Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GamePro bad opinion on SWTOR

SafariSSafariS Member UncommonPosts: 59

Some really funny opinions about SWTOR from the GamePro guys ... No wonder GamePro's shutting down :)

http://www.oldrepublic.net/242-gamepro-dislikes-swtor-silly-arguments-inside.html

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Someone give those people some anti-depressants! If i closed my eyes during the video i would have thought they were moody teenagers, apart from the Asian chick.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Ugh I only lasted about 2:30. Objectivity can they get some? SWTOR is not for me (I like sandbox games mostly) but I still gave it highmarks because it deserves them.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

They are all obsessed with WoW.  I've made it to about 3 minutes before being done.  I dont care if you love or hate the game, find something else to compare it to!

Also, they played less than 20 hours each, hardly the amount of time needed to fully get the game.  It also seemed as though they didnt spend any time in the options menu to figure out that they can turn off cutscenes.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

At the beginning of the video, didn't one of those chicks admit that she spent like 13 hours in the game and only got to around level 13?  

One would think she would have been able to see much more of the game given that timespan.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

At the beginning of the video, didn't one of those chicks admit that she spent like 13 hours in the game and only got to around level 13?  

One would think she would have been able to see much more of the game given that timespan.

one of the guys said he only spent a couple of hours in game.

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

Gamepro...that renowned games website that everyone goes to...

The one I'd never heard of. Honestly, who are these guys? Other than WoW fans of course.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Was that a chick?

Originally posted by holifeet

Gamepro...that renowned games website that everyone goes to...

The one I'd never heard of. Honestly, who are these guys? Other than WoW fans of course.

Well in the USA GamePro was a magazine that could be found in pretty much every game store grocery store and book store you went into.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Why are we even discuaaing this?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The company advertising with the largest banner on the website...what company does that advertising relate to?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I made it to about the 1:20 mark where the guy is talking about not liking story; he just wants to be told what to do and where to go. Sorry, buddy, but when the devs tout story as the number one thing, you are going to be disappointed when you have to put up with said story.

Of course there was the other guy who claimed to have played a couple of hours, yet he had tried out 3 different classes. How much do you suppose he experienced in any one of those? Come back after 40 or 50 and I'll listen to why you don't like the game.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

The asian girl looks and behaves like a human. But the others... they are zombies right ? At least they speak and look like zombies.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

GamePro: Sponsored by Blizzard.

Originally posted by UsualSuspect

GamePro: Sponsored by Blizzard.

I think that's about as correct as it gets.

Looking at their website, the best thing I could find about Gamepro was Talia. image

I generally find gaming sites or mags that report cross platform to be middle of the road, meh or just WoW fans.

• MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239

One of the reviewers said that she has been testing since the "Friends and Family" beta started but later in the article she says that she has not been able to experience the companions yet.

It would seem that someone who has been testing the game since last August or longer would have gottten to something that happens within the first few hours of the game.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

Originally posted by SafariS

Some really funny opinions about SWTOR from the GamePro guys ... No wonder GamePro's shutting down :)

http://www.oldrepublic.net/242-gamepro-dislikes-swtor-silly-arguments-inside.html

Good read thanks for the link.

Anyone who did not participate in the beta here is what the game really is in a nutshell.

They took the template from Dragon Age series i.e. cutscene galore and gave you a mediocre gameplay experince, that is when you actually got to play.

Bioware is all about long and drawn out cutscenes, anyone who disputes this go get experience playing some of their other titles like the Dragon Age series for one. Mass Effect 1 was beyond excellent. With Mass Effect 2 you start experiencing more long drawn out cutscenes and smaller planet maps. Actual gameplay became the exact same thing on every planet.

Now comes along SWTOR, (which I had a lot of hope for), and a very long development period. What do we have???? Another game that is basically more cutscenes with gameplay that is less that impressive. Gameplay felt like any other mmorpg and I did not have an immersive Star Wars feeling to the gameworld and characters.

The gameplay was bland and did not have me wanting to keep playing losing track of time. In reality I felt like spending 10 minutes at a time in the game then leaving with no desire to really want to come back right away and start playing again.

Some people enjoyed it and not everyone feels the same. Alot of opinions are surfacing now and most of them are negative and not just on this website. Anyone who disputes this is like the person that says we are not in a global depression. These are the same type of people who wipe their but first, then take a cr@p, there it is for you.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

Some people enjoyed it and not everyone feels the same. Alot of opinions are surfacing now and most of them are negative and not just on this website. Anyone who disputes this is like the person that says we are not in a global depression. These are the same type of people who wipe their but first, then take a cr@p, there it is for you.

You are wrong ,  most of them are not negative. I'm going to make the wild claim that Mmorpg.com has the largest community of Swtor haters ... and yet all the polls associated with the game that have been placed on these very forums are interestingly positive. They aren't just positive ... they are overwhelmingly positive.

Anyone who did not participate in the beta here is what the game really is in a nutshell.

They took the template from Dragon Age series i.e. cutscene galore and gave you a mediocre gameplay experince, that is when you actually got to play.

Bioware is all about long and drawn out cutscenes, anyone who disputes this go get experience playing some of their other titles like the Dragon Age series for one. Mass Effect 1 was beyond excellent. With Mass Effect 2 you start experiencing more long drawn out cutscenes and smaller planet maps. Actual gameplay became the exact same thing on every planet.

Now comes along SWTOR, (which I had a lot of hope for), and a very long development period. What do we have???? Another game that is basically more cutscenes with gameplay that is less that impressive. Gameplay felt like any other mmorpg and I did not have an immersive Star Wars feeling to the gameworld and characters.

The gameplay was bland and did not have me wanting to keep playing losing track of time. In reality I felt like spending 10 minutes at a time in the game then leaving with no desire to really want to come back right away and start playing again.

And that's official is it? Because when you post all this stuff after saying "for anyone that did not participate in the beta this is the game in a nutshell" you're suggesting nothing else matters...that's final. This is the god-given truth, like it or loathe it.

How about "this is my opinion of SWTOR", or "this is what I think TOR boils down to"?

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Redemp

You are wrong ,  most of them are not negative. I'm going to make the wild claim that Mmorpg.com has the largest community of Swtor haters ... and yet all the polls associated with the game that have been placed on these very forums are interestingly positive. They aren't just positive ... they are overwhelmingly positive.

Yes, unfortunately, this has become the new "300 million dollars' claim: that the majority of those who played beta have negative opinions about it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• littlemonkeylittlemonkey Member UncommonPosts: 61

Ugh. GamePro. Some things never change. Sloppy, sloppy journalism.

Just for fun...

For three of the four critics the total hours played is at most 24. One as little as 2 hours, one 6 or 7 hours , and one 15.

My favorite line comes at 5:48. "What I like about it the most and I haven't experienced this..."

Or how about at 7:42 from the guy who's played a total of 6 or 7 hours. "So, I'm kinda waiting to see what other people find out."

Wow. Really? That's some hard core investigative journalism.

littlemonkey has not played SWTOR so has no opinion on how good or bad it may be.

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Yes, unfortunately, this has become the new "300 million dollars' claim: that the majority of those who played beta have negative opinions about it.

Is it merely the last battle cry of those who don't want WoW to be back down with the masses as opposed to way out in front?

They're sitting in private cybercafes dicussing how best to sabotage the newcomer. "How do we make people think SWTOR is rubbish, Fred?" "We just write a load of crap on a forum somewhere and subvert them like a jedi, Bob." Boy, Fred, you're good."

Originally posted by holifeet

And that's official is it? Because when you post all this stuff after saying "for anyone that did not participate in the beta this is the game in a nutshell" you're suggesting nothing else matters...that's final. This is the god-given truth, like it or loathe it.

How about "this is my opinion of SWTOR", or "this is what I think TOR boils down to"?

Pretty simple really...when I write you read and LEARN. Those that have learned from me understand. Those that debate it advice again.....cr@p first then wipe.

That made slightly less sense than your original post. What you're saying, in a nutshell, is that I must listen to you and not play SWTOR? Yeah, okay. I'll cancel my preorder now.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Pretty simple really...when I write you read and LEARN. Those that have learned from me understand. Those that debate it advice again.....cr@p first then wipe.

No one actually learns from your opinion though. To learn is to pursue and absorb knowledge, hearsay doesn't really account for much.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

"I hate the cutscenes. They are so long. They are so boring. They break up the flow. Waaaa."

L2Spacebar

All die, so die well.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Only suprise there was when they said you couldn't skip the cutscenes, not sure how true this is.  But without that possibility makes me wonder how many people will leave after their first free month