Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:TOR 1080 - Animation Quality in SLOW-MO - Jedi Sentinel Attacks

Comments

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

Originally posted by nerovipus32

these animations are a million times better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5gX09YgZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dieS4enLsDY

Except it looked lame when fighting another player there must be 20 feet between them lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVCcsF4S3s8&feature=related 

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Teala

Originally posted by popinjay

I did get a chance to play it in CBT2, and the combat was more fluid than what you find in SW:ToR and it requires you to pay attention to your position when attacking and defending, because you can dodge and block attacks, as well as position yourself so that the enemy has to turn and face you to actually hit you.   Standing toe-to-toe in this game is not recommended.  You also do more damage to your target if you can get behind of out flank them.

Positioning does matter in TOR too,  but positioning overall means a lot in other games like Phantasy Star,  TERA,  GW and so on.     Blade and Soul will not change the way MMOs are created or the way they are played.  It will not be a new revolution.  We already have games on the market with very fluid and different combat,  DCUO for instance,  which actually puts a lot more emphasis on skillful combat than Blade and Soul (even in PvE) and does it very well.    

Basically, all these new MMOs that people think are somehow inspirations I was playing back on the dreamcast...  there is nothing new about them or gamechanging.  That is all.

Not from my game experience it doesn't.   Most combat is static, stand face to face and play whack-the-mole. 

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

I did get a chance to play it in CBT2, and the combat was more fluid than what you find in SW:ToR and it requires you to pay attention to your position when attacking and defending, because you can dodge and block attacks, as well as position yourself so that the enemy has to turn and face you to actually hit you.   Standing toe-to-toe in this game is not recommended.  You also do more damage to your target if you can get behind of out flank them.

Positioning does matter in TOR too,  but positioning overall means a lot in other games like Phantasy Star,  TERA,  GW and so on.     Blade and Soul will not change the way MMOs are created or the way they are played.  It will not be a new revolution.  We already have games on the market with very fluid and different combat,  DCUO for instance,  which actually puts a lot more emphasis on skillful combat than Blade and Soul (even in PvE) and does it very well.    

Basically, all these new MMOs that people think are somehow inspirations I was playing back on the dreamcast...  there is nothing new about them or gamechanging.  That is all.

Not from my game experience it doesn't.   Most combat is static, stand face to face and play whack-the-mole. 

Line of Sight plays a big part in TOR....  If your not facing your opponent you can't attack them.... Thats why you see jedi moving all the time

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by monoth

Line of Sight plays a big part in TOR....  If your not facing your opponent you can't attack them.... Thats why you see jedi moving all the time

If the AI tried to take advantage of that, it would be a nice touch..  but it's hardly the same thing at all.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

The game doesn't have autofacing in PvP,  you can't use some abilities unless you're behind enemies,  in cover,  etc,  not to mention the standard MMO AOE areas where positioning an AOE in the right place will make the most of your damage capability,  or moving in and out of range of abilities, which is important depending on what class you play.  

You're telling me you'd really want to stand face to face Smuggler vs. Sith Warrior?  Or just sit back and spam buttons,  Consular vs Imperial Agent?    

Just as you said with B&S,  fighting face to face in these situations is not recommended... it doesn't meant you can't do it.

Originally posted by Vhaln

If the AI tried to take advantage of that, it would be a nice touch..  but it's hardly the same thing at all.

The AI now takes cover properly,  and they switch weapons when you reach different ranges depending on the enemy you fight.  

NPCs now take advantage of LOS,  and also take into account the PC if you hide from them.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Not sure what classes you've played in ToR, but postitioning very important from Smugglers needing cover to Jedis who do massive crit damage from behind.

This doesn't look to be the case in B and S. B and S is just more DCUO combat, roll/dodge, attack roll/dodge. It's fun but Blade and Soul really isn't something revolutionary.

Just bigger boobs (arguably) and nicer graphics than DCUO.imageimage

The game doesn't have autofacing in PvP,  you can't use some abilities unless you're behind enemies,  in cover,  etc,  not to mention the standard MMO AOE areas where positioning an AOE in the right place will make the most of your damage capability,  or moving in and out of range of abilities, which is important depending on what class you play.  

You're telling me you'd really want to stand face to face Smuggler vs. Sith Warrior?  Or just sit back and spam buttons,  Consular vs Imperial Agent?    

Just as you said with B&S,  fighting face to face in these situations is not recommended... it doesn't meant you can't do it.

PvP and PvE are two different things...the PvE in SW:ToR is a snooze fest.   I am not talking PvP.    Of course PvP is going to be more dynamic...most PvP in any MMO is going to be more dynamic because you are facing a player opponent.

The AI now takes cover properly,  and they switch weapons when you reach different ranges depending on the enemy you fight.  

NPCs now take advantage of LOS,  and also take into account the PC if you hide from them.

Where and when in SW:ToR does this happen?  I saw it happen maybe a couple of times with a MOB, most stood in one place and spammed their ranged shot and it they had a melee weapon they would switch to it when you closed..other wise they didn't move or position themselves. 

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

PvP and PvE are two different things...the PvE in SW:ToR is a snooze fest.   I am not talking PvP.    Of course PvP is going to be more dynamic...most PvP in any MMO is going to be more dynamic because you are facing a play opponent.

I think Eve Online when I think of PvE snoozefests to be honest.

Originally posted by Atlan99

PvP and PvE are two different things...the PvE in SW:ToR is a snooze fest.   I am not talking PvP.    Of course PvP is going to be more dynamic...most PvP in any MMO is going to be more dynamic because you are facing a play opponent.

I think Eve Online when I think of PvE snoozefests to be honest.

Good for you.  :)

In that case you're right,  until you get off the home world (not the starter planet,  the HOME world)  you won't find any engrossing PvE.   Enemies don't start using real special abilities until aroun 16 - 17 for flashpoints, and about 25+ for world content,  even though they did mention they were adding more special abilities.

I've had some engrossing battles in the mid 20s all the way to max level in SWTOR.  But I feel where BioWare has faltered is they didn't put any of that content in the early levels.   I've played the starter planets so much it truly is, as you say, somewhat of a PvE snooze fest.    The only thing that consistently pulls me through to the fun content is the story. (and the ability to PvP at level 10.)

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by sanosukex

AoC combat ones were pretty good the deathblow animations were great but the jumping!!! like LOTRO online the jumping animation was just horrifyingly bad. But Swtor one isn't much better. I dunno why but jumping animations bother me so much when they are done bad and there are pretty awful in most MMOs

Agreed completely, I can live without a jumping animation in a MMORPG, but if it's done and done so horribly like in AoC or LoTRO.... ugh.

Ruins the game for me (especially when some ugly caster is jumping up and down on my perfect warrior's corpse :P)

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Except it looked lame when fighting another player there must be 20 feet between them lol

oO

He was stabbing the souls of her feet.

You know, in some cultures that means they're now legally married.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Clubmaster22

Originally posted by mindw0rk

SW:ToR's animation is bad :(

Are you guys blind or what? Or is it just bashing for bashings sake? I mean for pete's sake, SWTOR is by no means perfect but the animations are really not an aspect to worry about. If you want to bash please take something that is at least worth bashing.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's so bad in the animations, I thought they were on the top end comparing to other mmorpgs I've played, they couldnt have better frames and the animations are very smooth and fluid and looks mostly good on the move too. The animations were something that struck positively me in the beta as one of the first things, especially after all those lagging and twitching trailers, none of that in game. But damn, the animations really are great in TOR, I forgot again where this topic is taking place.

Oh and, about AoC, that fatality video looks very good, too bad 90% of the development hours went doing those animations, thank god TOR has a lot bigger budget :)

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

PvP and PvE are two different things...the PvE in SW:ToR is a snooze fest.   I am not talking PvP.    Of course PvP is going to be more dynamic...most PvP in any MMO is going to be more dynamic because you are facing a player opponent.

Just because you choose to play one way doesn't mean it's the only way. Yes, a handful of classes don't really have to do much positioning in PvE, but the majority of them benefit from positioning.

If you're letting enemies gang up on you in melee as a BH mercenary without using your CC/kiting or an Operative not fishing for free Backstabs, that only speaks of your ability to play the classes, not the gameplay per se. 

Now, I'm not saying the combat is orgasmic, it isn't, but it's certainly not a PvE snooze fest like say EVE.

• LoekiiLoekii Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by wizyy

Originally posted by sanosukex

AoC combat ones were pretty good the deathblow animations were great but the jumping!!! like LOTRO online the jumping animation was just horrifyingly bad. But Swtor one isn't much better. I dunno why but jumping animations bother me so much when they are done bad and there are pretty awful in most MMOs

Agreed completely, I can live without a jumping animation in a MMORPG, but if it's done and done so horribly like in AoC or LoTRO.... ugh.

Ruins the game for me (especially when some ugly caster is jumping up and down on my perfect warrior's corpse :P)

I think WoW did a decent job with their Jumping animations -- although I do agree it can be annoying.

Personally, if I have to see jumping, I want to see good animaitons, instead of the generic potato sac race hop.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Its not that those animations are bad, its that they are totally wrong. Light saber don't do anything visually, they should have stunning effcet like AoC, and the gun shoot at 5 cm from the oponent head once more without any kind of visual effcet, this is just plain wrong. You can put bouncing boobz all over in subliminal effect, it would still look wrong.

oO

He was stabbing the souls of her feet.

You know, in some cultures that means they're now legally married.

If I remember correctly, most combat moves required to be 5 feet at most from your target - so this video you see is happens when combat bugs out and some player visually slides away a bit.

Check out this video though - it has all the Jedi lightsaber moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrmmRMjreN4

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

In that case you're right,  until you get off the home world (not the starter planet,  the HOME world)  you won't find any engrossing PvE.   Enemies don't start using real special abilities until aroun 16 - 17 for flashpoints, and about 25+ for world content,  even though they did mention they were adding more special abilities.

I've had some engrossing battles in the mid 20s all the way to max level in SWTOR.  But I feel where BioWare has faltered is they didn't put any of that content in the early levels.   I've played the starter planets so much it truly is, as you say, somewhat of a PvE snooze fest.    The only thing that consistently pulls me through to the fun content is the story. (and the ability to PvP at level 10.)

Remember most of the whine here at mmorpg.com at least, is based on the first 10 levels. Or no levels at all.

Originally posted by Kuinn

Remember most of the whine here at mmorpg.com at least, is based on the first 10 levels. Or no levels at all.

Yes, I know,  and really as the starter world is just an extended tutorial,  and the home world is really just getting and learning your advanced class,  I understand why experienced MMO players feel a little bored.

There really isn't much of a challenge for a lot of the early content,  and there isn't supposed to be,  I think a big part of what BioWare is banking on, is bringing in a lot of people who haven't played MMOs or haven't played very many of them, whereas, just about everyone here has likely played 5 or more within the last year or two.

The early game isn't indicative of what to expect at higher levels,  but for those who are looking for a more challenging MMO, they won't get it right out of the gate with SWTOR.  It just wasn't built like that.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Wasn't it Blizzard that did a study showing that a huge percentage of players who didn't subscribe past the free month never even made it past level 15?

First impressions are important, and I think animation quality can be a major part of that.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Wasn't it Blizzard that did a study showing that a huge percentage of players who didn't subscribe past the free month never even made it past level 15?

First impressions are important, and I think animation quality can be a major part of that.

My thoughts exactly.

Originally posted by wizyy

My thoughts exactly.

I concur.. to some degree.. but BioWares mainstay isn't going to be the early game - as far as gameplay is concerned,  people will stick with the early game because they want to follow the story.  People will connect with strategic gameplay when they hit the late teens.

• HumphrieHumphrie Member Posts: 123

Voiceover... and that's pretty much it. I'd wager 80% or more of the total budget went to the voice acting. Remove that, and it becomes an extremely pedestrian MMO.