Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Space Combat Preview

123457»

Comments

• PrigoginePrigogine Member Posts: 18

I kind of liked it, it's a bit old school but it's a nice getaway from the normal MMO play.  I'm sure though that they will come out with a expansion that will be space orientated.  I'd be shocked if they didn't.  Although as someone else pointed out it would be nice to be able to explore space and to travel to other systems/planets.  But one can only hope and keep fingers crossed that it will be addressed in a future expansion!

• PapamacPapamac Member UncommonPosts: 162

Originally posted by precious328

I personally think that their space experience is a big slap in the face. I'd rather nothing at all than this.

Something is always better than nothing. 

• AshlindeAshlinde Member Posts: 120

I personally think that their space experience is a big slap in the face. I'd rather nothing at all than this.

have people really gotten to the point where they are complaining about TOO MUCH content in an MMO? REALLY?!?

how is it bad, in any way, to have more stuff to do in a game..... whether you do it or not. stop being a fucking idiot.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

I AM SOO OFFENDED THEY ADDED THIS CONTENT IN GAME! NO MATTER IF SOME MAY LIKE IT AND NO MATTER THAT DOING IT IS 100% OPTIONAL!!!! IT'S STILL OUTRAGEOUS SLAP IN THE FACE!!!

*Goes back to cutting himself*

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by kishe

I AM SOO OFFENDED THEY ADDED THIS CONTENT IN GAME! NO MATTER IF SOME MAY LIKE IT AND NO MATTER THAT DOING IT IS 100% OPTIONAL!!!! IT'S STILL OUTRAGEOUS SLAP IN THE FACE!!!

I would like to nominate this post for dumbist post of the week.  its there I dont have to do it some people love it however its a slap in your face?  Wtf are you smoking as you said YOU DONT need to do it if you hate it and I personaly really enjoy it infact I am going cybertech as a craft so I can craft the best ship items its that fun.  Daily quests for decent exp starfox type fighting its a hell of a mini game within a giant mmorpg and I think its a great starting point and I expect to see space grow as the game grows in future content, but for a starting spot I think they did a great job with what it is.. an optional mini game

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

You have been getting a lot of big slaps from Bioware lately. This might help ease the pain.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

Even a large developer like Bioware has a limit to how much they can push out at once.  I think people need to just stop the endless screaming and wailing and learn to be a little more realistic.  I know that isn't likely to happen, but a guy can dream.

Maybe down the line for the first expansion they will be able to expand the space thing, but for now I think it is a good place holder and an interesting side game.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• MadragonMadragon Member UncommonPosts: 42

To be honest I prefer the ground game over the space one.  Give Bioware a chance to get one aspect out.  Otherwise we will have to wait another 2 years for them to release since we are waiting for a fully fleshed out space game.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Mr.Wizard

Originally posted by Jarazar

Bioware needs to grab the SWG space team while they can. Even NGE haters will tell you that the space content in SWG is some of the best, if not the best, in the business.

I felt that space in SWG was boring after a while. It was fun at the start, getting quests, gaining xp, buying a new ship and components but unless you actually had some friends/guildies coming along, it was pretty much a singleplayer experience and became a boring grind pretty fast for only a stronger ship to fly. In all the years I've played (joined shortly after that *** NGE hit) I've never seen any pvp in space. BioWare will have to (and hopefully can) do it better to keep it interesting for me but until then I'll go with what they made right now.

The servers I played on (Tarquinas and Starsider) had very active space events. And...I was talking about the overall look and feel of SWG's space content. With that team and Bioware's writers working together, it would be pretty amazing I would think.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Binny45

I think the space combat is merely something to do when you're bored and need a break from the regular game.  I also think it's filler for a possible future "open space" expansion that EA/Bioware can dedicate more time to.  I can understand what they did.  You can't have star wars without spaceships, but at the same time they had to get their ground game down first.  Give it time folks, give it time.

I totally agree with you. I am sure space and crafting will be revisited.

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by the420kid

Originally posted by kishe

I would like to nominate this post for dumbist post of the week.  its there I dont have to do it some people love it however its a slap in your face?  Wtf are you smoking as you said YOU DONT need to do it if you hate it and I personaly really enjoy it infact I am going cybertech as a craft so I can craft the best ship items its that fun.  Daily quests for decent exp starfox type fighting its a hell of a mini game within a giant mmorpg and I think its a great starting point and I expect to see space grow as the game grows in future content, but for a starting spot I think they did a great job with what it is.. an optional mini game

I believe he was being sarcastic...

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Nomis278

Apparently they already have plans to expand the space part of the game, according to James Ohlen anyway-

"I can say that we do have a special project going on right now in regards to the space game that will expand the space game in a significant way, but that's not something that's coming right away. "

From this interview yesterday http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1214438p1.html

I think that may be in reference to having other players on your ship, which they have mentioned doing as well. Unless they have already been working on changing the space part of the game, it's a bit too soon for a space revamp.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• zhivikzhivik Member Posts: 38

I just want to add a few things for some of the younger players out there, who feel disappointed with the current state of space combat in SWTOR. Why I presume these are young players? Well, because there are quite a few very good Star Wars games out there, mostly made a decade and more ago, which were successful without having space combat at all, or having a very limited space experience. Here are a few examples:

Dark Forces - basically a Doom clone, but with a lot of twists (like puzzles) and a lot of atmosphere

Jedi Knight & Jedi Outcast - grerat story, if somewhat linear (particularly in Outcast), but probably the best recreation of light sabre fights so far. Jedi Academy improved a lot on fight mechanics (you can get a double-blade lit sabre and a kick!), but the story was poor

Empire at War - great tactical game, where there is space combat, but only from a tactical point of view, you don't get to actually fight with space ships

Knights of the Old Republic - one of the greatest RPG games aroud, not only among SW titles

All these games had none or very limited space combat, but it didn't stop them from being great. I'm sure more can be added to the list, but these stand out, in my view. The point is, yes, space combat is a very important part of the lore, but it's not necessary for a SW game to be great.

Besides, if there was a space simulator, and I mean a realistic one (like in X-wing vs. Tie-fighter), there would be certainly as many people complaining how hard it was to play it, to the point they'd wanted it a lot more simplified. Nothing personal, just saying...

• As to the debate about this game being a Crapy mmorpg /space combat game you have missed the point. The game is story driven and to side track from that is BS. I have a problem with people that think that if the game isn't what you personaly have in mind it is flawed or broken, Thats because you want instant self gratification and there is no games that I know of that allows that  except some platformers. All of you that are whining because of this and should not buy it or play it. The reason that I say this is because you will never be happy with any game produced. IMHO most of the noise is from misinformed babys that will cry and screem just to be doing so. I hope you  all grow up big and stronge because life is full of disapointments. Just a thought from and old fart that is tired of hearing it's all about what I want and nobody esle counts.  I have said my piece so get over it! 

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

I know i'm a little late trew the gate on this one but i have played both swtor and swg as well as sto. I have also watched all the startrek shows movies ect, as well as all of the starwars movies.

So I can honestly say that.

1. Star Trek wans't about space at all it was about captain kirk trying to get with alien wemon. Star Trek the next gen was about how Pickard jad more drama on his ship then a soup opera. Star trek voyager was about omg im lost maybe we should have did what that crazy alien wanted in the first place?

2. In the first 3 star wars movies im guessing r2d2 wasnt the one telling the story from begining to end even thou he was the first major charicter it showed? He didnt goto tantoine using a space ship he just magically appeard and was like was up?  They never used a space ship to rescue the princess. The Death star was never bombed by luke. Ohh and they never made a 2 hour parody of the first star wars movie that was over 70% in space called SPACE BALLS. 

I know im old people, but if you were born after 1990 you probally shouldn't tell true star wars fans what there movies were about. Since you wern't around to watch them. I really do miss the space era. With all these big let downs from the mmo companies its only a matter of time before they goto the other classics and try to make them online. 

Farmville=Little house on the prarie online. Sgh.....

• BreakNFacesBreakNFaces Member UncommonPosts: 77

Take a leave out of Allods Online and have guild capital ships that can rain down support fire in PVP.

I'm just saying

• gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Right , talk about the worst part of the game, space combat cira 1990 console games.  Trying to sugar coat their design is a complete waste of time.  It is what it is.  Even SWG space combat was light years beyond what they are offering in this game.

Rail shooters go back to the early 80's.  It's even more archaic!

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

"Space combat itself is a fairly simple affair. If you’ve played games like StarFox, or more recently, the family-friendly MMO Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures, you’ll be right at home."

No. Just plain no.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky