Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: SWTOR: Rules of Enragement

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There's no question that a lot of n00bs will be checking in to play Star Wars: The Old Republic. That said, there are some tried and true rules that n00bs should pay attention to and which we will impart our vast knowledge about in today's column. Check these puppies out and then let us know what you think in the comments.

They could be old Star Wars fans who want to live in the world that they've come to know and love but have never really been into video games, or maybe they're gamers who are genre hopping into the world of MMORPG's in hopes of finding out where they truly belong...

...either way, the n00bometer is about to hit plaid.

Read more Coyote's Howling: SWTOR: Rules of Enragement.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    One word lol great read mr.wolf
  • DaShnipaDaShnipa Member UncommonPosts: 33

A great start to my morning. 100% Priceless.

Main Rig --- i7 920 @ 3.6ghz//6GB Patriot XGS DDR3 1600@1804 mhz CAS9//HAF 932//Corsair HX1000//ASUS P6T Deluxe//2xMSI GTX570 Twin Frozr II SLI//64GB Patriot Torqx SSD// 1TB Seagate HDD

Secondary --- Macbook :)

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

Darth Brooks ftw!!  haha

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Oh man that was great.  I love this guy.

Can we just replace every topic on the SWTOR forums with this epic article?

• meccariellomeccariello Member Posts: 50

lmao@ psychotic star wars fans and the wow comments. people forget that only abourt 25% of wow subscribers are american... MOST are asian who play on a very different game and pay model (i have heard closer to $1 a month)

www.insomniacsbar.com (my little bar that i own in florida)

• tysonj25tysonj25 Member UncommonPosts: 66

The fact that he put in pictures of his own bedroom made me laugh....Great article!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I'm getting the feeling that -- if I go play Skyrim...  you wouldn't tell me its okay to log in at all.  You'd probably completely forget about me while you're out there on your luxury yacht, throwing SWTOR parties, and eating bruschetta...   and like a sucker I'd be sitting here.. thinking you have my best interests at heart.  

Its always Chance with you... never Community Chest.....

• VeldekarVeldekar Member Posts: 220

This is one thing I noticed a while back both on the forums and in beta in-game chat; that there seemed to be lot of people that were new to mmo's. I could tell by the questions they were asking, and at first I thought they were just trolling, but it was happening so much that it could only mean that they had never played an mmo before. I especially realized this while doing flashpoints. /facpalm

So yeah, while I think this is going to be a major driving force to the success of TOR, it's definately going to be a test of patience for me, and i'm quite sure others as well. But hey, its all good, right?

• thedrakonthedrakon Member UncommonPosts: 213

Was really nice to read.

Have fun everyone !

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

Originally posted by meccariello

lmao@ psychotic star wars fans and the wow comments. people forget that only abourt 25% of wow subscribers are american... MOST are asian who play on a very different game and pay model (i have heard closer to $1 a month)

Not really correct.

They have a pay2play model that uses time allotments. So they pay for X amount of hours and can use those hours as they see fit. Where as its totally possible that player X spends $1 a month, its also possible that player Y who's logged on 24/7 pays $25 a month.

You also need to concider currency exchange rates, for some area's 3 or 4 bucks a month (in real value for them) equals 10 or 20 bucks to us.

I understand your point, that WoW tracks active users and not subscribers, people love to use the scrapbook math that 10 million users = $150 million bucks a month which is FAR from the truth. Dont say that they pay *far less than us* to play though because without factoring real world currency exchange rates etc your not really being truthful either and that makes you as bad as the *$150 million a month* touters.

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    O man you foubd me out i was gunna be t1870 or wait i cant use ##'s ... herm clonecommander sweet
  • NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

These are not rational, intelligent, reasonable people - they are borderline mental patients who were given a gaming outlet so that they'd stop trying to gouge the midichlorians out of their day nurse with plastic Jell-O spoons.

Amen to that. I swear Star Wars fans are NOT normal people. Even for Sci-Fi nerds, these guys are to the extreme!

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Made me smile before work thanks. And dont you evet bad mouth star wars or ill attack you with a badger on a stick
  • face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Awesome read, thanks.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

"trying to gouge the midichlorians out of their day nurse with plastic Jell-O spoons." I totally can picture that. lmao

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Seriously, I can't stress this enough. Have you been to the official forums? Have you seen the 36 thousand pages of locked threads that ended in epic flame wars because someone pointed out that Boba Fett was an overrated character? These are not rational, intelligent, reasonable people - they are borderline mental patients who were given a gaming outlet so that they'd stop trying to gouge the midichlorians out of their day nurse with plastic Jell-O spoons.

This is probably one of the best paragraphs I've come across in awhile. Awesome.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Coyote:

"If he was really that awesome of a character,  Mark Hamill wouldn't have spent most of the 80's and early 90's whipping up batches of horsey sauce at Arby's."

Or gone on to become one of the best baddass Jokers in DC history. Sorry Coyote but you lose on this one because if you're going to count Arby's, count his work as the Joker as well.  But overall, nice and witty.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

Nice post Coyote !

I swear the debates between TOR vs. WoW/GW2/TSW spring up anywhere now...

It's like any paragraph with TOR in it sparks the debate.... It's kinda like that urban legend of Bloody Mary" or  saying  Dr. Sm@rt's name in a game related web post.

Regardless, the post was awesome Coyote!

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

But what about the butterfly effect?  What if my character steps on a caterpillar and Luke never exists? 

Does that mean the Emperor reigns forever?  AWESOME!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Great read as usual.  One thing you forgot to mention, the starter areas are going to be swarmed for the first few days, so even if you like to solo, grouping will get some of those early quests finished quicker.

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

Sorry but comparing it to World of Warcraft is going to be the most used game.  Mostly being it's popularity and not everyone would know what you mean if you used Asherons Call, Dark Age of Camelot, Meridian 59.

You can use Rift but it's better with using Wow... since it feels the same anyways.

• beowulf2014beowulf2014 Member UncommonPosts: 72

Great Read. I got quite a few chuckles.

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

i laughed alot, what a read, more of this pls, my friends on skype was asking all the time:

what are you reading?? im normally silent while reading, but i liked this :)

• Omni1rbbOmni1rbb Member Posts: 83

"MMORPG.com has opened the proverbial Pandora's Box and let Coyote Sharptongue out with the understanding that no topic is sacred. He can discuss it all."

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

The one thing I can say about Mark Hamill: Best Joker Ever! (even if it was just the voice)