Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your thoughts after playing the BETA? (Poll)

124»

Comments

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Kalfer

Something that greatly increased my enjoyment: as I went through on my Jedi Knight I noticed that I took all the choices that would give me alignment. So on my Jedi Knight I decided to be evil.. and a big jerk, to get as many dark side points as possible. On the conversation wheel you can see what is dark and what is light. After a while I stopped paying attention to what I actually wanted to say, because it became points hunting.

When I played Imperial Agent afterwards, I disabled this indication in the options. Suddenly I didn't know what was light side and what was dark side. Most of the early choices have option 1 as light and 3 as dark, but sometimes further into a conversation light and dark switches places, and this increased my enjoyment and engagement in the story greatly.

I suggest everyone to disable this if they want to care more about the story. If you are worried about becoming a gray character remember that you can redo flashpoints and do crew skills related things to get infinity points of whatever alignment you want/need. 

It's also my hope that BW will create gear for neutral gray alignment characters. 

I actually like gear as a shell cocept that Bioware has implemented. You can continue to use that really cool gear later on by upgrading.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

Its a Star Wars MMO  10/10!!

- 1  Not original Trilogy.

- 1 Not a Dynamic Open World

- 1 Space Simulator

for a 7/10.

I'll be there but I will demand more of thier development.

• Dave3216Dave3216 Member Posts: 133

7/10 alot better than what i thought it would be. Lost points for me when i saw the trooper and BH are mirror's they were the only 2 classes i wanted to play.

Story is fun *SPOILER ALERT* as BH i really felt like i wanted to kill Talos Blood in front of his kids at christmas time if  i ever caught up with him. Started to get on my nerves he did. Haven't felt like that in an mmo for a long time.

Solid game but plenty to tweak and improve could be a classic, if they work on it.

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

Critic style score: 7.5

True to poll score: 6.0

I think if you're into standard single player RPG's, you're probably wondering how anyone could NOT love this game!

If you're into action/adventure games, your eyes are probably bleeding from all the cutscenes, and you're left wondering where the action is?

Bioware got all of the RPG elements right with SWTOR, and the game is dripping with story. It was also playable on lowest settings with an Nvidia 7600GT. It was a smooth experience.

The gamer in me just couldn't rate higher though because the combat, action, and pacing left me wanting. In the end, the story IS the game. It felt rather vanilla beyond that, and I needed more.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147

In reference to the op;

I maxed the graphics options available and it looked like kotor 2, which is 5 years old.
    The gameplay was a carbon clone of wow,rift,aion,eq,eq2,daoc ect. Same old thing, which is just gotten too stale for me.
    Story, how meh can a star wars story line get? Go play a sith marauder from the ground up and youll know.
    Community, THIS IS BARRENS CHAT!! ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? That's the quality of community I ran into playing beta. If it wasnt that it was acronym city and lfg and same old shit nothing new, just a younger less experienced community.

I can't explain how boring and painful it was to see my second favorite ip whord out like this. It's not a kotor game, but it's not totally an morpg either. It a bad mix of both IMO.

IMO is exactly what op wanted remember that plz.

Sic Luceat Lux

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Hmm..after 500+ votes i see mostly positive reviews. Yet most of the posts are hates. I guess fans are happy with the game and  dont like posting too much.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Excelent game, above my wildest expectations.

Another awesome Bioware game, and it seems most agree, after more than 500 votes, more than 50% of the voters gave it an 8 or above, and more than 65% gave it 7 or above.... great scores there

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by Size-Twelve

Critic style score: 7.5

True to poll score: 6.0

I think if you're into standard single player RPG's, you're probably wondering how anyone could NOT love this game!

If you're into action/adventure games, your eyes are probably bleeding from all the cutscenes, and you're left wondering where the action is?

Bioware got all of the RPG elements right with SWTOR, and the game is dripping with story. It was also playable on lowest settings with an Nvidia 7600GT. It was a smooth experience.

The gamer in me just couldn't rate higher though because the combat, action, and pacing left me wanting. In the end, the story IS the game. It felt rather vanilla beyond that, and I needed more.

I love single player RPG's.

I love ME 1 and ME 2.  I love DA:O.  I love Skyrim.  I loved Fallout 3 and NV.

When I play ToR - I feel like I'm playing a game from 2005.  It has cutscenes... great.... it better... because otherwise I'd be forced to stare at a totally bland and lifeless universe. 

• gary0515gary0515 Member Posts: 36

My 2 cents, TOR is a fun game, the cutscenes and the companion system are really kool next gen stuff. But i have to say that other than these 2 things the game is just another MMO with a star wars title. There isnt anything in there thats new for the player to do. The space combat is no where near as good as Jump to Lightspeed in galaxies is. To be honest, even with the NGE, galaxies is a better game than this one.

Its time we as players start demanding something different than this. I really am getting tired of all these MMO's being the exact same game as every other MMO, just different skins. Still has a tank, DPS and healers.  and a rogue class. Come one guys, all you devs keep promising stuff, but like real life politicians, its just smoke and mirrors.

• jonezi92jonezi92 Member Posts: 224

I just think some people are upset about the fact that if you want to know what you are doing for a quest, you have to invest some time and actaully listen to the guy, instead of getting that scroll of text that nobody ever reads.

On the other hand, some people dont have alot of time to invest into the game.

At least people now will be able to stop and smell the roses for a change, instead of mindlessly grinding for max level as soon as possible. ( I was one of those people )

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by jonezi92

I just think some people are upset about the fact that if you want to know what you are doing for a quest, you have to invest some time and actaully listen to the guy, instead of getting that scroll of text that nobody ever reads.

On the other hand, some people dont have alot of time to invest into the game.

At least people now will be able to stop and smell the roses for a change, instead of mindlessly grinding for max level as soon as possible. ( I was one of those people )

I do not have a lot of time, but I really enjoy good rpgs / action games with a good story. Grinding levels has never been that much imho. SWToR is a game that makes leveling fun. 

• JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177

I used to vote in polls, then i took an arrow in the knee...

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

if u hit space bar until u get to make a choice most converstaions last 30 secs at most. so u can get past that and since the have quest log u can look up quest to see what u need to get.

the fact the map shows u where to go to do quests also makes it easy for those with no time. So its not like the 3 min cutscene makes this game harder.

I was suprised how smooth and how few bugs i ran into even though it is the end of beta i was still pleasently suprised how well this game run on the computers i used.

I loved th game it was a lot of fun and i really enjoyed my time in tor. I cant wait for launch. 

I dont care if a game is innovative or does things diffrent all i want is a game i have fun playing and tor did that for me.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

I gave it 5, rather boring first 10 levels(I never passed level 10 in beta so I cant tell if game gets better after you pass that level)

Not very nice graphics I have to say.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

10/10 for not letting Sony with in a million light years of this project!

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by jeolman

Originally posted by DKLond

My thoughts after beta are: "meh".

But it's a meh that's based on what the game COULD and likely SHOULD have been.

If it was just another MMO by an unknown developer, I might have been more impressed. I'd probably have considered it... "pretty interesting".

But a flagship Bioware title with a 6-year development cycle?

M E H

I gave it a 5 for the same reason. too many "safe" developement decisions.  I'm still gonna play it hough.

5/10, which is an F. And, you're still playing it? 

How does that make any sense?

SWTOR: Even the haters gotta play it.

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

Originally posted by Golelorn

on a scale of 10 5 equals a C

Originally posted by Jesterftk

on a scale of 10 5 equals a C

In what universe?

God lord, are the public schools really this easy now that 50% is a C?

When I was in college it was like this:

5/10 = 50% - F

7/10 = 70% = C

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'd rate it at about a 7 at this point, good game, but on the grounds of an MMO there could be far more in the way of community building options. I'm also a virtual world kinda guy so on that subject there is a lot left to be desired. The game IMO had a decent atmosphere, fun combat, interesting stories, and a decent amount of group content.

I'm not a fan of the 4 player standard group size, nor the seemingly raid oriented end-game. Love the PVP options thus far.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Hey, in a lot of countries 5 is a passing grade. :)

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

Originally posted by solarine

Hey, in a lot of countries 5 is a passing grade. :)

Damn wish I went to school there then, getting ready to go back to college what country is that lol?

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

The story is excellent but most of the game mechanics rank as functional, character customisation is poor, tying weight and height together is a no no for me and those horrible plastic beards! My tall female looked like she had a bulge too, did I roll a pre-op tranny? Classes do their job just fine, group content is made special by the dialogue system, the UI needs work and I quite like the crafting system.

The setting and story are what takes it above any other title of its genre for me, looking past that and there's nothing else to take it above our current crop, in fact it's bellow some in terms of combat, UI, customisation etc.

Because the story is so well done I opted for an 8 (would have preferred a 7.5)

I, too, gave a 7, but think a 7.5 is a better score.

Although, I find it hard for me to rate. Its not a game I will play, but I certainly see its plus sides. I just don't think its an 8 or above because it really seems like a single player game until the end game when everyone gets to grind for gear just for the sake of having better gear.

I think a MMO should be more than that. I understand I'm in the minority.