Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The grace period debacle and a question.

Comments

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

While it may be a large disappointment for those who made plans based on having a grace period, I think the whole issue brings to light the problems with having to work in a grace period.

In the future, for MMO subscription games, just have a server live date and then allow the product to be sold without date restrictions prior to server live.  This would remove the issues surrounding freeloaders and 99% of the arrival date problems.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by adam_nox

Bioware didn't associate themselves... they were bought lol.  That's how business works.

You sound like you believe BW had no choice in the matter...lol. It was their choice and a very profitable move for them. "Associate" is totally correct especially in the context of a deal where the bought company continued to function as an independent entity for all practical purposes.

As to your denial about the inconvenience, your spin on how this is actually a good thing and your illogical theory of sever flushing, now those were very lol-worthy statements.

PS... I'm not sweating it since I always buy digital versions whenever possible, but this reversal stinks to high heaven.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

Ok, so I have checked my amazon for the last few days and for CE edition I cannot chose the release day option. I know this doesn't really matter however I was able to do this with MW3 and BF3, as well as few novels I have bought in the last few months. Does anyone know why I don't have the release day option while others do?

edit - question amazon and its because I ordered before there was an actual release date. Apparently if you order anything before an official release date is given you cannot choose release date as a shipping option. I'm sure it will all work out fine.

imageimage

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

Originally posted by Watface

Originally posted by Teala

I thought this would be fitting reply.

"EA Altered the deal.? Pray they don't alter it any further."

There is over whelming scientific evidence that praying doesn't work.

There is also overwhelming evidence it does work.. Your point?

I digitally ordered so should not be a issue here, hopefully it wont be for others as well. However I still have not gotten my retail code, only the pre-order code? I see some people say they already got the retail code, but some others say it will be e-mailed to us by Origin on the 20th which is true?

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Seriously whats the problem ?

They are letting us already pre-load the game, and people are already getting thier box copies of the game including the CE and its only the 9th.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Originally posted by MaGicBush

I digitally ordered so should not be a issue here, hopefully it wont be for others as well. However I still have not gotten my retail code, only the pre-order code? I see some people say they already got the retail code, but some others say it will be e-mailed to us by Origin on the 20th which is true?

If you have origin installed your code should already be attached to your game in the origin loader I think give me a few Ill go check but think I remembered seeing it there last time I looked.

Yup I am right the product code is attached already where it shows the box when you open origin click the little i symbol in the bottom corner of the game and it shows the product code.

Ooops scratch that its apparently just another copy of the pre-order code but once you pay for it that should be where you find the product code.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by cahenderson

I'm getting mine from Amazon too. Intially, it said the 28th or 29th. I was able to change my delivery option to 'Release Day Delivery'. Now, that's all well and good. We'll see if it actually shows up on the 20th.

Upping it to 7 days of Early Access only whets my appetite more and makes any embargo on playing all the more painful :)

everyone using amazon should read this post and go make sure they change it to release day delivery.

before mine said arrival was the 27th-29th now it says the 20th and the shipping is only $.99 where before it was $4.99

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

So some of you will reach level cap on the 7th of January instead of New Years Eve.  I'm not sure what the real gripe is about.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

just talked to my game shop and they said all preordered games will be in store on the 15th but they cant sell non preordered ones till the 20th so there should be no problem

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

lol

I self identify as a monkey.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Ocirusskd

this should close this thread.   http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=8064577

says there will be a grace period. posted on the 7th, this is also inline with dallas dickensons interview yesterday that said there would be anouncments concerning this in the next few days.

There will be a period after launch day in which those who have pre-ordered will be able to continue playing before entering their Game Code. More information on this will be made available closer to launch.

Please RTFT... it's dated for the 7th... of AUGUST.  The entire grace period thing came up 2 days ago (7Dec).

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

You'll probably have a better game experience by waiting the 8 or 9 days to get the CE delivered.  All your gonna miss is the initial onslaught of players in the starter areas and probably a bit of unexpected server maintenance.

• OcirusskdOcirusskd Member Posts: 212

doh. oops, damm posters putting false info up

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

NP... that's part of the issue is that it was REPEATEDLY stated, and then pulled really close to launch.  This REALLY affects the CE buyers (the ones who invested the largest sum to EA).  If I didn't want the swag I WOULD have gone digital.  

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

When I ordered my CE I ordered it with USA one day shipping. The fastest you can get it. I was told unless Bioware allows them to ship early I will get mine after Christmas prolly early January. I was told one bit of kinda good news. If they cant ship it early they will refund my shipping costs.

I am not miffed like most people on the forums. I do still think Bioware and EA are wrong for pulling the grace period after it was promised from various posts and statements by developers. But I have learned about game companies thanks to dealing with SOE and EA. Dont ever trust a game company or anything they say. I have a motto I use alot in these situations. "Just because a developer says, doesnt make it true."

When they announced the release date as Dec. 20th. I told people then, in the forums, that this was gonna be bad. But I was flamed off the forums being told that Bioware knew what they were doing and had everything in hand. Still wanna go find that old thread and tell everyone "Told you so."

The thing that really makes me wonder though. It just seems all really shady to me. Like they knew this was going to happen for awhile and set things up so it wouldnt backlash that bad. For example. An hour or so before the bad news about grace periods they made an announcement about 2 days extra time during early access. And that is what most of the news sites covered. Like they buried the grace period announcement so no one would report on it.

Kai

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

Originally posted by Sorrow

Originally posted by MaGicBush

If you have origin installed your code should already be attached to your game in the origin loader I think give me a few Ill go check but think I remembered seeing it there last time I looked.

Yup I am right the product code is attached already where it shows the box when you open origin click the little i symbol in the bottom corner of the game and it shows the product code.

Ooops scratch that its apparently just another copy of the pre-order code but once you pay for it that should be where you find the product code.

Hrm, well I never have installed origin. I just had the patcher from beta and logged in to my account with the pre-order code and it updated the game to 1.0, so didn't see a point in getting origin(not even sure what that is lol). Well if launch day I don't get an e-mail with my code I will download origin, thanks for the tip!

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Chivalry1978

So what will happen with Star wars...Well actually they cant really do much as Lucas is a MOFO when it comes to his property and if EA screws it up He will yank it and put it up on another competitors service....

What a load of bantha dung. You don't honestly believe that do you?

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by Mythios11

You'll probably have a better game experience by waiting the 8 or 9 days to get the CE delivered.  All your gonna miss is the initial onslaught of players in the starter areas and probably a bit of unexpected server maintenance.

na you can expect that onslaught to last a week or four haha, my advice, do whatever you can do when you get in (mostly story stuff) and skip the small side quest that is if you want to progress "fast" if you are there for the "fun"and "exploring" then 10 min waiting or running around to reach a clicky item in time before someone else snatches it away wont mather much.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I wanna make sure I'm good to go.  I didn't know I would have to re-input any codes, so I didn't look to closely.   On Origin, I have an unlock code. Is this the same thing as my game code? or is it my early access code?

Thx in advance

I self identify as a monkey.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Bioware has stated that all those who pre ordered from origin will recieve there code in an email on or around the 16th. So u wont have any issue if u ordered from origin and u wont have to install the origin ap thingy

which so many are scared of and think is the end of all gaming as we know it.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by kalinis

Bioware has stated that all those who pre ordered from origin will recieve there code in an email on or around the 16th. So u wont have any issue if u ordered from origin and u wont have to install the origin ap thingy

where was this stated just so we can end this argument once and for all?

I wanna see it hehe.

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I wanna make sure I'm good to go.  I didn't know I would have to re-input any codes, so I didn't look to closely.   On Origin, I have an unlock code. Is this the same thing as my game code? or is it my early access code?

Thx in advance

No.

All you have been charged so far is a $5 deposit. You'll be charegd the full amount on Dec. 16th and will get your new "owner" code by email (and you'll be able to see it in the Origin page if you use their app.)

Edit: and before you ask, no you can't pay Origin the full amount now and get the new code early...tried...can't.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Laughing-man

I wanna see it hehe.

It's linked up above in this thread but you can just use common sense: have you paid for the game yet? No you haven't so can you get a certificate of ownership now? The 16th is correct.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

Originally posted by Iselin

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Thx in advance

No.

All you have been charged so far is a $5 deposit. You'll be charegd the full amount on Dec. 16th and will get your new "owner" code by email (and you'll be able to see it in the Origin page if you use their app.)

Edit: and before you ask, no you can't pay Origin the full amount now and get the new code early...tried...can't.

Actually they should'ent charge you until dec 20th ... ie - release day.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Iselin

Originally posted by Laughing-man

I wanna see it hehe.

It's linked up above in this thread but you can just use common sense: have you paid for the game yet? No you haven't so can you get a certificate of ownership now? The 16th is correct.

well they charged me 65 bucks so I'd say I have?