Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low replay value

123457»

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Folk replay a game because they enjoy a class or want to do a storyline not available as another race or enjoy an area only available to a certain faction. Even in games that essentially make you kill the same mobs and do the same quests over and over people create alts. In SWTOR you have a whole new difference ..stories tailored for you. For me that seems like a wonderful incentive but to each his own I guess.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by kitarad

Folk replay a game because they enjoy a class or want to do a storyline not available as another race or enjoy an area only available to a certain faction. Even in games that essentially make you kill the same mobs and do the same quests over and over people create alts. In SWTOR you have a whole new difference ..stories tailored for you. For me that seems like a wonderful incentive but to each his own I guess.

I didnt really gave my opinion on it, everyone must make their own based on facts. Is 90/10 split a lot or no replay value is subjective.

Thats if you play same faction, theres always opposite faction.

Mostly its for poster stating that starter worlds are quite different, but they are different from later experience.

In all my years in MMOs i learned one thing: you cant judge MMO on first 10/20/x levels (depends on few factors) and starter areas.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Of course this game has low replay value, most RPG style games do. The big issue is that its a monthly subscription. Replying an RPG you liked because of the story is often times something you do rather spuratically rather then in some set time frame. Having a subscription lessens the chances of that occuring. Sure, you can claim people will resubscribe in an urge to revisit a story they liked (going along the side of replaying an exact class) but its not going to nessisarily attract people to do so. Lets face it, very few of us would pay to play a single player game we already bought.

That being said, replay value can be substituted in by having various classes to play. The biggest issue is the fact many quests would end up being repeated through as only the main storyline quests would differ. This could make the leveling experience less 'flourishing' then the first play through.

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

There are:

• 2 factions with faction specific content

• 4 major classes categories

• 4 diffrent starting planets

• 6 diffrent player owned spaceships (housing) that have game functions

• 8 diffrent storylines

• 12 diffrent basic skill tree lines that have 24 diffrent sets of ability animations

• 109 diffrent companions

• Heroic content

• Flashpoints (dungons)

• Operations (raids)

• difficulty scalable content

• PvP Battlegrounds

• Open World PvP

Not to mention, unique companion mission/crafting system auctions, and a very talented team of writers and voice actors prepared to create more content.

There is just as much replay value in TOR as any other game out there (MMO or single player).

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

are you high, this game has more replay value for alts, then ANY game out there.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Themepark MMO's in general are NOT built for "replability", and this is one of the primary reasons they fall on their faces.

However, Sandboxes ARE built for replayability, but not a SINGLE Sandbox has been made by a AAA company & done seriously. NOT A SINGLE ONE, and don't even mention SOE's attempt with SWG! They didn't give that project enough funds or interest for their company. It was STAR WARS, and SOE just muddled about not even trying (I had a neat chat with an x-Dev who used to work for SOE pre-CU @ at StarWars Con, very interesting stuff).

That being said, I'm waiting for Infinity: The Quest for Earth, DAOC II, & Planetside 2. Unfortunately, I believe DAOC II will never be seen...EVER :(. Oh, and that weird Alien thing PitchBlack are doing doesn't count as DAOC II. I am however slightly interested, but not very happy with how they treat their Alpha & Beta testers :'(.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Themepark MMO's in general are NOT built for "replability", and this is one of the primary reasons they fall on their faces.

However, Sandboxes ARE built for replayability, but not a SINGLE Sandbox has been made by a AAA company & done seriously. NOT A SINGLE ONE, and don't even mention SOE's attempt with SWG! They didn't give that project enough funds or interest for their company. It was STAR WARS, and SOE just muddled about not even trying (I had a neat chat with an x-Dev who used to work for SOE pre-CU @ at StarWars Con, very interesting stuff).

That being said, I'm waiting for Infinity: The Quest for Earth, DAOC II, & Planetside 2. Unfortunately, I believe DAOC II will never be seen...EVER :(. Oh, and that weird Alien thing PitchBlack are doing doesn't count as DAOC II. I am however slightly interested, but not very happy with how they treat their Alpha & Beta testers :'(.

ArcheAge and Elder Scrolls Online may be big budget Sandboxes.  Unfortunately one is a Korean made game, and the other is still a hidden secret rumor.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Sandbox is most definitely not made for replayablilty.  In a game where your one character can do anything and be anything why would you make a new character and not just advance your current.  In Sandbox the less your play your main the farther your fall behind.  In Themepark it is a set track.  Even if you alt you are usually fine because the track usually slows down how much a high level main can do.  Dailies only so many times a week, so many times you can run an dungeon, so much xp/faction/rep you can gain a day, etc.  These make one want to do an alt to fill the down times. 

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I didn't get far in the two beta's I was in but I did play 6 classes up to about lvl 10 and one up to 16. My biggest impression from that little bit was with just how much replayability there was. two sides each with two starting zones. Each zone has two starting classes that each have entirely different stories even though they are in the same area. Really I was amazed at how different the two jedi starting stories were considering they were in the same place. Yes they shared side quests but that was less than half of the experience.

From there your beginning classes split, with each giving pretty different game play. What I don't know at this point is if or how much the adv classes diverge in story. Even so, a player is still able to choose light and darkside paths. that is either 16 or 32 distinct stories depending on how much the advanced classes diverge. Even if just 16 that is pretty significant.

SWTOR has much more replayability than most games of late. Aion? all classes share 2 sides. Basically just 2 story lines. Rift? Great game, but again just 2 stories. SWTOR has other deficiencies but replayability is not one of them.

All die, so die well.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I think the OP is wrong on this point.  The one thing that this game does have going for it is replay value.  There's a whole lot that I don't like about this game, but none of it has anything to do with the character stories.  They all seem interesting to me and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to play every class in the game to at least 10-15 just to see what their starter story is like, and then play my main to level cap... at which point I'll either stay if the game has some persistent content or bail if it turns out to be another WoW style gear grind.  Considering just how much of a WoW clone it has turned out to be, I'm afraid the latter will hold true.

• Jrx80Jrx80 Member Posts: 19

Here is the problem with so called "Replay Value:" Every single person has a different opinion of what they want/desire to make a games "Replay Value" worthwhile.  That is why NO MMO to date has done it well. 

EQ? Vanguard? Rift? AC? WoW?  Really?  Some of those had plenty of classes to try, but no matter how you slice it, it's the same killing/quests/dungeons/group spots that you had on the last.  You might hit some skills with different names and slightly different effects, but in the end, you're still trying to kill the same mobs/complete the same quests, over and over.  No difference between that and TOR.  DoaC DID have more leveling replay value, only because you were basically in a completely different world for each of the three realms until you started getting into the RvR/PvP experience.  That said, they were the same types of quests, over and over again.  And while the RvR was fun, after about a month of doing it fairly heavilly, the replay value of that was gone too, no matter the class.

I'm still on the fence with ToR.  I have it pre-ordered, enjoyed the beta, but something still feels off for me.  That said, I do know it has nothing to do with the "Replay Value."  If that is your only complaint with ToR, you really should leave MMO's altogether.

This is not the genre you are looking for.  Move along.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

the game is worth buying if only to run 2 or three characters through it. The Imp and Repub storylines are seperate. PvPers will like the game also, best PvP design since DAoC in my opinion. Now if the would just redo the space game to JTL style I would be a happy camper.

I miss DAoC

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Ausare

Sandbox is most definitely not made for replayablilty.  In a game where your one character can do anything and be anything why would you make a new character and not just advance your current.  In Sandbox the less your play your main the farther your fall behind.  In Themepark it is a set track.  Even if you alt you are usually fine because the track usually slows down how much a high level main can do.  Dailies only so many times a week, so many times you can run an dungeon, so much xp/faction/rep you can gain a day, etc.  These make one want to do an alt to fill the down times. 

Single-player sandboxes are more often made so you can do everything on one character, especially these days - but in MMOs that people call sandboxes, like UO, old SWG, and EVE (to a lesser extent), this isn't the case at all. 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Jackdog

the game is worth buying if only to run 2 or three characters through it. The Imp and Repub storylines are seperate. PvPers will like the game also, best PvP design since DAoC in my opinion. Now if the would just redo the space game to JTL style I would be a happy camper.

Agree on all points basically mirrors my opinion of TOR.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Having never played JTL, is it more X-wing-esque?  Cause that's what my fingers are crossed for.  Eve-kind-of space with Star Wars would be AWESOME.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Ikeda

Having never played JTL, is it more X-wing-esque?  Cause that's what my fingers are crossed for.  Eve-kind-of space with Star Wars would be AWESOME.

I guess you could say it was X-wing esque but not nearly as deep. You could compare the flight system to the X: series of games, if you've played those. There were ship upgrades etc.. which added a decent layer of replayability, overall the mission system was rather generic though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by Keogh

There are:

• 2 factions with faction specific content

• 4 major classes categories

• 4 diffrent starting planets

• 6 diffrent player owned spaceships (housing) that have game functions

• 8 diffrent storylines

• 12 diffrent basic skill tree lines that have 24 diffrent sets of ability animations

• 109 diffrent companions

• Heroic content

• Flashpoints (dungons)

• Operations (raids)

• difficulty scalable content

• PvP Battlegrounds

• Open World PvP

Not to mention, unique companion mission/crafting system auctions, and a very talented team of writers and voice actors prepared to create more content.

There is just as much replay value in TOR as any other game out there (MMO or single player).

This. No wonder people are quick to ignore posts like these.

But in the end it is matter of opinion. If someone dislikes the game as a whole whether it has a replay value or not doesn't make a difference. However, i have no idea how anyone can even claim that SWTOR has low replay value. yeah you dislike the game no problem but low replay value? don't think so.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by Ausare

Single-player sandboxes are more often made so you can do everything on one character, especially these days - but in MMOs that people call sandboxes, like UO, old SWG, and EVE (to a lesser extent), this isn't the case at all. 

But at the start you can do anything with your character and as in UO if you do not play your character you lose.  There are no artificial stops in what you can learn or skill up that week as in a themepark that would make you switch to another character.  Also either the Sandbox is skill based where you have to use X skill X times to level up and that can kill your mind or it is level based with some kind of grind that will be exactly the same as a Themepark.