Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GamePro bad opinion on SWTOR

Comments

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

If one is more happy killing pigs and picking aples instead of doing interesting quests from npcs with a high degree of personality... have a blast in WoW.

I heard Pandas are cool...

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

the ginger guy had a point..where are the alien races you can play..same build as the next with just diff color skins and some with spikes / tentacles but still just the same skin / build

char. creaction is a joke and the budget they had for making this game is even funnier

people are all up in arms ** they keep refering to wow blah blah blah** well..those are the same people saying that its a wow killer..its going to dominate wow..its going to take all of wows subs..   if your going to claim war like that on a title..umm you make comparisons of that title..and also sry to shock n aww every fan boie out there..90% of the reviews that are going to come out in mags. like this..say the same thing..i was reading a mmo review of this years top titles that were going to be released this year / next and they had every title lined up / listed **more like wow / not like wow** and guess what sw:tor was listed most like wow ..its because wow has become the measuring tool for mmo's because of it huge sucsess ..i know i hate it too but its the truth

say what you want about the silly pandas in wow..but every race does not look the same / same build ..i know its still "new" and theres room for improvment but with the budget they have / had..this shouldnt be an issue and imo i think they missed the buss.. but i do see in the near future with a "skip text" ..hopefully more "alien" looking races / classes ..and more wow type features cuz its what they want this title to be..if you dont belive this your just kidding yourself...i also agree that this game is leaning towards f2p ...not soon but maybe a year or so after they make some of that huge budget back..dont be suprised to see cash type shops in this soon like how wow sells stuff  to make up for the lack of players leaving after the 1st year or 1/2 year

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

So some mags get paid to give good reviews and fans don't mind.  If the suspicion is raised that one is paid to give a bad review, even without proof, oh it's on like Donkey Kong.

SWTOR is probably not going to be as good as most of the magazines rate it because there's actually been proof that some of them take bribes (hey maybe that's where all the money went).  Honesty is overrated in game reviewing.  Pander to the audience, get more readers, make more money.

They hypocrisy in this thread is funny though.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Eir_S

So some mags get paid to give good reviews and fans don't mind.  If the suspicion is raised that one is paid to give a bad review, even without proof, oh it's on like Donkey Kong.

SWTOR is probably not going to be as good as most of the magazines rate it because there's actually been proof that some of them take bribes (hey maybe that's where all the money went).  Honesty is overrated in game reviewing.  Pander to the audience, get more readers, make more money.

They hypocrisy in this thread is funny though.

Set aside personal feelings for SWTOR and just watch the "review" of gamepro. If these morons would be random youtube people they wouldnt even get 500 subscribers. It really is just that bad. As far as being paid for good or bad reviews I really dont care either way. I take ALL reviews with a grain of salt.

Originally posted by xenogias

I take ALL reviews with a grain of salt.

That's pretty much what I was getting at.  A lot of people will hit up the big sites and see high scores and then wave it in the faces of their so-called forum enemies, showing that maybe they haven't evolved beyond Barrens chat.  I don't even read reviews 99% of the time.  Why would I care that much what someone who isn't me thinks of a game?

Frankly, I didn't even know Gamepro still existed until I read they're going under.  They must have given bad reviews of too many hyped games.  lol

• ElivoElivo Member UncommonPosts: 71

Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

Originally posted by SafariS

Some really funny opinions about SWTOR from the GamePro guys ... No wonder GamePro's shutting down :)

http://www.oldrepublic.net/242-gamepro-dislikes-swtor-silly-arguments-inside.html

Good read thanks for the link.

Anyone who did not participate in the beta here is what the game really is in a nutshell.

They took the template from Dragon Age series i.e. cutscene galore and gave you a mediocre gameplay experince, that is when you actually got to play.

Bioware is all about long and drawn out cutscenes, anyone who disputes this go get experience playing some of their other titles like the Dragon Age series for one. Mass Effect 1 was beyond excellent. With Mass Effect 2 you start experiencing more long drawn out cutscenes and smaller planet maps. Actual gameplay became the exact same thing on every planet.

Now comes along SWTOR, (which I had a lot of hope for), and a very long development period. What do we have???? Another game that is basically more cutscenes with gameplay that is less that impressive. Gameplay felt like any other mmorpg and I did not have an immersive Star Wars feeling to the gameworld and characters.

The gameplay was bland and did not have me wanting to keep playing losing track of time. In reality I felt like spending 10 minutes at a time in the game then leaving with no desire to really want to come back right away and start playing again.

Some people enjoyed it and not everyone feels the same. Alot of opinions are surfacing now and most of them are negative and not just on this website. Anyone who disputes this is like the person that says we are not in a global depression. These are the same type of people who wipe their but first, then take a cr@p, there it is for you.

LOL, where are you seeing all of these "negative" opinions?!

Most of the REAL reviews of this game and most opinions of it have been extreemly positive.

If you found this game play bland, then i have no clue what to recomend for you, i guess go back to wow and tickel some pandas?

What exactly is a "REAL" review?  One that coincides with your opinion, I'm guessing.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Some very interesting facts about GamePro.

been around since 1988

only video game magazine to ever get its own line of action figures. 

http://kotaku.com/5864967/the-only-video-game-journalists-to-get-action-figures

On a side note:  http://io9.com/5865220/new-star-wars-fan-vids-2-of-the-cutest-lightsaber-duels-youve-ever-seen?autoplay

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don't think we will see a game without some at least partly negative reviews, and this wasn't that bad. 1 of the guys said he were gonna play it, another one said she probably would but that she also probably would go back to Wow after a few months based on earlier experinces.

The only truly negative was the guy they called X in the comments.

All those 4 are current Wow players for that matter.

I am still uncertain how this game will do in the long run, but people havn't really played it far enough to be sure about that. Beside that we already knew that Bioware games are not for everyone. For each Baldurs gate fan there will be a morrowind and a Diablo fan because we have different preferances with games.

I don't actually believe that the former Wow player is the most critical thing for Bioware to get, they need to get the Bioware fans into the game instead. 

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Guys...anyone who is trying to say this review was legit one is simply trolling you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKUl3NE-Qx8

One of them literally claims she has played since friends and family beta and still havent gotten a companion (lvl7 thing)...this ought to tell you something.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

I don't get why this video was responded to so dismissively. The points they've raised have been brought up and discussed feverishly for the past 5 weeks with legitiment earnest, so why's there such a knee-jerk reaction to them being disappointed with the game on those very same points?

For one, I don't think this should be called a review because it certainly isn't. They just said why some of them hate it. It's a video on subjective perspective rather than objective criticism. Maybe it was their heavy emphasis on WoW being better or something, which I don't particularly agree with but is a shared sentiment among many people, but seriously, not many things they said warrants the kind of responses this is getting.

I honestly just felt like the person who wrote that article did so just because Gamepro was talking negatively about TOR. It read, to me, like this:

"So this guy said 'this'!... You didn't like this for so and so reason? Or you don't agree with this? [insert more quotes] Are you psycho?"

"And then these people say this!? What? Huh?? How? Why? They're dumb, nevermind them."

"Review gets a 1/10 because you all spoke negatively about SWTOR and then uploaded this to youtube."

"-Jabbers on about how they should've played the WoW beta even though most, if not, all of their concerns has absolutely nothing to do with SWTOR being in it's beta stage, but of the design of the game itself, especially considering we're half a month from launch.-"

I'll grant you, that impressions/opinion video definitely favored World of Warcraft to a superfluous extent, but again, the points they raised were legitiment.

As much as you may like the story elements and voiced dialogue, not everyone is fond of them. They stated repeatedly that it's their opinion and I'm mildly in agreement that this does not do enough to seperate itself from the sea of other MMO's that have most of this game's other core features like raiding or combat and have already spent hundreds, if not, thousands of hours in.

Just as well, many people have talked about how most of the non-class quests are really boring, relative to the class quests, and are just simple fed-ex filler objectives anyway so a lot of players have been skipping them simply to cut through to the good stuff. I know I did.

A  personal opinion I shared with the one woman was that the Sith side was so much more Star Wars. Like, you got the vibe immediately and couldn't escape it. During the Jedi Knight quests, I wouldn't have been able to call it Star Wars just from looking at it. And it certainly didn't feel nearly as exciting as shooting force lightning, which is a very iconic Star Wars special. Playing the trooper was terrible, in my opinion, as well, because I just had a blaster and some grenades. It wasn't exciting, it was dull and I could've easily swapped out Star Wars for some other sci-fi title  in those first 15 levels. The first few levels of gameplay can definitely stand to be more exciting or at least lend itself to what you'll be experiencing later in the game so you have something to look forward to.

It's also been discussed many times over on this site that the character creation process is, indeed, a bit lacking. While Bioware can excuse it, saying it's a limitation of the design of the game itself, it doesn't change the fact that Cyborgs and Miraluka are just humans with minimal accessories.

That article didn't say anything at all. They failed to point out how any of the things they were saying in the video were unfoundedor a fault of the beta. It was just them mocking a video on the sole principle of them not liking the opinion's stated in it. As far as them catering their opinions to WoW's favor, I'm indifferent to it. I don't care about World of Warcraft enough to give it a meaningful thought on this post.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I hope most of you realize GamePro staff are some vets in the game when it comes to review and were well respected a good while ago. Don't know of the current state of the group but I respect their reviews for the most part.

This video was rather good and I wish more reviewers would take this route when giving their opinions on games. They brought up some good things and didn't totally say the game was trash.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    +10 on game pro. That was brave to do. Haha "GamePro SWTOR Review - 1/10 Why 1? Because they bothered to upload the damn thing on YouTube."

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by Vhaln

Anyone else find the comments a little scary?  Fanboyism is one thing, but holy hell, what is wrong with people?

edit: oops, I was referring to the youtube version.  Same video, but with youtube comments...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrsBIDJbFQc

damn you right. Check out the comments in the YouTube video. Will that be the community of SWTOR? That's a new low for a mmorpg community. That's worst than WoW and GW community combined

• routesmanroutesman Member UncommonPosts: 66

If you can't do a review of a game without mentioning WoW, you are no professional.  Don't get me wrong, you can mention WoW once or twice; but, they kept mentioning. 

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by kishe

Guys...anyone who is trying to say this review was legit one is simply trolling you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKUl3NE-Qx8

One of them literally claims she has played since friends and family beta and still havent gotten a companion (lvl7 thing)...this ought to tell you something.

LMFAO  red side, blue side?image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

Where was it proven that they are paid by Blizzard?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I am sure I am going to get slammed by some of the fanboys on this one but I canceled my pre order this morning for a lot of the reasons the people in that vid seemed to feel. Don't get me wrong it is a really fun game in many many ways but misses the mark on a lot of things also. First thing I told all my gaming freinds is that if you enjoyed Biowares single player games this is a must buy and you will love it.

I see the game as a really good single player game set in multi player mode. I don't see it as a long term game for most of us. There is too little character customization, every level 15 smuggler looks like ever other level 15 smuggler. The voice dialogue is fantastic as are the cut scenes the first couple of time, then they get old. The world graphics are gorgeous but feel sterile in an odd way.  The space game is billed as amini game to account for its faults, but have you ever seen a MMO mini game that gives char XP and coin rewards? There are other nitpicky things that annoy me about the game also but those are my major complaints,

Maybe I just have beta burnout, and I guarantee you if they ever do a space expansion that has JTL gameplay I will be buying and playing the heck out of it.  I  probably would not have canceled my pre order if my gaming friends had decided to roll on a PvP server, because the open world  PvP rocks in my opinion. My opinion is that if you liked BW's singler player games then the game is well worth the box price, but don't expect a long term game if you are a PvE only  player. It just is not there. The game is very good, but it is far from great. Although at this point in my gaming life I am not sure if any MMO will ever live up to my expectations.

Now excuse me while I put on my flame retardent suit.

I miss DAoC

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I just... it blows my mind... they don't know about the spacebar?

Listen, everyone has their opinion.  I think MOST people are taking sides on this game.  Who cares?!?!  If you want a story game, that's what your geting.  If you don't care about fluff, hit the spacebar or go play another game.

Why must every game be created to cater to EVERYONES individual preferences?  All men are NOT created equal.  

Einstein and Forrest Gump are standing on a bomb about to explode.  Who is going to get off the bomb alive?

• demarc01demarc01 Member UncommonPosts: 429

Originally posted by Ikeda

Listen, everyone has their opinion.  I think MOST people are taking sides on this game.  Who cares?!?!  If you want a story game, that's what your geting.  If you don't care about fluff, hit the spacebar or go play another game.

Why must every game be created to cater to EVERYONES individual preferences?  All men are NOT created equal.  

Einstein and Forrest Gump are standing on a bomb about to explode.  Who is going to get off the bomb alive?

Forest ... coz we all know that boy can RUN !

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by Jackdog

I am sure I am going to get slammed by some of the fanboys on this one but I canceled my pre order this morning for a lot of the reasons the people in that vid seemed to feel. Don't get me wrong it is a really fun game in many many ways but misses the mark on a lot of things also. First thing I told all my gaming freinds is that if you enjoyed Biowares single player games this is a must buy and you will love it.

I see the game as a really good single player game set in multi player mode. I don't see it as a long term game for most of us. There is too little character customization, every level 15 smuggler looks like ever other level 15 smuggler. The voice dialogue is fantastic as are the cut scenes the first couple of time, then they get old. The world graphics are gorgeous but feel sterile in an odd way.  The space game is billed as amini game to account for its faults, but have you ever seen a MMO mini game that gives char XP and coin rewards? There are other nitpicky things that annoy me about the game also but those are my major complaints,

Maybe I just have beta burnout, and I guarantee you if they ever do a space expansion that has JTL gameplay I will be buying and playing the heck out of it.  I  probably would not have canceled my pre order if my gaming friends had decided to roll on a PvP server, because the open world  PvP rocks in my opinion. My opinion is that if you liked BW's singler player games then the game is well worth the box price, but don't expect a long term game if you are a PvE only  player. It just is not there. The game is very good, but it is far from great. Although at this point in my gaming life I am not sure if any MMO will ever live up to my expectations.

Now excuse me while I put on my flame retardent suit.

No need for a suit. Enjoy whatever game you choose to follow next. I'm not much of a space game player so I really wouldn't have cared if it was in TOR at all. It's just a minigame at this point and if they expand on it, cool. If not, I could care less. There are some things that I want to them to improve on but they are so minor compared to the big picture. For me , I care about how fun the leveling process is in the game. If this had been just another boring quest grind ala WOW or like SWG where I have to join spin groups to level then I wouldn't touch this game. If the game gives me only three months entertainment then I'm fine with that.If I get more then that's icing on the cake. I'm not looking for a second life in a video game, so I'm not going to make a decision to cancel on that basis.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

PC World and it discus xbox and ps3, this must be joke right?

Then also opion about TOR should not been taken serieus right?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

I can not agree more. A game can not be taloired made to keep everyone happy. Someone some where is always goign to be unhappy. Not even one MMO coming out in 2012 can do that. So yeah players can pick sides when it comes to what they hate and like but every MMO has to go through this love and hate phase.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

This. I think some people bought into the "WOW Clone" B.S and were suprised when it wasn't. You can't play this game like WOW and expect to have fun with it. This game is for those of us who enjoy the RPG part of MMORPG  and want a fun leveling experience. This is not a game for fast grinders. You people have dozens of MMOs to choose from for that tripe.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by demarc01

Forest ... coz we all know that boy can RUN !

LOL