Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dont understand why does Swtor needs latest graphics?

SWtor does not need the latest greatest graphics, why complain about graphics. 

I mean  gameplay> graphics, and this statement is true.

Ill give you exmaples of mmo that have great great grpahics but nothing inside.

Vanguard, FFXIV, Mortal Online. Now look what happened to those mmo games. Oh and Age of Conan.

I rest my case. You Dont need the greatest latest graphics, mmo players dont need those things.

I mean come on why do you complain the grpahics look cartoony, as long as the gameplay holds.

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Eh... Some people are really into thegtaphics side of things.

This game isn't a photorealistic graphic style, which is fine by me, but I understand people wanting to have better an better graphics.

This game is simply not for them I guess. Plenty of people like this style of graphics though, as evidenced by TF 2, WoW, and a number of other popular games.

In the end it will be a deal breaker for some,but not for others. Doesn't really matter.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• PlutonasPlutonas Member Posts: 32

I agree and for myself i really love the graphics of WoW and thats why i keep playing this glorius game. And the gameplay of WoW is one of the finest. Also in the same vein of graphic style is SWTOR and i will be subscribed as well since it satisfies me graphically and the gameplay seems to be amazing... Another new mmo found a way to my heart!!!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Starwars001

Vanguard... FFXIV...

'Nothing inside'.... /boggle

Thats amazing statement aside... This isn't a conversation about style, because cartoon GFX can be done brilliantly as we see from Wildstar. It is really if they do what they are aiming for 'well' for a high budget new release.

I personally believe that SWTOR is most comparable to EQ2 GFX-wise, bearing in mind the age of that game.

Actually... looking at some EQ2 vids again, I would say that it as a game looks 'better' then SWTOR on a modern PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZvK7qJz6zg&feature=related 

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

You rest your case? You honestly believe you made a compelling argument?

Hey, gameplay IS more important than graphics. Except SW:ToR's gameplay is completely average, even failing to reach some of the levels of depth that many F2P games out there currently use. Unfortunately, their graphics are even less than that.

The graphics, I suspect, were intentionally tied to the overly simplistic and juvenile style of Clone Wars in order to create some cross-media consistency with their target audience; children. It makes sense, from a marketing standpoint, but also makes the game look like it was released 8 years ago.

So, while gameplay > graphics, in SW:ToR's case, the equation is more like: gameplay = graphics. Depending on your standards, that might be good enough.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Because some people want to justify buying new rigs yearly ?

MMO  success stories have never been based on best graphics .WoW certainly was not a forerunner in graphics.

DAoC at launch did not even look as good as AO but did much better.

When UO came out the gaming industry has moved to 3D graphics long before  but made mmo a new gaming force.

Fact is no mmorpg hoping to hit the mass market will make a mmo that can not run reasonably on a 4-5 yr old system.

AoC and EQ2  paid the price for this.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Good point.

No doubt the style is there to attract kids.  Game seems very oriented towards 10-13 year olds.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Right now the year is 2011, you would expect a big company like EA/Bioware to be able to design a game with good gameplay and awesome graphics.. they have the tech to do it and they have the skill to do it.. and they also have the money to put into it.

Yet with SWTOR they seem to have messed up both.

As for AOC wel lthe graphics where not the issue they just released too early.. Now the game is probally one of the best PVE MMORPGs out there.

EQ2 was a great game but it was so far away from what EQ1 was i pissed everyone off... the graphics where really good for its time and stand up against modern MMORPGs.

Originally posted by Caldrin

Right now the year is 2011, you would expect a big company like EA/Bioware to be able to design a game with good gameplay and awesome graphics.. they have the tech to do it and they have the skill to do it.. and they also have the money to put into it.

As for AOC wel lthe graphics where not the issue they just released too early.. Now the game is probally one of the best PVE MMORPGs out there.

EQ2 was a great game but it was so far away from what EQ1 was i pissed everyone off... the graphics where really good for its time and stand up against modern MMORPGs.

actually i disagree .the inital sales could have done way better on both games.I can tell you off  head of at least 3 people who did not buy EQ2 simply because of the high specs at launch ,one been my brother ,a true fan of eq lore by the way.he eventually got it 2 years later when he changed his pc.And guess which game they all joied a month later - WoW.

Fact is most people with a family,mortgage  etc will struggle to justify upgrading a pc within  3-4 years.Its even worse for kids who rely on hand me down pc/laptop.

Even me who used to upgrade with 2 years max almost did not get AoC because  of specs.My system was already 3 years old then and struggled in AoC beta severely.Was gonna pass it as i was newly married and got a new mortgage so it was not a priority but luckily for me my PC graphics card died  few days before launch and got the 4800 whch just launched !

Now this is when i now earned £10000 extra compared to when i was unmarried  and could comfortably upgrade every year.

College students are luckier  because they usuaully get  a new laptop for college when they get in(thats how my nephew got his).

Family people and kids make a huge chunk of mmorpg players nowadays compared to the geekish times of EQ1 .

On that note though i see nothing wrong with swtor graphics  myself.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

This video is an interesting video for those who concerned about the games graphics.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Vanguard, FFXIV, Mortal Online. Now look what happened to those mmo games. Oh and Age of Conan.

I rest my case. You Dont need the greatest latest graphics, mmo players dont need those things.

I mean come on why do you complain the grpahics look cartoony, as long as the gameplay holds.

The whole gameplay>graphics only works if it's gameplay was superior to games with better graphics.  Certain games contain mechanics what would catch a computer on fire if they were attempted with a massive polygon count.  I don't see SWTOR taking full advantage at the lower quality engine (at least yet).

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by Caldrin

I agree with the blue, I disagree with the red. A poster ahead of me kinda pointed this out. They want millions playing the game, not hundreads of thousands. And to have to play a super updated mind blowing graphics game, with good gameplay, the majority of people would need to upgrade. Putting a game out that can play on a 4-5 year old system is good econmics. Does it upset some, sure it does. But, it will make a lot more happier that they can buy it, and "not" have to upgrade their machine to play it.

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

For me it isn't the art style that is the problem; I'm fine with that.  The problem lies in the poor implementation of some aspects such as lighting.  This can be best seen either in some of the quest conversations when there are distinct and sharp triangular shadows or when running through an inside area.  The problem is caused by the light that is constantly on the players character bleeding over onto the npc in a convo; or seen as a jagged circle of light around the characters feet when moving.  Another problem is the clipping ( which I think is the correct term as I am no graphic artist ) when the players hair for instance is seen bleeding through the back of a hood or a vibroblade that appears to pass through the players body while carried on the back.  So not the art style but the errors in implementation.

Of course some graphics options were unavailable in beta so we will see what they are like when the game releases.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

After playing in Beta for some hours, i can understand, why people compare SWTOR with WoW so mutch, it is painted with the same colors, so was the impression on the first view for me.

Yeah, it was honestly somewhat dissapointing and i dont mean the comic-style, i mean something lika a brilliance of objects what is also possible without these dx11 godrays but all the grafix felt more like superb dx8 gfx with dx9 special effects.

The characteranimations feel very static too, the head isnt turning, instead the whole char turns statically arround.

Age of Conan is still ages ahead in point character dynamics and thats not directX related at all, at least not dx11.

Never judge a game in beta.

I may sound somewhat negative, but im going to play it anyways because its a solid game, it ran superb on my computer and im a StarWars fan, no doubt im gonna touch it :D

Sadly i couldnt reach a point in game, were we can speak of "gameplay". I just reached lvl 7 on my Jedi and got chain spanked by Bengel Morr or Marr or so. Combat can be some fun, but im not sure if there is also some kind of learning-curve, at least here i would have expected some more innovations but its the well known, what must not be something bad.

Also in point of combat AoC is ages ahead, but this can be explained with, what the developers/producers want.

So it was more some interactive book to experience instead of a game with actually "gameplay".

I just missed these "boah thats outstanding" feeling a little.

Otherwise, this interactive book offers different stories, depending on the answers you give, directing you to the light or the dark side, what i found most innovative, at least the first levels, so if i could not found something "new" within the grafix, i could find something new with this playable book.

Im looking forward for what else is in their stores.

Ofcause it does not need tha latest grafix, its a question of design and if the grafix fit the image inside the procuders head.

I cant say more from 5 hours of playing SWTOR, under the bottom it made a very nice impression to me, i cant wait for launch :D

May the force ... you know the drill ^^

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

I find it funny that people complain about the cost of upgrading a computer when they toss $60 down for a game and another $180 a year on subs without even thinking about it much... and in some cases, have multiple accounts to boot.  If you really are on the verge of bankruptcy, why in the world are you wasting your precious money on video games?  I'll bet everyone has a tablet PC, a cellphone, a laptop, a gaming system (if not 2 or more), and a whole host of games.  Add that all up... a new computer would have been cheap by comparison.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Everyone has their pet peeves. When the first screenshots were released for this game I didn't like the graphics either. They have come a long way for the better since then and now graphics are not an issue for me with this game.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

It doesn't. But it gives the trolls one more thing to start flame threads about.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

You lack to underastand what is art style and what is graphics in general.

The most stupid is me that  i still hanging in these forums with so unexperienced people.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

The only mmo's I have ever got into are Age of Conan and Aion, and I play those on max settings, so when I saw the graphics in beta it turned me off and I canceled my order. Not a hater I just need more than that. I guess if I had played games like wow ect. I would be cool with the "cartoon" feel but its not for me. I'll stick with AoC and wait for TERA.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

I have heard so much bitching about graphics and why they are reason not to play that I don't belive anymore that they don't matter.

Still, there is many issues with TOR, and personaly I don't like the style. Also it doesn't run on quite old hardware...

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by pmiles

I find it funny that people complain about the cost of upgrading a computer when they toss $60 down for a game and another $180 a year on subs without even thinking about it much... and in some cases, have multiple accounts to boot.  If you really are on the verge of bankruptcy, why in the world are you wasting your precious money on video games?  I'll bet everyone has a tablet PC, a cellphone, a laptop, a gaming system (if not 2 or more), and a whole host of games.  Add that all up... a new computer would have been cheap by comparison.

People complaining about Graphics know nothing about how massive a MMO can be, and at the end you want ¨Performance¨ and not a good looking game, anyone here remember aion?, ya it was ¨pretty¨ and then UNPLAYABLE with more than 100+ guys in the same zone. We wont find that problem in swtor, end of story.

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

There is nothing wrong with the graphics, even the ones at beta . The problem is, because of games like crysis 2 on pc which are highly advanced, you do say to yourself while your gaming, hmm the graphics are not so good.

The game is still very cool looking though, its just its not as graphical as other games just recently past.

Reason people compare it to WoW is because its the game that brought most players into the fold and thats what they will compare it with.

The formula of gameplay is the tried and tested age old formula of EQ and thus wow used it .

I recall at launch  of wow ,few pointed out that the game took so much from EQ but because the vast majority of players had no idea what this players were talking about it got sort of forgotten and the future mmo all got called wow clones rather then eq clones .

But thats the way life is.if swtor brings in an extra 100 million(yes i know it will not but been  play along) new players who never touched a mmo ever , the 2-3 millions who are ex wow players will get their voice drowned about it been so like wow  and every mmo game after that that uses the same formula will be called swtor clones ,exactly as it happened to eq1.

Truth be told there has only been 2 models in mmo in my view the UO/M59 formula and the EQ/wow formula.The EQ formula has proven to be the most successful one since 1999 and thus the most used one .

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Because it was realeased in 2012 and not 2002.  Bam.  nuff said.