Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lack of world PvP and hefty price tag make me say no :(

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

I ordered from Amazon it was like 37 pounds if I am not mistaken. Plus what does Bioware have to do with Mythic ? They might both be at EA but Bioware had nothing to do with Warhammer. You need to check your facts before you post wild things.

Sorry don't get mad but past tense of throw is threw. You think things through not threw. It is abilities not abilitys ; queue and not que. 

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by Mackeh

<snip>

Sorry, but that is the new standard price for games. The biggest titles of the year, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Starcraft 2, etc, all have a suggested retail price of 60 dollars for the PC and SWTOR is no different. Also, I need to ask, what level did you get to?

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I was speaking to one of the guildmates I was a regualr with and she (maybe he) said they had gone to oneof the PvP lakes to check it out. There weren't a lot of folks there so it was easy to cruise around.

Basically what I got was that the open PvP was not what he/she had hoped for but it wasn't a game breaker.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Yes I have priced game for the last 10 years, let me give you some release day prices as you seem totally out of touch.

Rift £29.99

Skyrim £29.99

Battlefield 3 £29.99

Assassins Creed £29.99

SWTOR £39.99 yes £39.99

Source www.game.co.uk

I believe I have just pwnd you sir :)

As for the world pvp, well yes ofc I was on a World PvP server, am hardly going to roll on a PvE server and then complain about lack of world PvP now am I lol.

one shop lol.

SWTOR varies between £32 and £50 depening on site hell if you got lucky you could even get it for £19.99 when amazon first listed it and you ordered it before they realised mistake.

BF3 on Origin was £35.99 it was £39.99 at nuermous other sites I got it on amazon for £32.50

COD varied between £25 and £45 depending on store.

You cant only use 1 store as an example of pricing.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by kishe

Originally posted by MMORPGtester

PvP in this game was done very bad, In my own opinion.

First your limited on places for your ability and customizing your layout. The GUI needs ALLOT of work for pvp.

Second: When I was in the arena, battles seemed very clunky, choppy, slow, and well. BAD. Control sucks.

Third: the arena itself this hut ball or what ever. I personally hate it! I know there are others, but others take more people. And no one will que because they don't like this hut ball.

You see in this game you can't select what arena you want there random, BIG fail. IMO

Also they need to take in consideration later on end game, people will start to make premade groups. People who join solo are not going to want to play Vs these groups. So there arena will die.

I feel they put to much time and money into the voiceover in this game. The graphics are good, so most people will be able to run this as well. but I don't see any end game here, unless you like to PvE and or farm. But for what? this PvP sucks, IMO

Another note: Sorry Lucas you picked a BAD developer here, look what they did to warhammer. such a shame.

PS: I'v been in the MMO gen since EQ days. You name it I'v played it. This one is not the worst, but by far the best.

"will not be pre-Ordering this one like all others" To much work needs done. Conan has better PvP =X

EDIT: Oh ya, Also the boost to players levels so they are all even is a BIG fail. people with higher levels have more abilitys. They need to think these things threw, honestly.

To be fair, Bioware had nothing to do with Warhammer.

I think he means.. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/641/Warhammer-Online-Wrath-of-Heroes.html 

The official site (bottom left) https://wrathofheroes.warhammeronline.com/ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by mrxennon

Think we have to accept that this is first and foremost aPvE game, its been said before countless times, you cannot produce a good hybrid to cater for both. Its either PvP or PvE.  I'll be playing purely for the PvE, my PvP will be with Battlefield 3 and when it arrives GW2.

DAOC did a pretty good job delivering both a PVP and PVE experience, though the PVE side was weaker.

But I agree, you have to pick your focus and stick with it and one side will suffer unfortunately.

Surprised at the OP though, there's been some other poster's here who have raved about the open world PVP they got engaged in, I guess your experience may vary.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

what does clunky combat mean, mine is fluid and the animation is great.

and you can go do world pvp. I have to admit, I loved vanilla wows pvp. Instead of BG they should of just had contested areas in the game. I loved some of the battles in Ashenvale and the Barrens

• gimmekeygimmekey Member Posts: 117

Yet another opinion made by a gamer who barely played  and gripes about clunky feel with his "barely runs WoW" computer. Let's not forget the HEFTY price tag which is no more than 10 dollars within the range of most other AAA titles. 

Another highly appreciated contribution to the human knowledge pool.  Bravo.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I enjoyed the Beta, it was immersive the quests were very good and I loved playing the Trooper but I won't be playing on launch as it will get boring for me very fast.  I also will not pay £40 for a subscription based game when we all know it will be £5 in a few months.

Sadly for Bioware who have clearly put huge effort into this game I predict a mass exodus after 3 months.  Once you have tried a few of the classes and played through the story there is very little sandbox to keep PvP players involved.

WARNING I AM ABOUT TO MENTION A GAME THAT CAUSES SOME PEOPLE TO CRY

When I played WOW for 5 or 6 years it was not the story or the quests that kept me playing, it was the ability to create my own adventures with the amazing world PvP that the game offered.  Yes I know it's dreadful now which is why I left during WOTLK but anyone who played vanilla and BC will know what I mean. 

In SWTOR there is very little crossover between factions, you simply don't run into the enemy players, it's designed with PvE in mind, you can tell by the zone layouts and the lack of PvP contested questing areas.  If my guild wanted to go attacking enemy towns and cities it would be very hard to do so as the game layout is all catering for PvE. 

I found levelling up very safe and boring as far as PvP was concerned, I never got ganked once, never even saw a sith and I was talking to other people even higher level than me and they never saw one either, this was on a full server with a 40 minute queue.

All you have if you are a PvP player is the battlegrounds and they are horrible in any MMO tbh but in SWTOR they take on a whole new level of crap.  Huttball?  WTF?  American Football?  Are they taking the piss?  Why would anyone outside of America want to play this shocking game, especially in a combat MMO. 

If I were a PvE star wars fan from America I would buy it.... but I am a PvP star wars fan from England so am not :)

Sorry you have to be joking if you think world PvP in WoW was any thing close to be decent, which it wasnt.  The PvP in WoW was horrible and consisted of getting ganked while questing, or worse nothing going on at all.  Your argument lacks merit based on this faulty assumption. 

There is from my understanding Illum which is world PvP 24/7 in its own world where msot of the big boys will congregate.  And some PvP lakes on high level worlds.  Sorry getting ganked or ganking newbies is not my idea of world PvP so I suggest you go back to World of Pandas and all its carebear mechanics.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

Originally posted by I_Return

When you select a server, there is  lettering.. PVE or PVP. One type is a player versus environemnt, the other is player versus player. IF you are trying to pvp on a pve server, you could have issue like the ones you listed. Hope that helps yah ! See you in game !

I rolled on a PvP server, am not stupid ffs

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by MMORPGtester

PvP in this game was done very bad, In my own opinion.

First your limited on places for your ability and customizing your layout. The GUI needs ALLOT of work for pvp.

Second: When I was in the arena, battles seemed very clunky, choppy, slow, and well. BAD. Control sucks.

Third: the arena itself this hut ball or what ever. I personally hate it! I know there are others, but others take more people. And no one will que because they don't like this hut ball.

You see in this game you can't select what arena you want there random, BIG fail. IMO

Also they need to take in consideration later on end game, people will start to make premade groups. People who join solo are not going to want to play Vs these groups. So there arena will die.

I feel they put to much time and money into the voiceover in this game. The graphics are good, so most people will be able to run this as well. but I don't see any end game here, unless you like to PvE and or farm. But for what? this PvP sucks, IMO

Another note: Sorry Lucas you picked a BAD developer here, look what they did to warhammer. such a shame.

PS: I'v been in the MMO gen since EQ days. You name it I'v played it. This one is not the worst, but by far the best.

"will not be pre-Ordering this one like all others" To much work needs done. Conan has better PvP =X

EDIT: Oh ya, Also the boost to players levels so they are all even is a BIG fail. people with higher levels have more abilitys. They need to think these things threw, honestly.

First: You really don't have limited places for your skills/spells/medpacks/whatever else you need in your bar, and if you feel that you need more than 2,  you can get 2 more on the either side of your screen. 

Second: I agree with this mostly, they do seem kind of clunky, but not slow at all. The controls for Huttball take getting used to, 2 matches maybe 3 at most, but that's not the only type of Warzone in the game, and their controls are really easy, walk up to the thing and right click on it. 

Third: "Sorry lucas you picked a BAD Developer here"? Have you not played KOTOR or Mass Effect?

PS: I've also been playing MMO's since the EQ days, name it, and i've most likely played it. "This one is not the worst, but by far the best." I agree, it is a pretty good game, well rounded, ect. AoC does not have better PvP than SWTOR, not by far. 

EDIT: I really need more coffee.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Sorry you have to be joking if you think world PvP in WoW was any thing close to be decent, which it wasnt.  The PvP in WoW was horrible and consisted of getting ganked while questing, or worse nothing going on at all.  Your argument lacks merit based on this faulty assumption. 

There is from my understanding Illum which is world PvP 24/7 in its own world where msot of the big boys will congregate.  And some PvP lakes on high level worlds.  Sorry getting ganked or ganking newbies is not my idea of world PvP so I suggest you go back to World of Pandas and all its carebear mechanics.

Yes I spent many a happy night PvPing in the world of Azeroth.  My whole guild would take over an enemy town and wait for their max level army to come and liberate it, this would generally take up 3 or 4 hours of play.  Vice versa they would do the same to us.

We used to blockage dungeons before Blizzard added the teleport to dungeon bullcrap, it was great, you would get huge battles outside dungoens as they were forced to bring in reinforcements just to clear a path.  Then there was the grand opening of that dungeon in that zone next to Un Goro (it's a year since I played wow, am a little rusty) but anyway that dungeon that only opened when your faction had gathered enough mats to open it.  One person was chosen from the enemy faction to open the dungeon, hundreds of people turned up to watch the event and our guild ganked him just before it was opened. :) This caused all hell to break lose, great times, all made up by our actions, none of them were quests.  WOW was amazing back then, a great sandbox world but cry babys like you spoilt it with your constant whining of being ganked then eventually Blizzard changed it all.  RIP WOW.

So don't even dare say WOW sucked at world PvP, no game has even come close to emulating the great epic player made battles of Vanilla wow.  Show me another game where hundreds of people would gather and attack the enemy factions home capital city for no reward other than bragging rights?

Originally posted by grunt187

Yes I have priced game for the last 10 years, let me give you some release day prices as you seem totally out of touch.

Rift £29.99

Skyrim £29.99

Battlefield 3 £29.99

Assassins Creed £29.99

SWTOR £39.99 yes £39.99

Source www.game.co.uk

As for the world pvp, well yes ofc I was on a World PvP server, am hardly going to roll on a PvE server and then complain about lack of world PvP now am I lol.

LAWL those arnt the christams sales are they? this,and this,what about this. Pwned?what are you 13?

No they are not in the sale, they are everyday prices.  If you look you will see that SWTOR is £39.99 on the same site, sorry to prove you wrong again.  :)

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

WOW was amazing back then, a great sandbox world but cry babys like you spoilt it with your constant whining of being ganked then eventually Blizzard changed it all.  RIP WOW.

You lost all credibility by saying sandbox and WoW in the same sentence.

I played WoW back then  with the original pvp rankings, etc. I played on a pvp server as well. Most pvp consisted of being ganked by someone you had 0% chance of killing. Yes there were times when the guild would band together for some pvp, or to prevent what your guild was up to (griefing people wanting to go to a dungeon). If you think that is pvp, we might have different definitions.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Think we have to accept that this is first and foremost aPvE game, its been said before countless times, you cannot produce a good hybrid to cater for both. Its either PvP or PvE.  I'll be playing purely for the PvE, my PvP will be with Battlefield 3 and when it arrives GW2.

You do know that Arena.Net has said that they will be focusing more on PvE this time around with GW2?

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Lack of world pvp??? in what game??  GW2 has no world pvp, swtor has it.

Hefty price tag?? compared to what?

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It is kind of funny seeing some of those prices, given the conversion rates.

I've seen the game for $59.96 to $59.99... there are some places that show a lower price for the game, but when you add in the higher shipping they are charging - you're basically back to $60 for the game.

I might pay that for a Digital CE version of a game - but I'm not paying that for a standard copy of a game.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• DigitallyEndowedDigitallyEndowed Member Posts: 125

I enjoyed the Beta, it was immersive the quests were very good and I loved playing the Trooper but I won't be playing on launch as it will get boring for me very fast.  I also will not pay £40 for a subscription based game when we all know it will be £5 in a few months.

Sadly for Bioware who have clearly put huge effort into this game I predict a mass exodus after 3 months.  Once you have tried a few of the classes and played through the story there is very little sandbox to keep PvP players involved.

WARNING I AM ABOUT TO MENTION A GAME THAT CAUSES SOME PEOPLE TO CRY

When I played WOW for 5 or 6 years it was not the story or the quests that kept me playing, it was the ability to create my own adventures with the amazing world PvP that the game offered.  Yes I know it's dreadful now which is why I left during WOTLK but anyone who played vanilla and BC will know what I mean. 

In SWTOR there is very little crossover between factions, you simply don't run into the enemy players, it's designed with PvE in mind, you can tell by the zone layouts and the lack of PvP contested questing areas.  If my guild wanted to go attacking enemy towns and cities it would be very hard to do so as the game layout is all catering for PvE. 

I found levelling up very safe and boring as far as PvP was concerned, I never got ganked once, never even saw a sith and I was talking to other people even higher level than me and they never saw one either, this was on a full server with a 40 minute queue.

All you have if you are a PvP player is the battlegrounds and they are horrible in any MMO tbh but in SWTOR they take on a whole new level of crap.  Huttball?  WTF?  American Football?  Are they taking the piss?  Why would anyone outside of America want to play this shocking game, especially in a combat MMO. 

If I were a PvE star wars fan from America I would buy it.... but I am a PvP star wars fan from England so am not :)

What lvl did you get to? I only got to lvl 16 in this last beta weekend so I didn't get a chance to head out into the game world properly and see what the world pvp is like...but then saying that, it's beta anyway so the whole dynamic is different than what it will be like post launch.

As for world pvp at the end-game, there will be Dealers Den, and ofc the big "rvr" capture and control style zone. Adding to that player driven pvp, and it's looking pretty promising to me. 

Moving on to Huttball... I think this warzone is Awesome. It's fun, team oriented, and has a lot of competitive potential. Bioware basically took your traditional capture the flag style game-play and jazzed it up, making it 100% more entertaining. And no I do not like American Football.

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Yes I spent many a happy night PvPing in the world of Azeroth.  My whole guild would take over an enemy town and wait for their max level army to come and liberate it, this would generally take up 3 or 4 hours of play.  Vice versa they would do the same to us.

We used to blockage dungeons before Blizzard added the teleport to dungeon bullcrap, it was great, you would get huge battles outside dungoens as they were forced to bring in reinforcements just to clear a path.  Then there was the grand opening of that dungeon in that zone next to Un Goro (it's a year since I played wow, am a little rusty) but anyway that dungeon that only opened when your faction had gathered enough mats to open it.  One person was chosen from the enemy faction to open the dungeon, hundreds of people turned up to watch the event and our guild ganked him just before it was opened. :) This caused all hell to break lose, great times, all made up by our actions, none of them were quests.  WOW was amazing back then, a great sandbox world but cry babys like you spoilt it with your constant whining of being ganked then eventually Blizzard changed it all.  RIP WOW.

So don't even dare say WOW sucked at world PvP, no game has even come close to emulating the great epic player made battles of Vanilla wow.  Show me another game where hundreds of people would gather and attack the enemy factions home capital city for no reward other than bragging rights?

What? WoW and sandbox? No comment to that other than you have a odd definition of sandbox then, there are tons of games before and after WoW that offer the same thing as your describing, UO was first and this happened tons in that game and it was truely a sandbox. There was others as well such as DAoC, SB, AC, and more recently WAR and even Rift to some extent(not capturing of cities but blockage/ganking of questers). It sounds like WoW is most likely the only MMO you have really played and others you may have dabbled in at low levels but that does not mean they never existed.

On-topic : SWTOR has open PvP on several planets as many others have stated, and even one that has objectives(which WoW never did until more recently, unless you want to count your contested zones which were not really objectives as much as eye candy since you got no reward for taking a city).  Illum will have territory control and sieging, along with a FFA world and PvP specific rewards such as gear.

I do agree with the price though, it seems a bit steep most other MMO's launch at $50.00 not $60.00. But as stated I believe thats because of the early access(first time I have seen a company actually charge extra for that though). And yes the $60 price tag is more recent in gaming history, as it started with the PS3 and 360 and now seems to slowly be seeping over to the PC.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Another person that barely got off the starter world and is complaining about something they have no idea about. Awesome!

After the second planet on both sides world PvP opens up. Maybe you should have leveled faster?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Dont talk wet, GW 2 will have more competetive PvP than SWtoR will ever have.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

Originally posted by Pocahinha

Dont talk wet, GW 2 will have more competetive PvP than SWtoR will ever have.

They have already said that every server will be a pve server, so that means no open world pvp.

• prfellaprfella Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by grunt187

Rift £29.99

Skyrim £29.99

Battlefield 3 £29.99

Assassins Creed £29.99

SWTOR £39.99 yes £39.99

Source www.game.co.uk

LAWL those arnt the christams sales are they? this,and this,what about this. Pwned?what are you 13?

^ This.

and even if they WERE that low price. its only a 10 dollar difference..REALLY? come on now.

Another point. All but SWTOR and RIFT on your list, are single player offline games. You do know what that means dont you? That means when you beat it, its over. you are done. MMOs are always evolving and having content added all the time. Yes those single player games can get downloadable content, which may have one new area. While an MMO will get an entire expansion, patches, new classes, yadda yadda, yadda. 

I have to reiterate the question thats being asked to you...

"What are you 13?"

• bryanftcbryanftc Member Posts: 2

Lack of world pvp?  Have you even researched this game?  There is a planet devoted to world PVP called Ilum.  There is also an area on tatooine called outlaws den where everybody is marked for pvp regardless of faction.  I have also read of great world pvp occuring around the sarlaac pits on the beta.

I'm with everyone else that you probably never got off the starter planet and discovered what this game has to offer.  

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by bryanftc

Lack of world pvp?  Have you even researched this game?  There is a planet devoted to world PVP called Ilum.  There is also an area on tatooine called outlaws den where everybody is marked for pvp regardless of faction.  I have also read of great world pvp occuring around the sarlaac pits on the beta.

I'm with everyone else that you probably never got off the starter planet and discovered what this game has to offer.  

Oh this guy definitely didn't get past the capital world, probably not past the starter planet. There is definitely no lack of world pvp in tor. anyone who says otherwise is mistaken. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com