Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After playing SWTOR... why would anyone play wow?

1234568»

Comments

• FireForkFireFork Member Posts: 64

sadly i need to go, nice war we have here, who win ?

kiddies

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by onthestick

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I agree with everything you are saying but one. Please stop saying swtor is fully voiced because it is not a fully voiced MMO.The quest and story is voiced and thats about it,EQ2 when first released was nearly all voiced including NPCs that were random.I have been lucky enough to play GW2 for two years running at GamesCom and while running through DR every NPC was talking more than i heard in BioWares single player hybrid.ArenaNet have not spouted on about it because its not a major part of there game,its just there.

I love when people make up stuff to make their point. yes SWTOR is fully V.O, every single quest giver NPC in SWTOR uses V.O. is it simialr in EQ2? nope. I have been playing EQ2 for over 6 years now and the V.O is hit and miss. it is so random that some npc wil just stand quietly while other would say couple of lines and then keep quiet.

As far as GW2 is concerned it is always easy to make up stuff about a game which majority have not played yet. So i would wait till GW2 release and see for myself. Sorry but not buying what you are peddling.

Lol,you are just repeating what i said so i guest you are making it up,right.Which part of my post didn't you understand, was it the part where i said the quest givers in swtor are voiced or the part where i said the story is voiced? EQ2 is not fully voiced just like SWTOR is not fully voiced.For an MMO to claim fully voiced that means that every NPC even random would need to talk or say something when you click on them,that's not the case with SWTOR.If you want to class SWTOR as fully voiced then EQ2 and any other MMO that has quest givers that talk fully voiced.I dont need to make stuff up about GW2,i am not the only person that has played it and there are others that will tell you the same. Anyway SWTOR is not a fully voiced lMMO no matter how you try to convince yourself it is.

• DarthconnorDarthconnor Member UncommonPosts: 62

Originally posted by Rikus25

LoL, WoW have almost 7 years in the market, with how many expansions?. Swtor is not even out, and still is an amazing game, can you imagine swtor with few Updates and expansion?, guess not, but dont worry u will have the kunfu panda/ pokemon expansion soon enough.  

back to topic, after the last beta, i just cant play any other MMO in the market anymore.

LOL. You know I actually was contemplating going back and playing wow and also having a subscript with TOR. One fantasy and one sci-fi but when I read and seen the new expansion coming out I just forget it. Between the stupid motorcycle mount and Kung Fu Panda the only thing Blizzard is missing at this point is Jack Blacks voice over yelling Skaaa Doosch. Guess I will just have Rift as my Fantasy game until a new worth while fantasy game comes out.

I can say i actually resubbed Wow just for the fact as to have something to play while waiting on Tor. Was playing STO but the free to play has turned that game into a joke and the greed they have shown when it hasnt actually launched yet is astounding. Wow in its time was fun and i admit some parts of it i Still enjoy but some of the grinding and the unisteresting things it has you set out to do really kills it for me. Thought it'd keep me entertained for the week til SWTOR lets me in preorder but i was wrong. Granted ive never really been all that hyped on wow and their game but its a good well made game. Just think some of their choices as of late have been questionable to say the least. Dont like the constant tweaking i see them doing on classes and the cash shop on a pay to play game isnt really making me have higher hopes for them.

Plus after getting to do beta on SWTOR i doubt any other game gonna make me was break from TOR. The story's are just great even if they are alittle long drawn out its still you choosin what you want to do within that story line.

• ForumTrollForumTroll Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by Malckiah

Originally posted by kalinis

i have 3 reasons whyu ill still play wow

1 i still find it fun . sure after the vo in tor , tor is much more fun to me but i still enjoy wow.

2 for a break. When i need a break from tor wow is there for me and gives me a diffrent feeling game as its fantasy world vs star wars

3 because i have played it for 6 yrs and hope what they broke in cata they fix in mop.

I hate to say this....but look at the direction wow is headed... panda's! I think it is safe to say they are not planning on fixing anything.

i love how people think pandas ruin a game, Are you telling me there are no cute and cudly classes or pets in ToR? You will invest years into this game just like you did with WoW and then they will release and expansion you don't agree with. Then you will rage about it and move-on. So goes the life cycle of MMORPG's. If you dont like your entertainment being aimed towards children/teens, maybe you need to switch it up. It's a young mans world, you're just living in it.

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

• DarthconnorDarthconnor Member UncommonPosts: 62

Originally posted by fundayz

SWTOR is likely going to be a success due to the momentum it has, but....

Reasons to play WoW over SWTOR:

1. More PvP maps

2. Competitive PvP modes

3. More endgame content

4. More varied and less linear levelling content

5. More varied races to choose from

6. Guilds actually serve a purpose

7. (Arguably) better ambiance - WoWs ambience is pretty bad but SWTOR feels dead anytime when not in a cutscene

8. Each class can use a variety of weapons, as oppsoe to just one kind

9. More social content/non-combat activities

10. Add-ons

11. Better groupfinding

Reasons to play SWTOR over WoW:

1. Full Voice Over

2. Branching Story/Dialogue

3. Better graphics/animations

4. It's Star Wars/Sci-Fi

I don't give a rat's tail what game you want to play (in fact, I don't plan to play either game), but arguing that SWTOR is a more complete and deeper game than WoW is blatant fanboi-ism. It out-shines WoW in the story aspects, but it falls short of WoW in almost every other respect.

At least games such as WAR and AoC provided significantly different gameplay, too bad their respective developers fell flat on their face.

Im not saying its a bad list or thats its untrue but some reasons on the list for Wow are due to comparing a 7 year old game to one that hasnt hit the markets yet. Honestly i think alot of the complaints about SWtor will be settled down within a few months after launch. Not gonna garentee cause well to be honest ive seen Devs make a great game and totally drop the ball on doing the smallest things that pretty much all players wanted. I think that Bioware will come through as they seem to give a crap about their games and their Reputation.

Think in the end the biggest reasons to choose one or the other comes down to do you want to play in a fantasy midevil type game or a Space scifi type game.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

nothing would give me greater satisfaction if people would just stop comparing these two games, i have gone back and forth from liking to hating wow more than once and have just settled on begrudgingly giving bizzard credit for being better business men than everyone else so far in the mmo world. There are plenty of differences between the two games, the main similary is importance in the market place, and seriously can we just use the internet for something other than having the same conversation a million times over and over again  just reworded slightly .....ughh.....

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I don't play either but Blizzard designs some good games.  WoW is probably better and it DEFINITELY has more longevity.  SWTOR is a box seller, I would not count on it being around and pay to play in a few years.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I don't play either but Blizzard designs some good games.  WoW is probably better and it DEFINITELY has more longevity.  SWTOR is a box seller, I would not count on it being around and pay to play in a few years.

yes yes we got it you dislike Bioware and Swtor..read it like 100 times now..so what is new? what are you having for dinner?

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

OP played WoW for 4 years. Something tells me he will not be playing SWTOR for 4 years.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Malckiah

I am not trying to cut wow... I played wow for 4 years and enjoyed it. Wow obviously had alot of good things going for it or else why would so many people play it. But after playing SWTOR I can honestly say that in every way it is better than wow. But the reaon for this thread is not just to talk about how TOR is better, but to bring up a point:

SWTOR at its core of gameplay is very similar to wow... Everyone seems to agree that there is little to no trouble transitioning as all the controls are the same etc, etc. But TOR also has Full Voice over and an amazing storyline for each class. Not to mention that TOR's graphics are so much cleaner it's ridiculous! There is no question that if you say this game is jus like wow, you at least have to say it is just like wow, but new and improved in every way.

So, why would someone continue to play wow? TOR is obviously better. There isn't anything wow is offering that TOR isn't....well except elves and bad graphics. Well and lots of quest text to read. and panda's ....lol!

Some people like high fantasy with elves and such a lot more than sci-fi with lazer rifles and high tech world. The high-tech feeling in TOR is one of the biggest pro's I like about the title, you know, after 10 years of high fantasy elf mmorpgs mainly, it feels really fresh to shoot blasters and see hover cars flying around in big cities and ride swoop bike rather than a horse and so on.

Like Bethesda's flagships, the new Fallout series vs. Elder Scrolls, they are basically identical games with some tweaks and differences, but very different setting and themes, making them feel completely separate from eachothers and feeling completely unique experiences.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by fundayz

SWTOR is likely going to be a success due to the momentum it has, but....

Reasons to play WoW over SWTOR:

1. More PvP maps Most of them old and done to death however.

2. Competitive PvP modes While offering no world PvP content AT ALL. TOR offers plenty.

3. More endgame content Max level end-game content counts only.

4. More varied and less linear levelling content With no other story behind than "accept + grind" making the leveling content extremely boring. You still have to stay within level range = content.

5. More varied races to choose from With a lot less to customize once you have picked a race.

6. Guilds actually serve a purpose Guild's purpose is to get together, socialize, do group content. Fluff comes second.

7. (Arguably) better ambiance - WoWs ambience is pretty bad but SWTOR feels dead anytime when not in a cutscene WoW has no ambience besides few random NPC's walking around, I've seen that in TOR.

8. Each class can use a variety of weapons, as oppsoe to just one kind With each weapon having the same abilities and attack moves.

9. More social content/non-combat activities What vs. what?

10. Add-ons Are coming to TOR soon after launch.

11. Better groupfinding TOR does not have PvE "dungeon tool" in order to not fracture and kill server communities completely like in WoW, cross-realm dungeon finder is WoW's single most devastating server-community killing move ever done in mmorpgs.

Also taking into consideration WoW has 10 years of development time behind it, with 3 expansion packs.

• bestman22bestman22 Member UncommonPosts: 93

why is there even a debate over this yet again.... who cares what WOW does or doesnt do when SWTOR gets released... each game appeals to different people and neither is going to cause the death of the other... I enjoyed wow until cataclysm expansion then I quit 1 week after I saw how it played... I dont prefer wows direction of interesting mechanics being run out of this said ability or you are one shot and wipe and try again... I really dont like the new advertised talent trees for panda express... that is a personal choice for me.

Others too will make there own choice and listing reasons one is better than the other is completely pointless... beauty is in the eye of the beholder... what one person loves the other will find monotonous... like the cutscenes in black talon after 3 or 4 times its like space bar all ready... lets get moving, enough talking.... and with wow  its like click click click follow the arrow, kill 10 mobs, run back and click click again ad nauseum.

One person may love the cutscenes... another person may prefer click click kill.... that does not inherintly make one game better than the other, it just provides options.

Also looking at content isnt really fair to go by either... wow has 3 expansions behind it and is at the end cycle of this latest expansion.

that being said SWTOR  is at brand new not even released yet,  they have 2 to 3 raid dungeons that I know of right now which is all you had at cataclysm start too for max levels... which seems very similar on amount of content level if you are talking "end game".. I for one am glad there is no arena and hope there never will be... Arena caused so many fun abilities to get nerfed for pve too and I really dont want my pve gameplay effected by pvp balancing issues again.

• mainogremainogre Member UncommonPosts: 36

I'm a HUGE/long time WoW player. Played since beta, wow is a great game and still is a great game. Here are the reasons "I think" (IMO) SWTOR will attract interest from the WoW community.

1. It's different (a change of scenery)

2. Sci Fi

3. It's Star Wars

4. Voice-overs (even though im not too interested in them)

5. SWTOR has their own PVP setup

6. People that are more interested in 8man and 16man raids

7. People that like the graphics vs. wows graphics

8. People that dont want to play with care bear toons (pandas) and/or sick of all the other wow races

9. People that are sick and tired of the classes in wow and would like a little bit of a change

10. People that are tired of playing with kids and are looking for a more mature game *i hope this will be the case :)

11. People that want more of a challenge vs. wows

12. People that just bought a new computer that want to play a new game on it vs. a game thats been out for 8 years

13. Any "newer" wow players that are frustrated by all the wow vets that have 5+ lvl 85 toons and would like to be on par with the rest of the community.

14. PvE end game players where their guilds just fell apart recently and dont want to spend the time trying to find a new guild and/or friend base that raid during ** their available play times**

15. People that just want a different game to play

*** these are all my own opinoins***

• chopgrchopgr Member Posts: 179

Originally posted by slickbizzle

Some people still like elves and dwarves. It's a matter of preference.

I did find out an interesting thing about some SW bashing today.  My brother has a crappy computer.  He plays WoW and only WoW (We've both played together for years). He talks trash non-stop about any game that isn't Warcraft (i.e: any game his computer can't handle).  So finally today, I told him I'm definitely buying SW and making the move.  As usual, he goes into his routine as to why Warcraft is a superior game.  I said "Do you want me to buy you a computer so you can play SW and you pay me back in small payments?"

His reply: "Yes"

I'm banking that he's not the only one out there like that.

Thats the funniest comment i read the whole week! :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
    cried out
    And under the ashes of infinity,
    Hope, scarred and bleeding,
    breathed its last."

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by chopgr

I did find out an interesting thing about some SW bashing today.  My brother has a crappy computer.  He plays WoW and only WoW (We've both played together for years). He talks trash non-stop about any game that isn't Warcraft (i.e: any game his computer can't handle).  So finally today, I told him I'm definitely buying SW and making the move.  As usual, he goes into his routine as to why Warcraft is a superior game.  I said "Do you want me to buy you a computer so you can play SW and you pay me back in small payments?"

lmao thats brilliant :D

I guess it goes to show some people really stick to the game because of pride rather than genuinly believing it to be better.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

I dont know what youre talking about, I just play tetris. All mmo games are crap, and I bought my last computer 1995 :)

Ofc people are not gonna like it when their computer is not uptodate. Yet they are too pround and stupid to admit facts about themselves. Twice the pride, double the fall :)

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I stopped playing WoW after TBC - and I'm not looking back.

However, after playing SWtoR beta - my position is:

In every way that SWtoR is similar to WoW, WoW destroys SWtoR completely. This includes world design, atmosphere, combat flow and mechanics, PvP implementation, PvE quest design (not the voice-over quest presentation), sheer variety of activities, achievements (though I hate them), and so on.

WoW is simply executed with skill on a level that Bioware couldn't hope to achieve - no matter how much money they invest. They don't have the craftsmanship - and that's something you can't hope to buy with millions of dollars. That's an area where Blizzard is very, very strong - or at least they were when they originally made WoW vanilla. A dedication to the craft that must be nurtured through years of company policy and HR practices.

These days, I'm not sure - but WoW is still riding on an amazing core and technical foundation.

SWtoR has something going for it with the emphasis on story and voice-over content. That's a strong point that will get them a lot of positive attention for a while. However, once the story is told - the game becomes an inferior WoW. How to solve that? I don't know - as I don't think Bioware is capable of competing with Blizzard in terms of what I mentioned above. Maybe if they manage to implement a proper space combat model and they emphasise the kind of content WoW doesn't have. Something like better and more meaningful open world PvP, and better housing (space ship) features. That might work.

But, I don't see it - not really.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Why would anyone play either imo. Dumbed down kiddie rubbish with the sole perpose of making maximum coin.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I think Blilzzard has done a great job appealing to the 14 to 22 yr age group who are more interested in bounding their way to the top , they dont want to read text, they have very little patience, they are very group oriented as long as its their group, they dont do quests very well,  they would much rather raid in large groups, they read in school and do not want to do any more reading outside of school, Ritalin helps them but still they are like an energizer bunny.  Blizzard has realized this (prob cause members of their own development team are like this ) and have catered to and strategically done what has needed to be done.

What I find intersting is that Bioware has pulled off a mirical, they will be catering to the young crowd and to an older more patient crowd, their sophisticated voice overs and cut scenes will appeal to the story lovers and those of us who actually have patience and it will appeal to the wow crowd because all they have to do is listen, it takes no work on their part.  Bioware you are the Master and I applaud your marketing

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by karmath

Why would anyone play either imo. Dumbed down kiddie rubbish with the sole perpose of making maximum coin.

Every company is in here for making coin as far as kiddish is concerned GW2 seems as kiddish to me with cute Asura running around and did you forget charr plushies? i bet 100 bucks you either have one or wanted one.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• Jrx80Jrx80 Member Posts: 19

I Agree, that's completely awesome.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

To answer the OP, and hopefully not get too caught up in comparisons, I'll still play WoW for a number of reasons, but there is nothing to say I won't switch to SW:ToR later on.

One reason for sticking with WoW, in the short term, is a matter of history. Very few MMO launches seem to go smoothly. It seems to be that the more hype we see, the rockier the first month or two turns out. This is purely anecdotal of course so i hope the early adopters have a smooth experience. Personally, I don't really feel any pride with being a "day 1" player, so I'm fine waiting a few months to see how things develop.

Another reason is performance. In beta, the game was playable and I was able to manage in flash points, but I'd be hesitant to go into any sort of competitive scenario (such as pvp). I'm chalking this up to having been a beta build and maybe there is extra logging/debugging/etc that contributed to my systems performance. Again, this is another case where I am fine waiting a while after release, or even for a trial down the road, to see if my system is cool with it (or maybe I will have upgraded by then, who knows?).

Otherwise, the game is certainly fun. I can't deny that. One problem I had, running the trooper story for example, is that it seemed every other trooper there was also the last surviving member of Havoc Squad. Or every Sith Warrior was the prodigal initiate of what-his-name, soon to be enforcer of darth whoever. The story lines were great if I were the only person in the game world, but they were too specific for my tastes in an MMO setting. Might be silly to many, but it was just something that bugged me. 

One thing, that is not a game mechanic or feature, is the people I play with. Only one, that I know of, is planning to leave WoW for SW:ToR. Really, I enjoy playing with these people and that is another thing that will keep me in WoW for the time being. Otherwise, I have EvE for my sci-fi fix. Now if wife, income, and free time would permit, I'd be in SW:ToR in no time so don't mistake me for a hater. ;)

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence