Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do i think Swtor is really really that bad?

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by echolynfan

"I think that's one of the strongest reason i really dislike this game, not for what he is, but for what it will never be and was supposed to be in my mind at least."

No game could ever be what you imagine it could be in your mind - you'll always be disappointed. SWTOR however is a fantastic game with huge future potential and was exactly as I thought it would be because I read from Bioware what the game would be - not from my minds eye :)

Cya at launch!

I think many people on this site would do well to read this simple post as its not the games that disappoint its the players mental expectation of said game.

@ OP Now here's a dev documentary from March 2009 and I watch it closely to see how you've created you own idea about what SWTOR will be about, you only have yourself to blame.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/video-documentary-2

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by Requiamer

Originally posted by Starpower

The smuggler does smuggle. You would know that if you actually played some of the storyline.

So you feel like a smuggler when playing? not even close you are just a dps, am I right? So what was the point of the story? was it made just to pass the time, or to put something in place?

It's a role you play.  If you want to just consider yourself a dps and skip all the lore and interaction in the game with NPCs and real players (for those who RP), then that's your choice.  No one is forcing you to even play the game. 

If you ACTUALLY played the game, you would know the smuggers or any of the other classes actually do preform thier said job titles.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

The smuggler does smuggle. You would know that if you actually played some of the storyline.

So you feel like a smuggler when playing? not even close you are just a dps, am I right? So what was the point of the story? was it made just to pass the time, or to put something in place?

I feel ike Han Solo because that's what the storyline and game gives me the feeling of.

Don't blame me because you chose to focus on combat over the story. That's entirely your own choice. The game doesn't lead you down the "I'm a dps" path. That's your own doing

Play the game as intended and follow the story. You even have some nice voice acting to help you

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

So what?  You want to see your character running around with a giant "don't look at this" sack on his back?  Seriously, Requiamer, you seem to be reaching more and more as you go here.  I am sorry if for some reason you couldn't see it, but smugglers DO smuggle goods.  It's what the whole personal story is about basically.  If for some reason YOU want to concentrate on only the combat aspects, then that is YOUR fault, not the Developers.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by Calerxes

"I think that's one of the strongest reason i really dislike this game, not for what he is, but for what it will never be and was supposed to be in my mind at least."

No game could ever be what you imagine it could be in your mind - you'll always be disappointed. SWTOR however is a fantastic game with huge future potential and was exactly as I thought it would be because I read from Bioware what the game would be - not from my minds eye :)

Cya at launch!

I think many people on this site would do well to read this simple post as its not the games that disappoint its the players mental expectation of said game.

@ OP Now here's a dev documentary from March 2009 and I watch it closely to see how you've created you own idea about what SWTOR will be about, you only have yourself to blame.

That's probably not the best example to prove your point. They have however said that they'd be doing your standard MMO mixed in with the story through voiceovers and cinematics. This documentary leaves quite a few options open that they didn't go for due to various reasons.

But I agree, that if anyone was expecting TOR to be a sandbox, they were poorly informed.

imageimage
  • RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by GMan3

So what?  You want to see your character running around with a giant "don't look at this" sack on his back?  Seriously, Requiamer, you seem to be reaching more and more as you go here.  I am sorry if for some reason you couldn't see it, but smugglers DO smuggle goods.  It's what the whole personal story is about basically.  If for some reason YOU want to concentrate on only the combat aspects, then that is YOUR fault, not the Developers.

So you really feel like a smuggler when playing a smuggler class in Swtor? interesting, might not be that bad then.

I don't want to concentrate in anything really, you are putting words in my mouth when you say i want to look at the combat aspect.

Its just that it doesn't feel like it to me at all, and its not just the smuggling aspect, that was just an example to point out, its an overall feeling. I just didn't felt at all like in a SW universe, but like in a mmo if that make any sense to anyone, and i think it does to some. For me smuggling only in the story isn't enough, you would need just a bit more of it in the game after the story to put some weight in it, i think that's what i wanted to point here. Just simple mechanisms would be enough, as it is it just doesn't feel right, its just shallow imo. The story should be supported by the game or the way around, and not feel like a patchwork made by 2 huge pieces, story and the rest.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

this game is to be played in a chilled , relaxed way, love it :D enjoy every moment of the game lol at the speed lvlrs

Glory to the Empire

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Originally posted by Calerxes

Cya at launch!

Nha You are projecting what you want it to be, not me.

As i said its not only me that expected the Story to have a greater impact on the overall game, the dev team claimed the same, and i think it was a natural expectation if you played a lot of Bioware single player games, because in those single player games the story is almost "everything". its not like the Tes games for exemple where the player have to oportunity to build their own stories, the Bioware games deliver few story you have to follow, like movies, thats how they do games right? So its not just what I, the OP poster wanted. Its me, the dev team and a bunch of other gamers, so please cut the crap already. I wanted to discuss that aspect and how people feel about it. If you want to ridiculize it, make fun of it, ignore it, you can do it, but i'll not support you here, make your own post for that.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by GMan3

So you really feel like a smuggler when playing a smuggler class in Swtor? interesting, might not be that bad then.

I don't want to concentrate in anything really, you are putting words in my mouth when you say i want to look at the combat aspect.

Its just that it doesn't feel like it to me at all, and its not just the smuggling aspect, that was just an example to point out, its an overall feeling. I just didn't felt at all like in a SW universe, but like in a mmo if that make any sense to anyone, and i think it does to some. For me smuggling only in the story isn't enough, you would need just a bit more of it in the game after the story to put some weight in it, i think that's what i wanted to point here. Just simple mechanisms would be enough, as it is it just doesn't feel right, its just shallow imo. The story should be supported by the game or the way around, and not feel like a patchwork made by 2 huge pieces, story and the rest.

Well, you were the one talking about DPS being a problem.  No wonder people ganked you on it.  As for the personal story not being enough . . . was Han Solo only smuggling things in the movies or did he do other stuff too?  I seem to remember something about General Solo, but I could be mistaken.  To me this game would be a total bust if all there was is a single story line for each class and no ability to do "cross class" types of stuff.  Plus, how far exactly did you get in the story line?  From my experience things open up after getting off the starter worlds, but it isn't until after leaving the Capital Planets that things really blow out.

Something to keep in mind too.  You are in A Star Wars Universe not THE Star Wars Universe.  As a matter of fact you are in A Star Wars Universe that exists over 3,000 years before THE Star Wars Universe that you are probably most familiar with.  There are bound to be differences in the end.  As a matter of fact, BioWare might have made a mistake by keeping a little too close to THE Star Wars Universe of the future if anything.  We'll have to see how that pans out though.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

The story should be supported by the game or the way around, and not feel like a patchwork made by 2 huge pieces, story and the rest.

and unfortunatly thats exactly how the game feels in every respect. It is fun but the two pieces need to intertwine a lot more I'm reposting a comment I just made on another thread cause it fits here

I really am hard pressed to wonder why they did not try and implement a "flag" system if you will much like there other games and fable. In a way they did since your choices have effects on how your companion reacts towards you but not much else. The issue is the only NPC's in the worlds that are really interactive and not placed statues are the quest givers. If they populated the cities npc's that had at least simpilist forms of AI they could improve upon this system. You could go to a planet and through your time questing there say you decide to kill some respected people in a certain town well now that entire town could be against you. Even guards could attack you on site(like fable and such). It would do leaps and bounds in making the world more alive and add a lot more immersion to the story and allow your actions in the dialog to make a lasting impact.

• WayshubaWayshuba Member UncommonPosts: 72

You are entitled to your opinion. My opinion, as someone who has been in SWTOR beta for four months, is that I am definately going to be migrating to SWTOR as my main MMO.

Will it be perfect at launch, no, no game ever is. But is what done better than many MMOs out their today, abosultely.

Personally, I could care less about features or other trivial things - what matters most to me is do I have FUN and enjoy my time in game. With SWTOR the answer is definately yes.

I moved over as a long-time lifer from LOTRO and, compared to the bug-ridden, content light, money grab that has become, SWTOR to me is a god send.

• klerkenklerken Member UncommonPosts: 53

Originally posted by sanosukex

The story should be supported by the game or the way around, and not feel like a patchwork made by 2 huge pieces, story and the rest.

and unfortunatly thats exactly how the game feels in every respect. It is fun but the two pieces need to intertwine a lot more I'm reposting a comment I just made on another thread cause it fits here

I really am hard pressed to wonder why they did not try and implement a "flag" system if you will much like there other games and fable. In a way they did since your choices have effects on how your companion reacts towards you but not much else. The issue is the only NPC's in the worlds that are really interactive and not placed statues are the quest givers. If they populated the cities npc's that had at least simpilist forms of AI they could improve upon this system. You could go to a planet and through your time questing there say you decide to kill some respected people in a certain town well now that entire town could be against you. Even guards could attack you on site(like fable and such). It would do leaps and bounds in making the world more alive and add a lot more immersion to the story and allow your actions in the dialog to make a lasting impact.

this would be a huge + in my book if they could pull something like that off, it just doesn't work in a MMO, entire cities would be wiped out by players killing a few respected people, unless they respawned and whats the point of it then or if they made entire cities your own personnal instance, and those two things would open up a new lists of problems

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164

So what you're looking for, is Grand Theft Speederbike or Saint's Row the Force? Yah, those would translate into an MMO really well. How about you come up with a way for an mmo to be exactly what you want it to be, start a company, create and publish it, since you've got such great ideas on what an mmo "should" be.

Originally posted by klerken

this would be a huge + in my book if they could pull something like that off, it just doesn't work in a MMO, entire cities would be wiped out by players killing a few respected people, unless they respawned and whats the point of it then or if they made entire cities your own personnal instance, and those two things would open up a new lists of problems

it wouldnt be easy but not impossible.  Think about this what happens in WOW when a horde gets into a alliance city? npc guards attack. That's really a small step and all they had to do to add some flare to your actions an expand on this concept. I this era of MMO gaming I really don't find it unreasonable for npc's to have basic AI aside from the same emote over and over and over

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

Originally posted by klerken

it wouldnt be easy but not impossible.  Think about this what happens in WOW when a horde gets into a alliance city? npc guards attack. That's really a small step and all they had to do to add some flare to your actions an expand on this concept. I this era of MMO gaming I really don't find it unreasonable for npc's to have basic AI aside from the same emote over and over and over

Hell even EQ 1 has a basic faction system.

I level'd up my Wizard on Freeport guards (much to the annoyance of the noobs who would run to guards for help) and ended up KoS there. In fact my wizard was KoS just about everywhere heh.

Basic faction systems are very old school and not hard to put into MMOs.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

we all know Bioware is more the old EA team than the Bioware team.

What's the old EA team, lol?

You mean the ones who made all those successful Madden games since 1988? That "old EA team"?

Or the "old EA team" that made the Battlefield franchise since 2002?

Or the "old EA team" that made the Sim's franchise?

Or the EA that made the "Need for Speed" franchise?

Or the EA that made the "Wing Commander" franchise?

Just not sure which "old EA team" you're referring to. Please be more specific.

Originally posted by demarc01

Hell even EQ 1 has a basic faction system.

I level'd up my Wizard on Freeport guards (much to the annoyance of the noobs who would run to guards for help) and ended up KoS there. In fact my wizard was KoS just about everywhere heh.

Basic faction systems are very old school and not hard to put into MMOs.

just feels like took a step backward in many aspects. Also I go back and think about rift when it was first released almost a year ago now. The first month or so the rifts and zone invasions were new and pretty exciting in my opinion but after few months and even less for many people this got old and tired and the rest of the game is a LOT more of the same. Unfortunatly I see a lot of that here the dialog and choices are new and exciting but everything else is still more of the same.

just feels like took a step backward in many aspects.

I think going backwards in today's mmo genre is actually a step forward in terms of making sure you get the game right, and Bioware has shown they pulled that off.

Too many new games have been promising ever-complex schemes that don't work because the acumen necessary to make what's on paper doesn't translate into finished product. Or a company claims it will "change the genre the day it ships" (Trion) and then is sneak-closing servers so no one can see.

Bioware went back to basics; gameplay and story. The one thing any vet notices is how much more crisp and responsive the combat mechanics are and reminds you of WoW in that "you click, it works" correctly. Too many games have been having this problem and it makes the game boring over time because you don't get that same feedback.

I think going backwards to lock down reliable gameplay in a time when everyone else is speeding forwards and crashing is a good idea.

• tuzalovtuzalov Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by popinjay

just feels like took a step backward in many aspects.

The one thing any vet notices is how much more crisp and responsive the combat mechanics are and reminds you of WoW in that "you click, it works" correctly.

This game is anything but crisp Smuggler cover is completely bugged to shite the AI is horrible the pathing of progectiles vs cover is bugged 1/3 of the VO still isn't in the UI is a freaking joke.

Will I play it sure I love SW's will I continue to play it that remains to be seen.

Anyone that CB tested Tabula Rasa can't help but see the glaring similarities the one thing that ToR has going for it is just how dedicated the SW fanbase is,it will at least give them some time to flesh out the crafting and get some eg content going as well as address the myriad of other issues.

Just look at STO if that had been named anything other then Star Trek it would of closed in the first 6 months.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

The one thing any vet notices is how much more crisp and responsive the combat mechanics are and reminds you of WoW in that "you click, it works" correctly. Too many games have been having this problem and it makes the game boring over time because you don't get that same feedback.

Very pleased to hear that. Something that I had not seen mentioned before and something that is often disapointing. Even more noticeable when a mouse mover / key press to cast merchant. You'd have thought developers would have worked out that you need to employ a couple of simple parlour tricks to make it appear in the client that things happen absolutely instantly.

I think going backwards in today's mmo genre is actually a step forward in terms of making sure you get the game right, and Bioware has shown they pulled that off.

Too many new games have been promising ever-complex schemes that don't work because the acumen necessary to make what's on paper doesn't translate into finished product. Or a company claims it will "change the genre the day it ships" (Trion) and then is sneak-closing servers so no one can see.

Bioware went back to basics; gameplay and story. The one thing any vet notices is how much more crisp and responsive the combat mechanics are and reminds you of WoW in that "you click, it works" correctly. Too many games have been having this problem and it makes the game boring over time because you don't get that same feedback.

I think going backwards to lock down reliable gameplay in a time when everyone else is speeding forwards and crashing is a good idea.

respect your opinion but why play a game for months and months that is nothing more than same old same old with some nice voice acting? I don't want people to get the idea I'm just bashing the game or anything but the fact for as long as these MMOs have been out why can people just accept from such a huge name and so much money put into the game nothing more than same old generic MMO with nice voice acting set in the star wars universe. Guess I expect to much.. I dunno

Originally posted by tuzalov

This game is anything but crisp Smuggler cover is completely bugged to shite the AI is horrible the pathing of progectiles vs cover is bugged 1/3 of the VO still isn't in the UI is a freaking joke.

Will I play it sure I love SW's will I continue to play it that remains to be seen.

Anyone that CB tested Tabula Rasa can't help but see the glaring similarities the one thing that ToR has going for it is just how dedicated the SW fanbase is,it will at least give them some time to flesh out the crafting and get some eg content going as well as address the myriad of other issues.

Just look at STO if that had been named anything other then Star Trek it would of closed in the first 6 months.

yea smuggler cover combat is so bad it's not even funny. Even worse is the fact enemy AI is so bad(pretty much non existent) makes the whole thing feel so cheap, not fluid and honestly not fun at all. AI in combat is something MMO's never really had much of aside from instances but when you take a system like smugglers it makes the lack of AI stick out like a HUGE sore thumb.

Originally posted by tuzalov

This game is anything but crisp Smuggler cover is completely bugged..

Anyone that CB tested Tabula Rasa...

I guess this is why they say "YMMV". Most people I've met noticed the same thing in regards to how well the combat responsiveness worked. If you're going to pick out one class and say one FEATURE of that class doesn't work... meh.

Didn't test Tabula because I could see glaring holes in that game in videos released, unlike TOR. No need to beta the game when you saw/read about it. Richard Garriott.. space ranger. Nuff' said.

Well, the GOOD news is that because STO is a strong IP.. it wasn't closed so what you seem to think is a negative is actually a plus. It allowed the game to remain open and anyone who bought a lifetime sub is probably happy because they will end up getting their money's worth out of it and then some.

Not sure you've been keeping up with the game but I played it at launch and it was pretty bad. But from everything I've seen/read, it's gotten MUCH better (hard to not go up lol) so it's actually lucky they weren't named anything else but STO.

I guess this is why they say "YMMV". Most people I've met noticed the same thing in regards to how well the combat responsiveness worked. If you're going to pick out one class and say one FEATURE of that class doesn't work... meh.

to say that one feature the cover system is meh but its the smuggler classes DEFINING feature and for it to be as poor as it is, is pretty sad. I will agree the other combat is more fuild though especially the bounty hunter

respect your opinion but why play a game for months and months that is nothing more than same old same old with some nice voice acting?

Because it's not just the same old same old with some nice voice acting perhaps?

I wonder just how far people get when they make comments like this about TOR in the beta, or what they were actually doing while playing to think it's just voice acting period.

Did you not get high enough to use companions? Did you not get high enough to use see/use your ship?

But actually, I believe most gamers really don't want the complex game anymore. After the last few years of promises from companies saying that, most players are looking for steady, reliable, fun and interesting gameplay with basic mechanics that work but a large world that draws you in. That's exactly what TOR gives most people without saying it was going to "revolutionize" the industry.