Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do i think Swtor is really really that bad?

Comments

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Love your Post OP will be very very happy not to see you playing when the game comes out, have fun with pokemon and kungfu panda :)

This is a heart felt message to all who DON'T want to play a game and really feel the need to tell EVERYONE that they DON'T want to play it.

*hugs*

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by popinjay

I guess this is why they say "YMMV". Most people I've met noticed the same thing in regards to how well the combat responsiveness worked. If you're going to pick out one class and say one FEATURE of that class doesn't work... meh.

to say that one feature the cover system is meh but its the smuggler classes DEFINING feature and for it to be as poor as it is, is pretty sad. I will agree the other combat is more fuild though especially the bounty hunter

What I played:

Sith Inquisitor.

Trooper.

Jedi Warrior.

Imperial Agent.

I found NO problems with any of those classes that made me think "Sad". But being a realist, I wouldn't be suprised if one out of eight of the main classes had some type of problem.

It's also like I've never seen the cover mechanic in any other mmo used effectively or to the level that TOR has done with the Smuggler (dare I say bordering "innovation" in a MMO?) so would any reasonable person expect problems with that complicated system?

Probably, so not really all that sad imo.

• nordyanordya Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by Requiamer

we all know Bioware is more the old EA team than the Bioware team.

What's the old EA team, lol?

You mean the ones who made all those successful Madden games since 1988? That "old EA team"?

Or the "old EA team" that made the Battlefield franchise since 2002?

Or the "old EA team" that made the Sim's franchise?

Or the EA that made the "Need for Speed" franchise?

Or the EA that made the "Wing Commander" franchise?

Just not sure which "old EA team" you're referring to. Please be more specific.

I believe they are referring to Mythic Entertainment, who brought us the gem of a game called Warhammer:Online that was merged with Bioware by EA.

• tuzalovtuzalov Member Posts: 183

I guess this is why they say "YMMV". Most people I've met noticed the same thing in regards to how well the combat responsiveness worked. If you're going to pick out one class and say one FEATURE of that class doesn't work... meh.

Could of posted all the bugs in the character classes but you would be here till tusday reading a wall of words another annoyin  bug is the cooldown on alot of the skills not being clickable after said cooldown not to mention making the attack system completely reliant on constant clicking which goes against all things mmo.

Flashpoints are cool though,but hardly new WaR basicaly started that concept.

LOL I would still play this even it was the first alpha build.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

What I played:

Sith Inquisitor.

Trooper.

Jedi Warrior.

Imperial Agent.

I found NO problems with any of those classes that made me think "Sad". But being a realist, I wouldn't be suprised if one out of eight of the main classes had some type of problem.

It's also like I've never seen the cover mechanic in any other mmo used effectively or to the level that TOR has done with the Smuggler (dare I say bordering "innovation" in a MMO?) so would any reasonable person expect problems with that complicated system?

Probably, so not really all that sad imo.

tabula did the blaster combat better and in no way is smugglers cover system in any way innovative even for an MMO. But like I said before yes I tried all those classes you did as well and didn't have any major issues aside from some strange animations at times but thats expected with any MMO.  Enemy AI is still a big let down here but guess I'm just expecting too much from these games even when they have been around for over a decade doing the same things.

Originally posted by nordya

I believe they are referring to Mythic Entertainment, who brought us the gem of a game called Warhammer:Online that was merged with Bioware by EA.

I don't know what he's referring to, lol. Old EA seems pretty clear to me since EA had been around for decades.

If someone is going to go on a soapbox and say what he says from some sort of "I know what I'm talking about", I'd wager they should probably be a little more knowledgeable about the difference between Mythic's team and "old EA's team" to be taken seriously.

I don't know what he's referring to, lol. Old EA seems pretty clear to me since EA had been around for decades.

Then you would know that every online game EA has touched has failed miserbly and closed not long after the one exception that comes to mind is WaR which stayed open by the skin of it's teeth'

Originally posted by tuzalov

Could of posted all the bugs in the character classes but you would be here till tusday reading a wall of words

Agreed, since it's a beta. :)

No one says SWTOR is perfect (at least I don't) because it's just like any other mmo that is going to be in beta, released and then fixed. I'm not even sure the game has been optimized for launch yet? /shrugs

In any event, if someone played enough WoW, then MANY mmos afterwards, then tried TOR you'd immediately see the difference I'm talking about.. not just 'bugs'.

I'm talking about combat responsiveness and that 'feel' vet gamers talk about when you hit something or shoot something. There is a feedback you get from the combat that is dead-on as far as the "feeling" you get that I haven't gotten in any mmo (Rift included) since WoW.

I'm not sure you and I are talking about the same things here.

Then you would know that every online game EA has touched has failed miserbly and closed not long after the one exception that comes to mind is WaR which stayed open by the skin of it's teeth'

Which is a good thing Bioware is making this game and EA is producing it. :)

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Well other than Ultima Online that is.  EA owned Origin through the entire development process (they purchased them in 1992 and production began on UO in 1995).  So, they did "touch" the grandaddy of mmos that still remains online after 12 years and sever x-pacs later.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Well other than Ultima Online that is.  EA owned Origin through the entire development process (they purchased them in 1992 and production began on UO in 1995).  So, they did "touch" the grandaddy of mmos that still remains online after 12 years and sever x-pacs later.

Probably better to let that line of reasoning go because his argument is "Well, since EA messed up other games somehow, they'll mess up TOR too".

I've found you can never argue with that kind of logic because it simply is flawed from the beginning.

Reason is, then the reverse would be true. Just about every game Bioware made up until this point has been very successful for the most part (DA2 some people say hasn't) so by his logic, that means Bioware will AUTOMATICALLY have a hit with SWTOR.

And this is also false.

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

<Shrug> Say what you like, but when it comes down to it, SWTOR is a better game on release day than anything that has been released over the past couple of years.  Players are yearning for something new and this game has, in my mind, definitely enough of a hook to keep them interested beyond the first free month.  After that, it is more up to the devs to put out new content and features - which is anybody's guess at the moment.

If it's not your cup of tea, then leave and stop complaining.  I think we all get that not everybody loves EA/Bioware/Themeparks/WoW-clones and whatever else has been repeated ad naseum.  Go hang out with the sandbox crowd on whatever next promised heavenly turd that is sure to bring your favored gamestyle to the masses.  I've waited in that line, too, and I have been disappointed everytime.

Reason is, then the reverse would be true. Just about every game Bioware made up until this point has been very successful for the most part (DA2 some people say hasn't) so by his logic, that means Bioware will AUTOMATICALLY have a hit with SWTOR.

And this is also false.

depends what you mean by a hit. I feel this game will make its investors there money back just from the initial box sales due to the fact its bioware, star wars, and uses the very familiar MMO layout(unlike SWG). Does that mean it's a hit even if it closes doors on month 6? or month 12?

And this is also false.

depends what you mean by a hit. I feel this game will make its investors there money back just from the initial box sales due to the fact its bioware, star wars, and uses the very familiar MMO layout(unlike SWG). Does that mean it's a hit even if it closes doors on month 6? or month 12?

I have serious concerns that it may flop,personaly hope it doesn't but I think people that havent played are going to be in for such a let down that it may make them cancel,and I have been testing ToR for half a year and ALOT of the older testers have the same concerns on depth,the VO is great but I still think it ate up too much of the budget and development time.

Like I said hopefully theres enough die hard fans to keep the subs up while issues are addressed.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

I have serious concerns that it may flop,personaly hope it doesn't but I think people that havent played are going to be in for such a let down that it may make them cancel,and I have been testing ToR for half a year and ALOT of the older testers have the same concerns on depth,the VO is great but I still think it ate up too much of the budget and development time.

Like I said hopefully theres enough die hard fans to keep the subs up while issues are addressed.

i completely agree.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

thx op , this one more reason to avoid this almost certainly flop mmo

And the same thing was said by "older" testers that tested WoW and EQ2 and countless others.  I really don't put too much faith in what beta testers say.  It's not like they sit in on the staff meetings or know what is being worked on.  Mostly they just complain about one change or another that doesn't measure up to their "expert" opinion.   A lot of these beta testers believe that they are invited to test like they are some sort of consultant when all they are is just another warm body in the room.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I think many SW-fans had a different idea of a "story-driven mmo" and hence the disappointment.

People thought that "story" means that you can sort of make your own story, instead of getting Bioware's pre-tailored and fixed story forced onto your character.

Ok, everyone who played a Bioware game before may have known that they tell their own story rather than allowing the player to create his, but then there was the chance that choices made in the process would have a bigger impact on your story regarding both journey and destination. And that they would enable you to drive things a bit more into a prefered direction, which is not the case.

Originally posted by Silax

And the same thing was said by "older" testers that tested WoW and EQ2 and countless others.  I really don't put too much faith in what beta testers say.  It's not like they sit in on the staff meetings or know what is being worked on.  Mostly they just complain about one change or another that doesn't measure up to their "expert" opinion.   A lot of these beta testers believe that they are invited to test like they are some sort of consultant when all they are is just another warm body in the room.

Seriously,we find bugs we report them and give feedback on the builds your confusing CB testers with whatever that weekend thing was.

What has polarized the CB community so much is we keep giving feedback only to be told that they have no plans to address whatever concern was brought up so pretty much marganizling what we were trying to do which was/is make the best launch possible.

This wasn't one time this pretty much all the time.It was very odd indeed considering BioWares background but whatever,it is what it is.

Seriously,we find bugs we report them and give feedback on the builds your confusing CB testers with whatever that weekend thing was.

What has polarized the CB community so much is we keep giving feedback only to be told that they have no plans to address whatever concern was brought up so pretty much marganizling what we were trying to do which was/is make the best launch possible.

This wasn't one time this pretty much all the time.It was very odd indeed considering BioWares background but whatever,it is what it is.

i wasn't part of closed beta but this is one thing I have found and heard from others who closed beta tested games such as star trek online and warhammer. A lot of huge problems people had with many core gameplay mechanics but the developers for whatever reason(whether it be money or just didn't feel the same) choose to ignore the testers and we saw the end result of those games.

Originally posted by VoIgore

I think many SW-fans had a different idea of a "story-driven mmo" and hence the disappointment.

People thought that "story" means that you can sort of make your own story, instead of getting Bioware's pre-tailored and fixed story forced onto your character.

Ok, everyone who played a Bioware game before may have known that they tell their own story rather than allowing the player to create his, but then there was the chance that choices made in the process would have a bigger impact on your story regarding both journey and destination. And that they would enable you to drive things a bit more into a prefered direction, which is not the case.

very true. The game has been advertised as being able to shape your own adventure were your choices have real effect on the game. But in the big scheme of things they really don't.

Don't kid yourself.  You're nothing more than a glorified crash test dummy.  They wire your build with monitors and tackers all collecting data that is sifted through and analyzed, but don't think that they are actually asking you for your opinion on how to make a good game.  There are people who they listen to for feedback and those people get paid.  Unless you are collecting a check from Bioware, I wouldn't go waving that flag around.

After the car crashes against the wall, do you think the lab geeks pull the dummy out and ask him for his opinion on how to make a better car?

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771

Another one of these post! Is it really necessary to keep creating these same post over and over and over again?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

come on by creating these threads over and over with made up accounts and stuff they prove everyoe hates the game didnt u  know that. 

They create 100 threads with 99 made up accounts for every real negative poster .  Its they only way the negative pots will outweight the postivive threads. so they have to do it they have to.

didnt u know its there job to pick the games we love to play and enjoy. Its there job to tell us what is a good game or not and to save use from ourselves. 

We dont knw enough to pic our own games if we like tor. They have to save us they have to convert us to haters of all games too.

They cant enjoy playing an mmo so they dont want anyone else to either.

Originally posted by kalinis

come on by creating these threads over and over with made up accounts and stuff they prove everyoe hates the game didnt u  know that. 

They create 100 threads with 99 made up accounts for every real negative poster .  Its they only way the negative pots will outweight the postivive threads. so they have to do it they have to.

didnt u know its there job to pick the games we love to play and enjoy. Its there job to tell us what is a good game or not and to save use from ourselves. 

We dont knw enough to pic our own games if we like tor. They have to save us they have to convert us to haters of all games too.

They cant enjoy playing an mmo so they dont want anyone else to either.

while many do this a lot do not. Many people have genuine concerns for the game and want to express there feelings here to get some feedback and discussion. I honestly didn't really read much of the OPs post and have more or less just been exchanging comments with others just happens to be in this thread.