Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's Tabula Rasa all over again...

Comments

• sgtairbornesgtairborne Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by Dekarx12

Originally posted by sgtairborne

People on these forums keep coming up with the dumbest threads. Tabula Rasa? Seriously? I can play this reindeer game as well.........................

SWTOR is Auto Assault all over again...........SWTOR is Matrix Online all over again...........SWTOR is APB all over again.........SWTOR is Earth and Beyond all over again...............SWTOR is Archlord all over again...........SWTOR is SWG all over again.........OP please please please dont speak again.

Mate he does give vaild points though.. instead of been imature and telling him to get nicked, Why don't you be more productive and give him counterpoints for his claim? instead of telling him to shut up cause you'll just get flamed for been a fanboy and other things

While I dont know what getting nicked is.....it does not sound pleasent. Your right though....guess I am just sick of the back and forth around here. I dont get why people just cant like what they like and everyone becool with that.

To op...comparing TR to SWTOR is like comparing apples to oranges. But then again why do we need to compare a game to another one? Im tired...going to bed.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

People on these forums keep coming up with the dumbest threads. Tabula Rasa? Seriously? I can play this reindeer game as well.........................

SWTOR is Auto Assault all over again...........SWTOR is Matrix Online all over again...........SWTOR is APB all over again.........SWTOR is Earth and Beyond all over again...............SWTOR is Archlord all over again...........SWTOR is SWG all over again.........OP please please please dont speak again.

Mate he does give vaild points though.. instead of been imature and telling him to get nicked, Why don't you be more productive and give him counterpoints for his claim? instead of telling him to shut up cause you'll just get flamed for been a fanboy and other things

The points are valid to him,  they are not valid when taking into consideration the games in question here.  

If you really put these two up against eachother feature for feature,  theres no contest here,  SWTOR has countless times the longevity Tabula Rasa had,  has a much wider fanbase already,  has an established IP, with 2 best selling established games that were released prior,  is being developed by one of the best developers of our current gaming generation,  and  - really now,  Tabula Rasa wasn't even remotely a best seller, whereas SWTORs preorder numbers are already encouraging enough to warrant a profit for EA and Lucasarts - whereas Tabula Rasa was cut because NCsoft felt they would never make a profit on it.

Thats a completely different situation... so... SOME reviews with similar points don't matter too much... I'm sure if you wanted to look hard enough you'd see similar points across all recently released MMOs.    

They aren't SWTOR.

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

While I dont know what getting nicked is.....it does not sound pleasent. Your right though....guess I am just sick of the back and forth around here. I dont get why people just cant like what they like and everyone becool with that.

To op...comparing TR to SWTOR is like comparing apples to oranges. But then again why do we need to compare a game to another one? Im tired...going to bed.

hehe sorry Aussie term... umm its pretty much telling people to get fucked.. and yeh i agree with you.. but if people didnt have there own opinions we'd have a very slow and boring forums here :)

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by CazNeerg

thats all well in good having 8 different story lines... but with the breed of the MMO players coming through nowdays they wont wanna hang around and watch all that dialog... its all about the gear and we have WoW to thank for that... now im all for a good story.. but i can see it now and i see it in my little sister when she plays wow shes doesn't watch all the Cinamatics or cut sceens or read the quests she just presses the esc press asap... and i can see its gonna happen with TOR kids wont wanna sit around and hear all the dialog they'll just press the light ot dark sides and try and get through the content asap

Here is the thing though; vanilla WoW didn't succeed by appealing to existing MMO players.  It succeeded by being a good enough game that people who *weren't* MMO players wanted to play just because it was a good game.  They didn't care about it's genre designation.  TOR is well positioned to do the exact same thing.

yeh true but warcraft did make a good name for itself in the RTS games.. i guess time will tell then =)

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

Original Poster is just wrong. I had my first taste of beta over Thanksgiving weekend and the bottom line is whether it was a Star Wars game or not, it was a lot of fun. And that's what Tabula Rasa apparently lacked.

And episode 1 was not a horrible movie. Was it great? No but as far as Sci-fi movies go, I think it was decent.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I would say its more like Rift.

Excitement in the begining because of the dynamic rift events.

Soon after launch frustration mounts over the dam rifts and lack of end game.

Rifts get nerfed and then gets ignored by the community.

People start to play less and drift away.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

OP is WRONG plain and simple. Tabula Rasa was a god damn mess from the begginging. SWTOR is a well polished standard MMO. I am not saying SWTOR will for sure have longevity but to say it is anything like Tabula Rasa is patently untrue.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Originally posted by pierth

I don't even like TOR and it's obvious it won't have the same fate as TR. TOR has everything WoW offers (which, despite it being a perversion to the genre of MMorpgs is still the most successful in NA by far) with sleeker graphics and even more solo-ability. it is the bastard child of single player RPGs and MMOs. The players get a watered down, bland and boring version of what could be a magnificent single player RPG while Bioware/EA get a game that is much harder to pirate than a conventional single player game.

EA profits while MMO gamers get more of the same ol' BS because there will always be idiots out there that will pay for nothing more than hype and lightsabers.

Actually, I am paying for a polished, well made, fun mmorpg. I'll thank you not ot call people idiots just because your "opinion" differs from someone elses.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

TOR is in a lot better shape than TR. That does not mean that Bioware shouldn't start bettering it ASAP, there is always room for improvements and the game is far from perfect, but TOR is just better coded, and didn't revamp the system completely during development.

I don't think TOR is the second coming, it will never be as large as Wow was at it's top but I am pretty sure it will keep a respectable number of players, somewhere between 0-5 - 2M players.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by stayontarget

I would say its more like Rift.

Excitement in the begining because of the dynamic rift events.

Soon after launch frustration mounts over the dam rifts and lack of end game.

Rifts get nerfed and then gets ignored by the community.

People start to play less and drift away.

They nerfed the Rifts in Rift?  Then why is anyone still playing? That was the main thing separating the game from WoW.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

I enjoyed SWTOR beta very much, can´t wait for early launch date

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

I have to agree that TR and SWTOR are different in manys ways, but when I played beta for the first time TR flashbacks started poping into my head, probably just because of the sci-fi setting mainly. This was a great thing though as I really enjoyed TR for a bit. SWTOR will not flop, I will be super shocked if that happens.

• The_QuesterThe_Quester Member Posts: 80

Tabula Rasa failed because NCSoft pull out two seconds after launch because it didnt get the amount of people they were looking for. They didnt even give it any sort of chance. Hell, if i remember correctly they even got into a fight with Lord British over his pay. I dont think EA is going to be that bitchy about that.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

There is absolutely no comparison between Tabula Rasa and SWTOR not even close. I know it is your opinion but still it is completely flawed. tabula rasa had no end game and was missing lots of features till the day it closed down. Players kept waiting for better content support but it never came.

SWTOR is a more complete game in beta than Tabula Rasa was during its entire life time.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Nethermancer

OP is WRONG plain and simple. Tabula Rasa was a god damn mess from the begginging. SWTOR is a well polished standard MMO. I am not saying SWTOR will for sure have longevity but to say it is anything like Tabula Rasa is patently untrue.

Tabula Rasa was basically SWG.

Both had a "name" main Dev, living off past glories, that proceeded to shit the bed making their new game. Both games had big money kicked into them, and both launched as a broken POS.

AFAIK, Garriot was working with his own IP. Koster had the SW IP. Yes the SW IP that basically prints its own money, and still struck out. Think about that one.

Without the SW IP, SWG would of crashed n burnt almost as fast as TR did.

TOR wont suffer the same fate, as they will sell enough copies it wont matter what percentage of retention that there actually is.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Sweet, i loved Tabula Rasa.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by timtrack

Heh, so did I. It had the best enemy AI i've seen in an mmo.

But...I don't think the OP meant it as a favorable comparison.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Krytycal

I beta tested Tabula Rasa, it was terrible from the start. SWTOR felt nothing like it.

I rather liked the combat and magic system TR used but the rest of the game sucked. We need less generic-wow-like mmorpg combat and more stuff like tera, tabula rasa etc.

SWToR is not too bad of a game but i feel bioware failed hard on it, it could have been so much more it was a total wasted effort imo. Insted of just copy and pasting wow's mechanices, combat system hell even classes, so many of the aspects of the game have been ripped off of world of warcraft it makes me sad. In one hand I wish the game would flop hard just to show the indistry that wow clones just don't cut it anymore, on the other hand I want to pray bioware improves the game alot, with features like land control pvp, where the best gear comes from raiding, and get rid of the seperate pvp gear, its just stupid and seregates the 2 playerbases stupidly. To this day I been waiting for a game with daoc like pvp, with the skill advancement viz realm skill points, the land control and the obsurdly balanced gameplay they had on classes that were totally diff from each other. SWToR sort of failed on the class system, I see the classes all mirrors to just be a lazy ass job by bioware, though I have to admit the bounty hunter is alot more fun to play than the lame-ass generic soldier guy trooper. Skills the same, BH just looks cooler in general.

WoW is currently going downhill and personally I hope it keeps up like this, for the aformeted reaspning of showing the indistry wow-clones just do not cut it.

Personally I'd only rate swtor a 5/10 mostly due to its abysmal gameplay and copy and pasted game mechanics from wow. Sad thing is? I am so damned bored atm I am probally going to buy this game anyway. Doubt I'll stay for more than the included month though, in the 2-3 day weekend beta by level 14 or so on 2 chars ( 1 rep 1 sith) I was getting bored because every fight was the same thing, I could do it with my eyes closed.

I wish the old school mmorpgs will come back and this watered down generic casual bullshit goes the way of the dinosaurs, because damn man I wanna play a REAL mmorpg. Only 2-3 coming on the horizon that looks like it may fill this is, Tera Online, Continent of the 9th, and Phantasy Star Universe 2. Each afaik actually did their own things with their battle systems insted of just copy and pasting it from wow like lotro, rift, swtor and various others have done.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

Wtf SWTOR is Ultima Online with Light Sabers!

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I think he ment it in the way that it was hyped up to hell, came out and pretty much was a massive dissapointment on so many levels that the game went under fast due to lack of interest.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Siveria

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I think he ment it in the way that it was hyped up to hell, came out and pretty much was a massive dissapointment on so many levels that the game went under fast due to lack of interest.

There was interest but we kept on waiting for them to update the game...and it never came. I fully expect BioWare to have much better support for SWTOR. And yes, SWTOR is in much better shape for release than Tabula Rasa was for theirs, and this coming from a TR fan.

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

Tabula Rasa? Dude, if you want to hate out of boredom, then at least try to hate properly. I played the TR beta and the SWTOR beta, and from my point of view TR is not even close to the amount of fun I had with SW. In addition to that: I dont even like this whole SW thing, but since Bioware did a good job, I have still fun.

:>

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

A different game. The Force was not strong with Tabula Rasa.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

hehe sorry Aussie term... umm its pretty much telling people to get fucked.. and yeh i agree with you.. but if people didnt have there own opinions we'd have a very slow and boring forums here :)

It's also an English term for 'get arrested' (as in: "you're nicked sonny").

Given Australia's origins, it's interesting to see how the meaning has evolved; back then if you were nicked, well basically you were buggered as you were sent to the other side of the planet!

/edit

I forgot my on topic point: I beta'd TR... there's no comparison.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Originally posted by CazNeerg

This is either a troll thread or a paranoia thread.  I tested both games, they are galaxies apart.  Tabula Rasa was a half-finished mess, and that is being generous.  TOR is a complete, polished product.  It is just designed in a way that doesn't appeal to all possible audiences, and was never intended to.

Complete: Yes

Polished: No

The beta this weekend showed that while the base engine was running, there was so many bugs/content errors in there that there is no way they will have it running "polished" for release.

I gave up writing bug reports as that simpley got silly. What I remeber I noticed in the first few hours:

* Many close up shots would not render the characters corretly. (Mustaches flying and inch form teh face, a jedi councelor that jsut was not there.)

* Story animantions that just did not show. (A colapsing wall was drawn as collapsed from the start.)

* Character stuck running.

* 'Wanted' style curving shots.

* Out of sync client/server (not lag)

* Failing annimations of land speeder landings. (Some real lol moments there.)

Nothing that makes the game unplayable at all, but it sure aint polished...