Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Blizzard CEO's Statements Rain on EA's Parade

Comments

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Now, I'm not a big fan of SWTOR, and probably won't last long past the first month, but it's not horrible.  PLUS, does this guy not understand the power of the Star Wars IP?  I'm sure FOX studios isn't complaining about it's long standing deal with Lucasarts for the past 25 years or so and I think the movie's "economics" helped them out pretty well.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

WoW will always be the best WoW. You can dress your clone up with lightsabers and stormtrooper suits, but people aren't going stay longer than it takes Blizzard to release another expansion.

• albaficassalbaficass Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by MrBoots

WoW will always be the best WoW. You can dress your clone up with lightsabers and stormtrooper suits, but people aren't going stay longer than it takes Blizzard to release another expansion.

funny i played just a beta of swtor and 5 years of wow and i can tell already that swtor is in every sinlge way better.

do me a favor now..go back to your 1 pixel game and dont bother with your pathetic trolling attempt it doesnt work. your precious wow is dying deal with it...loosing each month more than 70k subs without been able to covering its a matter of time wow will officialy be dead.

And stop mention diablo 3...diablo 3 is not an mmo its a hack n slash - rpg game with an mutliplayer add on

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Kotick is a royal arse that pretty much every gamer should hate.....

At the same time, he's probably not wrong that Lucas is taking a pretty large bite out of the proffits for TOR..... but that certainly doesn't mean that TOR can't or won't be proffiitable... it just raises the bar on the volume of sales that TOR has to have in order to get a good return....just like the size of the budget that went into developing TOR did. In other words, EA is "swinging for the fences" with TOR rather then "hitting for contact".

I was mildly surprised that Bioware didn't use one of thier own IP's for thier first MMO (ME or DA) as both are pretty well established at this point, especialy with Bioware's fan base. The wouldn't have gotten the Star Wars fan base, but they wouldn't have had to deal with the licensing for the the IP.  It would have been a more conservative play.....but they decided for the high risk/high reward route instead. Will be interesting to see how well it pans out for them in the long run.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

What did he say that was not true?

LA will make the killing with this game no matter how the subs are in a year.  Why it is hard to deal with these huge IP's. The deals all start with the IP holder getting the lion share of profits and being able to stick their hands into the mix and dictate how they want the game to be, no matter if it will make the game better or not.

As to stock prices and stock market in general.  Just a big gambling scam:) 

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

This guy is doing damage control... that's all that this is...

Seriously, LucasArts is going to take a cut?  No shit sherlock.  But unless you work at BioWare and know what they negotiated into the contract, how can you possibly know how much of a cut, or how that will impact BioWare/EA?

And who even cares?  If somebody offered me 10% of $1 million dollars, or 1% of $1 billiion, I'd be just fine with the 1% thank you very much!  And that's what George Lucas brings to the table - his IP makes the "pie" so much bigger, that even a smaller slice is still well worth it... 

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

The only thing that will hurt this games profits is if they shut down. This is one of the biggest IP's in the world. They've probably already made their investment back just from pre-orders alone. If not, the second months subscriptions will do it. Never underestimate Star Wars. Its not WoW but it doesn't have to be, its Star Wars. 

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Heheh, of course he's worried.  500k subscribers to SWTOR? Keep going...

I remember EQ,back in the day with it's ultimate 1.5 million subscribers losing over 1 million to WoW....and that was before anyone saw the numbers Blizzard reached.

I think that the numbers lost won't be in the thousands, but in the millions.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Scalebane

Originally posted by lizardbones

Blizzard shares are down 5.5% and EA's shares are up 27%. It's not a stretch to think that players aren't the only things Blizzard might be losing to EA. This is how corporations compete when they can't compete on the merits of their products.

MW3 sold so many copies EA could only hope to ever have a game sell as well, but since kotek has no say over what Blizzard does its funny he's even talking.

http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/weekly.php

here's a chart you can see MW3's total sales per system, i really doubt they can't compete with EA the destroyer of game companies.

I was referring to the mmorpg market. Activision's value is so tied to WoW's performance, it's not funny (if you're an investor). If WoW actually tanked, Activision's stock would take a major hit. If WoW tanked at the same time as SW:ToR became a hit, it would be even worse. It doesn't matter that MW3 sells 4* times as many copies as BF3.

* That number is going to get bigger.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head here.  Activisions major money makers are WoW and CoD and with WoW in decline and CoD simply recycling, Activision needs to figure something out before its too late.

• Nebula131Nebula131 Member Posts: 22

omg..no one at bioware/ea could know of this because lucas arts is not known for treasuring its license and also its the first star wars game published by them...

uhm

no wait...

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Dude is just scared shitless because Activision/Blizzard stocks took a hit and their investors are getting worried. All he was trying to say was that in the business end of mmo's there's only one company that can turn huge profits and that was them. The dude is dillusional.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Sounds like a sore loser while the game hasn't even started yet.

Appropriate gif:

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by TookyG

Originally posted by Garkan

Anyone into stock markets happen to know why EAs stock is worth twice as much as Activisions and what that means for both companies?

For the end consumer it means about the same as the price difference between Apple (~$375) and Microsoft (~$25) stock:  Nothing.

It proves that the people running the stock market are total idiots and need to be replaced or taught somethings.  Apple makes such horrible products.  They're cheaply made, usually breaking so often you go buy another because it's "Apple" and Apple makes twice the money of let's say Samsung who's products last for years and cost less.  It may be different now, but I bought an original iPhone when they first came out.  I never had so much trouble with a phone.  I had to get the attenae replaced, it was malfunctioning, touchscreen stopped working, after about 8 months the battery life went to about an hour of standby, went through two batteries all within the 2 years.  As soon as my contract was up, I switched to a Samsung phone and didn't have a SINGLE problem, not even a dropped call.  I'm a pretty clumsy guy, and I dropped my iPhone one time and it had to be replaced, the screen cracked right in half, and that was on CARPET.  I've dropped my newest Samsung galaxy 2 several times, even on concrete, the only thing you'll notice is a couple of paint chips on the corners that it hit, which you still can't see until you get upclose since the underlayment is black as the paint is too.  So if we're going to put stock market numbers against company product, Apple is at $375, Samsung should be over $1,000,000.  Stocks are irrelevant.

Edit: And I didn't even mention the fact that Apple comes out with underpowered and overpriced products every 3 months...the iPhone 4 still can only run one app at a time....horrible.  You buy the top of the line Apple, and it's way outdated in 3 months when they release the new model.  There's been more than 4 models of the iPhone, there's been probably like 50-60.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Maybe he is just bitter because bioware make better games than blizzard! boooommmm

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Gravarg

Originally posted by TookyG

Originally posted by Garkan

Anyone into stock markets happen to know why EAs stock is worth twice as much as Activisions and what that means for both companies?

For the end consumer it means about the same as the price difference between Apple (~$375) and Microsoft (~$25) stock:  Nothing.

It proves that the people running the stock market are total idiots and need to be replaced or taught somethings.  Apple makes such horrible products.  They're cheaply made, usually breaking so often you go buy another because it's "Apple" and Apple makes twice the money of let's say Samsung who's products last for years and cost less.  It may be different now, but I bought an original iPhone when they first came out.  I never had so much trouble with a phone.  I had to get the attenae replaced, it was malfunctioning, touchscreen stopped working, after about 8 months the battery life went to about an hour of standby, went through two batteries all within the 2 years.  As soon as my contract was up, I switched to a Samsung phone and didn't have a SINGLE problem, not even a dropped call.  I'm a pretty clumsy guy, and I dropped my iPhone one time and it had to be replaced, the screen cracked right in half, and that was on CARPET.  I've dropped my newest Samsung galaxy 2 several times, even on concrete, the only thing you'll notice is a couple of paint chips on the corners that it hit, which you still can't see until you get upclose since the underlayment is black as the paint is too.  So if we're going to put stock market numbers against company product, Apple is at $375, Samsung should be over $1,000,000.  Stocks are irrelevant.

Edit: And I didn't even mention the fact that Apple comes out with underpowered and overpriced products every 3 months...the iPhone 4 still can only run one app at a time....horrible.  You buy the top of the line Apple, and it's way outdated in 3 months when they release the new model.  There's been more than 4 models of the iPhone, there's been probably like 50-60.

Apple make cheap crappy products but their products have become fashion accessories, all the cool kids have an iphone so i must get one too, thats the mentality that drives the market,

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

As much time as I spend in my life with mmos, its funny how little time I spend learning about developers or employees if you will.  I know there are alot of threads that talk about it alot but I havent ever goton involved really.  The world isnt really that pritty of a place from where I stand at the moment and I think alot of developers consider there jobs work and not play sorta so I just stick out of it, its none of my business. 

Anyone rambling on, not making any sence but I really think SWTOR is a good masterpeace of mmo, just like Van Gough a good painter, its an acheivement that will be a good addition into mmo world.  Is it perfect, from what I played its close. 

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by nttajira

-1 for wow subcriber

im switching to swtor

he just mad that many people like me will leave wow for the better game 

seriously wow graphic are dated and look ugly and the game almost DONE for everyone

just need instance and raid added each couple months .

and no thx to the panda shit .

Leaving WoW for SWTOR and then saying WoWs graphics look dated just doesnt make sense.  SWTOR has very mediocregraphics itself (which is fine, and maybe even preferred, for an MMO)

But then your last sentence sums it up I guess.  

• Tyvolus1Tyvolus1 Member Posts: 815

I think the execs at Blizz should be more concerned why gamers such as myself, who had been playing Blizz games since 1996 have written the company off and no longer spend time/money on their products.  

oh and for the record, no I will not be playing SWTOR.  lol.

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

An EA report to investors a few months ago was shown on one of the websites (Darth Hater I believe). It stated that EA/Bioware will recieve ALL sales, retail box and digital, from the sale of SWTOR and LucasArts will recieve 30% of subs income. This indicates to me that this is a long term investment in the future of SWTOR. I do not believe that LucasArts put in their money into EA/Bioware. The estimated outlay was reported to be in the area of 80 million by EA. The retail/digital sales should recoup their investment and provide a steady profit for the immediate future while LucasArts gets the cash and advertisement audience for their intellectual property. A good solid business arrangement thouroughly vetted by some very savvy folks who are probably not spending much time on forums. Professional businessmen and women who do this sort of thing for a living.

As for the game, SWTOR BETA was CROWDED with players. Success will be determined over a period of time of course and my bet is on SUCCESS, player and financier. Win win!

• camil82camil82 Member UncommonPosts: 50

well Blizzard are complaning because they are losing their player base and they will continue to lose more players thats the fact and they cant do nothing about it, so they are looking for some oe any excuses.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Licensing costs money? Who knew!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Bobby Kotick isn't exactly known for being a bastion of intelligence.

Nuff said.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

i agree. he is just trying to throw out some slander because he knows he is about to take a hit. Not to mention that this is the first game that may actually hurt his sales, well between SWTOR and Rift

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by garry

An EA report to investors a few months ago was shown on one of the websites (Darth Hater I believe). It stated that EA/Bioware will recieve ALL sales, retail box and digital, from the sale of SWTOR and LucasArts will recieve 30% of subs income. This indicates to me that this is a long term investment in the future of SWTOR. I do not believe that LucasArts put in their money into EA/Bioware. The estimated outlay was reported to be in the area of 80 million by EA. The retail/digital sales should recoup their investment and provide a steady profit for the immediate future while LucasArts gets the cash and advertisement audience for their intellectual property. A good solid business arrangement thouroughly vetted by some very savvy folks who are probably not spending much time on forums. Professional businessmen and women who do this sort of thing for a living.

As for the game, SWTOR BETA was CROWDED with players. Success will be determined over a period of time of course and my bet is on SUCCESS, player and financier. Win win!

It's a single player game bro, didn't you know?

That's why on Sunday morning when everyone was in, every single server in the list was at FULL. Every last one of them, and there were what? Twenty or twenty five beta servers?

I've been involved with every mmorpg beta that has taken place in the last decade, minus maybe one or two, and I have never once seen a following this heavy for any of them. SWTOR is attracting people the same way WoW did when it came out, and that is what most people never consider: that when WoW came out, it wasn't anything exceptionally innovative either, it just refined features the genre already had, and polished the living hell out of the client post-launch.

Bioware isn't as stupid as some people seem to believe, quite the contrary.

Seems like a positive sign to me, I honestly can't believe some people actually think otherwise, but those that do are in for a rude awakening indeeed come launch time and the first year of the game's lifespan.