Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Similar game system?

easthamdeasthamd Member UncommonPosts: 4

Hiya,

Well let me be honest, i'm 28 and have just started playing this game and I really like the system. I just had a glance at it since now and then I want a break from the usual pew-pew games, or battering my head against the screen with frustration in Minecraft.

Are there any other games that have a similar sort of system to this? With the cards etc? You see I don't mind the fact that its a kids game, but as a 28 year old guy (granted I have a fiancee but still) it's not exactly a game aimed at my age group. I did have a look at that Magic game on steam but that looked way too complicated for me.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

(This isn't me saying I don't like Wizard 101, I think its a very fun game and I can see why its great for the young 'uns, just probably should look for something more similar in my age group)

Comments

• KingsIsleKingsIsle Community Manager of KingsIsleMember Posts: 158

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, but don't let the target demographic deter you from playing! We're quite proud of the fact we have a large adult population who also enjoy the game, and you can learn more about these players here: https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/7261.ftl

Tipa of West Karana is quoted saying "Deck building becomes an artform". The game is as deep as you want to play it. A player who casts a certain spell because they like the name of it, has just as much enjoyment as the person who spends hours painstakingly building their decks for maximum efficiency. As you progress in the game, the challenges become such that a strategy is useful, but not always necessary.

We've always wanted Wizard101 to be accessible to all ages, and enjoyable to all types of players. We've taken the 'Pixar' approach to accessibility. A quest title can have several meanings depending on the person reading it, for example, you're tasked with defeating fairies in Unicorn Way and the name of the quest is "Fairies Wear Boots". Now to our younger players, they take that literally, and yes, the fairies do actually wear boots, but it has a whole different meaning to any Black Sabbath fans out there. You'll find that sort of tiered meaning in most of the game, and hope that it brings a smile to the faces of all our players.

I hope you will continue to enjoy the game without concern for the target demographic. Our tiered chat system ensures that the younger players are protected while at the same time offering freer speech options to our 'age of majority' players.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us directly at [email protected]

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by KingsIsle

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, but don't let the target demographic deter you from playing! We're quite proud of the fact we have a large adult population who also enjoy the game, and you can learn more about these players here: https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/7261.ftl

Tipa of West Karana is quoted saying "Deck building becomes an artform". The game is as deep as you want to play it. A player who casts a certain spell because they like the name of it, has just as much enjoyment as the person who spends hours painstakingly building their decks for maximum efficiency. As you progress in the game, the challenges become such that a strategy is useful, but not always necessary.

We've always wanted Wizard101 to be accessible to all ages, and enjoyable to all types of players. We've taken the 'Pixar' approach to accessibility. A quest title can have several meanings depending on the person reading it, for example, you're tasked with defeating fairies in Unicorn Way and the name of the quest is "Fairies Wear Boots". Now to our younger players, they take that literally, and yes, the fairies do actually wear boots, but it has a whole different meaning to any Black Sabbath fans out there. You'll find that sort of tiered meaning in most of the game, and hope that it brings a smile to the faces of all our players.

I hope you will continue to enjoy the game without concern for the target demographic. Our tiered chat system ensures that the younger players are protected while at the same time offering freer speech options to our 'age of majority' players.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us directly at [email protected]

Best reply ever.

Anyhoo, don't be fooled that it's a kids game (Well, it is, but......you know). You have no idea how many adults enjoy it.

• easthamdeasthamd Member UncommonPosts: 4

Wow, that really was a lovely reply. I think I'll definetly be sticking around then. To hell with convention, i'm having a blast! I did have a chuckle at some of the quests already, the random Wizard of Oz references (including Toto wearing a top hat and monacle) made me laugh!

If anyone see's a guy called Angus Moondreamer that be me, trying out a Myth Conjurer type. Feel free to say hello!

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

I've played a LOT of MMOs, and Wizard101 is very, very high on the list (possibly beaten by only Eve Online) when it comes to uniqueness. FreeRealms is somewhat similar, but having played both I can say that I honestly enjoy Wizard101 much more.

As far as the combat goes, you would have to find an online version of Magic: The Gathering to find anything similar, I think.

<3

• easthamdeasthamd Member UncommonPosts: 4

Well since the staff member posting here was so friendly and honest, I've subscribed and even bought 5k crowns, hopefully I'll get a cheap mount or something with it. Really like the look of the Storm Hound pet but I'll wait till after xmas for that one ;)

Look forward to seeing you all in game.

• KingsIsleKingsIsle Community Manager of KingsIsleMember Posts: 158

See you in the Spiral!

And if you're looking for a good cause to spend your Crowns on, check out the new Chrismoose - a charity drive mount.

https://www.wizard101.com/game/twelve-days-wizard/chrismoose

~Lydia Greyrose

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276
    I started playing Wizard 101 with my six year old and quickly found it to have plenty of depth and value for adults as well. I am almost 40 and love the gameplay. Yes parts of it are "kiddie' in nature but 90% of the game can easily be enjoyable by adults. I have bought a couple of mega cards and spent some on crowns as well. I had two subs but took a break this month due to SWTOR coming out but fully intend to come back and start subbing again in a few weeks.

A lot of people that haven't played automatically thing W101 is just a kids game or has too simple of mechanics to be challaning for the older crowd. That is just not true. I used to for many, many years be a huge Magic: The Gathering and TCG fan and I can soundly say that the mechanics of the game are there for you to use according to your skill level. So yes while a six year old can understand the basics there is a huge amount of strategy that adult gamers of all ages can enjoy.

After many, many MMOs W101 is truly a game for all age groups. Kingsisle keeps the content fresh and also has a game that is very fair as far as the cash shop. It is a game I don't mind subbing and buying items from the shop at the same time, Even as a grown man it is fun as hell to visit my Suttan's Palace and see what my Lamp will give me.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• pixiewixie2pixiewixie2 Member UncommonPosts: 7

btw if you do some recerch on wizard101 you will find that more adults play than kids now! im an adult and love it!