Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Like WoW? How so?

2»

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I played many character to 85 in WoW, still subbed too for some casual play here and there.  The game is still one of the better mmorpgs out there.  That being said, after playing SWTOR...I don't see the similarity either.  It feels like a KOTOR game to me but just online this time and the camera is free move which is the major difference from the single player games(should have been in those too, but that's another topic).

Some basic foundations are similar to WoW I suppose, what with PVP and battlegrounds but the combat isn't the same even though it's tab target.  Quest hubs are similar to WoW, I suppose.   UI is slightly similar, just not as flexible as WoW's.   But then, WoW is based on EQ, and AC/AC2 so...I don't know.  I think people maybe see the less realistic graphics and more cartoony look to them and judge off of that?  I don't know.   Maybe if people didn't have such a hatred for WoW they wouldn't make blank comparisons like this and think that the rest of the gaming population agrees with it.   

Really people, this WoW hatred is pointless, pathetic and offers no reasonable, rational conversation on the merits or cons of any MMORPG.  Me thinks people just like to stereotype because it's easy.

• paulolesonpauloleson Member UncommonPosts: 31

My thoughts on SWTOR based on Beta Testing.

My overall opinion is very poor. It feels like World of Warcraft, and heres how...

1) The combat system feels exactly like World of Warcraft's system minus the auto-combat attacks. Which was their pathetic way of trying to make it more "heroic". In my opinion it's the worst combat system ive played. It's extremely slugish, cooldown intensive, and well borring. If they wanted more heroic like combat they should have used a system like "Tera, Dragon Nest, Guild Wars2" etc... There's no block abilities, theres no general attack commands, and their's dedicated healers... How more lame can a "Star Wars" game get.... Seriously, I have to wait 2-3 seconds for my general combat ability to come off cooldown to swing my Lightsabre... Even though the animation is complete... I just stand there looking like a fool, unless I decide to use one of my 4 different lightning abilities that you have acuired by level 11. I just don't get how a Sith Apprecentice should have all of these abilities, and not be able to swing your bloody lightsabre when you want to.

2) The graphics are extremely cartoony and dated. This was their pathetic attempt at trying to hide the incredibly old engine this game was programmed on. They have been developing this game far too long and because of this it already feels dated.

3) The class system, this was a huge mistake on their part. Not only did they *FORCE* the "Trinity System" into this game by having Tanks, Healers, and DPS, but they even added some retarded party combat. Here's an example: Sith Inquistors can turn into Sith Assassins and have "Stealth & Backstab" while yielding a duel-bladed lightsabre. I'm sorry, but I don't see a Sith Lord being steathly. Nor do I see some random Trooper tanking a huge beast while some Jedi heals him....Oh, did I mention the class system is exactly like World of Warcraft with very similiar "Skill/Talent Trees"?? Like seriously, can we try something new for a change?

4) The combat/class system has to be the worst multiplayer experience i've ever had. Why dumb down a game by forcing players to sit there and taunt enemies while their healers heal the tank, and their dps slowly wacks at the enemy. How more out of place could this system be... This is supposed to be "STAR WARS"

5) No Open World; That's right, despite how large this game looks and feels, it's actually quite small, and quite linear. Theres no open world what so ever, and there isn't much to explore. In fact every quest you pick up has a little sprite that shows you exactly where to go. So much for being an explorer. This game is completely "Themeparked" don't let the massive 40 gigabyte download mislead you.

6) The worst yet, the quest system... Sure the cinematics are neat, but can be annoying when trying to chat with your friends online. Here's the worst part, supossedly your able to chose "3" different responses which will affect your "Morales". You will become either Good, Neutral, or Bad ie Light, Grey, or Dark. This seemed really neat at first, and the cinematics went well with it... But after discovering that it actually had no change or outcome I became extremely disheartened. Here's an example, my wife played threw the same quest line but answered oppositely and nothing changed. In other words, your answers, your responses do not change the game at all. You will have every quest available to you regardless of what path you chose etc. 

Well there you have it, it's World of Warcraft + Mass Effect with a "Star Wars" theme. It's worth the $49.99 one time payment, but certainly not worth a monthly subscription of $15.00. Also, if your looking for something different than World of Warcraft, don't bother... It feels exactly like WoW.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by musicmann

What i can't figure out about all these TOR = WOW people. Some sit and say, it's the button smashing combat. I say, if you can sit and call TOR a WOW clone with a straight face and then on the other hand not call GW2  the same thing then you're just being a fanboy of that said game and can't admit that the game of your choice is no different.

I've watch combat stuff of both of that game and all i see is the 1,1,1,2,2,1,3,11 button smashing. Oh, it's different because you can go and roll on the ground away from the action and then start the smashing again. Oh wait, it's that you can light a fire on the ground andthe  thief/wow hunter can set his arrows ablaze by shooting through it.

Even AA with it's semi/quasi sandbox setup has button smashing combat. The only mmo that has come out in the last few yrs. that doesn't have that is DC online. The reason it is different is because it was intentionally made for pc and console players.

End Game, TOR has, operations, heroic flashpoints, open world PVP, battleground PVP.

WOW has, Raids, dungeons, arena PVP, battleground PVP

GW2 has, Dungeons,  battleground PVP, ( i don't include dynamic events because you do them from day one.)

All have button smashing combat.  GW2 just like WOW is set in a high fantasy setting on one made up planet with different zones.

TOR is made up of 17 planets,with many zones, each with their own distict style and feeling. Instead of high fantasy TOR is a space opera that is unique compared to the dull and looming same old same old.

So, just by listing a few different little things, i know there is more from each game, you can get a feel for how even though thse games are similar they still are different within the mmorpg genre.

Hah I knew there would be one. Can't understand why when I read a decent TOR thread, someone always brings up GW2. The reason comparing TOR to WoW and not the same for GW2 is because that game is doing a lot more things differently than the traditional themeparks have been for years. This is off-topic so I'll make the answer brief. The example you listed above was pretty narrow but I'll use it. 

Of course you press buttons to use abilities?!?  really, but it's also about movement and placement and this has been explained to death already. From what I have seen, in TOR you pretty much play combat by standing around pressing said button combinations, and that's it.....   In GW2 there are a lot of things they are doing different and most of them are core mechanics. Nothing wrong with disliking the game, just felt it was a little (and by little i meant waaaay) out of place in the discussion. Some people have given us some really good answers on why they think TOR is being compared to WoW. I wouldn't know because I ddin't get to beta the game.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

First off I'm loving ToR to all hell so far, but it has some stuff like WoW the interface is very similar, this is not a bad thing, keys are mapped the same but this only helps if you are a WoW player moving to ToR, the Trees are familiar also not a bad thing, besides that I cant really compare, its apples and oranges, kind of like them both but I like apples more.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Rather than get mired in specific features between the two titles think of it this way.

Let's say hypothetically there are 100 core design/gameplay mechanics that MMORPG's can incorporate however since many are exclusionary (i.e if you go with classes/levels, you aren't doing skill point advancement) you can't have them all.  Also, decisions might be made to leave off features such as player housing or complicated crafting systems to save cost or because developers feel they don't appeal to a broad enough player base.

Now let's say Blizzard chose to use about 70 out of those 100 features and it gave them a unique feel (even if they were building on or using similar features used by earlier themepark games.)  They of course improved on some of these features which contributed greatly to the game's success.

Due to said success, most developers who've come after (and even some like SOE/EQ2 who came before) decided that to be successful they had to modify their games to include most (if not all of the same feature set) that WOW does, including in many cases copying the refinements Blizzard came up with w/o adding anything to them or addressing their flaws.

Most developers have chosen to focus on including the same 70 features Blizzard did, perhaps making some changes to a few and adding a few new ones of their owns (ie. SWTOR's story driven content) but unfortuately, to many players, the games play too much like their predecessors and the term WOW (or EQ, or whatever) clone term get's tossed around.

Yes, SWTOR is designed to copy/emulate its theme park predecessors and it will feel very familar to those who play it.

If you are not burned out on this model, SWTOR is going to be a terrific game, however if you were hoping for a title that used the 30 features that Blizzard didn't use, you're going to be S.... outta luck.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon