Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Worst possible first impression

teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

Yes, I expected a total lagfest and being unable to really do much.

 

But it was so much worse for two reasons:

 

The camera seems to LOVE pointing up.  I tried moving around, click to move or wasd style...and always ended up looking up, and I couldnt find camera controls in options.  Just brutal.

 

Far worse was the chat.  i constant spam of LVL UP or LVL UP PLZ or similar things, almost never typed out.  Also a lot of people in other languages and hatred towards other countries/nationalities.  But those were the minority, maybe one such thing for every 99 LVL UP messages.  

Comments

  • Lord_AthonLord_Athon Caldas da RainhaPosts: 165Member

    So what? you saw something. when i tried the servers were down and are stil down.

    But i think this is not a great deal, this is kind of good, it seems that L2 is alive and still rocks ^-^

    I dont have much experience in game, but few days a go i've been playing a game with "7 YEARS OLD" and its much better than "SO MANY MMORPG's" with 6 months. I was loving it all, the policy of giving a smack down over the guy that is getting you crazy because of a chat or another stupid "kid" stuff. it might be stupid, but its great. lol

    And i can say, i enjoy pve a lot, but this kind of pvp its just almost perfect. No factions, just pvp.

    image
  • MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Freeland, MIPosts: 630Member

    I heard a customer a a overcrowded and very busy store say, "You guys are going to lose all your customers because you're too busy."

    The lag will calm down.  I think it's a good sign that so many people are trying it out.

  • teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

    does the camera pan up because of the lag?  I cant even see the guy to talk to because it seems 100% impossible to face the camera towards him.  Ive tried in both 1st and 3rd person mode.

  • teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

    Originally posted by MMOtoGO

    I heard a customer a a overcrowded and very busy store say, "You guys are going to lose all your customers because you're too busy."

    The lag will calm down.  I think it's a good sign that so many people are trying it out.

    My issues werent the lag though

  • joosiijoosii Burnaby, BCPosts: 38Member

    I dunno what all the "lvl me up" stuff, but yeah it's busy... just as expected. After all, it's opening day. I'll check back in a few days and see if it's any better. Just relax. It's not like the game didnt exist before. People know how it works already. Newbies like us, aren't going to get it.

    BTW, there's reviews about the community not being very good in Lineage, but first impressions aren't going to confirm or deny those comments for me. I'm just gonna wait and see.

  • AdoniAdoni Tucson, AZPosts: 347Member Uncommon

    I was shocked to see I had a level 43 that I played so many years back. There he was just waiting.

    image
  • felyxfelyx KecskemetPosts: 27Member Uncommon

    Guys be patient really, the game just opened up for everyone and they gave us a new expansion and a new server. Having so many players around is good, very very good in fact. Btw don't judge the game by the players, always a bad idea. Even if you do hey you can kill anyone you like (or don't like) :PP

  • RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXPosts: 3,483Member Uncommon

    Point and click to move is well, unfortunate. Sure, its ok if your used to that sort of thing but it truly is annoying since 90% of MMO's offer the ease of WASD movement. Don't get me wrong, I dealt with point and click while playing Shadowbane but when you add the amount of latency we're seeing, it's like trying to throw darts at a dart board while drunk and spinning around.

    Also, unless the latency was extremely bad, I'm not even sure how you chat with NPCs. I was left clicking on Pantheon for 5 minutes since that seemed to be the obvious way to chat. Next thing I know, I hit F1 to attack his royal deafness and what do you know, he talked.

    L2 has been out for... oh, a while. Even going F2P should not have caused such chaos. People complain about LOTRO when it went F2P, but this, well... I won't even bother commenting.

    image

  • ReesRacerReesRacer Dallas, TXPosts: 155Member Uncommon

    the camera trying to point up is a strange result of the gamepad option that is checked in the options menu (for most). simply uncheck it, and everything should work as it should. as for the lag, and lack of WASD controls. well...one will improve, and the other is just the way L2 is played.

    i don't need to race to level cap on the new server. i'll log back in when it settles down a little. 

  • teakboisteakbois Parlin, NJPosts: 2,154Member

    Originally posted by 9reesracer9

    the camera trying to point up is a strange result of the gamepad option that is checked in the options menu (for most). simply uncheck it, and everything should work as it should. as for the lag, and lack of WASD controls. well...one will improve, and the other is just the way L2 is played.

    i don't need to race to level cap on the new server. i'll log back in when it settles down a little. 

    Thanks for the answer to the looking up issue

     

    and WASD does work in the game, gotta go into short cuts menu and make it so you have to hit enter to chat, then wasd works for movement

     

  • RajCajRajCaj Lafayette, LAPosts: 706Member
    What many don't understand is that there is/was a very large private server community. Now that the official servers are free, and have accelerated leveling, much of that community is now trying out the official servers.

    This its a good thing, considering L2 is primarily a large scale pvp game.

    I remember in L2s peak, there were epic 200 vs 200 castle sieges....that may be possible again. I also think that some of the competitive nature between the nationalities playing will do much to stoke some good rivalries
  • joosiijoosii Burnaby, BCPosts: 38Member

    Originally posted by felyx

    Btw don't judge the game by the players, always a bad idea.

    What do you mean don't judge a game by the players? If the community sucks, then it's a game that allows for a sucky community. Who wants to play with jerks and de-generates who are permitted to behave that way? If the social aspect of a MMO creates a bad playing experience, then  there's no point in playing.

    I've heard they put some fixes in place to try and enhance the community experience in Lineage. I look forward to seeing if it works for me after the start point lag calms down. Oh when will that be? QQ

  • WSIMikeWSIMike Catskill, NYPosts: 5,564Member

    Originally posted by joosii

    Originally posted by felyx

    Btw don't judge the game by the players, always a bad idea.

    What do you mean don't judge a game by the players? If the community sucks, then it's a game that allows for a sucky community. Who wants to play with jerks and de-generates who are permitted to behave that way? If the social aspect of a MMO creates a bad playing experience, then  there's no point in playing.

    I've heard they put some fixes in place to try and enhance the community experience in Lineage. I look forward to seeing if it works for me after the start point lag calms down. Oh when will that be? QQ

    Because L2's community isn't typically that way and hasn't been that way for years.

    They just went F2P and released a major update... So yes, it's going to attract a lot of people who are asshats simply because they can be at no cost to themselves. That it's a FFA PvP MMO is likely to enhance that effect.

    It'll settle down with time again.

     

     

    "If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

    image

  • joosiijoosii Burnaby, BCPosts: 38Member

    Mike!  image

    Actually, the main thrust of my post was that that I disagree with felyx's statement that games shouldnt be judged on the basis of the players. Believe me, I WILL judge Lineage on the basis of the bahavior of the overall player base, F2P or not. No reason to stick around if it's a bad gaming experience. Judging a game based on the behavior of the community is fair I think considering that it is an MMO.

    Of course, you are right -- the behavior of F2P communities probably attract more assdips than when it was just subs, so definitely something to keep in mind. Can't make a flash judgement when it comes to community. I start playing for the fun of the game. But community is what will make the game stick.

    OK, gonna go try logging onto Lineage again... see if the lag is tolerable...

  • WSIMikeWSIMike Catskill, NYPosts: 5,564Member

    Originally posted by joosii

    Mike!  image

    Actually, the main thrust of my post was that that I disagree with felyx's statement that games shouldnt be judged on the basis of the players. Believe me, I WILL judge Lineage on the basis of the bahavior of the overall player base, F2P or not. No reason to stick around if it's a bad gaming experience. Judging a game based on the behavior of the community is fair I think considering that it is an MMO.

    Of course, you are right -- the behavior of F2P communities probably attract more assdips than when it was just subs, so definitely something to keep in mind. Can't make a flash judgement when it comes to community. I start playing for the fun of the game. But community is what will make the game stick.

    OK, gonna go try logging onto Lineage again... see if the lag is tolerable...

    Well, I remember back when the game first launched, and into its first few Chronicles, it was nigh on unbearable as a new player.... I even got fed up with it. Getting ganked from time to time is one thing. But when there are up to 2-3 "perma-reds" stalking the newbie areas for the sole purpose of griefing people.. it gets to be too much.

    Over time, though, the player base sorta started taking care of itself. Vets stepped in and started helping newbies out by dealing with the a-holes who were harassing them. Players who had no serious intention of playing the game beyond that ended up leaving, and those who remained settled into the actual game (character development, player politics, sieges, clan wars, etc) and moved beyond the petty newbie ganking. 

    I imagine a similar thing will happen with this game over time as well. Players who aren't serious about playing will get bored and move on, and those who do want to experience more of the game will "back off" and continue playing. 'course, there will always be the risk of messing with someone friendly with an established, powerful clan... or being the alt of such a character themself.

    I'm giving it time for the dust to settle before I step back in for a serious look-see. I tried it on the day of its launch and... yeah... it was unbearable lol. Worse than I remember even Gludio being shortly after its initial launch.

     

     

    "If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

    image

  • RecoreRecore Posts: 5,095Member Uncommon

    They need to add another server.

    Raptr Gamercard
  • JabasJabas Caldas da RainhaPosts: 1,207Member Common

    Alot of players in starting village dont want to play L2.

    The game is free now so some ppl only come to annoying others while they are bored about their curent mmorpg, or while waiting for some soon mmorpg lunch.

    Judge the L2 community by the 40- lvls gives a wrong picture. I back to my old char, lvl 73, and the community is just great like was befor. Players respect others, help when need it, dont KS, etc. Ofc there is allways a moron here and there, but not enouph to ruin my gameplay.

    I do agree that new chars will have a hard time untill finish the 2nd class transfer atm, servers are close to their max cap. Maybe NCsoft will open new servers, but i think things going to calm down a little very soon.

     

    About camera issue, someone allready answer.

  • ThemePorkThemePork Boston, MAPosts: 312Member

    Welcome to the amazing world of F2P mmos....

  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 dublinPosts: 2,735Member

    Originally posted by teakbois

    Yes, I expected a total lagfest and being unable to really do much.

     

    But it was so much worse for two reasons:

     

    The camera seems to LOVE pointing up.  I tried moving around, click to move or wasd style...and always ended up looking up, and I couldnt find camera controls in options.  Just brutal.

     

    Far worse was the chat.  i constant spam of LVL UP or LVL UP PLZ or similar things, almost never typed out.  Also a lot of people in other languages and hatred towards other countries/nationalities.  But those were the minority, maybe one such thing for every 99 LVL UP messages.  

    if you have a gamepad plugged in it effects your camera. i agree with you on the community lineage 2 has a horrible one with kill stealers, loot stealers and just general hate names al over the place.

  • Blindboy94Blindboy94 Portland, ORPosts: 14Member

    I downloaded it yesterday, played it for about an hour and was already bored to tears.

    The game feels like every other F2p game, I'm not really sure why so many people like this game, it kind of boggles my mind.

  • AckbarAckbar Winnipeg, MBPosts: 927Member

    The one thing bugging me is all the damn bots. Makes me feel like Ill have to bot just to keep up with the Joneses.

    ----ITS A TRAP!!!----

Sign In or Register to comment.