Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: 10 Reasons To Play SWTOR Part 1

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

for me only reason for play this mmo crap is sound of light saber

seeya in game

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369

Watched video, wasted 5mins and found 0 reasons to play it.

• sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200

double post, sorry

• sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Aeolron

The graphics are good, running at ultra in the beta, no issues with the graphics at all.

How u manage to turn on ultra settings if graphics settings were locked on low detail textures for beta testing (at least at stress weekend)?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • chopgrchopgr Member Posts: 179

Ill be honest with you Pocket.

I'd be interested in the video if it was made entirelly about you on a bikini outfit dancing like a Twi'Lek.

No offence!

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
    cried out
    And under the ashes of infinity,
    Hope, scarred and bleeding,
    breathed its last."

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    The video was good, hats off ta ya pocket good ten reasons for sure! One of mine reasons also is the crafting, in pvp or in a full flashpoint group you can send out your guys to gather resources for you or craft cool items, always something to do. The space combat is fun, like a arcade mini game, completely ok with that concept.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I lol'ed when I saw a Sith using one of the Jawa to make a field goal, does that count? It supports your cute = giggle factor thing.

FFA PvP is great for cage matching like this. Left global it just makes the game a griefers paradise.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

No negativity on mmorpg?! Blasphemy! Madness!

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Holy horrible graphics Batman!

And something went wrong with making this video, everything is blurry even on 1080.

And why do we need another article about Star Wars, it's a mediocre game, stop hyping it.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by thekid1

And something went wrong with making this video, everything is blurry even on 1080.

And why do we need another article about Star Wars, it's a mediocre game, stop hyping it.

You meant to say "in your opinion" I am sure. Many actually think the game is superior. Look at the polls on it. I for one think it is a great game and I have played well into the 20s in level.

Go and play whatever sandboxie thing you want to play and have fun. Why post a completely nonconstructive statement in a forum for a game you are clearly not that interested in.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Niteynight

why does everybody pick on pokket? I'd marry her

Cuz they wanna be a Pickpokket!  image

See what I did there?  Pick... Pokket?  Like... hmmm... tough room...

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Bah graphics are the last thing you worry about with a MMO. gameplay is always the most important concern. reminds me of people bitching about old counter-strike and wanting more high poly models and a new x-gen engine. then when CS:S landed they bitched about game play not being the same as old CS.

It happens allot now with rating games just on video alone. funny but strange all at the same time. look at WOW players they still use old PCs to play. as a matter of fact blizzard has forsaken massive engine updates due to so many low end PCs running the thing.

I had a ton of fun playing the beta. it will be a huge hit. but thats my personal opinion also. i don't try to force it on people like many naysayers do here and on TOR forums.

It will be a blast and a huge hit.

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

Originally posted by thekid1

Maybe it's the MMO that's creating the most traffic for the site and it is if you look at the numbers on the front page. 

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

So much hate............Dark Force is strong........Sith they all become.....

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Pockkets eyeshadow matches her shirt AND hair...thats some serious accessorization.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by Mortemia

It's just damn nice change compared to the mediocre scum the mmorpgs nowadays are. 

Huh?  There are about at least a dozen better MMO's out there that I know of, even SWG was 10 times better if you need a Star Wars theme.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

pokket already explained why she wont. One she is freelance and does this stuff on her own. She intends to play tor s why would she make a video of why not to play tor?

If u rent gonna read pokkets responses why bother posting shit liek why dont u do this and that 100 times peoplel 

She already answered your question so live with it or dont but stop askign the same stupid question thats been anaswerd already.

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by Mortemia

It's just damn nice change compared to the mediocre scum the mmorpgs nowadays are. 

Huh?  There are about at least a dozen better MMO's out there that I know of, even SWG was 10 times better if you need a Star Wars theme.

OMG! How is it possible? Such a good game shutting down?

• dpcollier128dpcollier128 Member Posts: 38

Lol "swetter" :D

Never heard it said that way.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by Royalkin

The Old Republic is not an MMORPG, and it certainly isn't an MMO. It is what I always thought it would be, a single player experience with co-operative elements scattered around. If this is what I have to look forward to as the future of the genre, then I'm done. This bastardization heralds the death of the MMORPG genre, and it's obviously clear both developers and players have forgotten what that acronymn really means.

Actually, it's the very first MMORPG.  All we've had before this are MMOs.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

anyone else tired of the not an mmo lie. I know i am get a new line people. U are like the comic who got one line to go mass market who cant let it go even when he bombs on stage. 

Its just old now . This game is every bit an mmo but every definition ive ever come across. 

Just because its solo freindly doesnt make it not an mmo. EVery mmo coming out from wow till now is solo freindly thanks to wow. 

Forced grouping is no longer a part of the mmo genre and thank god for that. 

I love to group but i dont wanna have to group to move on only to find i cant find that group. 

Thsi game has everything in it taht u need to be an mmo. 

Persistant world , check,  open worlds with 1000s of players playing at once, chceck,  those seem to be the 2 biggies i find on every gaming site i go on . At least from teh writers. 

Then u take into account player economy, check although how much players contribute to gear at max level will be interesting. 

that said crafted gear from 1-50 will be in demand as it will give u diffrent looks and some of the best gear in game. that and some crafted sills require mats from more then 1 of the gatehring, mission skills so thats another way to make money.

Huge public hubs players can gather and roleplay or whatever they choose check. There are cantinas on dromund kaas and fleet and coruscant and im hoping every world after u get off starter worlds. 

Im not sure i never quested past dromund kass but they have places for all that stuff to go on. 

The one diffrence is tor is the first game to really use the rpg elements  in its mmo. Teh chocies u make do matter to your character at least. 

Im so tired fo the not an mmo crap 

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Ai dios mio, que linda. I love the hair and the make-up.

The game is actuallty quite refreshing. It's no surprise that there will be your typical burnt out themeparker. Try taking a break from MMO's, then come back, you might have a new take on ToR.

I've been playing EVE for the past 2 years and I'm personally looking forward to ToR because I'm no longer burnt out on themepark games.

As someone that has never EVER enjoyed questing, I actually found the quests in ToR to be fun and meaningful. I was actually quite surprised - And that's in beta where I simply don't feel any attachment to my character.

One of the reasons better be sheathing and unsheathing your lightsaber. So fun :)

Oh and this whole "omg game for average people, it's singleplayer blah blah" really, get over yourself. Stop playing video games for a few months, and when you return, you'll realize you've shed off some of this undeserved false sense of superiority which keeps you from being able to enjoy a video game.

• Mud_MonsterMud_Monster Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by precious328

Star Wars & Lightsabers, IMO, are the sole reasons why this game has as much hype as it does. If you take away Star Wars, this game would most likely be considered another linear WoW-clone.

If you take away Star Wars, what would it be replaced with?  Mass Effect?  Even then, I think the game would still be very popular/hyped.  Yes, Star Wars is a big draw for this game, but there are a lot of Bioware RPG fans hyping it as well.  And don't say replacing it with Mass Effect is not a fair conclusion if Star Wars was not the IP used.  Obviously, Bioware is going to use one of their existing IPs for their first MMO.  Same as Blizzard did.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Bleh. And for every reason I can find to play the game, I can find ten not to.

1) Slow, DULL combat. Look, not trying to be a SW fanboy, but if you hit someone with a lightsaber, they are DEAD. Or at least missing body parts. Perhaps you noticed in her video she spent like a minute wailing on a jawa, a bloody JAWA, and his health bar didn't move. All of the other fights her Jedi had were very similar.

2) Back to dull combat. Aside from the Mass Effect-like cover system, there's nothing original or interesting about the combat mechanics. Noting in the combat rescource mechanics, nothing in the skill rotation mechanics, nothing. And don't vaunt the "No auto attack" to me. The old argument that auto-attack makes a game easy by just aargeting some enemy and walking away stopped being relevant before WoW was made, since all games with AA are balanced towards special attacks anyway. All removing AA has done it made it so that I'm constantly spamming the same couple of skills over and over. And thanks to TOR's cooldown times, not even that quickly. Adding to the slow combat problem above.

3) Stiff animations. I can't stress this enough. LIghtsaber fights are about the best looking combat in the game. And they're mediocre at best. Try playing a shooter class, like the smuggler. Stand up, raise pistol like a robot. Pew-pew. The firing animation doesn't even have a real sense of recoil. It has no..oomph. It doesn't feel like I did anything cool. I stood there, some light came out of my gun, the enemy's health bar nudged a bit. Huzzah!

4) Bright but bland visuals. I'm glad ToR is making the game friendly to weaker systems. WoW did it, and that was a smart move. I think my Android phone could play wow if it had the storage capacity. But that also means that, much like wow, the art tends to be very blocky, and textuires lack any real detail. It's all very bright and colorful, but lacks any real breath-taking, jaw-dropping, "That looks so cool!"-ness.

5) Race-locked classes. Ugh. Just, UGH. If I want to make a Chiss Jedi consular, goshdarnit, I should be able to. This was a cheap lazy move made to reduce the amount of work the animation team had to do. Locking races and classes means you don't need to create a animation set for every possible combo. It's just shortcutting.

6) Lack of character customization. With only a handful of races (once again, restricted by faction/class), three body sets, and only a handful of facial/hair designs (many copy-pasted between races), there's no freedom of customization. I'm not asking for, say...CoH level of alteration. But more than what we have would be nice.

7) Two factions; faction lock. Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh! I blame wow for this one. Really I do. I get that it sets up rivalry between teh factions and allows for deeper pvp play...but I should be able to swap factions, play the field, do whatever! SW is one of the most diverse, detailed, expansive IPs in gaming history. And yet I'm stuck with one side and can't change no matter how I want my character to be.

8) BiPolar "moral choice" system. Yeah, you heard me. I know you were about to respond to point 7 with "But there's a moral choice system!" Yay, light and dark side points. Here's the thing, and many, MANY game critics and reviewers nail this better than I will. Why in the heck is it most moral choice systems force you to be either a saint or satan? There's never a middle ground. I appluad games like Skyrim or Dragon Age where you could pick and choose what you did not on the basis of how many points it would earn you, but whether it was the choice you wanted to make.

9) Morality as currency. Putting a points system on it makes you basically HAVE to always choose light or dark, to maximize your points and get those cool rewards. Yes the argument exists that I could just not bother, or do whatever I want and ignore teh points, and thus not get the rewards...but why should I be punished for playing my character the way I feel is right? Isn't the idea of moral choice that your actions have consequences? That they reflect who you (or your character) is as a person? Morality as currency is just dumb. It cheapens the entire thing.

10) Branching class design. Of all things to take off the Asian MMO circuit...why this? I spend x levels as a ranged DPS with a certain playstyle that I don't even like, just so that at X level I can change classes to the playstyle I do like? Or maybe I have to change over to a healer for y MORE levels, so that when I finally get to the class style I want at tier 3, I've spent 3/4ths of my levelling time playing classes I don't like. How is that a good idea?