Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Video Review

@flymolo has posted his first impression video of swtor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1pYeBj4JHM

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

Comments

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484
    When I review a product I do so in comparison to it's competition ... This guy on the other hand seemed to review it next to a game that doesn't exist. Therefore I do not respect or acknowledge his review. If someone says look here at wow, notice how much more fluid this is in a comparable not made up example of what I'm reviewing followed by him liking one over the other. I can respect that. But manifesting expectations that no product of a genre meets is silly.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I see a lot of these impressions popping up.   I haven't seen one yet that isn't just a personal preference piece.  What happened to reviews that take the general gaming public into consideration?  I mean, what is the point? I dont know this guy.  I know very little about what type of gamer he is.  So why should I care what he thinks personally about a video game? 

Id prefer a review where the person steps out of his little bubble and considers other players.  What does this game do that the general public will like?  Does the average gamer play mmos for the cricket sounds and wind blowing in the trees?   

I wish game reviewers would take cues from book, movie,and music reviewers and talk about the themes and objects of a  game instead of what they wish it would be.  We would scoff at a book review if all the reviewer did was say "I wish it was more like this other book" or a movie reviewer that said "this movie would be better if it had the story from the Matrix"

Anyway. I guess its just disappointing that in the realm of video games, personal opinions are considered reviews.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

i liked what he had to say but just dont like how he said it.  I disagree with a lot of points.  Also, a lot of the points he had are irrelevant because he was playing early levels and or was playing a different build.  Like companions, he complains that everyone looks the same but that quickly changes in jusr a few more levels. He says you cna make companin look slightly different but that just isn't true.  Expecially for the humanoid companions.  You can completely change the look of the companion. Also the new patch changes the names of the companion to "your name" companion, so you dont see "mako" all all over the place.

Thats just one example.  Yes on starting planets the weather and planet feel doesn;t change.  But on bigger planets there is weather and night/day changes depending on where you at in the that world.  i know its not a persistant/dynamic weather system but it does change as you move around so it is still imersive.

The impact as far as choices to make big impacts on some quests.  Of course its not going to make a huge impact on every quest.  His arguements against quests is just plain wrong.  I know its opinion but the facts he states about his opinion are wrong.  Running around for one singluar quests? fighting a bunch of people for that singular quest?  Apparently he didn't realize that there are multiple quests that exist in the same place.  i guess while he was explaining how singluar minded the quests are he didn;t see he was racking up kills for the "bonuxs" quest he got as shown being updated on the gameplay he was showing while making this same complaint, utter nonsense.

For the most part its his opinion and you have to respec that, but when you add in his snarky voice into the mix it just seems like he enjoyed misinforming people just to get his point across he doesn;t like the game.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I actually found it to be a good review/impression.  He graded SWTOR well where it succeeded and poorly where it was sub-par. Yes, he gave SWTOR a fairly bad score in the end, but it's not like he just trashed the whole game.  My thoughts were similar to his after I played.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321

I actually found it to be a good review/impression.  He graded SWTOR well where it succeeded and poorly where it was sub-par. Yes, he gave SWTOR a fairly bad score in the end, but it's not like he just trashed the whole game.  My thoughts were similar to his after I played.

So you based your review of it off expectations that no game meets. Noted I'll now review every post of yours based off the ideal post that doesn't exist.

I put the same barrier up towards anyone who reviews any game as preposterously. Maybe reviews should be changed too IMO's if all they do is project what should of been.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

That guy seems fairly knowledgeable, and definitely gave a fairly in-depth review, but he misrepresented a lot of stuff about the game.  I completely disagree with his view of questing being terrible, and I think he certainly misrepresented the PvP (only focused on Huttball, but at least he graded accordingly since he didn't have much experience with it), the choices in your story (he chose one example of a story where the choices all led to the same path, but not every quest is like that. There are many examples of the conversation, and even the quest itself, changing based on your choice, even though the end result is usually the same), the customization of your companions (which you can do IMMEDIATELY after getting them with the kits you get to choose from, making them look different from others), and the fact that he didn't actually even grade two of the bigger elements of the game---class design and crafting.  

He made some good points, but he didn't give this game a fair shake at all based on his limited time playing it.  

Originally posted by DexterMMO

So you based your review of it off expectations that no game meets. Noted I'll now review every post of yours based off the ideal post that doesn't exist. I put the same barrier up towards anyone who reviews any game as preposterously.

Well it's not my review, but that aside...

What expectations?  I read your post before watching the review so I was actually looking out for these expectations that you wrote about, but didn't see them.  Can you let me know how you felt he was unfair?

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

pretty spot on and pretty much how I felt when playing this game.. funny is lot of people have said the same thing but when you say things like he says in a review without and video to reference you can easily say they are just bashing the game for no reason. He gives good visual examples of all his points and shows why he has these points.. It's a pretty decent game with many many flaws that should not be there in this day in age of MMOs and with a budget they had

just to add what I said to early,  here's a quote from the video

"Although you get teh abiltiy to change the look of your companion A BIT, But jsut not enough"

I bolded a bit because again his snarky voice just irrates me.

Anyways at just one vendor i could make Mako look like anything from a blonde white women to a black hair black womed.  that was just from one vendor for one type of currency. Theres tons others in the game from other vendors for otehr currency and from questing and BW announced theres tons being implemented all the time.

Again, its not his fault because he obviously didn;t researcht eh game outside the 10 levels he played in one weekend.  but he is backing his opinion up with mis information he is stating as fact.

Originally posted by jerlot65

just to add what I said to early,  here's a quote from the video

"Although you get teh abiltiy to change the look of your companion A BIT, But jsut not enough"

I bolded a bit because again his snarky voice just irrates me.

I don't mean to be presumptive, but when you say something like this, it just makes you look extremely bias.  You're acting almost as if you had worked on this game.

As a consumer, why would you care if his voice "sounded snarky?"  You make it sound like he's insulting your child or something.

Originally posted by sanosukex

revew is pretty spot on and pretty much how I felt when playing this game.. funny is lot of people have said the same thing but when you say things like he says in a review without and video to reference you can easily say they are just bashing the game for no reason. He gives good visual examples of all his points and shows why he has these points.. It's a pretty decent game with many many flaws that should not be there in this day in age of MMOs and with a budget they had

The thing is most of the video is proving him wrong rather then right.  He stated "while most games give you mutlple quests ina an are, SWTOR gives you one singluar quest in an area where you fight pointless mobs to finally reach your single objective".  Yet in the video not only does he ave muteiple quests up in the same area, but he has a bonus objective being updated from the supposedly "pointless mobs" he is killing while stating all of this.

Then a little before that he complains about walking all over for this singular quest, yet all we see is him fighting the same mmobs he needs for that quest on his way to the final objective, its actually hilarious.

• carthaccarthac Member UncommonPosts: 16

to me his review was garbage.  Like others said he played 1 round of huttbal and complained there was no story to it but really what story can there be.  your playing a pro sport with death and carnage...are we supposed to see a story that involves you playing this sport to support your dying mothers crack addiction.  Come on really...if you want some story play the other 2 BG's that did have a story.  He is upset cause his BH and every other BH had mako but the way i see it is that SWTOR is a game that makes it actually feel like you are slowly changing the galaxy around you through your good or evil deeds so in that aspect maybe mako will play a huge role in that therefor each story needs mako...she is a pivitol character just like i felt kaliyo was on my agent.  

he is mad cause creatures dont path around huge areas but only few cases in ANY mmo do that and it is usually characters that are rare or boss-like.  in WoW you will find sylvanus in the same spot everyday always for the duration of her time there.  Also i liked the graphics...they do the graphics like that so more folks can play and enjoy the game with decent looking toons on low end comps.  Rift was ugly to me and the most boring grindy game ever and wow is the same way....in wow you dont even need to do quests anymore cause you just random dungeon que over and over and over and over.  Questing the SWTOR was fun and the story rocks.

So you based your review of it off expectations that no game meets. Noted I'll now review every post of yours based off the ideal post that doesn't exist. I put the same barrier up towards anyone who reviews any game as preposterously.

Well it's not my review, but that aside...

What expectations?  I read your post before watching the review so I was actually looking out for these expectations that you wrote about, but didn't see them.  Can you let me know how you felt he was unfair?

On my phone not at a pc but I'll give a few points I disagree with. The base... A review should be in comparison to similar titles or direct comptition other wise it's just a IMO piece. The ui: how is this so horrible and in comparison to what other ui? Wow or aoc mods? Ui functions, doesn't crash and I never got an error from it so seems like a IMO aspect not a review. He also mistakes environment for AI. And based his review of horrible "AI" off the tutorial.... Horrible compared to what? Works just as good as wow with better visuals IMO. What game has long respawn timers? What game has AI that patrol go home, cook meals, dress their kids for school then go back to patrolling. Let me know what mmo that is cause I'm on board! Questing... Really it's bad? Compared to what?

That's all I want to know if everything Swtor is bad where's the example of it done right?byou don't review off fairytales you review off things that exist and how it compares.

Originally posted by jerlot65

revew is pretty spot on and pretty much how I felt when playing this game.. funny is lot of people have said the same thing but when you say things like he says in a review without and video to reference you can easily say they are just bashing the game for no reason. He gives good visual examples of all his points and shows why he has these points.. It's a pretty decent game with many many flaws that should not be there in this day in age of MMOs and with a budget they had

The thing is most of the video is proving him wrong rather then right.  He stated "while most games give you mutlple quests ina an are, SWTOR gives you one singluar quest in an area where you fight pointless mobs to finally reach your single objective".  Yet in the video not only does he ave muteiple quests up in the same area, but he has a bonus objective being updated from the supposedly "pointless mobs" he is killing while stating all of this.

Then a little before that he complains about walking all over for this singular quest, yet all we see is him fighting the same mmobs he needs for that quest on his way to the final objective, its actually hilarious.

thats really the only point in his whole review i found a little off. I do agree about how boring it is to walk from place to place al ot of the time even if you have 10 quests in the same area.. The world is just so dead

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Great review!

As for the comments and opinions here:

It's pretty simple, this guy proves all of his points with actual in game footage that shows each point he's trying to make.  Everyone, every review, i've seen that claims this game is the next best thing since sliced bread, has yet to prove it or back it up with anything other than opinions and walls of text.

SHOW us how the graphics are so amazing. 

SHOW us how the story actually matters.

SHOW us how combat is complex and enjoyable. 

SHOW us how multiplayer really matters and makes a difference.

I've played beta myself and I agree with a majority of the somewhat negative reviews, and all the people trolling and flaming about how they're wrong have yet to back those opinions up with anything.

Originally posted by Painlezz

Great review!

As for the comments and opinions here:

It's pretty simple, this guy proves all of his points with actual in game footage that shows each point he's trying to make.  Everyone, every review, i've seen that claims this game is the next best thing since sliced bread, has yet to prove it or back it up with anything other than opinions and walls of text.

SHOW us how the graphics are so amazing. 

SHOW us how the story actually matters.

SHOW us how combat is complex and enjoyable. 

SHOW us how multiplayer really matters and makes a difference.

I've played beta myself and I agree with a majority of the somewhat negative reviews, and all the people trolling and flaming about how they're wrong have yet to back those opinions up with anything.

100% agree this is why I never did an in depth review cause without real evidence its just an opinion although a lot of people are still saying its only opinion even with video evidence...honestly before FFXIV was released people were on there forums claiming it was the best thing since sliced bread so yea(although at least this game is mostly a complete functional game unlike FFXIV)....

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

Originally posted by carthac

to me his review was garbage.  Like others said he played 1 round of huttbal and complained there was no story to it but really what story can there be.  your playing a pro sport with death and carnage...are we supposed to see a story that involves you playing this sport to support your dying mothers crack addiction.  Come on really...if you want some story play the other 2 BG's that did have a story.  He is upset cause his BH and every other BH had mako but the way i see it is that SWTOR is a game that makes it actually feel like you are slowly changing the galaxy around you through your good or evil deeds so in that aspect maybe mako will play a huge role in that therefor each story needs mako...she is a pivitol character just like i felt kaliyo was on my agent.  

he is mad cause creatures dont path around huge areas but only few cases in ANY mmo do that and it is usually characters that are rare or boss-like.  in WoW you will find sylvanus in the same spot everyday always for the duration of her time there.  Also i liked the graphics...they do the graphics like that so more folks can play and enjoy the game with decent looking toons on low end comps.  Rift was ugly to me and the most boring grindy game ever and wow is the same way....in wow you dont even need to do quests anymore cause you just random dungeon que over and over and over and over.  Questing the SWTOR was fun and the story rocks.

Didn't he give pvp, companions, and graphics high scores?

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

Originally posted by Joarnaj

sure did VERY HIGH actually, higher than Id give them.. I don't think these people actually listened to his review

• SoCalBoomerSoCalBoomer Member Posts: 1

When I review a product I do so in comparison to it's competition ... This guy on the other hand seemed to review it next to a game that doesn't exist. Therefore I do not respect or acknowledge his review. If someone says look here at wow, notice how much more fluid this is in a comparable not made up example of what I'm reviewing followed by him liking one over the other. I can respect that. But manifesting expectations that no product of a genre meets is silly.

I RARELY ever post on here, but this post irritated me so I'm gonna. :D

Dexter - a review of a game doesn't mean it's a comparison. So that's how YOU review a game - it's not how a lot of people do it and, honestly, it shouldn't be how it's done. Should not a game stand on its own two feet? Bioware touts this game as the be-all and end-all of MMOs so why should it be reviewed in comparison to WoW? 

So your respect of him is based on his not reviewing the way you would do it? Okay.

I found it pretty straightforward and in accord with several other reviews I've either read or seen. Very linear questing is bad in an MMO; persistent and non-interactive spawns is bad in a modern MMO; poor communication system is bad in a modern MMO; a non-customizeable UI should be unforgiveable in a modern PC based MMO. Really, where's the argument in that? 

Okay, back into invisibility! :D

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Joarnaj

sure did VERY HIGH actually, higher than Id give them.. I don't think these people actually listened to his review

Considering he didn't play very much and the review was based around starter worlds mostly,  he shouldn't have given a lot of the scores he did, to be honest.   It looks like he tried a few different characters but didn't level them very far.... he even mentioned that he wasn't sure about things like.. quest objectivess (which he is wrong about, you do get different rewards as you progress) and so on.

He basically did a complex review of the tutorial...  I give his review a C   

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Considering he didn't play very much and the review was based around starter worlds mostly,  he shouldn't have given a lot of the scores he did, to be honest.   It looks like he tried a few different characters but didn't level them very far.... he even mentioned that he wasn't sure about things like.. quest objectivess (which he is wrong about, you do get different rewards as you progress) and so on.

he says that right at the start its mostly a "first impression" review geez did you people really even listen to what he said? the title of the video is even

SWTOR First Impressions

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

he says that right at the start its mostly a "first impression" review geez did you people really even listen to what he said? the title of the video is even

SWTOR First Impressions

I listened to what he said, did you?  He stated with the amount of playing time he logged in game, his video was between a "preview and a review."  That simply isn't true.  He never made it out of the starter zones.  And how do you just leave entire systems out of your rating altogether (crafting and character progression) as well as only do one Huttball review for PvP?  That's not a review, it's a preview.  And to say, "It's not a very good game" after only playing 9-10 levels?  He misrepresented.  Period.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Opinions are like assholes, you know the rest. I could easily run the same video and overdub his commentary for mine and i could point out that all his negatives and low grades were high for me and all his high grades were also high for me.

I must of been in a coma and just woke up to the reality that everyone on this planet is now a critic and their word on every subject should be taken as the gospel truth. Hey, you don't like the game, don't buy it don't play it, it's really that simple.

There will never be the so called perfect game to satisfy every person that plays mmorpg's. This statement is a fact and undeniable. For me, this is as close to a perfect SW/mmorpg game that i have seen yet. I could care less about all the bullshit that some of you care about. Oh, the lighting on that hill is not shadowy enough, wow, the environment sucks. I could go on and on with so many other stupid nonsense that some of you spew for a month.

On the other hand, not does, but can, the game expand on core systems to make them more robust. Of course, the answer is yes. Things like character creation, space combat, UI and other things can be tweaked and modified through patches and such.

Let's take a step back. TOR is one of the most polished and complete games ever to launch. It has more content and things to do in a game that i've ever seen. All these things that some of you bitch about are personal preferences. When i read someone say, this sucks or that sucks, what really is being said is that, this sucks for me and it's not how i like it to be.

So, i just gave my opinion, you agree or don't. For me, it;s gold, for some other's it is shit. It's all personal taste.

Originally posted by Biggus99

SWTOR First Impressions

I listened to what he said, did you?  He stated with the amount of playing time he logged in game, his video was between a "preview and a review."  That simply isn't true.  He never made it out of the starter zones.  And how do you just leave entire systems out of your rating altogether (crafting and character progression) as well as only do one Huttball review for PvP?  That's not a review, it's a preview.  He misrepresented.

wrong listen to the opening he said its "somewhere BETWEEN a first impression and a review" no where does he says its a complete review or even a first impression of every feature of the game not even close. Either way no one has given any real evidence disputing any points he made

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

SWTOR First Impressions

I sure did notice it was a "first impression"  which makes me wonder why responses like Painlezz up there saying we don't show him how the combat is strategic, complex, or enjoyable.... or that the story actually matters, etc.  as if the video actually, in some way did.

Its a review of the starter worlds...    which I also found a few things interesting.. such as him moving the chat box around a lot,  complaining about the ability bar on the left being covered.. but,  he chose to put that ability bar there,  he also chose to put skills on that ability bar while his middle bar wasn't even used,  nor did he use the bar on the right side  (or even the secondary bar which was disabled.      

All I'm saying, is that, while he did an okay job,  it in no way signifies what everyone should expect when playing.