Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: MMORPG.com Community Review!

Comments

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Almost straight 9s for me.  I almost docked for story a little, but I realize that the IA story is still a good story, just not the kind of story I like overall.  Personally I thought both of the Jedi stories were really fun though.  Character Creation got docked a few points because I think they need to add a LOT more variety, but then earned back some points because the graphics have really grown on me.  Companions/Crew Skills I rated at a 10 though I actually wanted a 9.5.  Not because it is perfect, but because this is the first MMO that I actually liked crafting in.  Heck, I was actually having a really good time at it for a change.  The do need to add some more variety to the Companions though.  If I remember right Khem Val only had three "looks" to choose from.  I'm pretty sure anybody reading this could come up with at least a dozen different looks in 5 minutes without trying too hard, but I docked the points for this from the character creation aspect since it seems that is really the problem here as well.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Story: 9
    Combat/Gameplay: 7
    Graphics/Character Design: 7
    Group/World Content: 7
    Companions/Crew Skills: 9

I don't really like grouping so much, or instances, so the fact that I did them and actually wanted to do them after I did them meant (to me) that they were pretty good. I don't put groups together, but in SW:ToR, I did.

I'd like to see some dynamic content, similar to what's in Rift for the World Content.

I think the stand outs are the Story (obviously) and the Companions/Crew Skills. The descriptions of these features do not do them justice. I would almost give the Story content a 10...in fact I probably should have if I think about it, but I never give anything a '10'. Nothing is perfect, but the story is as close as you can get without being perfect.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

Originally posted by Charas

I gave a 7+ to everything except companions. I already can't stand them and I refuse to ever use one again. Seeing everyone running around with their stupid cloned companion is a severe immersion breaker for me, and where the hell is the option to mute their useless ramblings???

Also wtf is up with sending them on errands?? Click a button, wait 3 minutes, click another button...profit. That's one of the most uninspired features I've seen in an MMO in a long while...

I gave 8+ to everything but companions/crafting. That one I gave the 10 in. I love crafting in games, and I even love crafting now in games more that I don't have to personally sit at a anvil, or workbench to do them. :)

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

I gave 8 for everything other than character creation which i rated 5.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

The fact that nearly 50% of the votes for combat are 8, 9, or 10 leaves me dreading the future of MMOs.

I found the combat to be completely uninspired (dev decision), totally uninspiring (as a player it made me not want to play this game), and exceptionally boring (as a player I was so bored I won't ever play this game). I mean c'mon... try playing any class with a ranged weapon and running around while firing your blaster. All the shots fired at you bend and track you down as you move. It looks AWFUL in my opinion. Absolutely awful.

I'm also shocked by the voting for graphics/character creation. The character creation options were so limited / bland that I can't see how they can be overlooked even though the world design is pretty nice.

To each their own I guess. I just feel more and more like I'm the odd man out these days, and MMOs just aren't for me anymore.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

Originally posted by TheMaelstrom

The fact that nearly 50% of the votes for combat are 8, 9, or 10 leaves me dreading the future of MMOs.

I found the combat to be completely uninspired (dev decision), totally uninspiring (as a player it made me not want to play this game), and exceptionally boring (as a player I was so bored I won't ever play this game). I mean c'mon... try playing any class with a ranged weapon and running around while firing your blaster. All the shots fired at you bend and track you down as you move. It looks AWFUL in my opinion. Absolutely awful.

I'm also shocked by the voting for graphics/character creation. The character creation options were so limited / bland that I can't see how they can be overlooked even though the world design is pretty nice.

To each their own I guess. I just feel more and more like I'm the odd man out these days, and MMOs just aren't for me anymore.

That pretty much sums up your posts so in a way you answered your own dreadful worries. And you make it sound as if SWTOR combat is so awful that it makes MMOS  future in general look bleak. Too much over reacting.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Very nice idea, sir. If I knew how this star-thingy worked, I'd grant you one.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

This poll just goes to show that even here the haters are the vocal minority.... of a minority which are forum posters.

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Good idea. I do wish you would have put character design/graphics into two different categories. To me the graphics are great, but the character design is only passable. So I had to come up with a hybrid score. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see e results in a few days.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by 41eX

Originally posted by Encima

Originally posted by DexterMMO

Hey looky looky... so many hate threads but far more positive votes.

Yeah the ragers are more prone to be vocal while people who enjoy the game just sit back and laugh, thinking "Sweet, one less whiner to worry about in chat".

I like the game but:

What you typed is bull**%. Have you counted the fanboy posts and wounded attacks?

100 users poll is nothing in comparison to tens of milions of mmo players.

Wow has 12 mil subscribers so it is the best and better than TOR?

.. and last but not least: We are in the TOR forum. Try to do a similar poll in say GW2 forum.

With all said I still think is solid game but pls STOP with advertising

No, Encima is correct. The ragers and negative powers on MMORPG.com start all the game sucks and worst ever posts ( Especially, in this case, the GW2 fanboys who feel they need SWTOR to fail for GW2 to succeed...note, I am looking forward to GW2 as well).

What you see is that those that like the game don't start threads like the hate mongers do. They do, however respond.

As a note, there is a golden rule of our society that if someone dislikes something they will share it with 10 others but if someone likes something they might share it with one.

WHY also would I do a SWTOR poll in the GW2 forums. That makes not one lick of sense.  Why not do it if the RIFT or WOW forum then? Makes just as much sense.

To end, as much as I am looking forward to GW2 the rabid fanboys are going to be hugely dissapointed when that realize it is still a MMO, and a game and not a miracle brought down from Heaven.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

My ratings would be:

9 for story

5 for combat / gameplay

5 for graphics / character design

7 for group / world content (granted, I've run no raids so this is early impression)

8 for companions / crew skills

If I could vote on space combat I'd give it a 4. Though admittedly, it's not a big deal to me, I'll probably just skip it altogether. If I could vote solely on non-combat activities and ambiance, I'd give it a 4 as well.

Though with just the above to choose from, I'd give it a 7 overall... While that doesn't make it "just my kind of MMO" it's good enough to at least play a character (or probably two) to the cap. More than I can say about a lot of MMOs.

Originally posted by 41eX

Originally posted by Encima

Originally posted by DexterMMO

Hey looky looky... so many hate threads but far more positive votes.

Yeah the ragers are more prone to be vocal while people who enjoy the game just sit back and laugh, thinking "Sweet, one less whiner to worry about in chat".

I like the game but:

What you typed is bull**%. Have you counted the fanboy posts and wounded attacks?

100 users poll is nothing in comparison to tens of milions of mmo players.

Wow has 12 mil subscribers so it is the best and better than TOR?

.. and last but not least: We are in the TOR forum. Try to do a similar poll in say GW2 forum.

With all said I still think is solid game but pls STOP with advertising!

And what is stopping GW2 fans and others to come here and vote it down? nothing. They come here to start flame wars pretty often so i am sure voting for them would be much easier task.

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

My scores were as followed

5 - this is more due to character creation than graphics

13 days to early access ... can't wait.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Mostly 9's and 8's for me, but a 6 for character design.  We NEED more than 4 body types, especially males.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Robsolf

Mostly 9's and 8's for me, but a 6 for character design.  We NEED more than 4 body types, especially males.

I would argue that we need more than four for both. Some additional variations in body types would have been really nice. The graphics are fine thou. 

• c4viper1c4viper1 Member UncommonPosts: 28

"...haters always gonna hate..."

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

In the beta, story and group content made the game for me. I had quite a few laughs and gasps during the player story and, maybe even more so, multiplayer dialogue. So I gave Story and Group Content high ratings, and the others mediocre-ish.

On early impression, the game overall would get a 7 or an 8 from me.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I prefer stylized graphics personally, so I really liked them.  I would also argue that more body types are needed.  I wanted a bulkier trooper, but that option is just to much.

The voice acting and game presentation are very large improvements for me.  I remember playing rift and everything just felt very samey and bland.  This isnt the case with TOR (for me). 

I didnt get that far in beta, I wanted to save most of the game for me to discover.  But from what I saw, mostly 8s.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Supersoups

And what is stopping GW2 fans and others to come here and vote it down? nothing. They come here to start flame wars pretty often so i am sure voting for them would be much easier task.

Nothing stops them, but most people don't go to forums of games they aren't interested in.  Some do, of course, and some respond to posts that get listed on mmorpg.com's front page, but from what I can tell, most people just stick to the forums of games they like.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

While I don't personally think combat should be rated as high as some of the polls reflect (it really is just more of the 1,2,3,1,4,5 gameplay), I think that it's giving an idea of the general communities feel for the game.  It's funny because all my ratings were on average 1-2 pts lower than the community but I'm still excited for the game.

Beta actually left me feeling LESS worried (even though I only played opposite factions intil the left their first planet so as to not ruin my storyarc).

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

Let me summarize the poll results so far (200+ votes when I write this):

Story: 69.3% voted "Great or better" (8+) and 30.7% voted "Good or worse" (7-)

Combat/Gameplay: 50.4% voted 8+ and 49.6% voted 7-

Graphics/Character Design: 34.1% voted 8+ and 65.9% voted 7-

Group Content/World Content: 54.2% voted 8+ and 45.8% voted 7-

Companions/Crew Skills: 64.8% voted 8+ and 35.2% voted 7-

---------------------------------

As you can see from the numbers, there is a large amount of people, although not a majority, who think that SWTOR is currently not that great. 

We can also see that SWTOR gets high points in Story in Companions/Crew skills categories. Which is what is expected. Far from perfect scores, but nonetheless good ones.

We also see that a majority didn't think the Graphics/Character design was that great. 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Wow.. I voted about a 9 average, as I was very impressed in most areas. It looks like most of the community so far is right around there also. 

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by InFaVilla

As you can see from the numbers, there is a large amount of people, although not a majority, who think that SWTOR is currently not that great. 

We can also see that SWTOR gets high points in Story in Companions/Crew skills categories. Which is what is expected. Far from perfect scores, but nonetheless good ones.

We also see that a majority didn't think the Graphics/Character design was that great. 

Umm.... your review of the review is done is a very poor design. You're saying 7 and under is bad...LOL - You obviously don't like the game and are making your review reflect your personaly opinion... Do you work for Fox news by chance?

• NMStudioNMStudio Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by Praetalus

Umm.... your review of the review is done is a very poor design. You're saying 7 and under is bad...LOL - You obviously don't like the game and are making your review reflect your personaly opinion... Do you work for Fox news by chance?

I was about to post a very similar reply.  This poll shows that the vast majority of those who responded are pleased with the game.  Sure, there's room for improvement, but all of the things they've done right completely make up for the areas where they are lacking.

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

I lol'd at this!

Now try your results again by using an actual middle ground number such as 5 (do believe that is between 1-10) and you will find that your review is completely without basis! And just cause all areas aren't great don't mean much. Cause when I look at that and see the majority of the people are 6-7+ when going from a middle number. It tells alot more then your wanting to go up the grading curve higher then a middle ground. If all numbers were 4-6 then your statements about people not liking it, would have alot more merit!