Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: MMORPG.com Community Review!

1234568»

Comments

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by lizardbones

I think part of it is that conversations about the positive thoughts on SWToR (or anything for that matter) are pretty short. It's just part of the nature of those conversations.

Person A: I like pretzels.

Person B: Me too. Chocolate covered pretzels are really cool.

Person A: Good one!

From here, the conversation might repeat, but not infinitely. When people tend to agree about things, there's not much point in continuing the conversation.

Negative conversations on the other hand will have a much longer lifespan.

Person A: I hate pretzels.

Person B: What? I love pretzels!

Person C: Why are you posting about hating pretzels in a pretzel forum?

Person D: Troll!

Person A: I just think pretzels have some obvious faults, which I do not like.

Person B: Pretzels are crispy and salty at the same time! If that's not enough, they can be covered in chocolate...what's not to like?

Person E: Some people like pretzels, some people don't. What's the big deal?

From here the conversation spirals into several sub-conversations, many of them conversations about the conversation itself. If it goes far enough, many bits of the conversation will repeat because it's just too much to read and keep up with.

Today's post about the conversation and conversations in general brought to you by the letter 'M'.

** edit **

I couldn't think of a life lesson, so it's 'M' for 'Muffins'.

good post. This is pretty much how every single game forum I have even been in goes though. So it shouldn't be suprising at all:)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by sanosukexa

good post. This is pretty much how every single game forum I have even been in goes though. So it shouldn't be suprising at all:)

Well, he did forget the part about Person F blaming Person G for anything that's ever gone wrong in his life, the reflexive shortcut arguments "Carebear!" "Griefer!" from people who just plain don't like each other very much.  And god the Proselytizing that never ever ends.

Two muffins please.  Thanks.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Originally posted by sanosukexa

Well, he did forget the part about Person F blaming Person G for anything that's ever gone wrong in his life, the reflexive shortcut arguments "Carebear!" "Griefer!" from people who just plain don't like each other very much.  And god the Proselytizing that never ever ends.

Two muffins please.  Thanks.

think we may be spirialing into one of those sub-conversations! joy!

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I give it an 8 for the starter area.  I thought it was good but it didn't knock my socks off.  

Won't get into sandbox vs. themepark.  It is what it is.   Beta for me was pretty smooth despite very high pop.  There was a little lag but no more than you would expect.  Actually it probably performed better than most games under that amount of population stress.

Graphics are good for an mmo, but nothing that blows me away...yet.  Again, once I get off the starter world and see more I have a feeling the number will go up.

More options for character creation and appearance tab would be great.  No trandoshans :(   Even if character creation stays the same, with appearance tab that would help a lot.  I liked the mod system, what I experienced of it.  I can picture that being kind of fun to mess around with.

It's STAR WARS!!!!  I give it props for being one of my favorite IP's.  Long time fan.  

For what it is, I think it's solid.  Looking forward to launch.

Originally posted by sanosukex

The fine art of muffin derailment.  But they're so delicious!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

indeed!

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

I think at the end u should make an base score based on all comunity's votes

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Looks like most votes are near my own. I have a lot of opinions on the game, and especially the (lack of) customer support, but I think the game actually has potential.

Guess we'll see.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171

I think we have more than enough votes that I can put final scores in place in the OP now.

However,  now that we've heard there have been 2 million testers...  do you think our poll is a trend of what we could expect from the 2 million players or so?  And if we extrapolate our poll,  do you think the numbers we find would be accurate to depict those that will end up buying the game on launch, to those that won't?

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

7's and 8's pretty much across the board for me except the character creation.

I think the poor character creation will bite them in the butt a bit, especially body types, but the game will do well.  All in all I think Bioware has a winner for their first foray into MMOs.

Overall rating from me is 7.5-8.0.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

Originally posted by maskedweasel

do you think our poll is a trend of what we could expect from the 2 million players or so?

Naw.  For several reasons, the population of this message board is atypical.

Interesting to look at, but not really very useful statistically. 

Message board polls violate Rule 1:

"The key reason that some polls reflect public opinion accurately and other polls are unscientific junk is how people were chosen to be interviewed. In scientific polls, the pollster uses a specific statistical method for picking respondents. In unscientific polls, the person picks himself to participate."

do you think our poll is a trend of what we could expect from the 2 million players or so?

Naw.  For several reasons, the population of this message board is atypical.

Interesting to look at, but not really very useful statistically. 

Message board polls violate Rule 1:

"The key reason that some polls reflect public opinion accurately and other polls are unscientific junk is how people were chosen to be interviewed. In scientific polls, the pollster uses a specific statistical method for picking respondents. In unscientific polls, the person picks himself to participate."

Well...  I did pick myself... literally.. as ... I did participate.  No argument there.

Still,  this I would imagine is a more volatile community,  in comparison to the majority out there... or at least, thats what the mainstream would have us believe.

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

Meh. I don't like muffins. I just wish someone would come out and make some food that I dont actually have chew and swallow, after all it is 2011, and that kind of grind is just not acceptable in this day and age.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by omome

Meh. I don't like muffins. I just wish someone would come out and make some food that I dont actually have chew and swallow, after all it is 2011, and that kind of grind is just not acceptable in this day and age.

Ha image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by grunt187

Ha

Do you have any idea how many people would sit down and swallow a week's worth of dinner pills all at once? It would be like handing out light sabers; there would be people exploding all over the place. The only thing worse would be handing out flying cars or jet packs. I'm with Muffins on this one.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Bender, does the grind for you. Muffins + Milk = breakfast in a cup!

I would be happy to sip on this when playing SWTOR (lousy attempt to get back on topic)

"Final" scores added to the OP.  They are as follows:

"FINAL" PRE-LAUNCH SCORES:

Story: 9 - Excellent

Combat / Gameplay: 8 - Great

Graphics / Character Design: 7 - Good

Group Content / World Content: 9 - Excellent

Companions / Crew Skills: 9 - Excellent

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This pretty closely matches my impression of the game. The graphics is the weakest spot for SWToR, followed closely by the Combat. The strong points (especially now, after the moddable armor update) are the Story and the Companions/Crew Skills. I think Group Content qualifies as good as well, but I'm surprised it rated as good as the Story and the Companions.

** edit **
    Also - the graphics and the combat are the least important of the items in the list, so I would rather see more development in something like Group Content or the Story instead of Combat or Graphics.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

*in before hateboys swarm the thread preaching how this poll has been hijacked by bioware employees and how this game sucks because its not swg2/skyrimonline/randomsandbox*

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by kishe

*in before hateboys swarm the thread preaching how this poll has been hijacked by bioware employees and how this game sucks because its not swg2/skyrimonline/randomsandbox*

Anytime now..... ;)

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Maybe a touch higher than I would have posted but still reasonable.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

i know gameplay is #1 and means everything...but rateing grfix / char. models a good is a joke..

char. creation is outright horrible in this game..every model is the same fat stocky build or skinny guy with just diff skin colors and or random spikes atop their head / tentacles ..with the budget they had / have this is byfar a joke ..i mean? where are the aliens races? lol ? im in a starwars world and cant even be a alien type char. ...at this day and age the grfix that this game has is a joke..i know it shouldnt be a topic in mmo's but  you guys are rateing it atm and yur just kidding yur selfs if you think this is even "good" imo its laughable

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by odinsrath

i know gameplay is #1 and means everything...but rateing grfix / char. models a good is a joke..

char. creation is outright horrible in this game..every model is the same fat stocky build or skinny guy with just diff skin colors and or random spikes atop their head / tentacles ..with the budget they had / have this is byfar a joke ..i mean? where are the aliens races? lol ? im in a starwars world and cant even be a alien type char. ...at this day and age the grfix that this game has is a joke..i know it shouldnt be a topic in mmo's but  you guys are rateing it atm and yur just kidding yur selfs if you think this is even "good" imo its laughable

Yeah, I wish they hadn't been together like that because the character creation is bad enough to deserve its own so it isn't brough up by the other graphics which I'm ok with.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Choice of races has little to do with graphics and character models, at least in my book. For example, Aion has little choice in races but its character models and customisation is outstanding without a doubt.

But I agree that the environment graphics and character models should be regarded separately. Personally, I have the same impression of them as I have of LotrO: while I regard the character models in both LotrO and SWTOR as meh or kinda ok-ish, I find the overall environment graphics great and quite impressive.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

The thing is,  it IS "good".   If you consider games like CoH,  and CO "Excellent"  or Perfect, and games like DCUO, and AION as "Great" (in the character development portion) then yeah,  SWTOR is exactly "Good".   

Honestly I would say SWTOR is above games like FE, WoW, and similar games,  easily,  even if you don't have a large amount of races to choose from,  or 50 different sliders.   The models are done very well, and you have a lot of interesting and unique ways to create a character - even if MOST of the major changes are horns, piercings, facial hair, or tattoos.

They've also added some movement to the hair, which is good, so now it doesn't look so lego plastic when playing... though I'm still not a major fan.... so helmets all the way.

As for the graphics,  again, they are pretty good.  World design is mostly very high on my list,  with some issues with high res textures during beta.  Maybe they'll have those fixed at launch....  guess we'll have to wait and see.