Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After playing SWTOR... why would anyone play wow?

Comments

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

You didn't play squat, you farted around to level 13 over a weekend and now your the oracle of swtor.

Pffft save the drama for your mama, MILLLLLLIIIIIIOOOOONNNNNSSSSS of people will be playing this game in a few more days.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

After coloring with my right hand, why would I want to color with my right hand again?!

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,870

Originally posted by returnintor

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

This ^^.

WoW has lasted seven years and still has a long way to go. Why? Because it offers freedom and choice.

SWTOR offers neither. I think it will be P2P inside one year and closed down inside two.

Ah, the psychics this site breeds, really, Nostradamus has nothing on them image

Don't confuse wishful thinking for actual solid predictions. We'll see how things will be for SWTOR and WoW in the course of 2012 although from the decline that WoW is experiencing already, it doesn't look that good, although it's nice to see a number of people who've been bashing WoW for years on this site - not you - now rush as white knights to WoW's defense.

If you really hate/dislike SWTOR that much, simply move on to an MMORPG you do enjoy, this is clearly not the MMO you're looking for then.

When launch comes, we'll see which one of us was right.

I have to say, if you are going to resort to petty insults, you should atleast stick to the usual stuff. Don't claim you will see who was right at launch because launch is already looking to break some records. I would suggest rearranging statement to say 3-6months down the road,we'll see which one of us was right. While a predictable statement,it would appear to have some more credibility. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Malckiah

I am not trying to cut wow... I played wow for 4 years and enjoyed it. Wow obviously had alot of good things going for it or else why would so many people play it. But after playing SWTOR I can honestly say that in every way it is better than wow. But the reaon for this thread is not just to talk about how TOR is better, but to bring up a point:

SWTOR at its core of gameplay is very similar to wow... Everyone seems to agree that there is little to no trouble transitioning as all the controls are the same etc, etc. But TOR also has Full Voice over and an amazing storyline for each class. Not to mention that TOR's graphics are so much cleaner it's ridiculous! There is no question that if you say this game is jus like wow, you at least have to say it is just like wow, but new and improved in every way.

So, why would someone continue to play wow? TOR is obviously better. There isn't anything wow is offering that TOR isn't....well except elves and bad graphics. Well and lots of quest text to read. and panda's ....lol!

Personall, I think that SWTOR's problem is going to be not that it is like WoW but it is not like WoW enough.

WoW doesn't have one story that your character has to follow.

and WoW has how many stories?  Thats right none, the game is so storyless that the devs dont even follow the story as evident by re sweater dude at last years Blizzcon.

WoW has multiple zones that you can explore at any time.

I dont know or care how many ToR zones have but I will say WoW is the last thing that comes to mind when I think of exploration.

WoW's PVP options are complex and rich.

Wintergrasp and Tol Borad are the only world PvP elements in the game and they are only open at certain specific times of the day, I wouldnt even consider using hte words complex or rich to describe WoW's PvP.

WoW doesn't block your progress every five minutes with mind-numbling cliche'd dialogue.

As opposed to gather up all 20 quests at a quest hub, running off and finishing them as quickly as possible rushing to endgame.

WoW has genuine and diverse end game options.

Raid or Die is not necessarily considered a robust end game option.

WoW's social options are real and fun...  You mean like /dance, or doing once in a blue moon holiday quests.  Anyways there all pretty much fluff so I wouldnt even consider this content.

... etc etc.

Oh, and many people, I speculate, are going to find cutesie jawas with rocket launchers just as sickly sweet as panda monks.

No, WoW has nothing to fear from SWTOR.

I really dont want to get into a flame war or come off sounding trollish but REALLY?  You actually believe one of those sentences let alone all of them?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZezelZezel Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by Omni1rbb

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by newbo

I would have to guess that the only reason anyone would stick around in WoW after SWTOR releases is for one of three reasons:

1. They've already invested so much time into WoW and have established relationships in that game that there really isn't an incentive to switch to SWTOR.

2. They've never heard of SWTOR.

3. They don't like space themed games.

Or maybe because SW:ToR is not as good a game as WoW.   Maybe because SW:ToR lacks many things that WoW has, like night and day cycles, weather, a world that is more alive and less stagnate...maybe WoW has more options when starting a new character and you're not forced to follow a certain path when leveling, maybe because of these and "many" other things...makes WoW a better game.

I've never played a game that felt less alive or stagnant then WoW.  Keep telling youself these things and maybe someday they will come true...maybe.

Eleven million people say you're wrong.

Yes 11 million worldwide out of 6 billion.  Numbers put US subs at what 5-6 million with the rest overseas.

Oh yeah WoW went F2P.................enough said of the threat of "other games" to WoW.

If you don't like a game don't play it, and quit running to MMORPG.com to trash it.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Is "AMAZING STORYLINES" some kind of fanboy mantra?

They aren't all AMAZING.  Not even close.  I can't speak to the Imperial side, because I purposely never went there... but I beta'd this game for almost a year.

IMHO - on the Republic side they range from extremes of "lame" to "very entertaining" - with the other 2 in between.  Nothing comes close to the quality and detail of ME1 and I wouldn't rate any of the stories to be on par with KotoR 1 or 2...

I guess we'll all see in a few days... and can revisit all these topics over the coming months/year - but I can't helped by be reminded of the STO launch...

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by fadis

Is "AMAZING STORYLINES" some kind of fanboy mantra?

They aren't all AMAZING.  Not even close.  I can't speak to the Imperial side, because I purposely never went there... but I beta'd this game for almost a year.

IMHO - on the Republic side they range from extremes of "lame" to "very entertaining" - with the other 2 in between.  Nothing comes close to the quality and detail of ME1 and I wouldn't rate any of the stories to be on par with KotoR 1 or 2...

I guess we'll all see in a few days... and can revisit all these topics over the coming months/year - but I can't helped by be reminded of the STO launch...

I beta tested this game for almost a year too and i believe it is going to be nothing like STO launch. Is SWTOR perfect? nope but then what game is? and yes storylines are amazing for me too doesn't mean for you it is going to be the same. What is so fanboyish about it?

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• Home15Home15 Member Posts: 203

Kind of dumb to compare wow with swtor

Wow had 7 long years of content updates and patches + several expansion.

Thats 7 years, comparing a game that is just going to release.

MMO's need time to grow like a flower.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Star Wars will be the new MMO king, i had already stopped playing wow after BF3 release, any chance of ever returning to wow disappeared after seing what the new expansion was about, i intend to play SWTOR for many years, will ofc depend on luck, since the only reason wow lasted so long and grown to 12millions was because of the lack of quality mmo's had over the years. I hope Bioware keeps introducing smart content and not just random crap, like blizzard as been doing for the last 2 years.

• Originally posted by returnintor

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

WoW's PVP options are complex and rich.

Going to just touch on the four points in red:

2)  WoW's pvp options are complex and rich?  What?!?  Battlegrounds and Arenas.  That's it.  At least TOR has some open world FFA and resource control options.  

Did you ever play WoW?  

I'm just going to touch on one point:

"Battlegrounds and Arenas.  That's it." You obviously don't play on a WoW PVP server, do you?

You can gank low-levels on SWTOR PvP servers too, don't worry.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by Azaria

I would have to guess that the only reason anyone would stick around in WoW after SWTOR releases is for one of three reasons:

1. They've already invested so much time into WoW and have established relationships in that game that there really isn't an incentive to switch to SWTOR.

4. The pvp is actually better, sadly.

PvP is what you make of it, there is Open PvP and Battlegrounds, the test is when the game goes live. WoW certainly has decent PvP, shame it's all instanced though and ends up just a badge grind, but that still took time to get to that point.

5. There isn't any space in TOR either.

It's space on rails, but it's still space

6. Better PVE encounters for raiders.

TOR has plenty of interesting raids, pls point out the boss encounters in the end game that don't require tactics?

7. The world doesn't feel totally dead and the npcs actually move around.

Your being a bit of a sheep here and following whats some other ppl have posted, if you where in the beta you would have seen the complete opposite.

8. There are a few weapons that could pass for a lightsaber.

Oh damn now thats a real game breaker.

9. You can customize your appearance more than you can in TOR.

Haha are you really serious? last time I logged into wow I didn't see any sliders to make the horns on my Tauren any longer, you get a handful of options, thats it, it's as basic as you can get these days.

10. There are more races to play.

About the only truthful one in your list.

Theres is few reasons you may have missed.

• BreakNFacesBreakNFaces Member UncommonPosts: 77

I dont know why someone would actually compare TOR with WOW with the amount of content, Of course WOW would have more content, the game has been around since last century, Now go into the future 4 years

In my opinion TOR will easily match content if not beat it, remember MMORPG's are finite beings and WOW has had it's day but it's time is over.

Long Live Star Wars The Old Republic !!!!!!!

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335

Are you guys really debating this? It's like arguing which one is better a turd of a piece of crap? Both are sh*t.

SWTOR has a big flaw it has the game design concept that worked on 2004. SWTOR to me, as a core, is the same game WoW was 8 years ago but with little different fluff, theme and voice overs. There's NOTHING major different in SWTOR besides the "Story" part which is stupid. If I want to read a story I would read a book; if I want to watch a movie I would watch a movie. Voice Overs in an MMORPGs (in my opinion) is unncessary.

There's nothing revolutionary about SWTOR you're going to basically play the same game. Quest Driven, Instanced Grouping, Combat Focused, Almost same UI.. no one wants to radically introduce a new MMORPG concept. WoW was new in 2004 with a lot of this despite they did not innovate on anything but the UI was new, the Quest Driven approach was new the whole Casual Approach was new and Instance Grouping wasn't very common. Now SWTOR is just doing the same ol' MMORPG recipe. A lot of people are tired of this.

Just like Rift; SWTOR is going to be good for 2-3 months.

• BlasphimBlasphim Member UncommonPosts: 354

Again with this?  Really?  wasn't the last 50 threads of WoW vs TOR enough? 

I like beer, ale, lager, stout, and mead.  I also like whiskey, scotch, vodka, rum, and tequila.  They are different, but the end result is the same, I wake up in a foreign country with a parrot and a new best friend who calls me Frank....and that's the only word in english he knows....and it's not even my name....good times...good times.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

This thread is totally and completely full of virgins.

• jarbyjarby Member Posts: 77

I know a lot of people including myself who tasted swtor beta and dont wanna play it. Good story, but  nothing epic or fantastic just another  mmporg.  however its worth a try after realise. 

So, YES, i think many people would still  be playing wow and other mmorpgs as they always do

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Dear Trolls, "JUST STOP", Swtor is allready a hit MMO, you lost, WoW is going down in the westen market, with over 3 million preoders World wide making this the largest mmo preorder in the history of mmo's, Swtor will most likly at this rate have over 4 million subs after the first year. WoW will not die it will co exisit side by side with Swtor and thats a good thing, this will push Blizzard to pump out more content and up there game.

In the end trolls, WoW & Swtor will remain the largest sub MMO's in the World for the next few years to come, in the end we all as gamers will be happy.

My predictions for top mmo's in the westen & World wide market after a years time

Western market:

Swtor ~ 4+ million subs

WoW ~ 3+ million subs

World wide:

Swtor ~ 5+ million

WoW ~ 8+ million

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

Or maybe because SW:ToR is not as good a game as WoW.   Maybe because SW:ToR lacks many things that WoW has, like night and day cycles, weather, a world that is more alive and less stagnate...maybe WoW has more options when starting a new character and you're not forced to follow a certain path when leveling, maybe because of these and "many" other things...makes WoW a better game.

I've never played a game that felt less alive or stagnant then WoW.  Keep telling youself these things and maybe someday they will come true...maybe.

Ok, so if Isay "smoking meth is bad" are you going to tell me 20 million people say I'm wrong?  Stupidest argument in the world...

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Warjin

Dear Trolls, "JUST STOP", Swtor is allready a hit MMO, you lost, WoW is going down in the westen market, with over 3 million preoders World wide making this the largest mmo preorder in the history of mmo's, Swtor will most likly at this rate have over 4 million subs after the first year. WoW will not die it will co exisit side by side with Swtor and thats a good thing, this will push Blizzard to pump out more content and up there game.

In the end trolls, WoW & Swtor will remain the largest sub MMO's in the World for the next few years to come, in the end we all as gamers will be happy.

My predictions for top mmo's in the westen & World wide market after a years time

Western market:

Swtor ~ 4+ million subs

WoW ~ 3+ million subs

World wide:

Swtor ~ 5+ million

WoW ~ 8+ million

Better wash your hands...I'm pretty sure I know where you just pulled those numbers from.

Anyway, I agree that WoW and SWTOR can and will coexist, but not without animosity between the people who play one or the other exclusively.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Ok, so if Isay "smoking meth is bad" are you going to tell me 20 million people say I'm wrong?  Stupidest argument in the world...

Unless you are arguing that there are -objectively- good and bad games, yes.

But good luck proving that there is such thing as a "objectively good game" also if you do, give all the critics in the world a call to conform to your measurement.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Personally I wont play either but why would anyone play WoW over SW:TOR?

1. WoW has lots and lots of more PvE and PvP content.

2. Blizzard > Bioware (when it comes to MMORPGs)

3. Single player storylines

4. Orcs and Dragons

5. SW:TOR arcade space mini game

6. EA

7. Lucas Arts

8. Why switch from the real thing to a clone?

I am sure alot of WoW players will play SW:TOR but just like any other new triple A Themepark, most of them will go back to WoW in 3-6 months.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Zeal77

I can't think of any reason to play world of badgegrind.

What exactly do you think you'll be doing once you ding 50 in TOR?

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Originally posted by jdlamson75

Originally posted by Warjin

Western market:

Swtor ~ 4+ million subs

WoW ~ 3+ million subs

World wide:

Swtor ~ 5+ million

WoW ~ 8+ million

Better wash your hands...I'm pretty sure I know where you just pulled those numbers from.

Anyway, I agree that WoW and SWTOR can and will coexist, but not without animosity between the people who play one or the other exclusively.

I pulled them numbers from ass full of facts lol, the truth smells good, over 900k+ in US hard copies alone, the market showed that digital copies now make up over 70% of all game preoders, now factor in World wide hard & digital copies.

US only:

Hard copies over 900k and counting

Digital guess 1 million+

EU & World you can safely more then double that so 3+ million preorders

Logic http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/preorders.php US hard copies ONLY. with 3 weeks to go..........?...?...?

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Maybe it's just me, but i honestly didn't find the storyline that "amazing".

I haven't played any Bioware games in the past, and i heard a lot about their "epic"  "amazing" "awesome" story(lines), so i went into TOR, perhaps with expectations a little high. After playing a Jedi to about 16, i thought the story was OK. I played the Bounty Hunter to about 10, and found the story almost cheesy, and on par with a B-rated movie.

Better than most MMOs i suppose, but i would hardly call it "amazing", maybe i need i need to play a few more classes, and go farther into the story. Or is "amazing" just relative perhaps?

If i was to leave one similiar game, to come to this one, it wouldn't be for at least that reason as the OP said.

/shrug

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    After playing swtor,why would you leave WOW.