Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Space Combat Preview

Comments

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

The complete inability to personalize your ship (let alone pick the ship you wanted) was what disappointed me. I've never really been that into arcade/flight-sim stuff, but it's pretty sad when the disaster that is Star Trek Online vastly outshines your game in terms of ship customization. I hope that's something they not only can add, but will add (they've apparently stated that "they'd like to" at some point post-launch). Right now, it just feels like "Here's your mobile box 1.07; enjoy!"

I guess it's a better form of housing than some MMOs have, but only due to the fact that some MMOs don't have housing at all. "At least it's something" isn't really much of a tag line for commercials. The game has its strong points, but ships and space aren't among them right now.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

For what it is, its actually quite fun, other than the need to constantly be clicking. Hopefully they will expand on space combat sometime in the future.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Meh, it's not great, but it's not horrible, and it does give a shitload of XP, so it can provide a little break from the quest grind that is worth your while.  Still, I hope they do spruce it up a bit in post-launch updates.  

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Jenuviel

I've never really been that into arcade/flight-sim stuff, but it's pretty sad when the disaster that is Star Trek Online vastly outshines your game in terms of ship customization.

Given the low budget and Dev time for the entire STO game, it would seem that it would not have too difficult to take the rails off the TOR space game, and still come in on time and low cost.

Even simply having a Jump2LightSpeed 2.0 would have been better, imo.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by Gormok

Look STO it has a fully fledged space experience and yet it is lacking in the ground combat department. ST revolves mostly around space and space exploration yet people complain about the lack of a ground game. When devs do these types of games it's hard to build them on two fronts, because time and resources are limited. MMO players in today's games demand to much, they want everything all at one time.

STO has a very small budget and was designed in less than 2 years.   Given the resources available to BW for TOR, they could have basically replicated the 'free flight zone system' that STO basically uses, and improved the space experience 10x, imo.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Loekii

Originally posted by Jenuviel

I've never really been that into arcade/flight-sim stuff, but it's pretty sad when the disaster that is Star Trek Online vastly outshines your game in terms of ship customization.

Given the low budget and Dev time for the entire STO game, it would seem that it would not have too difficult to take the rails off the TOR space game, and still come in on time and low cost.

Even simply having a Jump2LightSpeed 2.0 would have been better, imo.

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think about Star Trek? and what is the first thing comes to mind when you think about Star Wars? not even gonna answer that.

It is not about money it is about priority and if you have been following this game, time and time again Bioware has mentioned that there priority is to to expand on ground content first and space content later on.

Ofcourse Cryptic has better space game because.... duh... it is Star Trek. Do you know how many months later and after how many tweaks they got ground combat right in Star trek online? Space combat is as much priority for Bioware as ground combat was for Cryptic.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

Agreed, it's pretty worthless to compare STO space combat to TOR space combat.  Aside from the fact that the Star Trek series is predominantly set in open space, whereas Star Wars takes place predominantly on planets (land), it's a silly comparison to make because Bioware had to give their actual ground gameplay priority over the space gameplay.  Anyone claiming they had the money and resources to push both out in fully fleshed out states is completely delusional.  No Sci-Fi MMO has ever been able to do this, and it's not a matter of money.  It's a matter of TIME.  You have to priortize one thing over the other, unless you plan on the game being in development for 7-8 years.   Bioware will have time once the game is launched to further enhance their space combat if that is what the players want.  Hell, even SWG, who had a pretty substantial budget and released the game with shit for actual content, didn't have a space aspect at launch.  

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

Originally posted by meccariello

i t hink they should scrap space and redo it as a total sandbox thing. allow people to customize their ship inside with furniture and stuff... allow guests, etc. you know... basically, housing 

plus a feature to have your ship come pick you up in the wild any time, rather than have to run back to a hangar far away. 

Yeah, but now you are talking about creating a whole second game/game system. They would have to spend nearly as much time and money as in the ground part of the mmo. Would people want to wait 2 more years for game to release? Financially it wouldn't make much sense. Either add the extra employees (increase costs) to get it released at set date, or releas years later as dev crew would have to work on both (increased costs). And what would they gain? Doubtful it would double subs, while nearly double the cost. It might've paid off in the long run helping retain subs as there would be twice as much to do in game, so they had to make a business decision. Hopefully they take the time to do the space in the way you suggest, as it would be pretty kick-ass.

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by unclemo

This is not an MMO for adults.

agree 100 percent. Its dumbed down for kids game, just like wow. And the game is already doomed IMHO, because that 6mil grew up after the past years and want something more now.. 

Originally posted by Timacek

agree 100 percent. Its dumbed down for kids game, just like wow. And the game is already doomed IMHO, because that 6mil grew up after the past years and want something more now.. 

I doubt you even know 100 forget 6 million players to know exactly what they are looking for in MMO genre. 

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

Who really cares, its an optional part of the game.  'Fluff' if you will.  It may get better it may not.  SWG didnt launch with space comba,t it got added later.. same thing may happen int he future for TOR..  default combat may stay as a rail game, an x-pac may include everything the dreamers are asking for... but again.. who cares.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Glad to see so much excitement, timacek.  Really makes everyone else feel good  that is spending all there time and efford into making SWTOR an enjoyable place.

I played space combat in beta of course, also coming from a bit of eve, JTL and starfox and xwing not being a huge fan of space combat I hope Bioware can make a space combat that makes even the most space hating person like playing.  That would be a acheivement but even so one of the replys on this thread stated that since this game is star wars they should put more emphesis on space.  That scared me, I can only imagine having a great space game and crappy ground game, that would sux 10X more so im thanksfull at where it stands in that perspective.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Some of you posters just don't get it, it is Star Wars, it is all about space and to put a 1990's rendition of a space shooter in the game to represent that facet of the game is a trajedy by itself.

So what we end up with is Wow in a star wars setting.  If that is enough for you fine, but many of us were hoping for more considering it is about 10 years post SWG and the tools for making MMO's are lightyears beyond what the original SWG team had available to them.  Attempting to relate the initial SWG offering to today is absurd, that design team was very limited in what tools it had to work with.

Making excuses for Bioware, especially considering how much money they invested in this title, is ridiculous.  You can't just throw money at a project and expect it to be great, you have to also have a very knowledgable design team with a good plan, neither of which were evident in the design of this game.  Someone on the design team finally realized that the actual theme of the game was space and they had to throw something together quickly.  They would have been far better off just saying it would come later in an expansion.

This game should never get more than an 8 because they blew off the main theme of the game.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Yet again, another personal opinion stated as fact.

You don't like it then don't play it. It really is as simple as that.

• xersentxersent Member Posts: 613

Maybe at some point there add a proper space aspect to the game , they've got plenty of time and so much room to grow

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

"space combat"... not going to touch it with a 10-foot pole.

If i want cheap arcade games (and this one is pretty bad, even for arcade standards) i can always play 1 of the 2$ arcade games ii have in my steam account.

But honeslty... who cares, this game has the best questing experience ever made, and that's why we want to play it.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Moirae

Yet again, another personal opinion stated as fact.

You don't like it then don't play it. It really is as simple as that.

By the same logic, if you dont like someone's opinion you dont have to read it. That doesn't mean they aren't entitled to it.

Your opinion is bias towards how you think it should be though.  This isnt an indie developer catering to a niche crowd.  Bioware just cant get all off course cause some people think something should be different.  There are thousands upon thousands of content areas in this game, deadlines push a developer like this along with goals in certain aspects of the game. 

Your claim to all of a sudden after years in the making to all of a sudden start to persecute Bioware and SWTOR on not having things the way you think is ridiculous.  Where are your posts shouting out years ago about this?  Do you got links?  The game is days away from release and you act as if everything is tossy turny.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Some of you posters just don't get it, it is Star Wars, it is all about space and to put a 1990's rendition of a space shooter in the game to represent that facet of the game is a trajedy by itself.

So what we end up with is Wow in a star wars setting.  If that is enough for you fine, but many of us were hoping for more considering it is about 10 years post SWG and the tools for making MMO's are lightyears beyond what the original SWG team had available to them.  Attempting to relate the initial SWG offering to today is absurd, that design team was very limited in what tools it had to work with.

Making excuses for Bioware, especially considering how much money they invested in this title, is ridiculous.  You can't just throw money at a project and expect it to be great, you have to also have a very knowledgable design team with a good plan, neither of which were evident in the design of this game.  Someone on the design team finally realized that the actual theme of the game was space and they had to throw something together quickly.  They would have been far better off just saying it would come later in an expansion.

This game should never get more than an 8 because they blew off the main theme of the game.

This is 100% false.  You obviously aren't very familiar with the Star Wars IP.  It's a Sci-Fi setting, not a space setting.  And yes, there is a difference.  

I would love if there was more to the space combat.  But this is an entirely different game than STO, and it's an entirely different setting.  Unless they wanted to stay in developement for another year or two, you concentrate on the main emphasis, which in Star Wars, is LAND-BASED GAMEPLAY.  Then you can buff up the space part of the game in later updates or expansions.  

Hell, SWG didn't even release with space combat.  I suppose SoE was wrong too, huh?  Tell that to all the pre-nge folks.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

This is 100% false.  You obviously aren't very familiar with the Star Wars IP.  It's a Sci-Fi setting, not a space setting.  And yes, there is a difference.  

I would love if there was more to the space combat.  But this is an entirely different game than STO, and it's an entirely different setting.  Unless they wanted to stay in developement for another year or two, you concentrate on the main emphasis, which in Star Wars, is LAND-BASED GAMEPLAY.  Then you can buff up the space part of the game in later updates or expansions.  

Hell, SWG didn't even release with space combat.  I suppose SoE was wrong too, huh?  Tell that to all the pre-nge folks.

Really?  Have you ever watched a Star Wars Movie?  The first three movies were all about space and combat it it.  I wish Lucas never made the last three as they were a definite step down.  So don't attempt to lecture us about the Star Wars IP, it is a definite space setting a good percentage of the time.

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Really?  Have you ever watched a Star Wars Movie?  The first three movies were all about space and combat it it.  I wish Lucas never made the last three as they were a definite step down.  So don't attempt to lecture us about the Star Wars IP, it is a definite space setting a good percentage of the time.

Nuh huh... nope.

Think of it this way, hypothetically Bioware is going to revolutionize the way we play space combat.  There going to invent some new next gen space combat that is going to make everything before it look like pong. Have faith in bioware, there not going to disapoint, the force is on there side. 

It will reinvigorate the game and another 5 million people will flock to the game and everything will be aces again.

• OcirusskdOcirusskd Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by eycel

Think of it this way, hypothetically Bioware is going to revolutionize the way we play space combat.  There going to invent some new next gen space combat that is going to make everything before it look like pong. Have faith in bioware, there not going to disapoint, the force is on there side.

Umm I dont have blind faith in anything lol especially a for profit gaming company.

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259
    I personally love SWTOR's space combat. SWG had wide open spaces, yes; but they were largely empty and the actual combat consisted the same tired dogfights every flight game has. SWTOR's has alot more action just like the space scenes from the movies.

I have to ask, honestly have you people played KOTOR? That game had NO space combat. We're lucky they decided to include some form into this installment. I'm sorry alot of you are still dwelling on SWG, but this game is not SWG, nor does it claim to be. Take it for what it is, or find another game.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243

Originally posted by Jarazar

Bioware needs to grab the SWG space team while they can. Even NGE haters will tell you that the space content in SWG is some of the best, if not the best, in the business.

I felt that space in SWG was boring after a while. It was fun at the start, getting quests, gaining xp, buying a new ship and components but unless you actually had some friends/guildies coming along, it was pretty much a singleplayer experience and became a boring grind pretty fast for only a stronger ship to fly. In all the years I've played (joined shortly after that *** NGE hit) I've never seen any pvp in space. BioWare will have to (and hopefully can) do it better to keep it interesting for me but until then I'll go with what they made right now.