Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to Play is a joke for Veterans....

13»

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

rofl, logged into my 90 warlock and I'm naked and can't talk in any chat channels.  What a joke.  Just shows me SOE only cares about the bottom dollar first before customer satisfaction.  How pathetic.  No wonder DCUO tanked and the Agency never left the gates.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by elocke

rofl, logged into my 90 warlock and I'm naked and can't talk in any chat channels.

silver accts have unlimited chat ability - sounds like a bug

http://www.everquest2.com/free

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

The amount of people who expects to play eq2 without any restrictions free of charing just boggles my mind. What could possibly get you to think that way? How uninformed and naive can you be?! This is not a charity people.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

So what you're saying is, you got a gift horse and you don't like the look of her teeth?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

Originally posted by Nadia

rofl, logged into my 90 warlock and I'm naked and can't talk in any chat channels.

silver accts have unlimited chat ability - sounds like a bug

http://www.everquest2.com/free

Thing is, for some reason I'm not flagged for Silver membership.  I've been in queue for support for 2 days.  At this point I just have given up on even trying to play the game.

Originally posted by Everket

The amount of people who expects to play eq2 without any restrictions free of charing just boggles my mind. What could possibly get you to think that way? How uninformed and naive can you be?! This is not a charity people.

Don't be naive.  Lotro and AoC allow me plenty of wiggle room in order to play a character but to get farther in certain areas, sure you have to pay.  At least they don't tease you like EQ2 does by letting you log into an old character and stare longingly at all that gear you worked hard for.  It's called customer appreciation as well as the competition doing it better.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

I am with you... I don't understand why everyone is so upset that they can't play unrestricted for free. Apparently not many realize what the F2P model is anymore... There is a reason you are allowed to sub for 15$ a month if you want.... just like before.... you can't expect everything handed to you for FREE. How the hell would Sony make any money?

I don't know if it's just angry Sony haters that are ignorant, or if the whole internet is headed that way, but people need to read/look into crap before they jump to conclusions lol.

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

Don't be naive.  Lotro and AoC allow me plenty of wiggle room in order to play a character but to get farther in certain areas, sure you have to pay.  At least they don't tease you like EQ2 does by letting you log into an old character and stare longingly at all that gear you worked hard for.  It's called customer appreciation as well as the competition doing it better.

I'm with ya! I had an old EQ II account that, and with the new F2P system, I thought I would go check out. In 04 had a choice of WoW or EQ II and well, picked EQ II.

For starters my 80+ level Warlock was gone. Not locked but deleted! All my other characters were there, but the Warlock was gone. Called CSR and was told it was deleted on their end. NICE!

Some of the other F2P games (Lotro, DDO, etc..) allow the player to experience the game, have bank slots and access to nearlly everything with the exception of certain adventures and in some cases classes.

As someone who used to pay for LOTRO and as someone who purchases expansion packs in the past, I had access to all the old material I had already paid for (expansion items included). To unlock 2 more character slots and a few other goodies took only a $5 one time payment.

What EQII is thinking is beyond me. The idea you have to purchase access to certain items (some of which you already have but now can't use) is just ridiculous and just overall a bad idea. There is a way to go about having a F2P game model where you can still get people to pay for things (like adventure packs, extra quests, areas to explore, etc..) without doing this sort of pety stuff that SOE seems to love to do to their player base.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

The point is though is that he has already paid for that content and he has invested time into achieving it.

He obviously has no unreasonable expectations, nor does he think SOE is a 'charity'. If he did he wouldn't have paid them for that content already.

Seeing as server access is what they are giving for free the only thing he should have to pay for is to access any NEW content he desires.

Everything he has been locked out of, I believe, comes from a client or xpack that he has paid for.

The SOE mantra seems to eternally be 'why dip a customer once when you can dip lots'. Sadly, they are not alone.

When will these corperations learn that long term customer love is worth more then short term cash grabs.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

How the hell would Sony make any money?

By offering attractive and compelling new content, fluff and otherwise, via their cash shop.

What is confusing you about this concept?

TBH, the latest 'Xpack' should have been broken down into component parts and been sold this way at the start of the F2P launch.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by vesavius

TBH, the latest 'Xpack' should have been broken down into component parts and been sold this way at the start of the F2P launch.

no disagreement there

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by JayFiveAlive

How the hell would Sony make any money?

I agree there :P

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by Portland

Yo Guys !

I just had a good laugh when i updated my EQ2 installation and loged into my old account :)

> None of my existing chars has the right class for free to play !

> None of my existing chars has the right race for free to play!

> i have only 6 character slots but 8 chars, i have to delete 2 chars first or buy additional Slots (WTF?)

I cant login with just one of my eight old Characters without paying ! hahaha !! 

They want me to buy the Classes i need the race´s i need and 2 character slots before i can use Free to play as Veteran !

Well thats my Everquest 2 Free to play story for now !! 

In short > Its a nice new idea of a free trial but nothing for ex-players... i dont think i am the only ex-player that cant play without PAY !! rofl...

Thanks for saving me the time because I was trying my damndist to remember my password, and the answer to my secruity question so that I could retreive my account. After looking up what the f2p entails, my character would be locked anyways, no way id start over. 

Thanks again! Farewell EQII for good.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

Originally posted by toddze

Originally posted by Portland

Yo Guys !

I just had a good laugh when i updated my EQ2 installation and loged into my old account :)

> None of my existing chars has the right class for free to play !

> None of my existing chars has the right race for free to play!

> i have only 6 character slots but 8 chars, i have to delete 2 chars first or buy additional Slots (WTF?)

I cant login with just one of my eight old Characters without paying ! hahaha !! 

They want me to buy the Classes i need the race´s i need and 2 character slots before i can use Free to play as Veteran !

Well thats my Everquest 2 Free to play story for now !! 

In short > Its a nice new idea of a free trial but nothing for ex-players... i dont think i am the only ex-player that cant play without PAY !! rofl...

Thanks for saving me the time because I was trying my damndist to remember my password, and the answer to my secruity question so that I could retreive my account. After looking up what the f2p entails, my character would be locked anyways, no way id start over. 

Thanks again! Farewell EQII for good.

Just FYI your character would not be locked, though I suppose if you had legendary armor it would be naked.

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

not messing about with the sc store anymore just sub back to gold for 6 mouths :).

to play ya old high lv toons on silver you have to talk to an npc in freeport or qunos and they change the gear you can not use to other stuff for you.

• Castekin1000Castekin1000 Member Posts: 36

If you read the official forums the feedback appears to be very positive especially after allowing people to log into there old toons.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=510915

The feedback from the freeloaders on this website says more about the community here than anything about SOE to be honest.

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

Originally posted by Castekin1000

If you read the official forums the feedback appears to be very positive especially after allowing people to log into there old toons.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=510915

The feedback from the freeloaders on this website says more about the community here than anything about SOE to be honest.

The link you provide is about "grandfathering in" characters, which is something they should have had straight from the start. it is NOT about the overall F2P expereince SOE is providing.

More to the point, I don't see how what has been brought up here is at all unreasonable, or how that somehow makes people "freeloaders" as you put it. The examples have been cited in this thread, of other games who do F2P, do it pretty well, and are able to make money doing it.

SOE could have followed these examples, made their money without aleinating much of their old/existing player base. They decided not to go that route....most certainly their right to do so, but don't expect people to not feel like it's just another case of SOE being SOE and penny pinching their clients for rediculous reasons, when they would be better served to let people keep their exisitng items (regardless of rarity) and make their money like many of the other games do...through adventure packs, added quests, housing items, mounts...the list goes on and on.

On a side note...I mentioned my character was deleted a few pages back. Well SOE tells me they can restore my character but ONLY if I re-up my subscription to gold membership! I've never heard of anything so absurd in all my life, I played this game for 4 years back when it first came out, bought all the expansions as well in that time..AND THAT is the response I get when trying to get my character un-deleted?

Some things never change with this company...

• JenadaraJenadara Member Posts: 95

Honestly all the griping about free is pathetic.  Stop b**ching about free stuff!  If you want your old stuff back, fork up the bucks.

At least they grandfathered your old characters in no matter what the subscription, and if they are not there, then a petition should be made.  Sony isn't exactly known as making these type of transitions smooth.