Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed in SWTOR? Let's talk about why.

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I'm very disappointed in TOR.  Some people want to know well WHY! are you disappointed?!  Well, for me, here's why....

1. Character creation - (lack of options in key areas like body and face type)

2. No completed quest log - (If we are playing many alts, would like to refresh on a toon's story by looking at recent completed quests.)

3. Social hubs / cities feel lifeless - (no npc interaction except with quest givers, very quiet, almost no ambient npc conversation or sound. Most npc's are just locked in one spot / position for infinity. Try walking through the Jedi Temple or Coruscant, feels like a graveyard or library)

4. World is lifeless - (no critters, birds, nothing. There are a few non aggro mobs or beasts, but they just stay locked in 1 spot pretty much)

5. No day / night cycle.

6. No swimming

7. Space combat

8. Races available to choose from - (all human races disappointing - was hoping to play a Rodian or Ithorian)

9. Very slow travel speed.

10. Racial abilities are not only worthless, but just plain dumb (most of them anyway)

11. Graphics, especially in environments.

12. Cannot custom UI

13.  Extremely primitive guild features.

14.  No chat bubbles (to help with cross-faction chat)

15.  Water is terrible, pan the camera from underneath and you can see it's just a blue texture placed on top of an empty hole that you run through

That's what I can think of for right now.  I will say I love the story and voice acting - but it seems they pumped 80% of their money into that and the GAME is somewhat of an afterthought.  It's not bad, but for the money and hype put into it - for me it falls pretty flat.

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Whats the racials?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

That sounds like the same list of complaints you would see on some generic asian WOW clone.

• polocola1polocola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4

Racials are just a complete joke like for the Twi'leks their racial is a cultural dance which is just them doing a special dance emote lol.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Only thing I'm not happy about is some of the textures being low resolution and streched too much.

Big rocks are just pain UGLY, and I found some warning signs on an animal-cage and that one showed pixels as well instead of being a smooth triangle.

Aside from that, I'm quite happy with SWTOR.

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

this just in 'ITS FREE A BETA' andit aint gona make everyone happy.

If you are just gona cry, why dont you post it in the swotr forum so somthing can be elaborated on and maybe fixed/changed.

i enjoy it. nothing like WoW. no stupid panda expansion. and people who QQ for no auto hit should just stick to their one button macro mmo's

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Well, after playing 16 hours straight, I can't say I'm at all disappointed in SWTOR. Time flies when you're having fun... right?

Indeed, i was as skeptical as the next person about the game but now it's 8am and i better go to bed.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Margulis

I'm very disappointed in TOR.  Some people want to know well WHY! are you disappointed?!  Well, for me, here's why....

Espescially the body types/size could/should be improved

2. No completed quest log - (If we are playing many alts, would like to refresh on a toon's story by looking at recent completed quests.)

Valid point, tough only a minor inconcenience for most

3. Social hubs / cities feel lifeless - (no npc interaction except with quest givers, very quiet, almost no ambient npc conversation or sound. Most npc's are just locked in one spot / position for infinity. Try walking through the Jedi Temple or Coruscant, feels like a graveyard or library)

Valid point, tough only a minor inconvenience for most

4. World is lifeless - (no critters, birds, nothing. There are a few non aggro mobs or beasts, but they just stay locked in 1 spot pretty much)

5. No day / night cycle.

6. No swimming

7. Space combat

I happen to like the space minigame for what it is, a min game

8. Races available to choose from - (all human races disappointing - was hoping to play a Rodian or Ithorian)

Not a point of my concern

Which is good as it makes the world feel bigger, and when i was in the millitary i could not run that fast with all my gear on my back.

10. Racial abilities are not only worthless, but just plain dumb (most of them anyway)

Not a point of my concern

I like their graphics style, its build to last.

12. Cannot custom UI

This really is a major Issue, they are going to improve that after release.

Not a point of my concern, as these are things that can and will be easilly improved after release

15.  Water is terrible, pan the camera from underneath and you can see it's just a blue texture placed on top of an empty hole that you run through

Valid point, but who cares if its not possible to swim.

That's what I can think of for right now.  I will say I love the story and voice acting - but it seems they pumped 80% of their money into that and the GAME is somewhat of an afterthought.  It's not bad, but for the money and hype put into it - for me it falls pretty flat.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

not a big deal for me although more customization would have been nice.

once again, not a big deal.  Its something they could add in the future but not having it at release isn't a biggie for me.

this would be nice but as long as there are real players at release i don't mind lifeless NPCs.

from what I heard graphic settings have alot to do with this. was yours maxed out?

5. No day / night cycle.

not a game breaker here either.

6. No swimming

would be a nice feature and hopefully they plan on adding it. although with the gear some of the guys wear is it any wonder they can't swim :p

7. Space combat

this is definitely something i hope they add in the future.

i kinda knew this one since all the videos depict humans

i heard its slow until you lvl up and get sprint. either way moving slow is always a downfall

no opinion

once again, what graphics settings are you using? from everything i read the enviroment is beautiful and detailed down to the single blades of grass.

12. Cannot custom UI

yeah, this i hope they change soon.

care to elaborate?

thank goodness. chat bubbles are annoying and i usually turn it off anyway.

no opinion

...guess maybe i will jump into the game for a bit just to see how detailed the world is at maxxed settings.

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

Although there are some issues with graphic bugs and other details already mentioned, I did enjoy playing a Sith Sin.

I created a Jedi Knight and got to level 3 and couldnt bear anymore, Story line was just dull and didnt have the action that I did with the Sith.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

My biggest annoyance was my TAB key not working out of combat

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

5. No day / night cycle.

6. No swimming

7. Space combat

12. Cannot custom UI

Complaints here are pretty valid, by my viewpoint.

Lets see...

Character creation is pretty lame, could easily have a color selector instead of pre-determined colors for hair/body etc. Body sizes are truly ridiculous. Beards are like cut and paste incredibly cheesy low quality and just make me feel like most everyone with one is in a disguise! Somem facial decorations come with beards too lol...

Completed quest log is rather simple.

I've played 3 start planets and some on the second Sith world, pretty lifeless...ofcourse one of those was a desert ;)

No day/night cycle, yep lame.

Swimming/water effects, yep lame...swimming could be quite freaky  and exciting in Star Wars...great exploration potential...but exploration isn't the best in this game.

Haven't touched space combat.

I woulda been playing a Rodian as well :/

Other than those comments, I'm enjoying the game, and everything I mentioned could be included in the future or by launch haha...

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

My biggest annoyance was my TAB key not working out of combat

I just remapped my targetting keys. There are still a few bugs for sure but not like some new MMOs I've tested.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

the features you list are minor insignifigant unimportant things.

Travel time? you get mount at higher level.

So if these things are your only beefs, then the game must be really good for you

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Like it or not this MMO has more AT LAUNCH than most any other MMO has had.  That says a lot about the company making the game.  As for all of your complaints OP, for the most part, what wasn't petty to begin with the Devs have said most of that stuff will be added after launch.  Noe if s year down the road if most of those things are still a problem, THEN it will be time to complain.  For now though, I'll just make suggestions officially to the company and see what happens.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

No programmable UI.  In this day and age, it's an absolute must for me.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

When testing and the evaluation boxes pop up, just paste  your list in the comments section each time :P

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Number 1 is the only real bad part of the game,i cannot beleive they made one female and one male model there is just no excuse for such a lack of effort.I don't even understand it,a studio would have people that just work on characters and animations,you can't tell me those people spent several years to make two models.

I can skip down to 7 because i beleive if you are going to enter the sci fi genre,you had better have both space and land apsects in the game.If you can't deliver that ,then stay out of the genre.Ya you heard me right Eve,same goes for you.

8 There is other races to choose from not just human,but since it is the exact same model,it is meaningless.

9 travel is done very well imo.There is taxis to get around but there is usually something to do on the way that doesn't need faster travel.You won't travel too far with nothing to kill.

12 UI needs to be customizied?I am extremely limited by how a UI needs to work for me and yet it still works fine for me.There is nothing missing that needs to be there.

13 well consider GW2 won't even have guild halls.Everyone clammering over Skyrim which doesn't have guilds at all,because it isn't a MMO.

14 chat bubbles ?lol umm i think that would be the least concern of mine.

15 That is how a water zone is made :D 

Really only number 1 is the biggest glaring problem this game has.IDK is it possible there is other models but were locked out of Beta?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Focusing on the negative:

Character creation doesn't bother me entirely.  Quite frankly, I find it silly that people expected to have total control over their characters' appearance.  Where was the precedent for that idea?  Was it Rift?  Was it Final Fantasy XIV?  What game released this year that pretty much dictated that all MMORPGs have to have in depth character creation in order to be perceived worth playing.  Dragon Age I & II as well as Neverwinter Nights all had relatively basic character creation.  In Fact, BioWare has never made a game, to my knowledge, with anything other than the ability to select from a few distinct body styles, faces, and hair styles.  That said, I am somewhat upset with the body styles.  I find they generally swing too far in one direction.   Aside from that I have no complaints.

I too would like a completed quest log if for nothing else to see how many quests I've completed or to determine whether or not I have actually completed a quest that I think I may need.  I find it rather silly that such functionality is not already in the game honestly.

Each planet is certainly expansive (not boxed in at all), but they do feel a bit lifeless.  There are no day/night cycles, and everything just feels placed in one spot simply to be available for you to kill it.  I don't really know how to explain it or to really give examples of how it differs from other MMORPGs aside from a lack of day/night cycles.  The zones just don't feel alive for whatever reason.

The way you get your advance class seems weird and hopefully will be changed on release.  Currently, you go to your fleet center after finishing your home planet, but you really don't have the first clue as to what all you can do there, and you have even less of an idea as to what to do to start your quest for your advanced class.  A quest for your AC should be given to you the moment you step foot on the station rather than something you have to discover for yourself.  That said, the quests were sort of silly as well.  They're all basically go here and talk to this guy.  Go talk to another guy.  Go back to the first guy.  Why not just go talk to your class trainer and pick there?

There was a surprising amount of bugs for a game 3 weeks away from release.  I played the Rift alpha, and I've gotta say that Rift was far more stable and bug free near release than SW:TOR seems to be unless we're playing on a much older client.  I haven't encountered anything game breaking, but the progress bars for various skills or player actions seems borked and character portraits still have a tendancy to get glitchy.

Texture pop-in is an issue and is extremely noticeable in areas with a large amount of players.  There's also a tiny bit of flickering going on in certain areas, and many times characters' lips won't move during certain parts of cutscenes.

With this build, there's an annoying glitch which causes players to hear one liners from other players' companions which can get insanely annoying.

Players have difficulty logging in/out of the game.  Many players keep getting stuck at the SW:TOR splash screen upon login.  My problem is that I get stuck at the splash screen when logging out almost every time.  BioWare recommends an alt + f4.  Still, not sure it's encouraging when, of all things, the log out feature is bugged 3 weeks from release.

I'm not sure if anyone else had this problem, but at the start of the test, I actually couldn't progress through the main story without a re-log (where I discovered the freezing at the splash screen) due to the fact that I couldn't complete a main story mission because my character would never go into a cutscene.  When clicking the NPC, he would stand there with "..." above his head as if the cutscene is loading, but it never loaded.

Multiplayer dialogue is a nice touch, but it's not perfect.  In flashpoints, on occasion you'll spend more time waiting for players to pick their dialogue choice than you will actually listening to a character speak.  For me, the pauses really disrupted the flow of the scene.  Next, holoprojections are nice, but a couple times players in my group were able to join a holo conversation but could not continue through the conversation because all their options were greyed out.  Being there in person, I couldn't advance the quest dialogue because the game wanted me to wait on my group member who couldn't select anything.

Most of my issues with SW:TOR are technical though.  As an mmorpg, I think it stands toe to toe with any other game on the market today.  It's not a world beater, and it's not likely to entice you to leave WoW unless you have some other reason for checking out the game, but for those of us who love MMORPGs and who love Star Wars, it's a perfect marriage.  BioWare's classic touch really improves the quality of even the most mundane quests, which makes the PvE some of the best I have ever played.  

I've been playing the beta since the servers came online.  Instead of going with the Jedi Sentinel which I played in an October beta weekend and who is the character I plan to play at release, I decided to mix it up a bit so I wouldn't burn myself out of the content.  I picked an Imperial Bounty Hunter, and I haven't stopped since the servers came online.  Currently level 17 as of a temporary server shutdown.

SW:TOR is a very good game if you go into it with the right mindset.  BioWare hasn't made any promises they haven't kept.  Most likely, a lot of the reason you may dislike the game is because the game was simply not what you thought it would be. If you take the game for what it is rather than what it isn't, you might be quite pleased.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Server's are down, I'll respond.

I'll agree with you there, however I love trolling warzones watching the body type fours sprint all over the place.

Yeah, when you log in you'll get an overview of what's happened in your class quest, but not side ones. The overview is actually pretty helpful jogging memories about key elements. 

Social hubs felt eased in, since everyone is playing the game; seems useless to have them, but they're in, can't complain, give rested xp. 

Yep. For worlds that are large, especially after the origin worlds, most is empty space. 

5. No day / night cycle.

Yep. 

6. No swimming

Yep.

7. Space combat

Fun as hell. Nice break for a change.

Eh, yeah, races available will change. That's a given. Doesn't exactly help after you create a character.

Painfully slow until you get to level 14. Sprint is my new wife.

Good reason for this; they wanted you to choose a race because of your personal choice, not by any numerical difference's. They didn't want people feeling pidgeon-held to roll a Miraluka just because they get a +2% to healing. Min-maxer's do care.

Pretty decent, Better then most leading MMO's out there. If you now how to edit you .ini file, you can force AA along with increasing resolution and shadow detail.

12. Cannot custom UI

Not really, RIFT does a great job of letting you customize your UI, TOR does have some healer perks, you can change the height of the healthbar's to be enormous.

Not only guild features; but grouping features as well. Very dated. 

Been added and taken out so many times we lost count.

Haven't encountered this yet after 26 levels.

If this game didn't have the absolutely amazing value of gameplay, I would no doubt pass on this title. I can't explain, but I'm engrossed in the story, and gameplay. The feel of TOR is unlike any MMO out there because of the Out of Combat Regen. Takes a whole new perspective on healing in flashpoints. Speaking of which, four people happens to fit quite well, the fact that companions can fill roles helps too. Did Esseles three times with only three people, amazing.

The common knowledge of MMO's is you never really play one until you hit max level. Most entry-game stuff ushers/prepares you to/for the end. This game completely removes that. I haven't reached end-game, I can't comment on any of that, but my initial experience has surpassed any other MMO I've played (my MMO history reaches double digits over a five year span.) While it's far from perfect, the content is there, glitches aside the game is done. You can get from 1-50. Over time, things will improve. Like most MMO's, as long as the supports there.  

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• forty4plus2forty4plus2 Member Posts: 69

A couple of things:

The reason there isn't a Day/night cycle is because of the artistic direction.  The wanted each world to have a certain look and feel to them and also as a sort of allegory to the fall and rise of the empire (night and dusk) and republic (daytime and morning). 

Also, the reason there isn't "non-humanlike" races is because Bioware wanted playable characters that are relatable. And if you look at the Star Wars universe there aren't many main characters who are non-human.

But, everything else the OP has stated are not gamebreakers for me.  Most of it will likely be expanded upon after release. At least I hope ;-)

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Original Post in 4 words "It's not a sandbox."

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by forty4plus2

Also, the reason there isn't "non-humanlike" races is because Bioware wanted playable characters that are relatable. And if you look at the Star Wars universe there aren't many main characters who are non-human.

Yep, they're pretty much all sidekicks / companions and background characters, just like in the game haha...Yoda, Jabba = rare stuff.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by forty4plus2

A couple of things:

The reason there isn't a Day/night cycle is because of the artistic direction.  The wanted each world to have a certain look and feel to them and also as a sort of allegory to the fall and rise of the empire (night and dusk) and republic (daytime and morning). 

But, everything else the OP has stated are not gamebreakers for me.  Most of it will likely be expanded upon after release. At least I hope ;-)

Those are reasons, but they are not exactly good reasons.  

Even some of the humanoid races puzzle me.  Cyborg?  Why is that an extra race and not just a human facial feature?  How about the Nautolan?

• forty4plus2forty4plus2 Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Those are reasons, but they are not exactly good reasons.  

Even some of the humanoid races puzzle me.  Cyborg?  Why is that an extra race and not just a human facial feature?  How about the Nautolan?

Yea, I'm not sure what's up with the cyborg thing.  I imagine it effects certain quests similar to how a few Pureblood quests are.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.