Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: MMORPG.com Community Review!

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I would like to see this same thread redone 3 months from now, just to see the difference post launch makes and when the glamour wears off.  I loved the game for 2 weeks until boredom set in.  If I were to be polled on my first few days of play I would have picked 8s and up.  After the newness wore off I now have picked an 9 for story, and the rest are 5s and one 6.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Talthanys

Originally posted by BadSpock

bump for great justice!

What I hate the most about TOR?

The Empire story lines (that I've seen) are better. Sad panda :(

Trooper and Bounty Hunter may have same exact talent trees and skill variety, but BH story+animations > Trooper imo

Inquisitor and Consular may have same exact talent trees and skill variety, but SI story + animations > JC imo

I only played the SI (though I'll give BH a shot in about an hour) but it was a well done personal storyline. I especially enjoyed the final chapter, walking into that room with this vast and airy chasm between you and the Deshade you have to free.

Imho, the jedi stories are the weakest of the class stories. I still had un playing but the story was more predictable.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

IMO the jedi stories are mostly weak if you go with the typical light side only choices. It will feel like all the other jedi games with the path of the light side. Playing as a jedi that later falls to the darkside and [RP] holds back to hide their decietful plot would be much more entertaining way to play. I have a feeling there is plenty of light/dark side points to gain for you to do that esp. if you do FPs often.

I hope players will play more naturally than to always do the light/dark side options for the sake of light/dark armor. I haven't seen rewards yet for staying in the grey but BW said they would have it in sometime.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by catlana

Originally posted by Talthanys

Originally posted by BadSpock

bump for great justice!

What I hate the most about TOR?

The Empire story lines (that I've seen) are better. Sad panda :(

Trooper and Bounty Hunter may have same exact talent trees and skill variety, but BH story+animations > Trooper imo

Inquisitor and Consular may have same exact talent trees and skill variety, but SI story + animations > JC imo

I only played the SI (though I'll give BH a shot in about an hour) but it was a well done personal storyline. I especially enjoyed the final chapter, walking into that room with this vast and airy chasm between you and the Deshade you have to free.

Imho, the jedi stories are the weakest of the class stories. I still had un playing but the story was more predictable.

I actually enjoyed the Jedi story very much and once I got T7 companion I was in love with his little clicking noise and childlike behavior liek saying Jedi and T7 = Awesome team...random comments like that were cute and fun to see but the gameplay of the Jedi was atrocious.  I felt I was constantly playing what a mole and looking to ensure I had enough force resource to hit my big power attacks, unlike playing a Jedi Consular with a depleting resource it was much smoother.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I actually enjoyed the Jedi story very much and once I got T7 companion I was in love with his little clicking noise and childlike behavior liek saying Jedi and T7 = Awesome team...random comments like that were cute and fun to see but the gameplay of the Jedi was atrocious.  I felt I was constantly playing what a mole and looking to ensure I had enough force resource to hit my big power attacks, unlike playing a Jedi Consular with a depleting resource it was much smoother.

I dunno, I'd have to agree that overall the Empire stories seemed much more interesting. The Jedi did get some decent ones after you get out of the starting zones (late teens, early 20s) but you had to wade through a lot of poorly written ones to get there (thank god for space bar!).

Personally I felt the JC animations were a bit better, simply because they had more variety in them than the SI, and were done about as well. It kinda old just doing force lightning, more force lightning, force lightning with wind! I liked the diversity with the JC. The warrior classes were a lot of fun though, maybe even more than the casters. They had a lot of problems in PvP, but it was still enjoyable building up force / hate.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Originally posted by elocke

I would like to see this same thread redone 3 months from now, just to see the difference post launch makes and when the glamour wears off.  I loved the game for 2 weeks until boredom set in.  If I were to be polled on my first few days of play I would have picked 8s and up.  After the newness wore off I now have picked an 9 for story, and the rest are 5s and one 6.

Hi there elocke. I have read your posts over the years and like reading your opinions on them, but From looking at how many MMO's you have played over the years I can see why your bored of the game already. You have played almost every MMO that is listed on this site and you have left every single one of them out of sheer bordem. So I completly understand why you would be. I would be too :P

My husband has since retired from playing MMO's because he doesn't like the direction they are taking them now because they are all themeparks. Currently we are enjoying our Skyrim game

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by mmoguy43

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by mmoguy43
    The poll is based on the merits of the game not relative to other games. I would have thought you would get that by now.

I voted relative to what I thought Bioware could have or should have done with the features mentioned. Everything I've seen up to this point is included in that vote, including what I've seen other games do or not do. Even games that aren't MMORPG. If someone played Mass Effect or one of the other Bioware story driven games, they would be comparing SW:ToR's story system with Mass Effect's story system. Same thing with the graphics, combat, etc. Everyone who voted used their past experience as a baseline, unless they never played a video game.

Alright, I see what you are saying. So if you've never played a video game before this would be a perfect 10. If you played every MMO in the past 3 years the vote may be "Very good". Or only sandbox MMOs in 10 years you'd vote a "Bad". Now I realize it is much more complicated for the 0-7 8-10 system to work.

It's all relative. Different people would even have different opinions on what a 10 even means. I almost never vote a 10 because to me, a 10 means "cannot be improved by a human agency". Other people might vote 10's a lot because what they see is as good as they have ever seen.

I don't think you could even say that someone who likes sandboxes would give SWToR a low score. It's entirely possible, even likely that someone who likes sandboxes might also like story driven entertainment. Someone who's never played a video might hate SWToR because it doesn't fit with what they remember from SW in the 70's and 80's. I just don't think you can draw conclusions on the people who are voting up SWToR from the polls.

What I think you can say is that SWToR will have a fairly broad appeal to a fairly large audience. If the analysts' speculation are even half true, SWToR will have a minimum of 500,000 subscribers and about 2 million client sales. This jives with what Bioware said their expectations were. Seems like the game will be fairly successful (to me).

** edit **
    Also, we're getting enough votes that the results are a pretty standard bell curve, weighted towards the 'like it' end of the spectrum. Make of that what you will.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Wow, seeing as how they removed all the other polls, this thread is useless. Might as well have deleted the entire thread.

I didn't see anything about posting multiple polls in a thread in any of the rules of conduct.... and it would have been more wasteful to make a separate thread for each topic.. .......

Please review the OP,  if anyone had the final results of each poll, please post them and I will update the OP with the communities final score.

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

I think the poll shows quite clearly that Rift is dead, and WoW is going to be reporting heavy losses....and NA subs are losses that hurt Blizzard....soon WoW be touting 6 mil subs, all of which are asians, both prisoners and children :P

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by trash656

Originally posted by elocke

Hi there elocke. I have read your posts over the years and like reading your opinions on them, but From looking at how many MMO's you have played over the years I can see why your bored of the game already. You have played almost every MMO that is listed on this site and you have left every single one of them out of sheer bordem. So I completly understand why you would be. I would be too :P

My husband has since retired from playing MMO's because he doesn't like the direction they are taking them now because they are all themeparks. Currently we are enjoying our Skyrim game

Thanks.  Yeah...I'm hoping MMORPGs like GW2, The Secret World and ArcheAge have that magic I've been missing since FFXI, but like you I'm only finding it in Skyrim at the moment.  Thing is, I still love MMORPGs and will casually play WoW, Rift, Lotro, EQ2, AoC, couple other F2Ps just to get that online RPG feel.  This is why I'll end up playing SWTOR, I'm just not happy that it wasn't the one to bring that magic back.  It will just end up being another MMO I hop on and off of when content updates hit.  

It's almost like MMORPG by committee, hehe.  Football terminology there, instead of single running backs getting 100+ yards a game with 3+ touchdowns, a lot of teams now have 3 or more runningbacks cumulatively doing the same thing.   Hence the analogy with MMORPG gameplay these days for me.

I almost wish we had an MMORPG.com members guild that had a presence in all of these games.  Then I could feel like I know everyone already while playing them, hehe. 

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Really, what are the mods doing? They've just killed a good bit of content here.  

This thread was one that intrigued quite some people, and it's useless now. This is some senseless moderation. Not to mention it's coarse behavior towards your users. A lot of people voted on those polls. 

At least the polls could be backed up, so that they could be posted as separate threads, if that's how the system's supposed to work.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

Originally posted by solarine

Really, what are the mods doing? They've just killed a good bit of content here.  

This thread was one that intrigued quite some people, and it's useless now. This is some senseless moderation. Not to mention it's coarse behavior towards your users. A lot of people voted on those polls. 

At least the polls could be backed up, so that they could be posted as separate threads, if that's how the system's supposed to work.

Fully agree. Personally I thought the polls were a great idea and very interesting. I don't see any reason for the mods to simply close it down. At least they've could've split the thread and created one for every poll. Then again, if We do something like that, they'll probably be deleted since you create more or less duplicate threads.

Bloody stupid.

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

I know someone will come out of the woodwork to explain to me that I am wrong or how this is in the wrong place. When I first came here it was because we needed a place to be able to speak to each other as gamers without $oE banning closing or s removing are ability to talk about issues we were having in SWG. We found a community here or became part of it, helped build it take your pick on how you want to see it.

At that time, this was a small backwater site that more then put up with us being here. In time, this site got bigger but they did not forget us and even created a section in SWG for us rather than telling us we could not speak here. This sit kept getting bigger and that voice of decent that had at least in my mind that had helped build some of this community is not well received now all thought there were calls to remove the refugee section from galaxies it was defended by staff as something that needed to stay.

I would like to think that’s still the community we are in here but then again I still like to think MTV plays music videos still. I guess things change maybe when new forums are created for games we also need a category for decent made I don’t know I have not seen firsthand the heavy handedness people rail about but that does not mean it is not happening.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

It's a real shame the rest of the polls got deleted, it does make this thread rather useless now, I don't understand why they did it, was any reason given ?

• brutality123brutality123 Member Posts: 125

The multiple polls idea was a good one IMO and one where the most vocal did not win out. It is a shame to see them removed for no apparent reason.

I would like to know what the reason was TBH?  I hope it just wasn't because of stupidity or maybe bias.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I'm as confused as you guys are.  I've sent a message over to Mike, an I'm sure he'll be able to tell us what happened.  

This isn't my first time trying a multiple polls thread though the previous one wasn't nearly as popular.   

I thought if this took off well enough,  we might be able to do multiple Community reviews so we could see what the MMORPG.COM community perception is at each interval of the games development. (or post launch success)

Beta or Launch poll

2nd Poll 3 - 6 Months from launch.

3rd Poll 1 year from launch.

I think it could go nicely with the way MMORPG does reviews.. and re-reviews.  

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

It's funny that this got Mod-snagged by some overzealous person when MikeB himself was on here and commented on the thread.   Do we know which Mod did it?  I'm just curious as I have my own opinions of a couple of them.

Last I saw, bellcurves were all around the 8 range with about 440-480 votes or so.  Not many 10's... (under 20%, all the 8-9's were somewhere between 15-30%).  I wish I woulda known, I read this before bed... I could have screenshotted it.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I'm as confused as you guys are.  I've sent a message over to Mike, an I'm sure he'll be able to tell us what happened.  

This isn't my first time trying a multiple polls thread though the previous one wasn't nearly as popular.   

I thought if this took off well enough,  we might be able to do multiple Community reviews so we could see what the MMORPG.COM community perception is at each interval of the games development. (or post launch success)

Beta or Launch poll

Hopefully Mike will restore the thread, if he can. I think the mod who destroyed the thread might have done so in error, its certainly better than having 4-5 threads open at once for those polls.

As often as I have dealings with the mods here ( I'm exciteable)  they haven't ever really made a poor call to me, will have to see why they removed them.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

people gave the stories a 1... should that be ban worthy for trolling?

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Originally posted by Ikeda

It's funny that this got Mod-snagged by some overzealous person when MikeB himself was on here and commented on the thread.   Do we know which Mod did it?  I'm just curious as I have my own opinions of a couple of them.

Last I saw, bellcurves were all around the 8 range with about 440-480 votes or so.  Not many 10's... (under 20%, all the 8-9's were somewhere between 15-30%).  I wish I woulda known, I read this before bed... I could have screenshotted it.

The highest number of votes for the polls were: Story-9, Gameplay/Combat- 8, Graphics/Character design-7, Companions-9. I don't remember actual persentages.

I'f there isn't a reasonable answer and you put the poll up again I'll be happy to recast my vote.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

The question the mods and admins should ask themselves is if actions like this really help the forums. In this case, it's not even on the edge, but plain harassment of the users in  their ongoing discussion.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Beta or Launch poll

I think that's a good idea.

Sure we have the user review ratings, but those are not very telling, are they? Because we have no idea when the user gave those ratings. For all we know, most could have given them at launch and not revisited them at all. 

Maybe mmorpg.com can make it possible to review user ratings by period, like:

* Overall ratings.

* Ratings given in the last year.

* Ratings given in the last 3 months.

Though I still think the polls would work better, because they can be more detailed.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Sorry for the mishap guys. I've restored the polls. Carry on!

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by MikeB

Sorry for the mishap guys. I've restored the polls. Carry on!

Thank you MikeB. And that is a lot nicer comment then what I was gonna say. As I was skimming the fourms from my phone about 2 hours ago and seen that they had been deleted, I was quite honestly pretty peeved over it.

But, Mike I will say that in one of your rules / suggestions about typing something out and then deleting the post before actually posting it. Really does work, cause after I wrote it all out on my phone and it wouldn't post for whatever reason I did feel better lol. And I'm still able to post so I guess two bonus's :)