Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now... what was all the secrecy for?

2»

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Nibs

This has happened time and time again. Bioware opted to simply not mention something until they were certain it would make it in, in some form, for release.

That's what all the secrecy was about: Not giving the whiny arsed bitches anything to whine about.

Well, I wouldn't state it quite it terms like that, but its essentially accurate.

Developers learned a long, long time ago that you have to treat the public like a ticking bomb.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

i'm not sure what the problem is.  Every game I've participated in beta has had an NDA.  I think this is a non issue

I self identify as a monkey.

• DarkerFateDarkerFate Member UncommonPosts: 100

Originally posted by Yamota

Originally posted by dubyahite

Originally posted by Quesa

Originally posted by Yamota

It is to build up expectations and make more people pre-order. Now what we know that the game is a mix of Mass Effect and WoW with nothing truly innovative the expectations will probably go down.

Um, it was known that the game had these attributes long before the NDA lift.

Haha yeah. If you didn't know that before the NDA lift then I don't know what to tell you. 

That is was a mix of Mass Effect and WoW was given, but I did not know that there would not be anything truly innovative and just copy-paste from other games. I know Blizzard had this reputation but not Bioware.

Seriously? How have you NOT heard about the Knight of the Old Republic franchise yet?

Mass Effect and WoW... by the gods. KotOR and WoW, sure... even though... you know, KotOR is an RPG based in space and all.

Gamer by nature,
    poet by heart.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Now... what was all the secrecy for?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its a secret. image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Elikal

You know, a few hours before "half-open" beta, I can not help but wonder... what the heck was all the secrecy for?

I mean, in those 2+ years, Bioware always had their "we can't talk about this", making people belief what never seen before things we should expect. Now while TOR sure is a good and decend game... I wonder where the innovation is? Maybe it is ok that TOR is just WOW in space, I don't mind that. But then what was the secrecy for? Weren't we always told some super, never seen stuff was brewed there? Endgame as never before! PVP systems as never seen!

I dunno, compared too the total standard fare MMO SWTOR is, I can only laugh about all their shush-hush-secrecy they celebrated all these years! Ohhh we have such a secret... and then it's just a game like so many before. How... odd.

Would you prefer the opposite? for example look at funcom, they promise you the world and deliver very little on that promise. Still waiting for player run cities and bar fights in age of conan.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

NDA is there to protect the game for the most part. Especially while a game is in beta stages and bugs are still being worked out the system as well as features a dev hopes will make it in then last minute has to take it out etc... You see what happened once the flood gates opened and the NDA was dropped???? gamers for and against this game started posting on all the various sites and blogs. If you read some of the posts from players that don't like this game you'll see some players that changed their mind about tryong the game out based purely on another gamers experience and opinions.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by Supersoups

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Icewhite

Look, it's a variant of Standard Bash #14.

Let's turn the question around: Why are you still posting these?

It's ok to talk and talk and talk youself into not liking something.  Don't spend your cash, that's all right.

But what's the payoff for remaining incendiary long after it matters?

That's a good question. At some point he has to realize this game isn't for him and move on to another game in development.

Nah that is not going to happen. Some people just can not let it go. 

{mod edit}

As far as keeping things under wrap....I agree with saving news until each function is indeed in game.  WoW talked about prestige classes, and yet they werent in. Darkfall promised the moon, and delivered Cleveland. To a game like WoW, it wasnt such a deal breaker as rest of game was pretty smooth. A game like DF though, the folks were screaming WTF.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

They are holding back real details on the legacy system we know now we can have a family surname for all characters on one server. We know they can build up legacy pts but what are legacy pts and what do they do for u.

what other aspects are there to the legacy system> Does this mean where u can build a family that if u play a class that has a zabrak and wanna play a non zabrak class that because u did one class high enough u can now play that class as a zabrak>

Im saying as far as i can guess the big reveal if they have any left is all about there legacy system.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Good point moaky. I still remember the uproar on the STO boards when it was discovered that Klingons would be pvp only. Just one of many broken promises made by cryptic.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by ktanner3

Good point moaky. I still remember the uproar on the STO boards when it was discovered that Klingons would be pvp only. Just one of many broken promises made by cryptic.

Dude....wasnt the total dev time on STO like 5 minutes? Anyone expecting things to work, and plenty of content  in STO were setting themselves up for a heartbreak.

The sad part is that just like SWG, STO brought in non-MMO gamers due to the IP. They had no clue what a "good" game was, and bought the title anyways. At least SOE didnt hit the folks for lifetime subs.  {mod edit}

The iciing for Cryptic was when they told folks if they wanted an exlusive perk(think it was a ship model), they had to get 6 folks to sign up. I wonder just how many people went out and bought 6 more copies, only to find out they could buy that perk a couple months later for like 5 bucks?

{mod edit}

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Originally posted by Elikal

You know, a few hours before "half-open" beta, I can not help but wonder... what the heck was all the secrecy for?

I mean, in those 2+ years, Bioware always had their "we can't talk about this", making people belief what never seen before things we should expect. Now while TOR sure is a good and decend game... I wonder where the innovation is? Maybe it is ok that TOR is just WOW in space, I don't mind that. But then what was the secrecy for? Weren't we always told some super, never seen stuff was brewed there? Endgame as never before! PVP systems as never seen!

I dunno, compared too the total standard fare MMO SWTOR is, I can only laugh about all their shush-hush-secrecy they celebrated all these years! Ohhh we have such a secret... and then it's just a game like so many before. How... odd.

Forget the features of a product – and forget the benefits too. Focus on how you can ride the biological train of what human beings want most, and ride it all the way to the bank.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"