Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Space Combat Preview

Comments

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

About 15% of Star Wars happen in space...rest is all on different planets.

Star Trek is about Space ships Star Wars is about lightsabers!

Jedis/sith has always been main attraction of Star Wars.

and for the record, Ive been regular on these forums since 2004 and to date I haven't seen Ozmodan admit to ever have liked one single MMO.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Originally posted by kishe

and for the record, Ive been regular on these forums since 2004 and to date I haven't seen Ozmodan admit to ever have liked one single MMO.

What you said is defiently truth, but it wasnt until the newer Star Wars series came out that thats ALL the Focus was on was JEdis. Before it was on everyone, the bounty hunters, the smugglers, the whole universe was involved, its not the fans fault that lucas wantedto put JEDI under a micro-scope with the newer series and thus has spawned all this shit.

All TOR is to me is the culmination of years of pissed off OLDER star Wars fans competeting with the newer generation, whose majoirty is obviously less imaginitive because of the shit LUCAS spoon-fed them, if anything peoeple should hate LUCAS because all hes done is contniue to do what hes always been good at, being a business man.

LUCAS did create something he loved with the first Star Wars, but now its become a joke, and it sucks for alot of people, because theres so many that can see beyond this marketing and all this other bullshit and see the truth, but sadlly their voices are droned out by the idiots who will always go "BUT I WANNA PLAY WIT MY LIGHSABER!"

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by onthestick

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Some of you posters just don't get it, it is Star Wars, it is all about space and to put a 1990's rendition of a space shooter in the game to represent that facet of the game is a trajedy by itself.

So what we end up with is Wow in a star wars setting.  If that is enough for you fine, but many of us were hoping for more considering it is about 10 years post SWG and the tools for making MMO's are lightyears beyond what the original SWG team had available to them.  Attempting to relate the initial SWG offering to today is absurd, that design team was very limited in what tools it had to work with.

Making excuses for Bioware, especially considering how much money they invested in this title, is ridiculous.  You can't just throw money at a project and expect it to be great, you have to also have a very knowledgable design team with a good plan, neither of which were evident in the design of this game.  Someone on the design team finally realized that the actual theme of the game was space and they had to throw something together quickly.  They would have been far better off just saying it would come later in an expansion.

This game should never get more than an 8 because they blew off the main theme of the game.

This is 100% false.  You obviously aren't very familiar with the Star Wars IP.  It's a Sci-Fi setting, not a space setting.  And yes, there is a difference.  

I would love if there was more to the space combat.  But this is an entirely different game than STO, and it's an entirely different setting.  Unless they wanted to stay in developement for another year or two, you concentrate on the main emphasis, which in Star Wars, is LAND-BASED GAMEPLAY.  Then you can buff up the space part of the game in later updates or expansions.  

Hell, SWG didn't even release with space combat.  I suppose SoE was wrong too, huh?  Tell that to all the pre-nge folks.

Really?  Have you ever watched a Star Wars Movie?  The first three movies were all about space and combat it it.  I wish Lucas never made the last three as they were a definite step down.  So don't attempt to lecture us about the Star Wars IP, it is a definite space setting a good percentage of the time.

Nuh huh... nope.

Star Wars A New Hope: Starts with the in space capture of Princes Leia's friggate. Ends with the epic space battle to destroy the Deathstar.

The Empire Strikes Back: The Escape from Hoth which while not an epic, at least not on screen, space battle, does bring us quite a bit of space action in the crew of the Millenium Falcon, trying to escape the Empire's battle fleet.

Return of the Jedi: Culminates with the Battle of Endor. A massive ground offensive plus an epic space battle to destroy Deathstar II.

The Phantom Menace: Starts with Naboo being blockaded by the Trade Federation IN SPACE, ends with a rather campy space battle where young Anakin helps destroy aforementioned Trade Federation Blockade.

Attack of the Clones. Relatively space action free, with one small scene involving Obi Wans trip to Genosha.

Revenge of the Sith: Starts with the epic space battle against the Separatists fleet.

So while I disagree with Oz that the core of the Star Wars story revolves around space (because the story actually revolves around the characters, a large part of the series's charm), there is still a hell of a lot of it shown in the core films. So making a Star Wars based game not involving space is going to raise a big ol red question mark to many fans.

None of which actually matters as the discussion at hand is about the individual poster's opinions about the quality of the mini space game Bioware DID add. Personally I feel it is rubbish. NOT because it isn't a full fledged space game, but because it is a crap mini game little better than similar tunnel shooter arcade games almost twenty years old.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Tbh, I found it quite boring. Maybe some ppl like this, thats ok, but for me it was just lame.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

15% of Star Wars was in space. Okay...

Do you mean to tell us that space isn't important? If this is the case, then why do we have COUNTLESS Star Wars SPACE ONLY games, COUNTLESS Star Wars Rogue Squadron novels, COUNTLESS Star Wars Space Ships & Toys, COUNTLESS Star Wars Space Legos etc.

SPACE in Star Wars is a GIGANTIC PART OF THE LORE. It deserves more than this excuse of an arcade game. It's insulting.

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

Eh, space combat in game is exactly as it is in the movies for the 'hero characters'. This includes battling while on ships/ stations that are also engaged in battle.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Played one space encounter. Bored to tears. Never sought out another.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Seriously though, if you've played SWTORs single player prequels, you'd know Bioware gave SWTOR space battles a GENEROUS treatment.

Kotor 1 had one portion where you got to man a turret on a space ship but thats it.

all in all the complaints here reeks of same ol "Baww its not SWG2" arghlebarghle.

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by precious328

15% of Star Wars was in space. Okay...

Do you mean to tell us that space isn't important? If this is the case, then why do we have COUNTLESS Star Wars SPACE ONLY games, COUNTLESS Star Wars Rogue Squadron novels, COUNTLESS Star Wars Space Ships & Toys, COUNTLESS Star Wars Space Legos etc.

SPACE in Star Wars is a GIGANTIC PART OF THE LORE. It deserves more than this excuse of an arcade game. It's insulting.

I don't agree with much of what you post about SW:TOR but i do agree about the space combat. Space combat is a needed part of Star Wars but its not worth having in the game if it is not done well for launch.

I have said from the start if it's not like xwing or tie fighter don't bother putting in game. I also know this would not be possible at launch as it's like making two games. I was hoping they would do something like tie fighter post launch.  With what they added they may not do anything now. It's the most disappointing thing for TOR.

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Space combat is a nice getaway from questing and is a good fun minigame for when you want to do something else.....however it could be so much more. 

In the long run, id like to see 3d flyable space, allowing you to travel between planets, discover new moons, get into pve and pvp battles but that will take a long time if it ever happens

In the short term, they should introduce visual upgrades on ships - having the coolest looking ship is the same as having the coolest looking gear - everyone wants it. It will allow a better sense of progression when doing space combat too. Another easy win would be random space battles (maybe shorter than the standard ones?) when you hyperspace travel to different planets - so you would always have the risk of being attacked, dropping out of hyperspace and having to fend off attacker. Similar to in Freelancer. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I really liked the space combat missions. Reminded me of Star Fox. But I'm not playing this game to play a flight sim, its just a fun diversion.

As other posters have said, they can add more fleshed out open-roaming flight missions later, or even space PvP. This was something thrown together during beta by an outsourced developer, that is a lot of fun and adds character and value to the game.

You havent lost anything that was promised, you gained a fun minigame....

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

it wouldn't suprise me if the first expansion they changed how space combat works.  Right now it's more of a mini-game than a feature.  Don't get me wrong, I still have it, but it could be a whole lot better...and yeah it's alot like starfox, which isn't a bad thing, but I wanted something more.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by Tardcore

Some of you posters just don't get it, it is Star Wars, it is all about space and to put a 1990's rendition of a space shooter in the game to represent that facet of the game is a trajedy by itself.

So what we end up with is Wow in a star wars setting.  If that is enough for you fine, but many of us were hoping for more considering it is about 10 years post SWG and the tools for making MMO's are lightyears beyond what the original SWG team had available to them.  Attempting to relate the initial SWG offering to today is absurd, that design team was very limited in what tools it had to work with.

Making excuses for Bioware, especially considering how much money they invested in this title, is ridiculous.  You can't just throw money at a project and expect it to be great, you have to also have a very knowledgable design team with a good plan, neither of which were evident in the design of this game.  Someone on the design team finally realized that the actual theme of the game was space and they had to throw something together quickly.  They would have been far better off just saying it would come later in an expansion.

This game should never get more than an 8 because they blew off the main theme of the game.

This is 100% false.  You obviously aren't very familiar with the Star Wars IP.  It's a Sci-Fi setting, not a space setting.  And yes, there is a difference.  

I would love if there was more to the space combat.  But this is an entirely different game than STO, and it's an entirely different setting.  Unless they wanted to stay in developement for another year or two, you concentrate on the main emphasis, which in Star Wars, is LAND-BASED GAMEPLAY.  Then you can buff up the space part of the game in later updates or expansions.  

Hell, SWG didn't even release with space combat.  I suppose SoE was wrong too, huh?  Tell that to all the pre-nge folks.

Really?  Have you ever watched a Star Wars Movie?  The first three movies were all about space and combat it it.  I wish Lucas never made the last three as they were a definite step down.  So don't attempt to lecture us about the Star Wars IP, it is a definite space setting a good percentage of the time.

Nuh huh... nope.

Star Wars A New Hope: Starts with the in space capture of Princes Leia's friggate. Ends with the epic space battle to destroy the Deathstar.

The Empire Strikes Back: The Escape from Hoth which while not an epic, at least not on screen, space battle, does bring us quite a bit of space action in the crew of the Millenium Falcon, trying to escape the Empire's battle fleet.

Return of the Jedi: Culminates with the Battle of Endor. A massive ground offensive plus an epic space battle to destroy Deathstar II.

The Phantom Menace: Starts with Naboo being blockaded by the Trade Federation IN SPACE, ends with a rather campy space battle where young Anakin helps destroy aforementioned Trade Federation Blockade.

Attack of the Clones. Relatively space action free, with one small scene involving Obi Wans trip to Genosha.

Revenge of the Sith: Starts with the epic space battle against the Separatists fleet.

So while I disagree with Oz that the core of the Star Wars story revolves around space (because the story actually revolves around the characters, a large part of the series's charm), there is still a hell of a lot of it shown in the core films. So making a Star Wars based game not involving space is going to raise a big ol red question mark to many fans.

None of which actually matters as the discussion at hand is about the individual poster's opinions about the quality of the mini space game Bioware DID add. Personally I feel it is rubbish. NOT because it isn't a full fledged space game, but because it is a crap mini game little better than similar tunnel shooter arcade games almost twenty years old.

Wow, great job totally ignoring everything that happened in between.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Tell me something... what MMO has actually delivered anything new in the last ten years? In fact, they have slowly been removing what most considered to be features. 

At least this game TRIES to do something different. You just don't like what its offering. Stop acting like your opinion is the be all end all of gaming.

• TerminatusTerminatus Member Posts: 104

Heh, Star Wars had a big impact when it hit the cinemas... that kind of realism in space battles were unprecedented, heck, these guys changed the concept of Space Battles with their inovations.

A buttload of years after that, they are ok with grafting a 15 year old game in their prized product? ...and why Starfox??? Why not that old classic of our younger days, Asteroids and even Space Invaders, with a new skin??? :p

They should have said was "The Space part of the Star Wars universe is so Epic that we can't possibly do at this time without the full focus of the development team, and instead of releasing some Insulting bit of code (read STO), we decided to pospone for a future expansion". That official confirmation would have settled a bit more the disgruntled crowds... for a time...

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

Space combat inb TOR is awesome!  I think it's great they added an arcade-style action shooter within an mmo.  The graphics and sounds are great, and the style of combat fits Star Wars perfectly.  I just hope more developers add fun side games like this into mmos to break up the inevitable mmo duldrums we all fall into.  

The only thing I hope Bioware does with space combat is add more varied missions.

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

Wow... people have no appreciation, simply expectation - and it's getting ridiculous.

Full-fledged space combat was never promised as a launch feature in this game.  It still may very well happen in a future expansion.  This is a nice extra that BW threw in.  Last I checked, you don't HAVE to even PLAY the space combat.  Take it for what it is.

"OMG -- they didn't make two entire game worlds in one... what a bunch of losers!"

Yeah right.  I for one APPRECIATE the extra work in all the little distractions and extra features BW gave us.  One day they may expand the concept.  They may not.  Who cares.

And for the love of god... I played SWG for years.  It was a steaming pile of crap at launch.  Everybody needs to take of the rose colored nostalgia glasses.  The playerbase was in constant decline, the fansites were full of flaming.   If the game was that great, there never would have even been a CU, or an NGE for that matter.  Their concept failed and they tried desperately to fix it with the CU and with the NGE, ultimately destroying what little they had left.  JTL was a full-blown expansion. It was NOT a launch feature. 

BW has laid the groundwork for incredible growth, and given us a lot for our money. Space combat is just another FEATURE (meaning you don't have to play it).  Since when do people hate extra options so much?

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

There is something we are all forgetting here.  It's not how much time was spent in space in the movies, it's how pivotal to the storylines the space battles were.  In SWTOR, a player could decide to never touch the space mini game, and guess what, it wouldn't affect the overall story.  THIS is a problem for this IP that has both ground and space aspects that always were a major part of the plotlines.

• goingwyldegoingwylde Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by Jarazar

Bioware needs to grab the SWG space team while they can. Even NGE haters will tell you that the space content in SWG is some of the best, if not the best, in the business.

That shouldnt be hard.  I'm pretty sure they're available. :)

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

I dont mind the mini game space thingy. It was fun for what it was. I hope they expand on space not to a be anything go anywhere space but maybe a big more freedom within there situations

Add some pvp and do some story based space missions. Allow players more then one path to take to the objetive. 

Im not looking for even like mechanics in this game . i dont wanna be able to go anywhere and set up mining colonies thats not really star wars to me

That said a bit more freedom within the situations and more story based space content woudl be amazing especially if they added a pilot class . 

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Moirae

Originally posted by Tardcore

Nuh huh... nope.

Wow, great job totally ignoring everything that happened in between.

"So while I disagree with Oz that the core of the Star Wars story revolves around space (because the story actually revolves around the characters, a large part of the series's charm), there is still a hell of a lot of it shown in the core films. So making a Star Wars based game not involving space is going to raise a big ol red question mark to many fans."

Did you miss that part of my post? Its obvious that you did. I simply highlighted the moments in the films in which S P A C E played an important part in the story lines to explain that while S P A C E was N O T the core of the Star Wars films as  the C H A R A C T E R S and the interaction between them W A S, S P A C E was still an important backdrop to the story that played out. So it is not surprising or irrational for fans to place such importantce on the S P A C E element of Star Wars that they would hope to see it in an MMO set in a Star Wars universe. Savvy?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185

I don't know some of my best Star Wars game memories is Rebel assault which seems rather similar to what we have here so I'm quite happy.  Honestly I can't help but think a sandbox in space feature would be way out of place in this game especially since you really can't put too much content in the void of space..  Some would love it most would think it not so great and an annoying way to get from planet to planet.  Now what they could have done is do an x-wing vs tie fighter sort of sim for scenarios but again what they gave us doesn't seem all that bad.

Originally posted by Nhoj1983

I don't know some of my best Star Wars game memories is Rebel assault which seems rather similar to what we have here so I'm quite happy.  Honestly I can't help but think a sandbox in space feature would be way out of place in this game especially since you really can't put too much content in the void of space..  Some would love it most would think it not so great and an annoying way to get from planet to planet.  Now what they could have done is do an x-wing vs tie fighter sort of sim for scenarios but again what they gave us doesn't seem all that bad.

i actually agree. That said id love to have story based space missions and pvp space scenarios. I d love to have situations like in the movies where u have more then one track u can take to actually complete the mission. 

Id love tos ee a space based flashpoint where u and yoru team have to take down an ememy flotilla or something like that it woudl be so cool

That said space combat in the movies made up 10 pct of them if that. In episode 4 for instance u had the part where they got brought into the death star , then u had them taken the death star out but the tst of that was based on space stations or on rebel bases ,  or on ship travelling

episode 5 u had han hiding out in a asteroid feild and traveling to planets like dagaobah

episode 6 u had them taken out the second death star. That said most of that was based even on luke on the death star and han and his team taken out a sheild generator on yavin. 

so space wasnt as huge a part of star wars in the origional trilogy as many think or even the prequels. 

• IGN: I was also curious about space combat and how that might evolve. How are the later game missions different from the early game ones and will they ever become sort of a multiplayer experience?

James Ohlen
    : We're going to continue to add missions. That's another thing that actually surprised us. While we knew that because we weren't doing a freeform X-wing versus Tie Fighter-style space game that we were going to get backlash, that didn't surprise us and obviously we got that feedback a long time ago. We've been working really hard to continue to improve the space game that we have and it's definitely become more popular with our fans with each [beta] iteration. The very last test we had it scored higher than it's ever scored before. I don't think it's going to win over people who want X-wing versus Tie Fighter but I do think people are going to find that it's very evocative of Star Wars and it's a fun activity when you want to take a break from questing. You can go to your own starship and involve yourself in some very awesome Rogue Squadron-y space combat. I can say that we do have a special project going on right now in regards to the space game that will expand the space game in a significant way, but that's not something that's coming right away.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1214438p1.html

Originally posted by gaou

IGN: I was also curious about space combat and how that might evolve. How are the later game missions different from the early game ones and will they ever become sort of a multiplayer experience?

James Ohlen
    : We're going to continue to add missions. That's another thing that actually surprised us. While we knew that because we weren't doing a freeform X-wing versus Tie Fighter-style space game that we were going to get backlash, that didn't surprise us and obviously we got that feedback a long time ago. We've been working really hard to continue to improve the space game that we have and it's definitely become more popular with our fans with each [beta] iteration. The very last test we had it scored higher than it's ever scored before. I don't think it's going to win over people who want X-wing versus Tie Fighter but I do think people are going to find that it's very evocative of Star Wars and it's a fun activity when you want to take a break from questing. You can go to your own starship and involve yourself in some very awesome Rogue Squadron-y space combat. I can say that we do have a special project going on right now in regards to the space game that will expand the space game in a significant way, but that's not something that's coming right away.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1214438p1.html

id actually read this. Like i said i dont want a free form space game but story based missions would be awesoem as well as story based pvp battles with a bit mroe freedom then current space game

I actually like the space game right now its fun but i wouldnt mind the other things as well.