Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Five Not So Great Things About SWTOR

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I absolutely HATE the non-customisable UI! Totally loath it!

Over the years I have become so used to having my chat window(s) in the bottom left corner!

But lo and behold! In SW:TOR I can't, because the friggin' companion and party elements are fixed in that position!! /facepalm

It seems that pretty much all their effort went into the whole Voice Over sugar coating and combat! Everything else in this game seems to be an afterthought. /sigh

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by travdoty

Originally posted by Baikal

Seriously though, yeah, some 2+ heroic's can be soloed if you work at it, but to suggest that none of 'em do, you'd be fairly seriously mistaken, unless of course you significantly overlevel them.

Don't mean to be a grammar nazi, but....

AKA "I don't mean to be a complete asshat but I'm going to do it anyway"?  Really guy?  That's like saying "to be honest", basically equating everything else you said to be a lie.

If you don't mean to be a grammar nazi, don't and keep it to yourself.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243

Send this list to BioWare and maybe they can fix a thing or two before release :)

• killerbee99killerbee99 Member Posts: 11

You can find 5 things to hate or dislike about every MMO ever made....

Have you seen the customization of  WOW, lol.......

SWTOR is a nice change to the same old MMO style we see....if RIFT and runes of magic can just clone WOW...and do well enough to survive over a year...than I'm sure this game called Star Wars can hold it's own.

Every forgets wow didn't have  dungeon finder until it's third expansion...or BG's for months after release...SWTOR is bringing several features to the table at launch.

No game will ever launch with every feature in the book, along with an amount of innovation, which would  eventually marvel players into silence about an upcoming title.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

That's a very sound list. I really wish they'd put unify to chest-piece back in, it was a lovely feature that allowed players not to look like they were adventuring on laundry day.

With you 100% on scalable / movable UI. even the option to have three rows displayed in the center area of the screen would be an improvement. Resizing the chat window does no good when it clips off one of your sidebars.

Sidequests don't bother me too much as I played in plenty of WZs and took part in open world PvP while levelling, plus flashpoints and heroics, so I didn't really need the XP or credits. 

Character creation could be a lot better. I think it's something they will improve as time goes on, and if they do I hope there's an option to have a makeover at some point.

Space...urgh. Needs fixing.

Also, pazaak please. I saw a pazaak table on Hutta and was really peeved that I couldn't play a game or twenty at it.

Edited to add: Also, why the heck can't I upgrade my spare planetary commendations anymore. Another late-stage change that has put a dent in things for me.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by killerbee99

You can find 5 things to hate or dislike about every MMO ever made....

Have you seen the customization of  WOW, lol.......

SWTOR is a nice change to the same old MMO style we see....if RIFT and runes of magic can just clone WOW...and do well enough to survive over a year...than I'm sure this game called Star Wars can hold it's own.

Every forgets wow didn't have  dungeon finder until it's third expansion...or BG's for months after release...SWTOR is bringing several features to the table at launch.

No game will ever launch with every feature in the book, along with an amount of innovation, which would  eventually marvel players into silence about an upcoming title.

Sorry bud!  But the User Interface is what makes or breaks a game!

The MMO genre is old and saturated. There won't be millions of new people flocking to SW:TOR who have never played an MMO before!

That time has passed.  Pretty much all people who will pick up SW:TOR are coming from another MMO.

And don't think people are asking too much for having a "more" customizable UI!

One of the major reasons DC Universe Online PC Version went flat on it's face and lost almost it's entire PC playerbase within a few months, was because of the horrible "uncustomizable" UI, next to the horrible PC controls!

The extremely limited UI in SW:TOR is a disgrace and not of this time!

Like I said in my previous post (and I am most sertain a TON of other people have become accustomed to the exact same) I have become totally used to having my chat window(s) in the bottom left corner! Ever since I started playing MMO's over a decade ago!

Is it that much to ask to be able to scale/resize and move around all the UI elements?

I don't need a fully moddable/reskinable UI! Just to freedom to scale/resize and move around the UI elements to my comfort and liking. That's all!

Again. Like I said. It seems Bioware has totally focussed almost all their assets to the whole Voice Over sugar coating... and forgot about everything else!  /sigh

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

I agree with the list.

These 5 things pretty much made the game a No Buy for me.

Take away the Cinematics, Faction/Class Based Story Line, Voice Acting and the Interactive Mission Cut-Scenes and its just your basic Linear, Static, Themepark on rails MMO that we have been "Force Fed" (pun intended) for years.

Nothing new or innovative at all. AT ALL!!!!!

Twice I caught myself thinking I was playing RIFT and then STO.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I've played several classes, and the list is pretty fair, the only thing I have to say (which is mentioned) is that the smuggler and bounty hunter seem to be the only classes that side quests make sense for.  IMO you always just hit the option that mentions credits and the voice acting seems like how my character should react, but i'm still not sure why almost always taking credits is a darkside option.  I'm a smuggler, I'll do anything for enough creds :)

Space combat isn't very interesting for me.  I've only done it a couple of times, and found it boring.  I'd rather run for cover on my smuggler, and shoot some bad guys :)  Trooper is another good class, but the side quests often make you seem to be soft.  You can help people without being soft, but the voice overs just make you sound like a hippy or something.  Once again on my Trooper I had to choose the darkside chioces, just because to me.  You're a soldier in a battlefield, you're supposed to be a BAMF, not some guy with feelings for a group of kids, and too bad you don't have an option to knock people out and carry them out of the place when they won't cooperate.  Sith don't seem evil at all.  As mentioned in the article, if you play a "real" sith, you won't ever level up or get gear.  I'd say an option to kill the contact and just take the "reward" is much better...that sounds ALOT more like a sith to me :)

Overall it's still a decent game, and I'm sure the real thing will be a little better if not alot, so it's still going to be good.

Originally posted by Caskio

I liked the space combat.

I also don't agree that JTL was an awesome space experience.  It was annoying and dull at best for me.

If they ever do an expanded experience it should be like the Xwing/TIE series.  Those that have played both those games and JTL should know the difference.

I doubt they will do anything major with space other than add more Star Fox The Old Republic type missions.

See here is the difference. Those who liked/loved JTL type space combat will more than likely loathe space combat in SWTOR.

I do.

STO Space Combat is LIGHT YEARS (lol) better than what they did in SWTOR

And thats saying alot cuz STO is a horrid game

Hell, LEGO Star Wars has better space combat

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

As a huge TIE Fighter fan I can't stand the space combat. What they have now should eventually be turned into some sort of arcade game your character can play

Originally posted by PyrateLV

I agree with the list.

Take away the Cinematics, Faction/Class Based Story Line, Voice Acting and the Interactive Mission Cut-Scenes and its just your basic Linear, Static, Themepark on rails MMO that we have been "Force Fed" (pun intended) for years.

Take all the nice and innovative things out of the game and, yes, it will be a standard cookie cutter MMO.  This is a surprise to you?

Originally posted by SlothnChunk

As a huge TIE Fighter fan I can't stand the space combat. What they have now should eventually be turned into some sort of arcade game your character can play

This is something they already stated they'd like to expand on.  However, this game isn't about space combat with spaceships so to expect it to have THAT much emphasis at release, you're going to be let down.  I'd also like to know where that expectation came from because it's not documented anywhere that the game will have alot of space combat, in fact, early on it wasn't mentioned at all.

Originally posted by Quesa

This is something they already stated they'd like to expand on.  However, this game isn't about space combat with spaceships so to expect it to have THAT much emphasis at release, you're going to be let down.  I'd also like to know where that expectation came from because it's not documented anywhere that the game will have alot of space combat, in fact, early on it wasn't mentioned at all.

As a huge Star Wars fan I expected space combat from a Star Wars MMO. That's where my expectation came from. And I would have prefered nothing for now instead of the rail shooter thing they tacked on.

As a huge Star Wars fan I expected space combat from a Star Wars MMO. That's where my expectation came from. And I would have prefered nothing for now instead of the rail shooter thing they tacked on.

I'm a huge SW fan too but to expect everything you see in the movies to show up on your computer is pretty far out there.

I agree with the list.

Take all the nice and innovative things out of the game and, yes, it will be a standard cookie cutter MMO.  This is a surprise to you?

For the $$$ Bioware put into this game? Yes it is!

Especially nowadays.

I had hoped that Bioware would have taken MMOs in a different direction.

They didnt. They just took a very basic Themepark MMO style, colored it Star Wars and slapped what is unique to Bioware on it. Animated Storytelling

Thats NOT innovation.

• klerkenklerken Member UncommonPosts: 53

first of all i pretty much agree on the list but hopefully most of them will be ironed out shortly after release (doubt it ,but i can hope)

second of all, to all the people who keep complaining about being guided to where the quests are with markers/arrows/yelllow dots or whatever, there is a simple solution, TURN OF THE QUEST TRACKER, it removes every single quest marker on the map --> problem solved.

it doesn't fix the linear lvling but at least gives you more exploration in finding where the quest stuff is.

I'm a huge SW fan too but to expect everything you see in the movies to show up on your computer is pretty far out there.

A huge percentage of the movies take place in space. So that's where my expectation came from. Plus, TOR is pretty much the most expensive game ever made. Again, they would have been better to leave out the rail-shooter and add a TIE Fighter style space combat later on.

I agree with the list.

For the $$$ Bioware put into this game? Yes it is!

Especially nowadays.

I had hoped that Bioware would have taken MMOs in a different direction.

They didnt. They just took a very basic Themepark MMO style, colored it Star Wars and slapped what is unique to Bioware on it. Animated Storytelling

Thats NOT innovation.

My main point is, you can't remove all the innovative things they did to the game then ask why what is left isn't innovative.  It's hypocritical.

You had hoped that BioWare would have taken it a different direction?  If you had been reading anything about the game since it's announcement up to today, you would have known it wasn't going to be anything ground breaking.

A huge percentage of the movies take place in space. So that's where my expectation came from. Plus, TOR is pretty much the most expensive game ever made. Again, they would have been better to leave out the rail-shooter and add a TIE Fighter style space combat later on.

No, not really...sorry.

• jannisary88jannisary88 Member UncommonPosts: 7

I misiing the SWG about this space fights really its pro than TOR. i Hope the will bring in the game with expansions or patchs

No, not really...sorry.

Have you been watching different movies then? Even when they're in large ships or space stations they're still....in space.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Even as a huge supporter of this game, I agree with most of this list. The UI is good to me, but it is very annoying not to be able to move the windows around. Totally agree about the character customization. I was very disappointed that in 2012 that it is so limited. Part of me is hoping they can and will eventually do something about this, though not sure they can if people have already created characters. While beta testing, really didn't have any thought to issues with the side quests or itemization. Also, I still think most people over-react and forget that all space combat is a mini game time waster. Would we get the same criticism of Paazak if that was in game? I mean, it has the same limitation from an MMO perspective. 

One thing I'm happy about which should come to the dismay of so many haters in these forums is that the writer didn't say anything bad about the artistry or graphics of the game and how too cartoony it is....because the artistry is perfect IMO. :-)

There Is Always Hope!

No, not really...sorry.

Have you been watching different movies then? Even when they're in large ships or space stations they're still....in space.

And for how much of their time in those big ships, are they fighting in space?  Even if you added up all of the time a character spent "in space" it would still be a minor portion of the overall footage.

Don't try to mince or twist statements to attempt to make your point.

No, not really...sorry.

And for how much of their time in those big ships, are they fighting in space?  Even if you added up all of the time a character spent "in space" it would still be a minor portion of the overall footage.

A significant percentage of the movies show people in small ships either in dog fights or traveling. Even when you see character on large capital ships or space stations they had to get there via small ships. Most capital ships in Star Wars can't enter orbit.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

goodl list

I self identify as a monkey.