Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you had to choose one IP/World for the next super quality, extreme good/succesful fantasy MMO. Wh

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

Originally posted by Arakane

I would actually vote for  "Amber"- the nine princes etc.

Amber is amazing. but only if you are one of nine princes. There can not be 1 million princes :D

And making shadow melding in gameplay , thats amazing, but impossible.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Where the hell is the Elder Scrolls?

I would pick a world that a friend of mine created, that he uses for a pen and paper rpg, best fantasy world ever, best elves ever....

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81

gundam wing, fighting in your moblile suit for the sake of the space colonies or the united earth sphere alliance.flying through space and upgrading your mech,mining gundanium for producing parts. wish my dream came true...

• AngelfireAngelfire Member Posts: 145

Hrmm... I still say the various Games Workshop materials are under exploited... I'm happy to see Warhammer 40k being given a go though and hope it turns out well. I could see one of thier more obscure games Necromunda being a great MMORPG too.

BUT that said if I had my pick which is kinda what the thread is about yeah? I'd choose a RPG called Shadowrun. Its practically made for it and that GOD AWEFUL atrocity of a FPS they made instead from it was a travesty.

Now the devils option... (and you are gonna hit me for this cause I am being serious too..) is Pokemon .. no .. yes.. really. Granted it might not be a mainstream adult choice but the story and the idea has potential .. especially in light of how popular pet classes generally are in MMOs.. a MMo based around capturing, training and battling pets .. it could work from a gameplay potential view, and theres a TON of source material to draw from. But I'd MUCH prefer Shadowrun. :p

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Walking Dead.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Mass Effect.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

Forgotten Realms

• Cactus-ManCactus-Man Member Posts: 572

Other than the popular ones already made into games I don't know about the rest of the IPs listed.

I pick Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light

Look it up

All men think they're fascinating. In my case, it's justified

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by Elricmerren

Much rather see the ip for the Coldfire trilogy turneed into a mmos then those.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldfire_Trilogy

Great books, not sure about MMO'ability though

I self identify as a monkey.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Originally posted by Elricmerren

Much rather see the ip for the Coldfire trilogy turneed into a mmos then those.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldfire_Trilogy

Great books, not sure about MMO'ability though

got a little dry at times, Tarrant and Vryce were pretty cool.

I would love to see the MYTH series turned into a game. Not your typical fantasy setting at all.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Rats of NIMH   or   Watership Down

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

B5  (5 years of storyline) Excalibur and the movies really is a Mo in waiting.

The Shannara books (oops never saw poll voted for anyway)

Raymond E Feist  (Riftwar saga how this is done god knows as there are 32 books in the series !!)

Firefly (Yep that old chestnut again) image

p>
  • jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Of the ones you listed, I had to go with warcraft just for nostalgia reasons. And I think it would be  really interesting to see what you could do with the IP in a different set of circumstances.  Like turning it into an action mmo, or even a sandbox. If it was just another plain themepark then I'd go with wheel of time.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

If I HAD to choose a fantasy setting I'd go with Krull. Then I could have my fantasy and sci-fi all rolled into one! image Plus with Krull you don't have to worry about the IP anchor dragging it down because it's a fairly known, but completely original IP.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

It's not going to sound like a breath of fresh air or anything, but among the ones you listed, I'd go with Forgotten Realms.

If we could pick anything, I'd definitely go with Planescape. :)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Ramonski7
    If I HAD to choose a fantasy setting I'd go with Krull. Then I could have my fantasy and sci-fi all rolled into one! Plus with Krull you don't have to worry about the IP anchor dragging it down because it's a fairly known, but completely original IP.

Krull the movie from the 80's? Not a bad idea. The world is established, but we only see a small part of it leaving the rest open for interpretation. Not only that, but if you change the IP for the game, not many people are going to flip out.

** edit **
    Not only that, making any sort of sense wouldn't be necessary.

** Spoiler Alert **

The movie ends when the lead characters realize they have the power to kill the bad guy for absolutely no reason at all. There's no hint or clue that it would happen, and nothing to indicate that they are smart enough to figure it out on their own, but in just under 10 seconds, they figure it out and kill the bad guy.

** Spoiler Alert **

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I'd go with Planescape too. Whilst I readily admit to being a huge fan of the Torment game I felt the setting was so awesome it should have been explored far further by videogames.

My list of fave IP's I personally would love as MMO's:

6/ Oddworld (Abe's Odyssey etc)

5/ Bladerunner/Predator/Alien

4/ The Elder Scrolls

3/ Discworld

2/ Dune

1/ Planescape

• MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97

I would go with an MMO based on GRR Martins  " A Song of Ice and Fire"  Series. I would like it to have a look and feel like Skyrim: dark cold and gritty, but in the War of the Roses era in England.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Did not vote what a terible list, it give me nightmares.

With this list for next best mmo's we get crappy mmo's for years to come, you gamers never learn.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I voted Wheel of Time.  Robert Jordan created such a vast and diverse world.  It would be interesting to see how would be developed into an MMO.  With the right developers, it could be a delight to play.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, Forgotten Realms!

• WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

WARHAMMER

WARHAMMER

I think the world of Necroscope would be awsome.  It would be something like TSW but with a supernatural feel.

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

Funny that you limit it to fantasy and then omit Elder Scrolls. However the only IP I would be interested in except Star Wars is:

Mass Effect

StarCraft

Elder Scrolls 

I'm really not interesed in anything else, tough still open to new IPs if something cool comes along.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Ramonski7

If I HAD to choose a fantasy setting I'd go with Krull. Then I could have my fantasy and sci-fi all rolled into one! Plus with Krull you don't have to worry about the IP anchor dragging it down because it's a fairly known, but completely original IP.

Krull the movie from the 80's? Not a bad idea. The world is established, but we only see a small part of it leaving the rest open for interpretation. Not only that, but if you change the IP for the game, not many people are going to flip out.

** edit **

Not only that, making any sort of sense wouldn't be necessary.

** Spoiler Alert **

The movie ends when the lead characters realize they have the power to kill the bad guy for absolutely no reason at all. There's no hint or clue that it would happen, and nothing to indicate that they are smart enough to figure it out on their own, but in just under 10 seconds, they figure it out and kill the bad guy.

** Spoiler Alert **

Don't know about a good MMO, but great classic film!