Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Every MMORPG out or in development has been ruined for me by Skyrim.

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Its because in Skyrim we see natural evolution of games : Daggerfal -> Morrowind -> Oblivion ->Skyrim

While in MMO we are seeing de-evolution : UO -> EQ -> WOW ->SWTOR

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Morrowind anyone remember that game? Skyrim is not something special really unless you never played any of the previous title. Games like these have existed for a long time but never had any effect on how i enjoy MMOS.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

What is Skyrim?

Originally posted by Zeal77

What is Skyrim?

just an overrated game that is used as an excuse to take out frustration on themepark MMOS.

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Its because in Skyrim we see natural evolution of games : Daggerfal -> Morrowind -> Oblivion ->Skyrim

Oblivion actually had attributes amongst other things making Skyrim dumbed down for console gamers...tough argument...

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by WoW_Refugee

I know, I know. There's really no practical way a developer could make an MMORPG that looks as stunning as Skyrim, a single player RPG. The hardware requirements for a game like that with MMO-level crowds running around would be impractical. Not to mention, the resulting MMO probably wouldn't be as good because they wouldn't be able to tune a world like that to masses of players (or you'd end up with instancing and phasing...and then you're just playing a single-player game anyway).
    It's unfortunate, because now that I'm playing Skyrim, every single video I see of any MMORPG- and yes, that means Guild Wars 2 as well -just looks so incredibly bland and boring. *sigh*

I dont know really,i mean if you are talking about looks then ArcheAge looks very good for a MMO.I have been lucky enough to play GW2 for two years running at GamesCom and this year i have to say the world and graphic look A1.One of my main concerns for GW2 or should i say my only concern is whether many people will be able to run it.If you are expecting to do a lot of WvWvW an DE,which you have to do then you will have to have at least a mid range PC.And to be honest Skyrin comes second to how The Witcher 2 looks,now graphics like that in an MMO would be somthing else.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I enjoyed Skyrim, immensley in places. After about 150 hours it started to feel 'samey'. As for graphics (which seemed to be the main thrust of the OP), I thought they where good but again rather samey (as you might expect in a single region) even the 'lusher' areas where fairly bleak and everthing had a kind of greyish cast (again as you might expect).

It is worth pointing out that Skyrim is quite sandboxy (despite it's many quests) maybe a decent AAA sandbox MMORPG would actually do well. I have always thought so at least.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

I'm confused. How is finding a good game bad?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

I know the feeling. Nothing in the works, and nothing for years, surely, could possibly compete. But you have to give up things for a multiplayer experience, graphics among them. It is just the world we live in, and the technical limitations we have right now. Perhaps it won't always be that way, but for now, we have to deal with the limitations of the technology. You can't have a world like that that can adapt to hundreds or thousands of players. GW2 might be great, but it won't be like Skyrim.

I agree, especially about having to give up things for a multiplayer experience. And I think the problem is, more and more developers are faling to make the most of the potential of a massively multiplayer environment. Group combat and raids and PVP instances are there, but meaningful persistent interaction outside of guids is on a decline, sense of community on servers is on a decline, and most important to me. the potential for surprising things happening is on a decline. The whole social gameplay aspect is on a decline. 

So MMORPGs find themselves competing on (and being judged by) aspects that are too close for comfort to those found in single player or limited multiplayer games. And by this outlook, it's unavoidable that they seem somewhat bland. 

Skyrim did put things in perspective for me in some ways, and most important of them all was how fun and engrossing gaming can be - the games (not just MMOs) of the recent years frankly had let me forget that feeling. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

I know, I know. There's really no practical way a developer could make an MMORPG that looks as stunning as Skyrim, a single player RPG. The hardware requirements for a game like that with MMO-level crowds running around would be impractical. Not to mention, the resulting MMO probably wouldn't be as good because they wouldn't be able to tune a world like that to masses of players (or you'd end up with instancing and phasing...and then you're just playing a single-player game anyway).
    It's unfortunate, because now that I'm playing Skyrim, every single video I see of any MMORPG- and yes, that means Guild Wars 2 as well -just looks so incredibly bland and boring. *sigh*

well, let's say it this way:
    skyrim has NO BALANCE at all, no way you could make an mmo like that :)

well yes, you could, but we allready have WoW (just talking of balance now, not of gfx, god beware hehe), why make another one *G*

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

I would call it a devolution. I guess depends how you see it?

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Ehh Skyrim was fun, but it just reminded me of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, just seems like your running through the same area of mountains and forest forever, and messing with the same dragons and same giants/trolls throughout the majority of the game. The Morrowing series has always been execptional at being extremly stale for gameplay, but for those who like lots of action, engaging music, and involved story this games not really for you, Skyrims all about putting the story there but not engaging you into it. Very Blah

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by onthestick

I would call it a devolution. I guess depends how you see it?

Ive not played Arena so i can't judge about that game but ive played Daggerfall and from what i can remember i had alot trouble with bugs and huge world with alot empty space. Morrowind was and still is for me best in Serie's after that devolution started.

But not DUNGEONS from Skyrim they are absolutely BEST improvement in series so far sinds Arena and best part of Skyrim plus gorgeous graphcis even tho its a DX9 console port, the PC with higher resolution and anti alising show a beautifull realistic world.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Well Skyrim kind of remind us that a real computer role playing game is possible, which isn't very obvious today, especially in the mmo genre. Look at how much people are so confident in the fact mmo with some rpg is impossible, remind me claiming everywhere mmo combat without trinity is impossible. So sad how low it have gone.

And i disagree with the poster above, i never found that much action in any other Tes as i did in Skyrim. They are tons of content and quest, the music and sound is great, you don't even need to follow quest lines anymore. And really is it that hard to open your quest journal to follow the quest lines if you really want to be part of them? seam like some people never have enough hand holding, the stories are there everywhere, if you don't feel part of them it really because you don't want. They are books everywhere to read about the place you are visiting in game just read them if you dislike quest journal, jez.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I dont know, Skyrim is good but not that good,  it has the same talent tree as most mmo's , its a single player game, and for me that gets boring as hell, way more fun playing with freinds.

And I find graphics in most AAA MMO's are pretty decent, but hey if glad you are enjoying skyrim.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Do what I do, simply dont play it and not have to make pointless threads like this complaining :)

• SkyProphetSkyProphet Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by eycel

Do what I do, simply dont play it and not have to make pointless threads like this complaining :)

It's not a pointless thread. MMORPG's were born in virtual worlds. All the way up to vanilla WOW. You can't remove the virtual world part in new mmorpgs and then expect the customers to not notice the difference. The price goes up, the action is more intense, but the overall experience will always feel more shallow than those that came before.

"It's the virtual world stupid"

• WoW_RefugeeWoW_Refugee Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by Vonatar

I don't get it.

I love Skyrim. It's every superlative you can think of, but in the end it's a single player game. Every MMO I've played for more than 5 minutes has been down to the people I met, helped, grouped with, hung out with. They kept me playing, not the graphics or quests or storylines but simply people. Surely that's why you play MMOs - to play with other people?

Not really, no. Most people who play MMOs nowadays strike me as very annoying. I blame it on *that* MMO...you know the one I'm talking about. I won't even deign to name it. Usually I play with the same cadre of people I've been playing MMOs with since I first started playing EQ in 99. And forgive me, but for me...personally... " the graphics or quests or storylines..." is what makes an MMO. What you describe sounds more like a graphical interface to a chat room.

I already chat with my friends every day. I don't need a bland, generic, cookie-cutter online RPG for that.

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

Do what I did.

Figure out that Skyrim is just an MMORPG without the MMO.

Over-rated game if you ask me.

I stopped playing when I had to burn down the bee's nest in the Thieves guild quest chain.

Future MMOs with a focus on Story makes single player games by Bentheda obsolite for me. GTA is still fun because you can drive around and kill people.

Originally posted by Ecoces

in the same boat i haven't been able to play a MMORPG without wishing it was more like skyrim. i basically quit the SWTOR beta because it wasn't skyrim and the SWTOR world felt dead compared to that of Skyrim.

oh im at quest hub 1, then after i do these quests i will go to quest hub 2 ... and so on and so forth. in skyrim after finishing the dark brotherhood line (HAIL SITHIS!!!!!!!!) i found myself just jumping in and thinking "im going to head west today". then as i said in a post a long time ago I was like the curiosity core of Portal as im travelling ...

"ooo whats that"

"what is that"

"hey look at that thing"

"ooo hey whats over there"

"oooo that thing has numbers on it"

"oh whats that over there"

"whats in heeerreeee?"

sorry but when an MMORPG can make me do that I will probably stick with.

That's the real draw of Skyrim for me. Yes, the graphics are gasp-inducing. But the sound is also near-perfect, the music is beyond excellent (there's this one tune that plays now and again near Whiterun- oh the violin -that just makes me stop and listen) and I don't know in advance what I'm going to find or where I am going to go. Sometimes, I just say "Ima go that way", and I explore every cave, ruin, fort, castle, labyrinth, and tomb I come across.

It's really suprising to see how bland most MMOs are in comparison.

Originally posted by Khrymson

I know, I know. There's really no practical way a developer could make an MMORPG that looks as stunning as Skyrim, a single player RPG.

FFXIV would like to say Hi, and disagree with you!  An MMO can look just as good as a 1P game, but at the same time I will agree that an MMO cannot quite possess the level of interaction that Skyrim or rather the Elder Scrolls series allows.

I played Final Fantasy 14 from day one. It was fun for a month until I realized that every single square inch of Ul'dah, Gridania and Limsa Lominsa looked exactly like the first few feet right outside the city. Knowing in advance that the landscape way, wayyyyyyyy over there is going to look exactly like this little patch of dirt right here sort of ruins the whole idea of "exploring".

That being said, I will definitely give it another chance when FF14 2.0 launches.

Originally posted by pensseliseta

I used to be an MMO gamer like you, but then I took an arrow in the knee..

Well played, sir, well played! =)

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Originally posted by Ecoces

in the same boat i haven't been able to play a MMORPG without wishing it was more like skyrim. i basically quit the SWTOR beta because it wasn't skyrim and the SWTOR world felt dead compared to that of Skyrim.

oh im at quest hub 1, then after i do these quests i will go to quest hub 2 ... and so on and so forth. in skyrim after finishing the dark brotherhood line (HAIL SITHIS!!!!!!!!) i found myself just jumping in and thinking "im going to head west today". then as i said in a post a long time ago I was like the curiosity core of Portal as im travelling ...

"ooo whats that"

"what is that"

"hey look at that thing"

"ooo hey whats over there"

"oooo that thing has numbers on it"

"oh whats that over there"

"whats in heeerreeee?"

sorry but when an MMORPG can make me do that I will probably stick with.

That's the real draw of Skyrim for me. Yes, the graphics are gasp-inducing. But the sound is also near-perfect, the music is beyond excellent (there's this one tune that plays now and again near Whiterun- oh the violin -that just makes me stop and listen) and I don't know in advance what I'm going to find or where I am going to go. Sometimes, I just say "Ima go that way", and I explore every cave, ruin, fort, castle, labyrinth, and tomb I come across.

It's really suprising to see how bland most MMOs are in comparison.

While I enjoyed Skyrim for the week I played it, I couldn't help but feel alone without any actual HUMAN interaction. The fact it isn't an MMO, regardless of how life-like or gasp-inducing the graphics / music / gameplay are, makes me tire ultimately as I can never truly share any experience with a close friend or e-buddy.

MMOs are about the people, SRPGs are about the immersion. It'd be awesome to have one great at both, but that's very unlikely - though, I'm on the same boat that Skyrim should be an MMO. It's not though, and that is why I prefer to play MMOs in its stead.

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

Arche Age ...

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Excellent perspective.  From massively-multiplayer games being massively-multiplayer with more open-world and community-centric organic content & rich features, to being single / cooperative online role-playing with heavily instanced redundantly confining maps and inorganic content with limited features.