Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Access E-Mail ?

Comments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by Vhaln

Seems like a bad plan to me.  Going to stress out a lot of eager fans, waiting all day every day, until they get the email.  Why not just tell people when they get in?  They could send out all the emails at once(ish) saying you get in on the 13th at 1pm, you get in on the 14th at 7am, you get in on the 15th at 5pm, etc, etc..

Probably because if things go better than expected, they may invite more people from group c (15th date)  when they open early access for group b (14th date) players. Nothing is set in stone so why go with something rigid like a preset schedule when you can get more players in earlier? No, I think it's best if they do it like it is, that way they are not liable to be held to any specific date for disgruntled players to bitch about.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Seems like a bad plan to me.  Going to stress out a lot of eager fans, waiting all day every day, until they get the email.  Why not just tell people when they get in?  They could send out all the emails at once(ish) saying you get in on the 13th at 1pm, you get in on the 14th at 7am, you get in on the 15th at 5pm, etc, etc..

Reasoning behind this (from Bioware) is that things could change.   Let's say, Dec 13 comes along and let the first wave of players come in.   It goes so well, they increase the players for the next day.   It's their reasoning, which I think could be done in waves of hours instead of days... but that's just me.   No other MMO has ever done this so have to see how this process will test the patience of the players.

Look at it this way...people complain now that they have to wait 5+ hours to get in a game after a huge patch or expansion.  You think people will be happily and patiently waiting for days to play for early access?  I doubt it highly.   People are suffering through withdrawals just waiting for Tuesday morning.  Think about the fact that some people will be playing and the majority will be sitting on thier hands waiting for a silly e-mail for access.   We will see how this turns out this coming week.   Can be good or it can be an extremely shakey start for SWTOR.

Also, I don't know about you but waiting 30 minutes on a queue beats the hell out of not being able to play for days.  Which will be the case with this staggering experiment.   Here's to hoping this is the only time in MMO history that this happens.   Because just waiting to get that e-mail will be torture for ALOT of people.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Probably because if things go better than expected, they may invite more people from group c (15th date)  when they open early access for group b (14th date) players. Nothing is set in stone so why go with something rigid like a preset schedule when you can get more players in earlier? No, I think it's best if they do it like it is, that way they are not liable to be held to any specific date for disgruntled players to bitch about.

I would have done a hybrid. A blanket email telling folks that they would start on Day X but depending on server capacities/roll-out issues they might get an earlier slot for access. Check your email and spam folder often..etc.

That way, folks wouldn't be on pins and needles waiting for Day 1,2, 3 etc (like myself, of course) due to 'not knowing'. . And they would still be jazzed/psyched about the possible upgrade/earlier access.

Originally posted by Digna

I would have done a hybrid. A blanket email telling folks that they would start on Day X but depending on server capacities/roll-out issues they might get an earlier slot for access. Check your email and spam folder often..etc.

That way, folks wouldn't be on pins and needles waiting for Day 1,2, 3 etc (like myself, of course) due to 'not knowing'. . And they would still be jazzed/psyched about the possible upgrade/earlier access.

That would make too much sense :)  I agree with you but for some reason BW/EA doesn't agree.

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by Ryuke

I had an email last week with the client download link and also notification that invite emails will start going out on 13th Dec. Did you have that at least? If so, there won't be anything until Tuesday at the earliest depending on when you entered your early access key after pre-order etc etc.

Same.

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

Originally posted by BarryManilow

Originally posted by Digna

That would make too much sense :)  I agree with you but for some reason BW/EA doesn't agree.

If the peons ruled...the world would be a different place....;P

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Staggering is just a good idea.  Even if goes better than expected, they should stick to it, in my opinion.  Changing things at the last minute would just be a chance to toss a wrench into the works, for no good reason.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Staggering is just a good idea.  Even if goes better than expected, they should stick to it, in my opinion.  Changing things at the last minute would just be a chance to toss a wrench into the works, for no good reason.

I don't think they will change it now, other than possibly bumping people (from behind the scenes) up/down the list depending on actual numbers who jump in on any given day.

• sonicboomsonicboom Member Posts: 29

My Client Is Downloaded and Installed Ready To go.

This is the part where cameron goes berserk!

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by NasherUK

They said they will send an email on the day you get your access. If you ordered within the first week of pre-orders then your most likely to get in on the 13th. If you ordered within the last 2 months you might get 1 day :P

One day of EGA for anyone is highly doubtly.   During the stress test weekend, they had around 750k in 2 days time of staggering access.  It was going to be done in 3 stages but was brought down to 2 stages because it went suprisingly well.   They now have alot more servers for EGA and will front load more players instead of leaving it at the back end.  

So it's not going to take 6 whole days to get 1+ million or so EGA players in the game.  I just think it's mostly wishful thinking on the part of people that pre-ordered early to get as much time on thier given servers a greater head start on other players.

Gaming is filled with elitism so yeah, I think you're right.  There's a lot of people out there who just want to be able to say two years down the road "Well I've been playing this game since the first day of early access so what you say has no validity".  I've seen that so much before in other games like AoC which had 5 days of early access and YEARS later you still see people in General chat saying "Yeah, well I've been playing since the first day of early access, so shut up".  lol

• NiurNiur Member UncommonPosts: 47

On a slightly different note regarding the early access and pre order, I'm wondering if anyone knows when the payment for the pre order will be taken? I pre-ordered on day one through Origin, and they took my £5 with £54.99 still to pay. If I get in the game via the early start on the 13th, will they take the rest of my money then, or will they wait until the official launch date of £20th?

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by lovefist

On a slightly different note regarding the early access and pre order, I'm wondering if anyone knows when the payment for the pre order will be taken? I pre-ordered on day one through Origin, and they took my £5 with £54.99 still to pay. If I get in the game via the early start on the 13th, will they take the rest of my money then, or will they wait until the official launch date of £20th?

A post on the forums before they shut down said physical copies ordered from origin will be charged on the 13th. Thats when the physical copies from origin orders are being shipped out. Digital copies will be charged on the 16th since thats when they are starting to email the game codes for digital copies.

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by lovefist

Theyve already said. Multiple times.

Origin are sending out the retail codes on teh 16th, so you will be charged the remaining amout on the 16th.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I'm curious why everyone seems to think they will only be sending 1 wave out a day. Because thats how the stress test weekend went? All they have said for sure is the first invites will be sent out at 7am on the 13th. They also said that just because you pre-ordered day 1 doesnt mean you will get in day 1 depending on how it goes. That tells me there will be multiple waves on the same day potentially.

Also concider with nearly 800k people on thanksgiving weekend done in 2 days and it went so smoothly they could get a big head on them. Dont forget this is Biowares FIRST mmorpg launch. They may verry well think they are ready to let in 800k in the first wave, blow up servers and no one will be playing a full 7 days lol.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

They said they will send an email on the day you get your access. If you ordered within the first week of pre-orders then your most likely to get in on the 13th. If you ordered within the last 2 months you might get 1 day :P

One day of EGA for anyone is highly doubtly.   During the stress test weekend, they had around 750k in 2 days time of staggering access.  It was going to be done in 3 stages but was brought down to 2 stages because it went suprisingly well.   They now have alot more servers for EGA and will front load more players instead of leaving it at the back end.  

So it's not going to take 6 whole days to get 1+ million or so EGA players in the game.  I just think it's mostly wishful thinking on the part of people that pre-ordered early to get as much time on thier given servers a greater head start on other players.

This ^

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

Originally posted by xenogias

I'm curious why everyone seems to think they will only be sending 1 wave out a day. Because thats how the stress test weekend went? All they have said for sure is the first invites will be sent out at 7am on the 13th. They also said that just because you pre-ordered day 1 doesnt mean you will get in day 1 depending on how it goes. That tells me there will be multiple waves on the same day potentially.

Also concider with nearly 800k people on thanksgiving weekend done in 2 days and it went so smoothly they could get a big head on them. Dont forget this is Biowares FIRST mmorpg launch. They may verry well think they are ready to let in 800k in the first wave, blow up servers and no one will be playing a full 7 days lol.

No idea honestly,  BW/EA has not made it 100% clear if they will do it daily or hourly.  It's just assumed by the wording that it will be  per 24 hour cycle.   Some have asked on twitter about this, and they just parrot the offical statement that we all read.  That we will be informed via e-mail the day you can log in.   Which really doesn't answer the question if it means it could be hourly or daily. 

• PenryPenry Member UncommonPosts: 6

I pre-ordered on Dec 3rd, entered the code. Recieved early-access email on Dec 7th for Tuesday Dec 13th, 7 AM CST.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by rlutonjr

I pre-ordered on Dec 3rd, entered the code. Recieved early-access email on Dec 7th for Tuesday Dec 13th, 7 AM CST.

Bioware has already announced that they would not even be sending the email out until the 13th for the first group.  Further clarification has stated that each subsequent group will recieve the email the DAY of Early Access.  You should REALLY go read your email closer because I can tell you BEYOND a shadow of a doubt, early access emails have NOT been sent out.

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by rlutonjr

Read the email again. It says invites will start to go out at that date and time. 

Nowhere does it state that you will get access then. Especially since you are in the final wave, meaning you will be lucky to get 1, MAYBE 2 days EGA.

• ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by xenogiasDont forget this is Biowares FIRST mmorpg launch. They may verry well think they are ready to let in 800k in the first wave, blow up servers and no one will be playing a full 7 days lol.

*knocks on wood* Dude, don't jinx things :p . Looking forward to seeing what the next couple of days bring.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Something I'm wondering about... if I get my CE on Tuesday (highly likely), then if I add the CE code to my account will it give me access to the game? :)

• You will get an email the day of from what I have understood about the correspondance so far. If you pre-load the game just try and log in each day starting on the 13th. Obviously the further away from the first day of pre-orders the more days which will elapse with the 13th being those who pre-ordered the first day, 14th being those who pre-ordered the first week, 15th being those who pre-ordered the first month and so on up to the 19th with those who pre-ordered it within the last few weeks is my guess. Who knows what they will do, but my guess is emails won't go out until the servers are up and good to support players.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by echolynfan

This ^

Not only that, but I also think Bioware has moved the Early Access up a couple of days to ensure that most people, no matter how late they pre-ordered, will get  pretty close to as many of those original 5 days as possible.  They won't say this publicly because they want to leave themselves some wiggle room in case unforseen issues arise with stability, but my guess is that the majority of people will be in by the 15th or 16th.

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Originally posted by echolynfan

This ^

Not only that, but I also think Bioware has moved the Early Access up a couple of days to ensure that most people, no matter how late they pre-ordered, will get  pretty close to as many of those original 5 days as possible.  They won't say this publicly because they want to leave themselves some wiggle room in case unforseen issues arise with stability, but my guess is that the majority of people will be in by the 15th or 16th.

I agree here. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by evianwater

Has anyone had any word about this ? Two days from the start of early access (from some) and there's nada, should we perhaps expect it Monday ? Or just try to log in on Tuesday..

Yes we know the answer.

You will get an email ON THE DAY YOU ARE ALLOWED INTO ea.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"