Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your expectations of the game?

Personally, I am not crazy about the game, but a big launch, a huge pool of players, the thrills of raiding and PvP mayhem still bring back fond memories of good old WoW.

Only managed to get into the stress beta event they held at the end of last month and I had some mixed feelings about the game.

But am willing to give it a fair shot and play some (if not most) of the stories. Of the few choices I've made, BH seemed just my thing in oppposion to the Trooper and Jedi.

As long as the game will gratify me with a couple of months of casual play, I'd say it was worth it. Ofc, I can only hope I'll get hooked, I really miss being addicted to a game again ;)

So what are your thoughts/expectations on the matter?

Comments

• udorusudorus Member Posts: 79

enjoyed the beta, will sub for 6 months untill have a few 50's and then see but yeah not been subbed to anything for 6 months so hopefully they can retain me longer.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Originally posted by udorus

enjoyed the beta, will sub for 6 months untill have a few 50's and then see but yeah not been subbed to anything for 6 months so hopefully they can retain me longer.

Hm, sounds like a serious commitment right there, glad you enjoyed it ;)

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Wonder how much more people would be prepared to enjoy this if they hadn't played WoW first.

As someone that played several MMO's before WoW, I never really make that auto-comparison to 'good ol WoW'. Just think that's kind of funny where the SRC comes from with most newer gamers.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

I was in a closed test for a month earlier this year then again for a stress test weekend. Not much had changed in that time and I still see it as an ok game but nothing more. I've pre-ordered and expect to play for a month or two at most. It's very repetitive after you've played for a couple of weeks and I don't see it having a long term subscriber base.

I buy most new mmorpg's when they come out but comparing it with others from the last couple of years, I would rate it better than Aion but not as good as Rift , War or AoC. That's just my personal opinion of course, your opinion may differ.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Mine are more or less the same.

However, I'll be playing the  Imperiall Agent & I'm still on the fence about if I wanna try sith or Jedi. Have to play a lightsaber class, at least one, if it's a starwars game.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

My expectations are realistic. I accept SWTOR for what it is and not what it could be. I wanted a story driven MMO with more focus on personality of my character. In every MMO your character is mostly a mind less killing machine. Swtor gave my character a background, personality and purpose. For first time in long time i actually care and actively take part in RP which has been missing from MMOS for  along time now.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

Originally posted by aesperus

Mine are more or less the same.

However, I'll be playing the  Imperiall Agent & I'm still on the fence about if I wanna try sith or Jedi. Have to play a lightsaber class, at least one, if it's a starwars game.

Haha, good point about the lightsaber thingy ;P

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I think a lot of people who have reservations about TOR, but are buying it, are going to get hooked.

Your opinion sounds exactly like mine six months ago before I got into the general beta. Actually, I wasn't even going to pre order or play at launch. I thought I would pick it up a month or two later and play for the stories only.

Now, I'm running a guild. I got totally hooked in the first couple weeks of playing it. It turned my opinion from "meh" to excitement and addiction quickly. Six months of playing the game later, and I am not bored or burned out like people keep saying will happen. I'm even more excited now.

This game really is something special. To me it's going to provide a long time game to play, I believe.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I don't any expectations. I've learned my lesson with one too many MMO releases.

Go in with no expectations and you're more likely to be impressed, at least that's my paradigm at the moment.

I'm still playing EVE, about to unlock a fantastically fun (yet brutally expensive) ship - So ToR will be more of a backburner thing (especially since we're going to war soon in EVE).

Originally posted by helthros

I don't any expectations. I've learned my lesson with one too many MMO releases.

Go in with no expectations and you're more likely to be impressed, at least that's my paradigm at the moment.

I'm still playing EVE, about to unlock a fantastically fun (yet brutally expensive) ship - So ToR will be more of a backburner thing (especially since we're going to war soon in EVE).

I have a deep respect for that game, as I have for mathematical minds, even though I suck at mathematics.

It is truly a unique game, shame it used to have such a steep learning curve and somewhat uninspired PvE missions.

But I guess that's just me, I must be having a themepark/robotic oriented mind ;)

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by helthros

Wonder how much more people would be prepared to enjoy this if they hadn't played WoW first.

As someone that played several MMO's before WoW, I never really make that auto-comparison to 'good ol WoW'. Just think that's kind of funny where the SRC comes from with most newer gamers.

That would be me. I haven't invested much time in MMO's since Nov 05. Tried quite a few briefly. I didn't play WoW past the free month and played CoH off and on. So SWToR is like a fresh start for me. I used to be more of a sandbox guy (SWG) but I just don't have the same amonnt of time these days to play with that kind of dedication. As a casual gamer I can see getting a good 6-9 months of solid gameplay just out of the release version. I will probably find it hard to keep up with the new content as it is released.
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

It is simply something to waste time on until something good comes out.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by dubyahite

I think a lot of people who have reservations about TOR, but are buying it, are going to get hooked.

Your opinion sounds exactly like mine six months ago before I got into the general beta. Actually, I wasn't even going to pre order or play at launch. I thought I would pick it up a month or two later and play for the stories only.

Now, I'm running a guild. I got totally hooked in the first couple weeks of playing it. It turned my opinion from "meh" to excitement and addiction quickly. Six months of playing the game later, and I am not bored or burned out like people keep saying will happen. I'm even more excited now.

This game really is something special. To me it's going to provide a long time game to play, I believe.

This was the same as my experience. Was expecting a shallow game with little lasting appeal, ended up hooked.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

if I get 3-4 months of good amusement off this, i'm happy!

SWTOR is terrific KOTOR3, average MMO

I love the KOTOR3.

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

Realistically I'll sub for 3mo's. Given the first month free thats a 4mo total sub which is my general method with new MMO's. I bought the game with the expectation that the game will be fun for at least 2-3 mo's, and personally I feel anyone else with the same mindset wont be dissapointed.

After that 4 mo's its upto Bioware to keep my sub, if they add content updates etc then I'll stay and my investment pays off further. If they dont then I'll quit and have no hard feelings about it.

To me its unrealistic to buy a brand new MMO from a new to the market company (Biowares first MMO) and assume it will be the game your going to play for the next several years. It your only buying the game based on the fact that you'll be playing it for years, I'd say pass and wait for the 3 mo's feedback from others while getting a better idea of the update model. If you accept that the game will be good for a few months entertainment and after that period its down to Bioware to keep you, then you wont be dissapointed (IMO)

As with all Themepark MMO's content is king. People dont mind themeparks as long as theres a shiney new ride added from time to time, its all down to Biowares ability to update at that point.

I already know people are going to say that Bioware has months of content already planned yada yada ... proof is in the pudding though. I'll wait until I see said content before I believe it thanks.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

i prefer to play DCUO or Global Agenda but many of my good friends will be in TORO so like it or not, ill have good friends that will fill my game time with good moments

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • kastakasta Member Posts: 512

Like most games, I will play it while it is fun and when it becomes un-fun I will stop.  I expect to get a bit of time out it as I really enjoyed what I saw in couple weekend betas.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh ,expectations about a game that lost over 300,000 pre orders in the past couple of months?

My only expectation is , well I got 2 expectations ;

1- With in the first year , I'd say about 60% of the player base will have moved on to another MMO.

2- I don't see how this game can survive after the foolish mistake of closing down galaxies? SWtor won't have the same popularity as Galaxies , and they shot themselves in the foot by closing it down. They lost alot of fans and alot of credibility in the process , and CREDIBILITY goes a long way in today's MMO business *Looks at NCsoft*  *sigh*

Originally posted by kasta

Like most games, I will play it while it is fun and when it becomes un-fun I will stop.  I expect to get a bit of time out it as I really enjoyed what I saw in couple weekend betas.

Exactly. like Bioware said in one of the interview 'it is good to let players have breaks'. No matter how awesome a MMO is people come and go all the time. I personally can not play a MMO more than 2 or 3 months. I take couple of months break and then rejoin. Too much going on in real life to make that kind of commitment.

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

Originally posted by SuprGamerX

Heh ,expectations about a game that lost over 300,000 pre orders in the past couple of months?

1- With in the first year , I'd say about 60% of the player base will have moved on to another MMO.

2- I don't see how this game can survive after the foolish mistake of closing down galaxies? SWtor won't have the same popularity as Galaxies , and they shot themselves in the foot by closing it down. They lost alot of fans and alot of credibility in the process , and CREDIBILITY goes a long way in today's MMO business *Looks at NCsoft*  *sigh*

Bioware had nothing to do with SWG being shut down.

Sony had already announced that they were not renewing the licence agreement with LA because SWG was not a viable concern. (Ie it was'ent profitable)

This had nothing to do with Bioware and LA would have been quite happy to take the cash from sony to keep SWG open.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

Originally posted by demarc01

Sony had already announced that they were not renewing the licence agreement with LA because SWG was not a viable concern. (Ie it was'ent profitable)

This had nothing to do with Bioware and LA would have been quite happy to take the cash from sony to keep SWG open.

odd...... i read 3 articles that said that LA was the one that didnt renew the contract with SOE cuz they dint want to have conflict with TORO players, and SOE said that the game was still profitable, but was LAs choice.

and is more believable cuz SOE working already for GCW2 update that time.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Please link to the over 300,000 pre orders lost, I can't seem to find anything about this.

• Jonnas13Jonnas13 Member UncommonPosts: 93

Originally posted by defector1968

Originally posted by demarc01

odd...... i read 3 articles that said that LA was the one that didnt renew the contract with SOE cuz they dint want to have conflict with TORO players, and SOE said that the game was still profitable, but was LAs choice.

You will need to provide links to prove this. Every article I have read with John Smedley has said that shutting down SWG was a mutual agreement between SOE and LA over the price vs profit on renewing the licence.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

I expect it to be fun to play.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

Still waiting for you to show a link or something because i can not find any news regarding this.