Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old SWG vets, this may be the game for you

Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Dawntide

http://www.dawntide.net/

Ck it out.  Full sandbox gameplay, in an early stage of beta but it's open for any1 to join atm.  Set in a Conan type setting, crafting where quality of materials matter, looks like decay is a factor, housing and deco along with player cities, ship building, etc etc etc

Small independant developer that is actualy listening.  I made 1st post on the forums and a GM responded in less than an hr on a Sunday with answers.

With all the yelling we all have done for a "sandbox" game, let's try and see if this one might be the game that we're looking for and help them get it off the ground.

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I like the idea of Dawntide but this beta is still pretty betay.  It feels so clunky, but if they can pull it off then it will be good.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Alert

Details:

Web page:

Description:

Access to the web page was blocked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

The web page is on the list of websites with potentially dangerous content.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by wizyy

ESET NOD32 Antivirus - Alert

Details:

Web page:

Description:

Access to the web page was blocked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

The web page is on the list of websites with potentially dangerous content.

The webpage is not dangerous at all.  I've accessed it on two different computers a number of times and both run just as good as they did prior to access.

That warning is so vague anyway.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

I played the game and found it dull and extremely barren and buggy.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by Jarazar

I played the game and found it dull and extremely barren and buggy.

Yeah, it's pretty beta.  But, I'm reporting bugs, making suggestions on the forums which actual got replyed to on a Sunday from a red name, exploring the world they laid out.  Talked to about 5 old SWG vets tonight on vent, that was planning on TOR, and every 1 of them is on the download.

It's not a game that your going to find NPCs standing with a gold marker above their heads.  No dev installed ring in the nose to lead you thru content that when it's done, the game is done either.  There are no quests.  Just total freedom and a world to explore.  No instant gratification either.  Ground about 400 gold tonight, spent it on pen, ink, and paper,  made 2 deeds for a "small house", and failed on both of them but gained 23 XP in arch.  (and loved every minute of it)

Had no problems with the software.  Cked with AVG and Gameguard after the download.  It may have thrown that message due to the developer being so small and unknown.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

For those that may be a little worried about the malware report in this thread, I linked this thread over on the Dawntide forums and a developer responded;

Hi Esquire, I’m glad you and the people you brought in are enjoying our beta so far. We certainly still have bugs (development beta!) and the game style isn’t for everyone. I saw someone in the thread you linked raised concerns about our site being (erroneously) flagged for malware – it actually has to do with our downloads page containing a link to the exe (and not just an archived version of the file) – nothing to actually worry about. We’re in the process of getting it cleared, but there is certainly nothing malicious about our site (except for all of the time this game can eat out of your day heh.) Of course, we want our users to feel safe, so hopefully this will be resolved as soon as possible.

End quote

Hope this lays the fears to rest.  Please remember, if you try this, it is a beta and they could have problems like this that will get fixed.

• BloodnokBloodnok Member UncommonPosts: 75

The Repopulation is also worth checking out for SWG fans. Sandbox, skill based, player cities, sci-fi setting - it seems very influenced by SWG from what I'm reading.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Bloodnok
    The Repopulation is also worth checking out for SWG fans. Sandbox, skill based, player cities, sci-fi setting - it seems very influenced by SWG from what I'm reading.

Why does every single scifi mmorpg, in their first video, post a guy running down a hill on a path next to some woods? It's like the exact same scene was cut and paste into the videos for Earthrise, The Repopulation, and Dominus. I could swear it's popped up someplace else too. It's weird.

Anyway, check out Dominus as well. http://www.dominusthegame.com/
    You're probably going to see some buy in vaguely a vaguely marine looking outfit running down a hill on a path next to some woods though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BloodnokBloodnok Member UncommonPosts: 75

Because woods are cool. Even in the future.