Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Open Letter to Bioware EA

Comments

• fatsodafatsoda Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by kiern

Well, the theory that it is a way for EA to make more money is ridiculous.  They offered the online purchase suggestion as an "option" for people that absolutely have to have it on the day it is released.  Believe it, or not, there are many people that will be just fine if they get the game a day or two later.

Certain people keep refering to it as a "Lie".  The guy made a mistake (which he appologized for).  It was likely something they were throwing around, but never made an official decision on.  People make mistakes.  Calling it a "Lie" and feigning rightious indignation is not going to change anything.  

Kiern

Unfortunately is was a lie. As after @rockjaw tweeted that their would be a grace period, there was a post on the official forums to confirm it, and then the early access / registration FAQ's were updated to shoe that there would be a Grace period. The companies auto response / form factor replies to the question "Will there be Grace Period" _still_ reply that yes their will be.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by fatsoda

Hello Bioware, Hello EA

I am to say the least. Angry. When the game was announced for release I was ecstatic I had been waiting for years to get access to the game, then I was told that I wouldn’t be able to play because I was Australian. I was devastated, further investigation revealed that I could play but that the game wouldn’t be “released” in my territory for a little while longer and that I would need to purchase the game myself. Well ok then! I can do that, and off I totted to Amazon and purchased a Physical CE.

I then started spruiking the game to my mates and getting them to purchase the game online. I was sure that there would be some sort of grace period as MMO’s allow a delivery period and a 30 day free usage. I wasn’t sure so I checked online and sure enough I was directed to post regarding something called a “Grace Period” and directed to check the FAQ. Both a post in the official game forums and the game FAQ assured us that there would be a “Grace Period” it didn’t say how long, but encouraged us to check closer to launch.

Sure enough as launch approached the “Grace Period” topic came up for discussion and were asked to be patient and that Stephen Reid (@rockjaw) would get back to us later that week with a reply.

No Reply

Not to worry Stephen Reid (@rockjaw) will reply by the end of this week

No Reply

We know your waiting but someone will tell you something soon

No Grace Period… at all

I have 12 people who bought the game on my say so, who trusted me and bought something on a promise because I trusted you. I’m not going to lie to you and tell you that I’m cancelling my order, because you and I both know I’m not going to do that. You’re the only game in town, unless I want to go back to a failed MMO or play with Kung Fu Panda’s , and I don’t.

So here I am, frustrated, annoyed and yeah more than a little disappointed In total I'm spending $179(AUD – $183.82US) to get the CE as soon as I can, but even then I still probably wont get it till the 24th or the 27th . That’s not even the real problem although its not an insignificant worry. The real problem is that you guys have lied to us and then have acted as if we are the ones who are acting irrationally or wrongly. You’ve left the Community Manager standing in public with this junk on a chopping block without anyway to get him down. How are we supposed to trust anything that is said by you guys now.

So no Bioware / EA, I’m not cancelling my order because I still want to play the game but I certainly wont be recommending it to anymore of my friends.

Brian

if i was the CEO or anyone profiting from this game this is the only thing i would take out of this whole lette.

and i would probably send him an extra 30 day extention because he did bring in 12 friends. (that have already also ordered the game)

honestly you just sent them a "good job guys"

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212

I understand the "no grace period" thing is an inconvenience and everything but.. Am I the only one who will just go read a book or something if I have to wait a day or two get it my physical copy?

Ordered from Amazon so apparently there will be a delay even though we we're supposed to get launch day shipping.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I am curious...is there a reason you are unable to buy a digital version of the game? From your vernacular I am assuming you are from Australia? I understand for most if not all games you are required to buy an Australian version for some reason or get a physical copy of an NA version shipped to you...just wondering why your not allowed to buy a digital version of the NA release.

Are there laws or something which prohibit this or is it because of Australian publishers or some other reason?

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

I’m not going to lie to you and tell you that I’m cancelling my order, because you and I both know I’m not going to do that.

I’m not cancelling my order because I still want to play the game

Brian

if i was the CEO or anyone profiting from this game this is the only thing i would take out of this whole lette.

and i would probably send him an extra 30 day extention because he did bring in 12 friends. (that have already also ordered the game)

honestly you just sent them a "good job guys"

Exactly.  If people are so offended, then cancel.  Don't act mad, give them your money and say "It's ok guys, I just wanted to vent".  No point.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• zerrinzerrin Member Posts: 14

@fatsoda I dont really know why your having such a flip out of this. They are moving the early game access up 2 days. But you gotta find something to be mad about. QQ mmmmmoooooorreeeee i like the taste of your tears. Oh and side note, you say you will not bring anymore friends into this. 2 weeks into the game you will be inviting more friends unless you have no more friends that play mmos. Good day sir.

• RaoraRaora Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by Ranyr

I understand the "no grace period" thing is an inconvenience and everything but.. Am I the only one who will just go read a book or something if I have to wait a day or two get it my physical copy?

Ordered from Amazon so apparently there will be a delay even though we we're supposed to get launch day shipping.

Just contacted Amazon. Game is shipping day of release.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Sephros

Originally posted by evilastro

Not sure who you preordered with, but I got an email today from Game saying I will have the box on the 15th, 5 days early so that there are no issues with the early access crossover.

Im in australia and ordering the CE from Amazon. My only options was the CE or SE from amazon. I chose the CE because i wanted this game to succed. Im not sorry i bought it, im sorry i recomended to my friends, and got involved enough to organise guilds.

Sorry because you will miss a few days?  Which if the game is good won't  matter 8 months from now?  Sorry I still don't see the tantrum worthy material. 

Yep but it doesn't matter how *you* see it.   I'm not saying you are wrong in your opinion and maybe on some level I even agree with you.

When a "for profit" business is launching an optional product into a saturated market during a bad economy... and the product really isn't any different (overall) than most of those large number of similar products.

One of the key things to bringing people into your product is the initial impression.   Pissing off what could become a larget segment of your potential customers is not a good start.   Simply because any other little thing that annoys them will be vastly magnified by something like this.

Pre-Orders started back in July... they have had months and months to be ready for this.   No retailer on this planet is going to hold inventory.. since they need to ship your pre-order to charge for it.   If any retailer is not shipping its because they don't have product.

Grace periods are normal.   When a company (ea/bioware) isn't getting the product where it needs to be... a simple solution would be a short grace period.   Exactly what major bad thing is going to happen by letting people who already played X days have a few extra because you screwed the pooch on getting the product out?   They are going to throw off the cosmic balance of MMO's because they had the industry standard grace period?

Because the damage caused by pissing people off on the 20th will far exceed any possible damage of a grace period.

Its just a point of view... if I wanted to make money off people its how I look at it.   If I couldn't play for a few days I don't really care but i'm not trying to make money off TOR... if I was.. there would be a grace period.. 

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429

Then cancel.  Whats the big deal?  I just can't understand the anger over not being able to play for a few days.  Sorry.  Right or wrong on their part. it is their company.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by stealthbr

I understand your disappointment and anger. However, don't take this too heavily. It's just a couple of days if you think about it. Spend some time with your family, enjoy the holidays, go out, get your mind off these things, and take it easy. The more aggravated about this whole situation you feel, the more you will suffer because of it. Do some good to yourself and forget about it.

I was going to post something like that, good advice. I will even apply it to some aspects in my life. :D

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

I grew up in the rural United States where we got use to knowing that because of where we lived there where things we were not going to have when people said we would even if they promised we knew that they could not. It did not necessarily make it a lie but something we knew to be untrue so we never counted on anything when it was promised. When I lived in Germany I knew that I was not going to get games from the US when they were coming out. You are out in Oceania a place that when I use that name most Americans have little clue where I am talking about and your surprised and annoyed that it is not going to be there in time?

I saw the CE thought it would be cool but doubted they would get it to me in time for prelaunch even though I am no longer in rural area but now in the eastern corridor. It is an area where if I drop a letter into the mail today it will get to where I want also in the eastern corridor the next day more than not. I went with a digital DL because there was nothing to be had in the box worth more to me then my playtime and I would have no one by myself to blame if I was not playing as soon as possible.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Breathe in.........Breathe out.....

So he hasn't got back to you when he said he would, bad man, slapped wrist.

I've had thousands of problems in my life, most of which never actually happened. - Mark Twain.

A week or two is not the end of the world, I waited months to try Mabinogi - it wasn't my cup of tea, so all the angst & frustration (which I didn't actually have) was wasted anyway.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Sephros

Exactly.  If people are so offended, then cancel.  Don't act mad, give them your money and say "It's ok guys, I just wanted to vent".  No point.

QFT. Refusing to buy a product is the only real bargaining chip you have as a consumer. It'd be nice if every company did the best they can to please their costumers, but real life just doesn't work that way. For many companies we're just a net game. They sleep perfectly fine pissing off a few customers, as long as the checks keep clearing.

• khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124

I am a bit disappointed at what they are doing as well. But if you need a bright point to this you can use those extra days to spend with your family cause I bet a TON of players will be spending X-Mas logging on instead of being with family. Sad but true.

Second good thing you can look at is, those 3 or 4 days you won't be able to log in, you can let BW iron out any server problems that might come up!

Last good thing is when you do get to log in, at least the starter zones will not be jam packed to badly.

Me, I got a box from Gamestop a while back so I won't be in the same boat as others will but I do feel for the players that are not gonna be able to play.

Though don't be surprised if they make it where you can request your CD key via email or something. That would be a huge help to a lot of peeps.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Im in australia and ordering the CE from Amazon. My only options was the CE or SE from amazon. I chose the CE because i wanted this game to succed. Im not sorry i bought it, im sorry i recomended to my friends, and got involved enough to organise guilds.

No, you bought it because you wanted the extra stuff.  If you wanted another version of the game, you could have bought that.  If you were really just concerned about the game succeeding, a day or two delay should not be a an issue, especially when they added to the potential early access time.  Seriously, I can see it being a disappointment if you can't play on launch day, but there is a point where it gets ridiculous.  It is a game.  Most people will have their game by launch day (some people have already started receiving theirs).  If you absolutely had to have it at launch, without question, you should have bought the digital version.  

Sorry, I think outrage potentially losing a couple of days is silly.  It's a game.  You don't have to be there at launch.  Plus, Amazon doesn't charge you until it ships. You, and your friends, still have the option to buy the downloadable version instead. 

On the other hand, having no grace period means that people that preordered the game, but didn't buy it, won't be clogging up the server queues on launch day. 

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

The thing is bioware is working with retailers to ry to make sure everyone who pre ordered has there game by the 20th so they wont have to lose any game timie

Please before u freak out see when u get game. im not gonna say some wont get a bit left out and i feel bad for u and that is ea's bad . 

The thing is if players didnt pre order for early access then cancel said pre order a no grace period wouldnt of happened. Bioware doesnt want players who have canceled there pre order in game playing when they shouldnt be playing any longer and once again those of us who wouldnt pull something like that get screwed because of it

lets face it there are people that do this alot. Unfortunatly to protect themselves studios like bioware instute things like a no grace period so those taht do pre order get early access then cancel there pre order ruin it for the rest of us

that said i wish bioware had a grace period if only cause its christmas and orders at christmas get behind schedule every year .

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Hello Bioware, Hello EA

...You’re the only game in town, unless I want to go back to a failed MMO or play with Kung Fu Panda’s , and I don’t. ... 

So no Bioware / EA, I’m not cancelling my order because I still want to play the game but I certainly wont be recommending it to anymore of my friends.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. You completely blast every other mmo, including the one that SWTOR copied, and then continue to say that you'll keep subbing anyway?

Don't expect anybody to be shaking in their boots.

You're still going to play, and they don't have to figure out how to let people without a retail key continue to play.  That's all win for EA/Mythic.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

That's all win for EA/Mythic.

And they need a big win... their stock has fallen by more than 50% over the last 3 years...

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

I am constantly amazed by these types of post; get a frigging life.  I will not be playing until the evening of the 25th as a family member in their wisdom decided that ToR would make a good christmas gift for me.  So I don't get to play for another 15 days; big deal.  The game will be going for years, not a few weeks.  I wish that you had cancelled your pre-order because frankly, the community doesn't need you.  Can't have it now so you throw your teddy in the corner, well boohoo and welcome to the real world, you know, the one that doesn't revolve around you.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by eric1000

I am constantly amazed by these types of post; get a frigging life.  I will not be playing until the evening of the 25th as a family member in their wisdom decided that ToR would make a good christmas gift for me.  So I don't get to play for another 15 days; big deal.  The game will be going for years, not a few weeks.  I wish that you had cancelled your pre-order because frankly, the community doesn't need you.  Can't have it now so you throw your teddy in the corner, well boohoo and welcome to the real world, you know, the one that doesn't revolve around you.

Says the 50 year old dude that doesnt have the sack to say "Im playin the game on release dammit, buy me somethin else..."

And yes I am happily married, and my wife would know better ; )

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Originally posted by Zarynterk

Originally posted by eric1000

Says the 50 year old dude that doesnt have the sack to say "Im playin the game on release dammit, buy me somethin else..."

And yes I am happily married, and my wife would know better ; )

Buddy, I don't care about playing the game as soon as the servers open because I actually do have a life and it doesn't revolve around a few pixels.  Take your wife out for a meal or something and enjoy some quality time with non-virtual people; the game will still be there when you're done.  Plus you will not have to fight through the massive number of players all trying to do the same quest as you.  You are correct about my age though, well done you can read.  I will be spending a quality christmas with my grandchildren and will enjoy the game when i play it; a few days here or there makes absolutely no difference.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

What are the issues here?

Did they say that there would be a grace period then go back on that? Or was it a wait and see?

If so then maybe it is about being able to trust what they say? Or not?:) Dunno.

On a side note, man, some of the fans of this game are some kind of rabid:) Do not recall seeing it this bad before.  Here we have ...a fan, being tore apart by other fans of THE SAME GAME. 

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

Sheesh... Yet another grace period -post. People just can't get past the fact that a company isn't bending at their will. You can write letters, bake cookies etc. It's still not going to happen if they don't want to. image

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by DarLorkar

Did they say that there would be a grace period then go back on that? Or was it a wait and see?

If so then maybe it is about being able to trust what they say? Or not?:) Dunno.

On a side note, man, some of the fans of this game are some kind of rabid:) Do not recall seeing it this bad before.  Here we have ...a fan, being tore apart by other fans of THE SAME GAME. 

yes this is the issue for alot. Im not one of them. They had stated a few months back there woudl be a grace peroid to put in game code for those that pre ordered.

Then when the new faq went up this week that had changed. Players are upset because they didnt think game time woudl be interuppted if they didnt get game on time. Now if they dont get game the 20th they will have there time in tor interuppted.

I wont hae this issue having ordered from origin they are mailing digital codes out the 16th. they are mailing box copies otu the 13th so if u ordered with origin u shoudl have copy in had prior to the 20th

But some who ordered from walmart and amazong might not get there game till the 20th. While bioware is talking to retailers and asking them to mail game out early so players have it by 20th they cant make them do so.

so some player may be screwed. that said the reason there is no grace period is the people who pre order for early access them cancle the game. 

They try to tilt the system and bioware to combat this is given no grace period. so wanna blame someone blame those that pre order for early access teh cancel the game but still get there early access and play until the grace period is over.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by kalinis

Originally posted by DarLorkar

yes this is the issue for alot. Im not one of them. They had stated a few months back there woudl be a grace peroid to put in game code for those that pre ordered.

Then when the new faq went up this week that had changed. Players are upset because they didnt think game time woudl be interuppted if they didnt get game on time. Now if they dont get game the 20th they will have there time in tor interuppted.

I wont hae this issue having ordered from origin they are mailing digital codes out the 16th. they are mailing box copies otu the 13th so if u ordered with origin u shoudl have copy in had prior to the 20th

But some who ordered from walmart and amazong might not get there game till the 20th. While bioware is talking to retailers and asking them to mail game out early so players have it by 20th they cant make them do so.

so some player may be screwed. that said the reason there is no grace period is the people who pre order for early access them cancle the game. 

They try to tilt the system and bioware to combat this is given no grace period. so wanna blame someone blame those that pre order for early access teh cancel the game but still get there early access and play until the grace period is over.

meh serious anyone  who gets all depresive and or angry about one or two days that cant play is serious in need of help.

as for the area's that fall outsite the release regions ,bad luck, but you knew that your area is not a release region, even if there was a grace period you realy think it be longer then one or two day ? thats all it takes for a webshop to deliver someting whitin the states during prime time chrismass sales in a stormy weather.