Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GamePro bad opinion on SWTOR

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

That's why I was going to play the beta.  I am a big fan of MMOs, but not of Star Wars or Bioware, and thought I could give a good once-over of the game, but the problem is I don't think I could be completely objective because I already know to expect a similar experience to WoW in terms of progression and combat, and even thinking about it makes me a little pale.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

This thread still going on?

This sums the "review": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKUl3NE-Qx8

Basically they're bitter about loosing their jobs so they take it out on SWTOR.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Losing control of one's character in the cut scenes is a pretty big downer in the MMO world.

I mean EQ2 had as extensive voice work in many places, but you could move around.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by jdlamson75

Last I saw, there were, what, 900k+ preorders?  Now...has anyone seen 900k+ unique reviews on all of the gaming sites, positive OR negative?  Doubtful. 

Conclusion:

Those who are going to hate, hate.

Those who are going to play pretty much ignore those who are going to hate, stay quiet, and wait for the game to come out. 

edit: was planning on going into more depth, but the pizza's here.

Well like I said few posts earlier you have 3 huge fan bases here this alone warrants at least 1 mil pre-orders no matter if the game is amazing, average, or crap. Many people have pre-ordered without ever trying the game as well. I'll say it will be months 3-6 that will really determine if this game is going to be the next big MMO or just the next AAA title to fade into the sea of forgotten MMOs

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by kishe
    This thread still going on?

Basically they're bitter about loosing their jobs so they take it out on SWTOR.

oO

They lost their jobs, lol? What?

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by jdlamson75

Conclusion: 
    Those who are going to play pretty much ignore those who are going to hate, stay quiet, and wait for the game to come out. 

edit: was planning on going into more depth, but the pizza's here.

While it is a tragedy so many people pre-order games and ignore the "haters", what is your edit about?
  • SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by SafariS

Some really funny opinions about SWTOR from the GamePro guys ... No wonder GamePro's shutting down :)

http://www.oldrepublic.net/242-gamepro-dislikes-swtor-silly-arguments-inside.html

LOL!

WoW Players rejecting SW:TOR...man ... ... that would be the irony.

Too bad they did not make it to appeal to the rest of us. But, you know in a way i understand them, I personally liked the Voice and Graphics, but did not like the gameplay (which is same old same old), and maybe that is what did not appeal to them trullly. Anyways, have fun who ever if going to play it.

Cheers!

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • Turkish4676Turkish4676 Member Posts: 87

Well of the four people at GAMEPRO who were in the video, Zack Galifinakas was the only one who gave legitimate pro con talk to the effort. Margaret Cho does not look like she enjoys anything. Outback Mountain was the most whiney person I had ever heard in my life and only played like 5 hours. Tom Petty should just stick to music because apparently in video games he has nothing musical to say. They are called personalities people. You must have one if you are to also have a valid opinion.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

GamePro isn't exactly the respected publication it once was.

I'd highly recommend taking anything coming from there corner with a grain of salt.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

I watched the video. They were honest in their opinions and I can respect that. Either they loved it or hated it, they had some good points. I don't think that star wars fans appreciate honest opinions tinged with negative feelings towards star wars related merchandise.

A closing website doesn´t have interests in commercials, that´s the worst thing here.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

The same guy who complained about having to read mission text and wanting to skip the cutscenes later complains he did not feel like he was a part of the story.  No crap buddy, you cant just run around and level, skipping all the story and then wonder why you dont feel a part of the story.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Talonsin

The same guy who complained about having to read mission text and wanting to skip the cutscenes later complains he did not feel like he was a part of the story.  No crap buddy, you cant just run around and level, skipping all the story and then wonder why you dont feel a part of the story.

Or maybe it could be because the cutscenes and story is watered down when you also make all the mundaigne quests have their own cutscenes. There is such a thing as to much of a good thing and I get the feeling this applies to TOR. When even a simple task will have a long drawn out cutscene, it can get old quick. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    I couldn't even make it through the video. I hope the British guy stays the hell away from this game.
  • EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

People identify themselves with the games they like, music they like and so on.

Whenever someone bash their music, their game or whatever else, people will feel as if that person is their enemy.

EVERY swtor fanboy will bash GamePro's review. They will try to find things in the review that would degrade the reviewers, they will call them unprofessional, incompetent, ignorant and so on.

But if same people would give the praising review, all the fanboys would say how professional, clever and cool those reviewers are.

That's why 99% of comments are worthless.

I respect GamePro review. They just honestly said what they think and how they feel about the game.

Originally posted by EverSkelly
    People identify themselves with the games they like, music they like and so on.
    Whenever someone bash their music, their game or whatever else, people will feel as if that person is their enemy.
    EVERY swtor fanboy will bash GamePro's review. They will try to find things in the review that would degrade the reviewers, they will call them unprofessional, incompetent, ignorant and so on.
    But if same people would give the praising review, all the fanboys would say how professional, clever and cool those reviewers are.
    That's why 99% of comments are worthless.
    I respect GamePro review. They just honestly said what they think and how they feel about the game.

It is not "fanboys" as you say. Some pople have fun with ToR, some people don´t.
    I guess that the biggest heat comes from owners of already made guild sites or linked fansites. Or people who talk to each other how wonderful game X is going to be...well ok, this would be "fans".

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Guys they said those things because they where paid off by Blizzard, the cat is out the bag, there was never a game that got a 1 out of 10 EVER in the history of Gamepro but Swtor did?  That is clear proof that it was a pay off job, not only that Gamepro gave Swtor awards 3 years in a roll when they where in business, then all of the sudden when they go out of business they give the lowest rating ever in Gamepro history to Swtor lol, this was a smare tactic by Blizzard and they took the money seeing as they needed it and Blizzard thinking they could sway people into beliving them because of Gamepros years of service.

Use you logic people it's clear as day, even if you HATE Swtor there is no way one could give the game a 1 of 10 score without being payed off, allthough Swtor isn't perfect it's FARRRRRRRRRRRRRR from a score of 1.

Originally posted by Warjin
    Guys they said those things because they where paid off by Blizzard, the cat is out the bag, there was never a game that got a 1 out of 10 EVER in the history of Gamepro but Swtor did?  That is clear proof that it was a pay off job, not only that Gamepro gave Swtor awards 3 years in a roll when they where in business, then all of the sudden when they go out of business they give the lowest rating ever in Gamepro history to Swtor lol, this was a smare tactic by Blizzard and they took the money seeing as they needed it and Blizzard thinking they could sway people into beliving them because of Gamepros years of service.
    Use you logic people it's clear as day, even if you HATE Swtor there is no way one could give the game a 1 of 10 score without being payed off, allthough Swtor isn't perfect it's FARRRRRRRRRRRRRR from a score of 1.

1/10? I cannot find the (p)review, but the video review sure did´n sound like 1/10.

Originally posted by Herodes

Originally posted by Warjin

1/10? I cannot find the (p)review, but the video review sure did´n sound like 1/10.

The Op's link talks about the 1 or 10 review, but yeah they had the balls to give swtor a 1 of 10 lol no way in hell it's a 1 of 10 even if you flat out hate the game noone in there right mind can give swtor a score like that, this was a pay off for sure and i'm 100% sure it was Blizzard.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by Xzen

Originally posted by SuperXero89

At the beginning of the video, didn't one of those chicks admit that she spent like 13 hours in the game and only got to around level 13?  

One would think she would have been able to see much more of the game given that timespan.

one of the guys said he only spent a couple of hours in game.

Obviously, if someone doesn't enjoy a game they should continue playing it to please you. What would be an acceptable amount of hours to play a game one doesn't like?

Originally posted by Golelorn

Originally posted by Xzen

Originally posted by SuperXero89

At the beginning of the video, didn't one of those chicks admit that she spent like 13 hours in the game and only got to around level 13?  

One would think she would have been able to see much more of the game given that timespan.

one of the guys said he only spent a couple of hours in game.

Obviously, if someone doesn't enjoy a game they should continue playing it to please you. What would be an acceptable amount of hours to play a game one doesn't like?

It's there JOB, or was, if you call yourself a game tester and you want to give a non bias review, a professional would give that game the time to give that non bias review, this was a major pay off, Gamepro has NEVER gave anygame over the last 20 years a review of 1 of 10, this was a clear smear tactic simple and plain, the only ones that would have the money, ball and motive to do such a thing is Blizzard, they have the most to lose, they have the biggest overhead and many investers relying on them to make profits, what we see here is a Blizzard smare tactic to help maintain MMO superiority or face down sizing due to lack of funding.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Or maybe it could be because the cutscenes and story is watered down when you also make all the mundaigne quests have their own cutscenes. There is such a thing as to much of a good thing and I get the feeling this applies to TOR. When even a simple task will have a long drawn out cutscene, it can get old quick. 

Didn't get old in KOTOR1/2, DA:O, DA2, ME1/2. To me atleast. 

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

No hate for the reviewers, though that was the most lolsy MMO preview I've ever seen, especially with the rampant inconsistenceis.. but that's neither here nor there.

It's like everyone keeps saying: Why bother with a story-based game if you hate story? Too many people trying to jump WoW's ship find that SWTOR is - OH MY GOODNESS! - different than their beloved warcraft. It actually tries to push a story, and attempts to get you involved in whatever is going on. It's easy to see why people come away with bad impressions with they go in not knowing what to expect.

As the english reviewer said: "Just tell me what to do"

And that isn't the type of attitude you should have when attemtping to try out SWTOR. If you're in it for the rush to glory, you're pretty much missing the point of the whole experience.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Didn't get old in KOTOR1/2, DA:O, DA2, ME1/2. To me atleast. 

No it didn't. But that game wasn't a themepark MMO game where a large majority of your experience comes from doing the mundane quests I speak of. It was a single player game so they didnt need to keep you playing as many hours as a MMO will. When a majority is quests and those quests will each have a cutscene... well you get the picture and if not to each his own. From watching videos I see that while I love engrossing myself in a games lore, the cutscenes would get old fast and keep me from enjoying the game. Constanlty engaging in meaningless conversation just isn't what I want to be spending a good chunk of my time doing. Opinions will vary.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Sigh..

Seriously the game is grindy? Is that what she said? And still comparing it to WoW!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!