Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GamePro bad opinion on SWTOR

12345679»

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

... and for the record ...

The nublets in the video might have been incoherent and trivial but I would like to point out that Gamepro gave ToR it's Best MMO of 2011 award as evidenced:  http://www.swtor.com/awards

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by returnintor

I respect the opinion of these experienced gamers. The reason they look so depressed is that the poor playing experience of what purports to be an AAA mmo is going to drag down expectations for the whole industry for at least three years.

I don't think anyone can make a claim on behalf of entire gamign industry. How about we just talk about ourselves? ;)

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

I respect the opinion of these experienced gamers.

What opinion?  They contradict themselves several times, so it's hard to even tell what their real opinions are.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by onthestick

I respect the opinion of these experienced gamers. The reason they look so depressed is that the poor playing experience of what purports to be an AAA mmo is going to drag down expectations for the whole industry for at least three years.

I don't think anyone can make a claim on behalf of entire gamign industry. How about we just talk about ourselves? ;)

Because I don't think you have the experience, authority and respect that these commentators have.

I never claimed to have any experience or authority and i don't believe you have any either to make such tall claims on behalf of entire gaming industry.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• MalaksbaneMalaksbane Member Posts: 148

Because I don't think you have the experience, authority and respect that these commentators have.

Was that sarcasm? If not, please, do the world and yourself a favor, grow up, get your own opinions and stop blindly relying on 'authorities'

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Jackdog

I am sure I am going to get slammed by some of the fanboys on this one but I canceled my pre order this morning for a lot of the reasons the people in that vid seemed to feel. Don't get me wrong it is a really fun game in many many ways but misses the mark on a lot of things also. First thing I told all my gaming freinds is that if you enjoyed Biowares single player games this is a must buy and you will love it.

I see the game as a really good single player game set in multi player mode. I don't see it as a long term game for most of us. There is too little character customization, every level 15 smuggler looks like ever other level 15 smuggler. The voice dialogue is fantastic as are the cut scenes the first couple of time, then they get old. The world graphics are gorgeous but feel sterile in an odd way.  The space game is billed as amini game to account for its faults, but have you ever seen a MMO mini game that gives char XP and coin rewards? There are other nitpicky things that annoy me about the game also but those are my major complaints,

Maybe I just have beta burnout, and I guarantee you if they ever do a space expansion that has JTL gameplay I will be buying and playing the heck out of it.  I  probably would not have canceled my pre order if my gaming friends had decided to roll on a PvP server, because the open world  PvP rocks in my opinion. My opinion is that if you liked BW's singler player games then the game is well worth the box price, but don't expect a long term game if you are a PvE only  player. It just is not there. The game is very good, but it is far from great. Although at this point in my gaming life I am not sure if any MMO will ever live up to my expectations.

Now excuse me while I put on my flame retardent suit.

No need for a suit. Enjoy whatever game you choose to follow next. I'm not much of a space game player so I really wouldn't have cared if it was in TOR at all. It's just a minigame at this point and if they expand on it, cool. If not, I could care less. There are some things that I want to them to improve on but they are so minor compared to the big picture. For me , I care about how fun the leveling process is in the game. If this had been just another boring quest grind ala WOW or like SWG where I have to join spin groups to level then I wouldn't touch this game. If the game gives me only three months entertainment then I'm fine with that.If I get more then that's icing on the cake. I'm not looking for a second life in a video game, so I'm not going to make a decision to cancel on that basis.

thanks for a reasonable reply. Only disagreement is the space game comment. If it is a mini game then why make the missions daily quests which grant  exp and credits ? Not to worry I argued the same thing on the beta boards for months. To me it seemed as if BW attmpted to straddle thee fence, they wanted people to play the "mini game" but did not want to put forth the effort and development to make it interesting enough to play on a regular basis. Gameplay factor is less than  what we had in Star Fox , but with better graphics.

Don't worry the game is easily worth the box price and a month or twos subscription, however it could have been so much more. The leveleing is fun as heck. But the replay or long term playibility is just not there.

I would have never canceled my pre order if they had just added in a few features I have come to expect in MMOs. Customizable housing, clothing dyes, voice chat would have been enough to keep me as a release player. Trust me it gets old seeing dozens of toons of your class all dressed the same and with the same companions running around the capitol world. As I said I may just have beta burnout

I miss DAoC

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

"So I've been playing SWTOR for about a week now..." ... ok, not bad.

"6 or 7 hours" ... what's that like level 5?

"a couple of hours now" ... oh FFS, what'd you do, log in?

"both of which are on the blue side, which we call the alliance side" ... Uh, what? ".. the Red Side with the Sith"

This quote summarizes the ENTIRE video:

"Cut scenes are just, well put it this way, in WoW I was so happy when they introduced the quest text.. I'm just not that interested in the storyline.."  or "you can't just bypass them" "mandatory",

I would like to say these are the EPITOME of the LACK of "experience, authority, and respect".

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

I am sure I am going to get slammed by some of the fanboys on this one but I canceled my pre order this morning for a lot of the reasons the people in that vid seemed to feel. Don't get me wrong it is a really fun game in many many ways but misses the mark on a lot of things also. First thing I told all my gaming freinds is that if you enjoyed Biowares single player games this is a must buy and you will love it.

I see the game as a really good single player game set in multi player mode. I don't see it as a long term game for most of us. There is too little character customization, every level 15 smuggler looks like ever other level 15 smuggler. The voice dialogue is fantastic as are the cut scenes the first couple of time, then they get old. The world graphics are gorgeous but feel sterile in an odd way.  The space game is billed as amini game to account for its faults, but have you ever seen a MMO mini game that gives char XP and coin rewards? There are other nitpicky things that annoy me about the game also but those are my major complaints,

Maybe I just have beta burnout, and I guarantee you if they ever do a space expansion that has JTL gameplay I will be buying and playing the heck out of it.  I  probably would not have canceled my pre order if my gaming friends had decided to roll on a PvP server, because the open world  PvP rocks in my opinion. My opinion is that if you liked BW's singler player games then the game is well worth the box price, but don't expect a long term game if you are a PvE only  player. It just is not there. The game is very good, but it is far from great. Although at this point in my gaming life I am not sure if any MMO will ever live up to my expectations.

No need for a suit. Enjoy whatever game you choose to follow next. I'm not much of a space game player so I really wouldn't have cared if it was in TOR at all. It's just a minigame at this point and if they expand on it, cool. If not, I could care less. There are some things that I want to them to improve on but they are so minor compared to the big picture. For me , I care about how fun the leveling process is in the game. If this had been just another boring quest grind ala WOW or like SWG where I have to join spin groups to level then I wouldn't touch this game. If the game gives me only three months entertainment then I'm fine with that.If I get more then that's icing on the cake. I'm not looking for a second life in a video game, so I'm not going to make a decision to cancel on that basis.

thanks for a reasonable reply. Only disagreement is the space game comment. If it is a mini game then why make the missions daily quests which grant  exp and credits ? Not to worry I argued the same thing on the beta boards for months. To me it seemed as if BW attmpted to straddle thee fence, they wanted people to play the "mini game" but did not want to put forth the effort and development to make it interesting enough to play on a regular basis. Gameplay factor is less than  what we had in Star Fox , but with better graphics.

Don't worry the game is easily worth the box price and a month or twos subscription, however it could have been so much more. The leveleing is fun as heck. But the replay or long term playibility is just not there.

I would have never canceled my pre order if they had just added in a few features I have come to expect in MMOs. Customizable housing, clothing dyes, voice chat would have been enough to keep me as a release player. Trust me it gets old seeing dozens of toons of your class all dressed the same and with the same companions running around the capitol world. As I said I may just have beta burnout

i disagree. To me the story is why it has so much replayability. The class stories are uniqe for all classes. So unlike wow where people ran zones 10 ore more times doing same stuff all the time, in tor even if u do same plaeets and do same quests over for planetary quests your class ones are completly unique

I saw way to many i wanna play all 8 classes, or i cant choose what class i wanna play now to think taht thats not a huge selling point with tor

i think this is being undervalued by to many people. I for one am one of those gonna level all 8 classes to max level. I will do the opposite ac for the mirrors so i dont really play the classes the same. 

i think people underestimate the pull of the class stories for players. More people will play multiple if not all the classes then people give this game credit for. So replayability is there as it is in any themepark as it has all the stuff themeparks do at end game. They also have the pve story on illum u can do solo

so there is alot of replayability that people just overlook 

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by kalinis

i disagree. To me the story is why it has so much replayability. The class stories are uniqe for all classes. So unlike wow where people ran zones 10 ore more times doing same stuff all the time, in tor even if u do same plaeets and do same quests over for planetary quests your class ones are completly unique

I saw way to many i wanna play all 8 classes, or i cant choose what class i wanna play now to think taht thats not a huge selling point with tor

i think this is being undervalued by to many people. I for one am one of those gonna level all 8 classes to max level. I will do the opposite ac for the mirrors so i dont really play the classes the same. 

i think people underestimate the pull of the class stories for players. More people will play multiple if not all the classes then people give this game credit for. So replayability is there as it is in any themepark as it has all the stuff themeparks do at end game. They also have the pve story on illum u can do solo

so there is alot of replayability that people just overlook 

Well you will certainly get your moneys worth if you play all 8 classes to 50. I could not play teh Imperila classes however, never been able to get into playing a evil dude since  UO where I had a super evil PK toon.

What you want to bet by the time you on your 4th iteration of "My girlfriend left me and I am too big a wimp to go look for her"  quest you are space barring your way through the non class quests. After all the class quests are maybe 10 to 15 of the game.

Like I said a lot of my issue is beta burnout, I just want to smack that sniveling NPC and tell him to find his girlfriend himself if he wants her back.  hmmm maybe I should buy it and play a imp.....

I miss DAoC

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

skipping dialogue isn't a hindrance. I do it all the time in KotOR and Jade Empire, because I have already seen it all before, but I still enjoy those games.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by Guileplayer

Gamepros prime years are gone :( i remember buying gamepro back in the 90s and early 2000s. Too bad they are shutting down in 4 days for good (literally). 

As for this TOR review they said they hate story....lol why are you playing ToR in the first place then?

Haha, yeah I remember having a subscription to them, and I loved the way they introduced their reviewers as wacky named cartoon characters.  Was a good magazine.  Ah nostalgia.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

Originally posted by SafariS

Some really funny opinions about SWTOR from the GamePro guys ... No wonder GamePro's shutting down :)

http://www.oldrepublic.net/242-gamepro-dislikes-swtor-silly-arguments-inside.html

they didn't shut down. they were absorbed by pc world. nice try though.

http://www.pcworld.com/products/software/games.html

"Thank you for your loyalty, support, and participation in the GamePro.com community. At noon on December 5, 2011, the U.S. version of GamePro online will shut down as an independent site. GamePro will become part of PCWorld.com"

And someone said all of the staff is being let go.  That's what you get for pissing off fanboys.  Seriously, apart from the British guy, none of them had terrible things to say about the game, they just didn't give it a 9.9 like some people expect everyone to.  And the character creation does look horrendous, by the way.  Compare it to Aion or GW2 (both use the same engine) or even the variety found in a FREE TO PLAY game like Perfect World, and be bored with what should be the defining beginning to any MMO.. choosing your look.

It's a valid complaint in 2011, whether people want to admit it or not.  As for the rest, as usual I won't judge a game I haven't played and they could be wrong about several thing..... but the visuals?  I can see the ugliness from a mile off.  Maybe it's not nearly a deal breaker for some people, but I want my character to look radically different from everyone else, regardless of what armor they're wearing.  I had the same problem with WoW, which, if you're to listen to rumors, are changing all the player character creation graphics in MoP.

• kevorkianjkevorkianj Member Posts: 54

"It feels like an old school RPG" *immediately pre-orders*

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Eir_S

And someone said all of the staff is being let go.  That's what you get for pissing off fanboys.  Seriously, apart from the British guy, none of them had terrible things to say about the game, they just didn't give it a 9.9 like some people expect everyone to. 

Do you have proof that they were let go because of pissing off fanbois, or is that just your own unfounded speculation?

As for the video, I didn't see any bad in their comments, it was just their opinion what they gave, nothing wrong with it in my eyes. Although the title they gave the video was inflammatory and less professional in my eyes (if they were really the ones that uploaded it to YT, that is).

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

And someone said all of the staff is being let go.  That's what you get for pissing off fanboys.  Seriously, apart from the British guy, none of them had terrible things to say about the game, they just didn't give it a 9.9 like some people expect everyone to. 

Do you have proof that they were let go because of pissing off fanbois, or is that just your own unfounded speculation?

As for the video, I didn't see any bad in their comments, it was just their opinion what they gave, nothing wrong with it in my eyes. Although the title they gave the video was inflammatory and less professional in my eyes (if they were really the ones that uploaded it to YT, that is).

It was a joke, which is why I followed it with "Seriously".  It was a subtle knock at people who claimed their opinions were bought by Blizzard, people who had as much proof as I did but to my knowledge, actually thought it was true.. you don't get fired for making one bad review (one would hope).  PCWorld probably just had plans for their own staff replacements before this video.

Anyway, if it's true that they all lost their jobs, I hope they continue on in another publication, the gaming review world needs more integrity, and less predictability.

It was a joke, which is why I followed it with "Seriously".  It was a subtle knock at people who claimed their opinions were bought by Blizzard, people who had as much proof as I did but to my knowledge, actually thought it was true.. you don't get fired for making one bad review (one would hope).  PCWorld probably just had plans for their own staff replacements before this video.

Anyway, if it's true that they all lost their jobs, I hope they continue on in another publication, the gaming review world needs more integrity, and less predictability.

Ah, ok, I see. It's hard sometimes to read the exact meaning and intention from text without the support of facial expressions, especially when there are enough people giving all kinds of radical statements while meaning it at the same time image

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Can't believe people are still going on about this.  It wasn't a review, it wasn't even a preview.  It was just a first impressions fluff piece, by people who stated right in the title that they "hated" the game - turned out they didn't even hate it though, for the most part.  Just didn't like it all that much, either, openly admitting that they barely played it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Well, you can't possibly refer to me with 'still going on', since I just visited the thread and entered one of the ongoing discussions in it image

Which I guess is what happens to this thread and a lot of others, new people keep encountering it, read bits of it and join the discussion that's happening in it image

• SNAFUdamusSNAFUdamus Member UncommonPosts: 59

Frankly they were really rifght on. It is just very boring and frankly just a RIFT or WoW with a Star Wars skin.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Well, you can't possibly refer to me with 'still going on', since I just visited the thread and entered one of the ongoing discussions in it image

Which I guess is what happens to this thread and a lot of others, new people keep encountering it, read bits of it and join the discussion that's happening in it image

Fair point, sorry :)

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.