Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After playing SWTOR... why would anyone play wow?

Comments

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

/facepalm @ title alone.

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

"The idea for World of Warcraft was originally 'We're going to make the best EverQuest that's ever been made.' Now, you can't say, 'Let's make the best WoW you could ever make.' Blizzard already did that."

~ Bill Roper, formerly of Blizzard

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

how about someone who are waiting for GW2  and they need to feed their mmorpgs' addiction but not WoW ?

i am.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by eddieg50

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Originally posted by eddieg50

I was playing wow a little a few days ago of course for free first 20 lvls and the difference is amazing, with wow you get the wall of text, uninteresting story , unexciting combat although not terrible, silly crafting, .  it is like night and day Star wars is so much better it is not funny, i dont think anyone who has played Star can possibly go back to wow without feeling dissapointed

Unless you're fussy and like games that have night and day.

The best night I have seen is in Lotro, the stars twinkle, it really looks like a dark night,

Ohh yes without a doubt Lotro had the most beautiful night and day transition, it was a marvel to see. Its a shame TOR won't have anything like that.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

id ask the same question..but like this..

after playing wow...why would anyone play swtor?

who really truly cares they are all mmo's / games ..if you dont like it "if you tryd it" the go on about yur biz ..the only thing that feeds these type of forums are topic like this from fan boies...but when someone questions the fan boies or questions about the game..they get warnings or bansor labled as trolls..its silly rly

if the game is good and you play it wether its wow / hello kitty / clone wars ...play it..dont change yur mind cuz all the other sheep want you to

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Siveria

Easy answer: A clone of world of warcraft like swtor is, is never as good as the orignal, thats one reason I can think of off the top of my head

Maybe that's why WoW was never as good as EQ?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Smitty88

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Smitty88

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by mindw0rk

Because WoW is much better? ToR has slightly better graphics, thats it

star wars is a better more widely know IP than warcraft, most people don't know anything about warcraft but everyone knows what star wars is.

Can you be any more ignorant?

Hundreds of millions of people are at least familiar with the name 'Star Wars', even if they don't remember the movies. Tens of millions of people are familiar with Warcraft and World of Warcraft.

Many, many more people might try SWToR because it's part of the Star Wars franchise that would try World of Warcraft because it's part of the Warcraft franchise.

It's a perfectly valid statement.

If you think only Tens of millions of people are familiar with WoW you are in a daze. Tens of millions play WoW. Hundreds of millions know about WoW. I see a commercial everyday about WoW, not soo many about TOR though. Either way im sure everyone that buys TOR knows about WoW.  Im not a fanboi, im just stateing the obvious.

The posts are referring to the IP, not the games. More people know about Star Wars than World of Warcraft. More people are likely to be walking through Target and pick up SWToR versus WoW based on the IP. It doesn't matter how many commercials Blizzard runs.

** edit **
    But assuming you're correct, that hundreds of millions of people know about WoW, that means hundreds of millions of people know about the game and chose not to play it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Omni1rbb

Originally posted by Siveria

Easy answer: A clone of world of warcraft like swtor is, is never as good as the orignal, thats one reason I can think of off the top of my head

Maybe that's why WoW was never as good as EQ?

WoW took elements from a lot of different games.  People who say its just an EQ-clone are really oversimplifying.  EQ didn't even have questing.  Neither did DAOC.  Or UO, or AC. Not the way every game since WoW does.  The only game that had quest-grinding pre-WoW was Anarchy Online, yet calling WoW an AO clone would be even more ridiculous.

edit: I keep forgetting SWG came out before WoW, too.  It had mission terminals, somewhat similar to those in AO.. and when you think about it, that's still a significant jump to having towns full of NPCs with exclamation marks over their heads that (IIRC?) we first saw in WoW.  

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Malckiah

I am not trying to cut wow... I played wow for 4 years and enjoyed it. Wow obviously had alot of good things going for it or else why would so many people play it. But after playing SWTOR I can honestly say that in every way it is better than wow. But the reaon for this thread is not just to talk about how TOR is better, but to bring up a point:

SWTOR at its core of gameplay is very similar to wow... Everyone seems to agree that there is little to no trouble transitioning as all the controls are the same etc, etc. But TOR also has Full Voice over and an amazing storyline for each class. Not to mention that TOR's graphics are so much cleaner it's ridiculous! There is no question that if you say this game is jus like wow, you at least have to say it is just like wow, but new and improved in every way.

So, why would someone continue to play wow? TOR is obviously better. There isn't anything wow is offering that TOR isn't....well except elves and bad graphics. Well and lots of quest text to read. and panda's ....lol!

Havnt read 17 pages of this thread so far but I will take a guess as to why.  Not that I am of this opinion but its a pretty valid argument none the less.

WoW has 7+ years of content, plus all the friends and aquaintences/guildies, the fact that you know you will always get a superb high production quality i neverything released and last but not least some people jsut dont want to start from the ground floor.  I liken it to a job, you think a fortune 500 middle management would want to quit his cozy, safe and fairly high paying job to join a startup company in the mailroom and try and work up through the ranks again?  Of course this is comparing apples to oranges but that mentality still exists, its the reason why people to this day still play games UO, AC, and EQ becasue sometimes starting over is freightening.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

So, why would someone continue to play wow? 

Because they like it better.

I did it! I found the answer!

• adennadenn Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by timtrack

lol  yep and why does it always come down to stupid post like the op's. Is it to hard to play both or more? I play wow/eve/mw3/sc2 and soon to be gw2 and swtor. Sure I don't become super uber at any of them but I get to enjoy all them.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

because they didn't like SWTOR, because they prefer a fantasy setting, etc, etc

I self identify as a monkey.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Dragons!!!

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by adenn

Originally posted by timtrack

lol  yep and why does it always come down to stupid post like the op's. Is it to hard to play both or more? I play wow/eve/mw3/sc2 and soon to be gw2 and swtor. Sure I don't become super uber at any of them but I get to enjoy all them.

I think it is... Should be trying to save humanity with all that free time you got instead of burning it away at video games! We are pretty close to WWIII

• DecoyTrooperDecoyTrooper Member Posts: 239

for the Horde!

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

I am not trying to cut wow... I played wow for 4 years and enjoyed it. Wow obviously had alot of good things going for it or else why would so many people play it. But after playing SWTOR I can honestly say that in every way it is better than wow. But the reaon for this thread is not just to talk about how TOR is better, but to bring up a point:

SWTOR at its core of gameplay is very similar to wow... Everyone seems to agree that there is little to no trouble transitioning as all the controls are the same etc, etc. But TOR also has Full Voice over and an amazing storyline for each class. Not to mention that TOR's graphics are so much cleaner it's ridiculous! There is no question that if you say this game is jus like wow, you at least have to say it is just like wow, but new and improved in every way.

So, why would someone continue to play wow? TOR is obviously better. There isn't anything wow is offering that TOR isn't....well except elves and bad graphics. Well and lots of quest text to read. and panda's ....lol!

You'd be surprised...

With the launch of TOR, WoW becomes the "good community " game by default.  Because many of the players that tend to make others game-time unpleasant will have left to go play TOR.

Why?

"Hardcore" gamers tend to be achiever and killer subtypes...There's nothing left to achieve in WoW really and the killers are going to go where they think the challenging opponents are.  What's funny there is that the sub base that keeps a game going longest are the socializers and explorers.. Which is what WoW will now be left with.

Likewise the mechanics of dungeon/raid-finder begin earning their keep due to lower population servers.

If I had to guess, I would say that the 50yr old and and up crowd will probably hang with WoW a bit longer likewise 6th graders and below.

There have been numerous threads on WoW's own forums regarding this and many of the posters have stated they are glad the game is launching if for no other reason than to get rid of the less savory members of the community.

Regardless, you really have to appreciate the foresight involved in implementing those finder systems...That's going to be a huge saving grace for WoW in the next 12 months.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by DecoyTrooper
    for the Horde!

That's pretty hard to argue with.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MDLsMDLs Member UncommonPosts: 3

I think this X is better then Y crap is yet another pointless fillup of these forums,

The original poster claimed it wasn't ment so, but secretly it was.

Why oh why are these people defending the game they like so much, with saying this game lacks this, or this is better then that..

Just say: I like (THIS) about this game,  (THIS) Looks promising, I liked (THIS) while playing the Beta or (THIS) disappointed me.... etc... etc....

That way the forum readers can actually form their own opinions on switching over or trying out the game.

My 2 cents

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

aha

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

SWTOR is likely going to be a success due to the momentum it has, but....

Reasons to play WoW over SWTOR:

1. More PvP maps

2. Competitive PvP modes

3. More endgame content

4. More varied and less linear levelling content

5. More varied races to choose from

6. Guilds actually serve a purpose

7. (Arguably) better ambiance - WoWs ambience is pretty bad but SWTOR feels dead anytime when not in a cutscene

8. Each class can use a variety of weapons, as oppsoe to just one kind

9. More social content/non-combat activities

10. Add-ons

11. Better groupfinding

Reasons to play SWTOR over WoW:

1. Full Voice Over

2. Branching Story/Dialogue

3. Better graphics/animations

4. It's Star Wars/Sci-Fi

I don't give a rat's tail what game you want to play (in fact, I don't plan to play either game), but arguing that SWTOR is a more complete and deeper game than WoW is blatant fanboi-ism. It out-shines WoW in the story aspects, but it falls short of WoW in almost every other respect.

At least games such as WAR and AoC provided significantly different gameplay, too bad their respective developers fell flat on their face.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Played WoW beta....didn't really like it....had more playing options that I liked at the time....Buying SWTOR....So I guess in this aspect, swtor wins...Don't really expect much from swtor, to make me forget any of my top 5 mmos...

I hope I am wrong, but I just don't see it ending well for my play style.  The stories are ok, good for mmos or whatever, but they don't seem to make much difference, except for what gear you can get...Companions....Meh....Its like having pets, ones that are often in my damn way when I click on things...So yeah they are different, and I don't hate what they have done, just wonder if they didn't do some of the VO stuff, what could they have done with that money, to put more features/content in the game.

Oh well, they got my money, I got something to keep me busy for a little bit....win/win I guess heh.  Never know, maybe I will like it more, when I get to see more of the game.  Just keeping expectations low, as I do not like feeling railed, and I am taking people word that the game 'opens' up later.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by fundayz

SWTOR is likely going to be a success due to the momentum it has, but....
    Reasons to play WoW over SWTOR:
    1. More PvP maps
    2. Competitive PvP modes
    3. More endgame content
    4. More varied and less linear levelling content
    5. More varied races to choose from
    6. Guilds actually serve a purpose
    7. (Arguably) better ambiance - WoWs ambience is pretty bad but SWTOR feels dead anytime when not in a cutscene
    8. Each class can use a variety of weapons, as oppsoe to just one kind
    9. More social content/non-combat activities
    10. Add-ons
    11. Better groupfinding

Reasons to play SWTOR over WoW:
    1. Full Voice Over
    2. Branching Story/Dialogue
    3. Better graphics/animations
    4. It's Star Wars/Sci-Fi

I don't give a rat's tail what game you want to play (in fact, I don't plan to play either game), but arguing that SWTOR is a more complete and deeper game than WoW is blatant fanboi-ism. It out-shines WoW in the story aspects, but it falls short of WoW in almost every other respect.
    At least games such as WAR and AoC provided significantly different gameplay, too bad their respective developers fell flat on their face.

I agree with everything you are saying but one. Please stop saying swtor is fully voiced because it is not a fully voiced MMO.The quest and story is voiced and thats about it,EQ2 when first released was nearly all voiced including NPCs that were random.I have been lucky enough to play GW2 for two years running at GamesCom and while running through DR every NPC was talking more than i heard in BioWares single player hybrid.ArenaNet have not spouted on about it because its not a major part of there game,its just there.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

Originally posted by returnintor

Originally posted by Sovrath

Probably becaus some people don't like the art designg or the voice overs or the story.

The things that you are touting as virtues are also things that others have decried.

Personally SWToR is more my speed for a themepark game (never got into wow) but I can easily see why others wouldn't want to play it.

LO, if you didn't get into WoW, you will never, ever get into SWTOR. For all your enthusiams and mad support for this game, I give you two months before you uninstall.

Would you say the same about LOTRO? Because I've pretty much been playing that since closed beta. And it's sort of in the same type of mmo family as WoW.

My reasons for not continuing WoW are not what you think. LOTRO was interesting to me, WoW was not.

If not then you will have to explain yourself further.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I agree with everything you are saying but one. Please stop saying swtor is fully voiced because it is not a fully voiced MMO.The quest and story is voiced and thats about it,EQ2 when first released was nearly all voiced including NPCs that were random.I have been lucky enough to play GW2 for two years running at GamesCom and while running through DR every NPC was talking more than i heard in BioWares single player hybrid.ArenaNet have not spouted on about it because its not a major part of there game,its just there.

I love when people make up stuff to make their point. yes SWTOR is fully V.O, every single quest giver NPC in SWTOR uses V.O. is it simialr in EQ2? nope. I have been playing EQ2 for over 6 years now and the V.O is hit and miss. it is so random that some npc wil just stand quietly while other would say couple of lines and then keep quiet.

As far as GW2 is concerned it is always easy to make up stuff about a game which majority have not played yet. So i would wait till GW2 release and see for myself. Sorry but not buying what you are peddling.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

now that i played the SWTOR beta, i just can't play the tradicional quests... not if the game is all about it. I can't play WoW or Lotro anymore (games i used to play). 

I guess i'm a fan of  voice overs and dynamic conversation in games.  

SWTOR will change the questing for many of us, i bet on that... 

My wow sub is running just because my girlfriend play with it... i tried to lvl a new warlock and i just couldn't.