Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: A [quick] look back on "critics"

13»

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Weasel....less turgid prose please.  Thanks.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Icewhite

Weasel....less turgid prose please.  Thanks.

Sorry image  I often have a... "flowery"  writing style.  Have no idea why... just always been that way.  I'll tone it down.  Cut out  prepositions and adverbs. image

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Sorry image  I often have a... "flowery"  writing style.  Have no idea why... just always been that way.  I'll tone it down.  Cut out  prepositions and adverbs. image

S'allright, I'm a pedantic pontificator for sure.  Just try to control it when I notice one of my posts getting as long as that ^ one up there.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by kalinis
    Id like to point out u dont see day old accounts on here defending the game its the same people been defending it prior to this weekend and the same people stilld efending it. Those that have played it in beta seem to enjoy themselves alot from wht i can take from chat. 
    That said I also get annoyed the people putting the game down dont just make 1 hater thread they make 10 
    A person likes it makes 1 post on how much they love the game get hijacked by the same people who have posted 10 hate threds . 
    Id just like to point out the people who love this game defend it yes. They dont go around making post after post after post about that love. 
    We dont go around creating guys for the purpose of hidng like the haters do. U can hate tor i dont have an issue with that its when u spout untruth about the game i come to its defense. 
    Ill admit the ui is an issue for some as is chaaracter creatot . Even i want more choices i dont need alot of choices for my guy. 
    Ill admit some dont like the art style i like it but some dont. Some have said they hve texture issues i havent had any but maybe its cause im more into the story then the textures. I love the scenery that i may miss that its grainy here or there or something. 
    Im not saying tor is perfect just its the most fun ive ever had in an mmo. The more i play the more i wanna play. 

Where do you have the "haters are on a crusade" from? Did some idiot post on a fansite "people on mmorpg.com hate this game"?

I think it is a problem of selective perception, I often feel the same.
    From what I read it is about 50:50 optimistics vs pessimistics. Well, I am a troll, as a note for post history stalkers.
    But you have to understand that just because people don´t like this game, it doesn´t mean they all love the same game X. If you ask them what game they like, the tastes would again differ.

at old accounts are negative:
    Some are, some not. But can you feel a little bit with the negative ones? "we" get the same gameplay since many years (big dev studios-wise). The icing on this is the games are more and more narrowed, instanced, tunneled, and such.
    I for me at least applaud Trion for making an MMO where zergs are possible - Vesavius would slack me for this. ;)
    And for me it is fine Bioware try their first steps in the MMO-field, thanks to Mythic I guess.
    And there comes the troll in me who thinks that EA is or will just cripple the game and the studios down, while abusing the brand for marketing.

• watchawatchawatchawatcha Member Posts: 960

1)  Its a NOT an MMO!

It's an MMO.  It just uses a very successful gimmick to draw people into the story.  It's very well done.

2)  Its not SWG, or a Sandbox!:

You're wrong on this point.  Minecraft is a huge hit and basically shatters the majority of your points listed here.   In recent years traditional big budget games have not done well in this environment.  In the past they did very well.  EVE is another example.

3)  Theres no Third Faction,  PvP will suck!:

They get this opinion because it's true.  SWTOR is avoiding this issue by making PVP non-faction related.  Which is smart.  3 factions PvP is the best and anyone whom knows anything about PvP knows that.

4) Its a WoW clone with Voice Acting!:

It's a traditional MMO with its own spin on things.  Rift had well, rifts/invasions.  SWTOR has involved cut scenes.  Plenty of games now and in the future will borrow from traditional play styles and try to add their own elements to it. 

5)  The Graphics are terrible!  

Running animations are terrible in my opinion (reminds me of Champions Online.)  Some parts of the world looks like crap/unfinished.  The combat animations and cut-scenes are fantastic.  The game is being rushed out the door by EA.  They need money and the game works well enough for now.

6)  Its Childish and simple!

The game is not simple.  I've heard the claim of the storyline being rated PG.  I'm wondering if the republic side is more child friendly, than the empire.  I didn't try out the republic side, but I would not say the empire was childish.  Gameplay wise?  No, the game is not roll your face on the keyboard = win.  There's challenge there once you get past around level 12 or so.  Second flashpoint on empire side Hammer Station?  can be down right brutal.

Its not to say that SWTOR is a perfect game,  it has its share of issues, such as a non-customizable UI,  and lackluster character creation, space combat, and housing,   but these are issues that will likely be optimized in time,  and they don't stop SWTOR from being a great game worthy of the BioWare,  Star Wars,  and MMO community.  

Well this is your argument/summation.  The UI thing is kind of a big deal for many people.  You really can't just dismiss it out of hand if your talking about the community.  Lackluster character creation is because of the cut-scenes.  It's also why everyone will look basically the same and have mismatched armor.  We're never going to be able to dye in this game because of the cut-scenes.  Holding out hope and saying some day is what's going to tick most people off.  It's better to accept it will never happen and be surprised if it ever does.  I wouldn't hold my breath though.  Space Combat will most likely get a huge overhaul in the future.  They know that part of the game is weak and have addressed it.  Housing?  perhaps.  Would be nice, but I would settle for being able to customize my ship to be honest.  That's something I really want.   And to go on flight missions with friends.  And have friends hang out in ships together.  And have guild housing or a base or something.  But housing falls into a Sandbox element.  So I guess that will never happen, since you aptly pointed out that the vast majority of MMO players want nothing to do with sandbox at all.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

The MMO world does not, nor has ever, revolved around sandbox gameplay, and nothing coming up on the horizon will change that.  

You had a great, well thought out post, that highlights pretty much everything I have been laughing about when people talk about this game. Pretty much 100% agree with you, but this particular statement I agree with the most. The most successful sandbox to come out is probably UO, but that was mostly because the MMO genre was new so people were just excited about the whole concept. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time with it back then, but there is no way a game like that would be acceptable now. It is clear that the most successful games are themepark based games. Forgot about Eve as a sandbox actually, but honestly I don't count that boring pile of poo. It is important to note that it had more subs than UO though!

Everyone loves to confuse nostalgia with fun. These sandbox games come out, some arguably with the same level of quality as UO, but people still don't play them! The reason for this is that MMO's need some direction. To me, I think the best game sandbox fans could hope for would be a hybrid themepark/sandbox with direction but many different ways you can choose it as well as tons of social additions like housing. (No, this is not SWTOR) Some of these guys think it is GW2, but that game lacks most of the fundamentals of a sandbox as well. A themepark with more rides, essentially. 

Minecraft, really? It is not even an MMO, hell, the developers are "making one". (http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=25840

Going back just slightly, yes it may come out eventually, but if you are talking MMORPG, (which SWTOR should be compared to, not an mmo like a Minecraft would be)  there still has not been a big one.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by Anubisan

Couldn't agree with you more OP. I think a lot of people who are disappointed with TOR's overall direction are just grasping at straws looking for ANYTHING to complain about at this point...

So is your theory that people really secretly like the game, and they are faking their dislike of TOR just for fun?  Or do you think they are deluding themselves and are choosing to hate a game because they have nothing better to do?

People are allowed differening opinions.  I'm sure I do many things you wouldn't enjoy such as hitting and getting hit in the face in my martial arts class, but that doesn't mean I think you are deluding yourself, or that I think you are just 'grasping at straws'.  You love the game, and I think it's a sterile, boring experience.  That's ok.  We don't have to agree.  It really shouldn't bother you if other people don't like something you like.  It makes you sound insecure in your decision.

My theory is that a certain group of disgruntled players from other massives are so unhappy with the overall direction of TOR (as in it is not sandbox or is not exactly like their perfect idea of what a game should be). Instead of simply accepting that this game is a themepark and is not what they want it to be, they complain about every aspect they can. They no longer complain about the fact that it isn't sandbox because that would only highlight the true reasons behind their disdain for anything SWTOR. So what do they do? They make up things to complain about. Things like repeatedly saying that SWTOR is a single-player game or some of the other blatantly false things that have been repeatedly argued around here.  The OP did a great job explaining how many of these common complaints are unfounded and in many cases factually incorrect. Yet we still hear them constantly on the forums. Why is that? Seems like grasping at straws to me...

I know people are entitled to their opinions and, even though I don't agree with them, I am glad they express them. I am simply expressing my opinion about their opinions and my suspicions about their motives. I think I'm entitled to that as well.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Couldn't agree with you more OP. I think a lot of people who are disappointed with TOR's overall direction are just grasping at straws looking for ANYTHING to complain about at this point...
    So is your theory that people really secretly like the game, and they are faking their dislike of TOR just for fun?  Or do you think they are deluding themselves and are choosing to hate a game because they have nothing better to do?
    People are allowed differening opinions.  I'm sure I do many things you wouldn't enjoy such as hitting and getting hit in the face in my martial arts class, but that doesn't mean I think you are deluding yourself, or that I think you are just 'grasping at straws'.  You love the game, and I think it's a sterile, boring experience.  That's ok.  We don't have to agree.  It really shouldn't bother you if other people don't like something you like.  It makes you sound insecure in your decision.

My theory is that a certain group of disgruntled players from other massives are so unhappy with the overall direction of TOR (as in it is not sandbox or is not exactly like their perfect idea of what a game should be). Instead of simply accepting that this game is a themepark and is not what they want it to be, they complain about every aspect they can. They no longer complain about the fact that it isn't sandbox because that would only highlight the true reasons behind their disdain for anything SWTOR. So what do they do? They make up things to complain about. Things like repeatedly saying that SWTOR is a single-player game or some of the other blatantly false things that have been repeatedly argued around here.  The OP did a great job explaining how many of these common complaints are unfounded and in many cases factually incorrect. Yet we still hear them constantly on the forums. Why is that? Seems like grasping at straws to me...
    I know people are entitled to their opinions and, even though I don't agree with them, I am glad they express them. I am simply expressing my opinion about their opinions and my suspicions about their motives. I think I'm entitled to that as well.

I strongly suspect you are right. The latest two complaints are the space combat and the first 10 levels will turn people off, causing the game to die. The most persistent complaints though center around the fact that it's not a sandbox game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Ghost021Ghost021 Member Posts: 84
    People forget to say that, at least in this game you can choose what to answer and see your character speaking, that small detail alone is everything that diferenciates this game from others.. tell me, in WoW (GOD!) , how many times did your character spoke? Or how many times were you confronted with the option to kill or spare a life?

Oh wait....

Originally posted by Ghost021

People forget to say that, at least in this game you can choose what to answer and see your character speaking, that small detail alone is everything that diferenciates this game from others.. tell me, in WoW (GOD!) , how many times did your character spoke? Or how many times were you confronted with the option to kill or spare a life? Oh wait....

True, but other than dark side points - your choices don't matter.  Maybe you might not get a companion, but that's about it.  So really you have an illusion of choice.  It's still nice, but it's not earth shattering.  Which is why I think people highlight the fact that the cut-scenes are so well done and less emphasis on the ability of choice.

Originally posted by watchawatcha

Originally posted by Ghost021

People forget to say that, at least in this game you can choose what to answer and see your character speaking, that small detail alone is everything that diferenciates this game from others.. tell me, in WoW (GOD!) , how many times did your character spoke? Or how many times were you confronted with the option to kill or spare a life? Oh wait....

True, but other than dark side points - your choices don't matter.  Maybe you might not get a companion, but that's about it.  So really you have an illusion of choice.  It's still nice, but it's not earth shattering.  Which is why I think people highlight the fact that the cut-scenes are so well done and less emphasis on the ability of choice.

You will always get a companion,  you can't miss out on one,  however, things like quest objectives and rewards do change both initially and in the future depending on choice.

• Ghost021Ghost021 Member Posts: 84

<p>A game is more than cut scenes and skill trees. I've been in the early stages of the closed beta and found the game promising, altough, keeping in mind that this was an MMO and as such it would be bound my the rule set that binds MMOs today.</p>

<p>This is no EvE ( and even EvE is gravely flawed but thats another matter ) , no sandbox MMO, you have a storyline here and Bioware didn't promised the world, they promised a good MMO for people that like MMOs.</p>

<p>Trouble is the comunity have overhyped themselves thinking the launch of TOR as the second coming of Christ or something in the MMO world, and now that it is not they rage and went their frustation stating that the game is this and should be that.</p>

<p>And small things like "the ilusion" of choice do matter and help, it makes the game feel less linear and prescripted, it helps you identify with your character and thats the way it should be.</p>

<p>I played WoW for 30 days, on Level 40 i was trough with it, it was base, scroll down and accept. The Wichter for example keeps me hooked up until today, simply because i do enjoy the speaking and cutscenes and my ilusion of choice.</p>

<p>Who knows, Bioware has perhaps laid the foundations on how quests will be run in future expansions or games.</p>

All I want is an MMO! Where hundreds of people join a zerg to kill a boss or fight each other in a big PvP battle! What is wrong with demanding an MMO?

I played Dungeon Defenders with friends, Left 4 Dead 2 with a friends, Borderlands with friends, Minecraft on bigger servers. I don´t care if you bought ToR because you of satisfying your wives, but it is a tragedy Battlefield 3 comes closer to an MMO than ToR! /rawr

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Battlefield 3 is closer to an mmo than TOR?

You guys have really lost it on this single player nonsense. That is just incredibly false.

I know you haven't seen much ofthe game (if any of it) but there are bi open world PvP battles. There are also open world raid bosses.

See ya at launch buddy.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

Originally posted by Herodes

All I want is an MMO! Where hundreds of people join a zerg to kill a boss or fight each other in a big PvP battle! What is wrong with demanding an MMO?

I played Dungeon Defenders with friends, Left 4 Dead 2 with a friends, Borderlands with friends, Minecraft on bigger servers. I don´t care if you bought ToR because you of satisfying your wives, but it is a tragedy Battlefield 3 comes closer to an MMO than ToR! /rawr

I disagree with that... we had multiple raid groups for some world bosses in Beta,  and we also had raids together for some heroic quests with multiple open world objectives.   I love dungeon defenders, borderlands,  etc.  but SWTOR is a different kind of game.

Large scale PvP battles are possible too,  though theres no telling how often we'll see those until launch.

What I will say, there is a clear distinction here.  SWTOR is a great game.  SWTOR - to me - isn't a great virtual world ,  at least with the constant progression and wipes I've endured in beta.    

Originally posted by dubyahite
    See ya at launch buddy.
    We´ll read each other again, don´t worry. Same procedure as every year. ;)

The world bosses are fine though. Do you think it is easy to gather people to fight them? Is there a multiple-choice text leading to it?

edit: sorry, read the text about PvP late

See ya at launch buddy.

The world bosses are fine though. Do you think it is easy to gather people to fight them? Is there a multiple-choice text leading to it?

World bosses do not require texts.. for the most part,  though some bonus quests do lead you to minor world bosses that often requres groups,  or a well leveled character.

Finding groups for world bosses was not fun to be honest.   (in beta).  I played a healer so it wasn't like we were short on heals or a tank or anything, its just,  everyone is usually wrapped up in running other quests, they don't usually pull away unless they are in the area.   Needless to say I did kill most of the world bosses from the home worlds to tatooine,  but post tatooine, the population was so thin in beta,  I rarely would find people looking to group to kill them.

You will always get a companion,  you can't miss out on one,  however, things like quest objectives and rewards do change both initially and in the future depending on choice.

sounds interesting.  could you explain more about the rewards that change and quest objectives?  I was told that it didn't matter what you decided because the end result for every quest is the same.  I would be very interested to hear if this isn't the case.  I know decisions in the middle of the quest can change, like choosing to kill someone; but was told that how the quest line ended is always the same.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

...Finding groups for world bosses was not fun to be honest.   (in beta).  I played a healer so it wasn't like we were short on heals or a tank or anything, its just,  everyone is usually wrapped up in running other quests, they don't usually pull away unless they are in the area.   Needless to say I did kill most of the world bosses from the home worlds to tatooine,  but post tatooine, the population was so thin in beta,  I rarely would find people looking to group to kill them.

This is basically what bothered me the most about TOR.  The fact taht it carries so many flaws over from WoW.

I remember those WoW quests in Red Ridge where you have to kill the orc guys that require a group.  They were so irritating.  You have to find a team to do one or two lousy quests and then disband afterwards.  Even worse, most folks know it's more efficient to just do other quests and ignore the heroic ones so people are even harder to find.

It's not just this though, there are other irritating things about WoW that SWTOR does nothing to fix.  I had a few "kill 10 rats" or "collect 10 rat tail" quests that were made very annoying because other players were also killing the rats and it was hard to find a spawn.

I think what bothers me so much is that WoW has been out since what...2004?  And yet despite all the games that copy it, none of them try to really fix the extremely obvious issues that it has.  They just copy them over verbatim.

If SWTOR would have tried to fix these issues instead of just ignoring them, then it would have impressed me a lot more.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

See ya at launch buddy.

World bosses do not require texts.. for the most part,  though some bonus quests do lead you to minor world bosses that often requres groups,  or a well leveled character.

Finding groups for world bosses was not fun to be honest.   (in beta).  I played a healer so it wasn't like we were short on heals or a tank or anything, its just,  everyone is usually wrapped up in running other quests, they don't usually pull away unless they are in the area.   Needless to say I did kill most of the world bosses from the home worlds to tatooine,  but post tatooine, the population was so thin in beta,  I rarely would find people looking to group to kill them.

Curses and Blesses of a healer, I love it. I guess it will be easier later in game, when levels slow down, and people may leave the stories for a bit community and drops of course. (not meant as troll, more as a life of a healer ;) ).
    I really really hope EA/Bio supports this group/zerg feeling in their game.

Originally posted by watchawatcha

sounds interesting.  could you explain more about the rewards that change and quest objectives?  I was told that it didn't matter what you decided because the end result for every quest is the same.  I would be very interested to hear if this isn't the case.  I know decisions in the middle of the quest can change, like choosing to kill someone; but was told that how the quest line ended is always the same.

I don't want to spoil any major gameplay plots,  but I'll give you a couple from my experience that you can take note of early on the home worlds.

The lovers quest on tython,  you can go lightside or darkside here in a few different ways,  one way would be to go lightside and tell the masters about the lovers,  or you could get an immediate reward from the lovers (a lightsaber crystal) and keep their secrecy,  or not take the crystal and keep the secrecy.

Another example would be,  (can't remember if its IA or BH) you are supposed to go into a club for a quest,  the bodyguard stops you,  you have a number of different dialog options,  depending on what you decide you may have to fight the bodyguard,  or you could resolve it peacefully,  which is basically the difference between a kill quest or ... well,   no quest.   

As you progress you have a number of decisions like this,  some with better rewards than others.  Others with more.. (lasting) future content,  like saving someone you would have killed.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i disagree this game is overhyped if any game is hyped beyond all reason its gw 2. Tor is exactly what i though tit would be. 

Its exactly what bioware promised me. I had a blast and really enjoy ths game the more i play it the more i like it. 

U dont have to like it . I dont care if u do or not but to say tor is overhyped with all the hate on this game from day 1 is ridiculous

Tor is exactly what bioware promised it would be a familiar themepark game with the 4th pillar and a uniqe take on crafting with biowares companions. 

Anyone who expected anything difrent fan or otherwise was not paying attention. 

Oh i tried space combat and it was a blast . Sure its star fox in an mmo but who cares it was fun and enjoyable the short mission i did at least. 

its alot of fun for what it is. A mini game.

that said choices do have consequences story wise. Some are short term some are longer term. If u kill someone they might not be there to help u later is how bioware has put it. 

so there are consequences. One consequence they took away is losing your companion cause unlike a single player game u cant hit reset if u kill them and find out woops that gimped me. They did this because in testing when players would kill there companion and lose them for good they didnt like that to much.

So bioware took tester feedback and the majority by a huge margin didnt like losing your companion permanantly.