Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dawntide: World Redesign Incoming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Dawntide developer blog has been updated with the news that the dev team will be shutting down the game's beta test server and wiping all current player account. The move is in preparation for the planned redesign of the game world. The estimated shutdown will last approximately 1-2 months, according to the blog post.

For a while now, we’ve been working on a planned world redesign, intended to replace the current mostly empty game world with a new more interesting, detailed and visually appealing world. Thanks to a number of improvements on the shader and terrain design parts of our engine, we’re now ready to move ahead with this project.

Read the full post on the Dawntide forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

I've never actually heard of this game.. but I watched a beta gameplay video just now, and I am very interested to play it. Guess i'll have to wait a few months. Hopefully they can put some polish on this.

• RebornDragonRebornDragon Member UncommonPosts: 121

It's bad

Max skill cap that groups trade skilles and combat together. So if you want to craft you won't really be able to particpate in combat that well, and if you want to be good combat you pretty much won't be able to craft.

Horrible way to design a game they claim is an open world sandbox, which is why you're never heard of it, very few people stick around after playing for 5 minutes and learning just how limited they will be in the game.

Seperating the two into different skill point pools would make the game a bit more appealing imo, but as of right now it's not worth mentioning to anyone.

• ZergmanZergman Member UncommonPosts: 41

@RebornDragon

That's why you create 2 characters, the crafter and the warrior. Don't know about you but I don't remember any infamous warrior ever being the greatest crafter in the world?

A sandbox dictates you can construct your own composite character in a persistent fantasy setting. It does not suggest your character is Chuck Norris farting The Axe of Godly Crafting Ability whilst punching a dragon in the mouth.

@Afropuff420

You haven't heard of it as it's being created by an absolutely tiny development team on a very limited budget. The game has been in beta for a long time as the long development time has been supplemented with open beta in fixing core issues. The game was set to release some months ago but was delayed as the game is still in no state to be released.

• lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Zergman

@RebornDragon

That's why you create 2 characters, the crafter and the warrior. Don't know about you but I don't remember any infamous warrior ever being the greatest crafter in the world?

A sandbox dictates you can construct your own composite character in a persistent fantasy setting. It does not suggest your character is Chuck Norris farting The Axe of Godly Crafting Ability whilst punching a dragon in the mouth.

Exactly.  Being good at everything is part of what killed Darkfall.  There need to be caps to encourage trading and specialty roles.  In a world where all players can craft everything they need, the economy collapses quickly.

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I admire this development team, but it would seem they're just spinning their wheels and throwing money at something that will never be profitable. 

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

I found the UI clunky as hell to use.

Just couldnt get into the game.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

@RebornDragon ;

Yeah that's how UO was as well. I ac tually really liked that about the game. You actually have to really consider what skills to raise. Make various characters to do different things. In UO I had a Fighter, Mage, Blacksmith, and Fisherman. I dont think I would enjoy it as much if I had all of those characters rolled into one. 

I hope this game eventually sees the light of day with a bit of polish and minimal bugs. The industry could really use something like this. 

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Originally posted by RebornDragon

It's bad

Max skill cap that groups trade skilles and combat together. So if you want to craft you won't really be able to particpate in combat that well, and if you want to be good combat you pretty much won't be able to craft.

Horrible way to design a game they claim is an open world sandbox, which is why you're never heard of it, very few people stick around after playing for 5 minutes and learning just how limited they will be in the game.

Seperating the two into different skill point pools would make the game a bit more appealing imo, but as of right now it's not worth mentioning to anyone.

Is it really about appealing to everyone?

Seems more like a targetted audiance if anything. Also this game wasn't designed specifically for your interest.

It's just another Sandbox game many of you can't agree on or show any support for. 

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

0.o yay! cant wait to see the outcome. Yea this game isnt great, but ill play it ! just wont pick fights with trolls anymore XD

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

"It's just another Sandbox game many of you can't agree on or show any support for."

This.  Sandbox games are an endangered species because the very people who should be interested in them are turning their noses up every time they have a quibble.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

the question is, how will this game survive, after so many years of hold back and with the imminent release of SWTOR And GW2 and AA, And TSW??

So What Now?

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I admire this development team, but it would seem they're just spinning their wheels and throwing money at something that will never be profitable. 

I think that the amount of money they invested in it is not that much. You just have to play it to understand the quality of game. So i am sure they would atleast get back whatever they invested in it even if they fail to make a profit. Few hundred players will be enough to keep it running.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

It will not have any issues with any of the AAA titles on the market as its a totally different type of game.

AAA titles tend to be theme park games and get boring fast so people move aronud to different ones all the time.

Sandbox games tend to keep a hardcore base of players for a very long time, like Darkfall a lot of the people still playing are the ones who played in beta. These type of games will never have massive populations because a lot of people cant handle being killed openly by other players and loosing their stuff and so on..

HAve been beta testing dawntide on and off and the main thing about the game was the world was empty and there was not much to do.

Hopefully this update will change that :)

I'm not going to bother quoting the various people who disagree with me about the combat and tradeskills sharing the same skill cap pool, but designing it so you have to skill up 5 different characters in different aspects instead of just letting the player skill up 1 in the same amount of time you could skill up 5 is bad design in a sandbox, end of story. Everyone claims fond memories of UO but UO only hit 250k subs at it's peak. Sure it's a success cause it makes meager amounts of money, but it's not what main stream is looking for.

I believe people are looking more for something like WURM Online, but 'better' (and by better I mean a developer that can spend a lot more cash on development, as stated earlier, indie devs don't fair that well because of development funds in sandboxes.)

• nightlosernightloser Member UncommonPosts: 2

I tested this game for a while, it still needs alotta polishing, balancing... it also needs some more content, buildings, transport options and....sea combat... I kept checking the game for almost 2 years, it seems the ships will serve exclusively for transport, no cannons, piracy etc.

They had a nice start and a few decent ideas, but looking at the amount of work still needed I'm starting to feel sorry for WAI team... They're nice guys, I hope they find the motivation to pull this out.

Originally posted by StoneRoses

Originally posted by RebornDragon

It's bad

Is it really about appealing to everyone?

Seems more like a targetted audiance if anything. Also this game wasn't designed specifically for your interest.

It's just another Sandbox game many of you can't agree on or show any support for. 

Maybe because it's bad? Im being honest here. Developers need honesty. If your target audience is too small to be profitable you're doing it wrong, obviously.

Sandbox games aren't supposed to hard-limit you. Ex: EVE Online, WURM Online (one of the better sandbox games i've played, it just needs some huge graphics upgrades), Minecraft.

Sorry but what they had was bad and unappealing, which is why it wasn't popular. I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm saying so they can hopefully wake up and realize what they were doing isn't going to get them anywhere. If they would like to bring me on as an intern/hire I would gladly show them what a large part of the market is looking for as this is what I am studying :)

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I know someone necro'ed this thread, but since it's alive now:

Development of Dawntide has been stopped since a few months - due to financial problems.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Originally posted by Larsa

I know someone necro'ed this thread, but since it's alive now:

Development of Dawntide has been stopped since a few months - due to financial problems.

Necro, but: Not suprising. Called it a long time ago. They did a kickstarer and was successful but it's just going to be the exact same crap unless they have learned. I feel bad for the people who didn't play the beta and gave the game money. The devs said they weren't ever changing the system, so that's all I have to go off of.