Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DeaconX Reviews SWTOR (5 months of testing)

Comments

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.   Pay no mind to people flaming you.  All reviews are based on opinion and you have done more than enough to post yours with supporting information, which is all anyone can ask.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Should try to at least hide the bias for a respectable review.

Big difference between a review, informed review, and a respectable informed review FYI.

Emotional?

I'm a fucking Vulcan, how can I be emotional?

People read emotion in text how they choose to read it.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by Precusor

Originally posted by omome

Ever since DeaconX began to realize TOR wasn't going to be anything like SWG, he's been acting like someone peed in his cheerios.

That kinda explains the ridiculous review.

That's all I've been trying to say.

It's like, find a UO vet who hated the Trammel/Felucca split, who when moved on to something like AC Darktide or whatever and then moved on to SWG, quit after NGE/CU, then moved on and has been playing EVE ever since in 0.0 space....

Then put a copy of WoW:Cataclysm in front of them and tell them to write a "review."

What you get?

99% opinion piece. Which, of course, that person would be entitled to, but to pass it off as a review and try and sell it to people as being ANYTHING but their own subjective venting and ravings?

Dishonest, immoral and purposeful spread of misinformation.

Kind of like Fox news!

Once Again:  A REVIEW IS AN OPINION.  It is 100% opinion based on that person's experience and POV.  Anyone with half a brain should know to take someone's bias into account when they read a review for anything.  If you try to take a review as fact, then you don't understand what a review is.  If false facts are used in a review, feel free to correct them, but you cannot correct someone's opinion.  They have do to that on thier own.

A report, as in a "consumer report" is expected to be more based on fact, but a review is always opinion-based.  Reviews are subjective.  The fact that he is biased by his love of sandbox games doesn't make his review any less valid, but should be taken into account.  I've been reading reviews about the new Galaxy Nexus phone for weeks now, and they range from 'Hate it" to "It's my Jesus".  I read many different reviews, then come to a conclusion that will help me decide to buy it.  Spock, where is your in-depth review?  I would truly enjoy reading it, because I am reading them all around this site.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ArtheariusArthearius Member UncommonPosts: 22

Kind of like Fox news!

ugh, he drinks the Lib Kool-aid.  

I feel foolish for even arguing with you now.  

All biased reviews are bad reviews.

A true reviewer puts aside their bias.

Being able to objectively review something is like... the qualification for being a good professional reviewer.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by kwai

Originally posted by Narcin1

Your review seems comprehensive yet amateur. You see-you seemed a bit biased. For example, and the reason your total score is so low, is because you flunked almost everything without hardly giving anything credit. To review an MMO fairly, and justly, you need to give it the credit it deserves for what it has supplied.  All you've done is set up a concocton of categories in order to dissect any general MMO. For example, if an MMO didn't have Housing then you would give it a 0/10 for that category? Maybe you should readjust your reviewing process to address all relevant information, then exploit BOTH pro's and cons in order to provide the best review. Otherwise, you sound like IGN-who are a bunch of shitasses. 

By all means bash a game if you really didn't like it, but at least do it the right way and by it supper first.

Also, you seem like too much of an arrogant asshat to post on someone else's site, maybe you should start your own.

Have you even played the game yet  or played it enough ? , you seem like an awefull diehard BioWare / StarWars fan and will do anything to keep your perfect scenario.

Considering the history of comments you have made about this game, you strike me as a big fat troll, so much more so than he would strike me as a blind fanboi and he doesn't strike me as a fanboi at all.  I assume you use that as your canned argument to shut people down or somehow justify your point of view?

By the way, this is most definitely an Opinion Editorial and not even remotely a Review or Preview of the game.

• skulljoeskulljoe Member Posts: 89

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Anyone with half a brain should know to take someone's bias into account when they read a review for anything.  If you try to take a review as fact, then you don't understand what a review is.  If false facts are used in a review, feel free to correct them, but you cannot correct someone's opinion.  They have do to that on thier own.

A report, as in a "consumer report" is expected to be more based on fact, but a review is always opinion-based.  

And thats why most of game reviews are just game reports

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Would I pay $60 to play this game if it was Single player? 

Yes

Would I pay monthly for this game with its 'multiplayer'?

No

hahaha.  You hold a very high opinion of yourself, though your words speak a different story entirely.

You throw the word 'shill' around a lot. So who do you believe we are shilling for, exactly?  Or are you just using the word incorrectly? 

I've learned to embrace my brilliance for what it is : both a blessing and a curse.

I believe there is a particular group on this website who seem to take joy and/or pleasure in trying to subvert others to their way of thinking in the misguided belief that their opinions are some how more "correct" then anyone elses.

It is very much OK to not like a game, just like it is very much OK to like a game, but when you offer up your list of whys and why nots and call it a review it should be as objective as possible and logical.

Not this thread is a completely and totally subjective opinion piece. (with rare exception)

So yes, I do believe this is not a review, and not just because it is negative towards a game I rather enjoy, but because it lacks any credibility or the logic and rationality that would give it credibility.

There are plenty of "fanbois" on this site and blindly follow the charge towards mediocracy like so many do in this world, but there are also plenty of "haters" who spew their nonsensical bile with the same passion and lack of perspective, reason, and rationality.

Everybody is shilling for someone/something, in the end.

I am a shill for logic.

And reason.

Saying "I don't like something because I don't like it" is not logical nor reasonable in the context of a review, that is all.

You speak about "logic" yet your own posts are full of logical falacy and straw man arguments.  Should I point one out for you, Dr. Logic?  "Everybody is shilling for someone/something, in the end."  And what empirical evidence brought you to this logical conclusion, exactly?  Or how about the straw man argument "Saying "I don't like something because I don't like it" is not logical nor reasonable in the context of a review, that is all."  He said nothing of the sort, and what you posted here is a straw man.

You better keep working on that whole 'logic' thing.  I'm pretty sure Spock would pimp-slap you if he was real.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

I think the review just confirms my belief that some people have outgrown gaming.

Nothing personal and I don't mean it as an insult. I just think as people grow, they look for more than they should from a game.

Ever since DeaconX began to realize TOR wasn't going to be anything like SWG, he's been acting like someone peed in his cheerios.

It's like, find a UO vet who hated the Trammel/Felucca split, who when moved on to something like AC Darktide or whatever and then moved on to SWG, quit after NGE/CU, then moved on and has been playing EVE ever since in 0.0 space....

Then put a copy of WoW:Cataclysm in front of them and tell them to write a "review."

What you get?

99% opinion piece. Which, of course, that person would be entitled to, but to pass it off as a review and try and sell it to people as being ANYTHING but their own subjective venting and ravings?

Kind of like Fox news!

Once Again:  A REVIEW IS AN OPINION.  It is 100% opinion based on that person's experience and POV.  Anyone with half a brain should know to take someone's bias into account when they read a review for anything.  If you try to take a review as fact, then you don't understand what a review is.  If false facts are used in a review, feel free to correct them, but you cannot correct someone's opinion.  They have do to that on thier own.

A report, as in a "consumer report" is expected to be more based on fact, but a review is always opinion-based.  Reviews are subjective.  The fact that he is biased by his love of sandbox games doesn't make his review any less valid, but should be taken into account.  I've been reading reviews about the new Galaxy Nexus phone for weeks now, and they range from 'Hate it" to "It's my Jesus".  I read many different reviews, then come to a conclusion that will help me decide to buy it.  Spock, where is your in-depth review?  I would truly enjoy reading it, because I am reading them all around this site.

You are incorrect.  A review lists what a game has or does not have to offer.  This can be done in a stand alone list or it can be done in comparison to what is considered a normal or average MMO list of features..  It does not rate them nor is it suppose to reflect the likes or dislikes of the reviewer.  If you want to go that route, then you write up an opinoin piece, not a review.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

But problem is that a lot of reviews even though opiniated peice always contain mis information and without correcting the opinion you can not correct that mis information. For example OP says there is hardly any reason to form communities in TOR. When i said that there are plenty of incentives like  PVP, flashpints, heroics and there is also an option to ally with other 3 guilds the response i got was 'i want something like SWG'.

I consider this is a mis information more than a bias. Say you don't like the guild system i would agree but do not say there are no incentives at all to form a guild. So yeah you can correct someone's opinion even if they are not asking for it.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Pretty much any review you read is going to be biased. Especially to a person who doesn't agree with it.

Player's are biased for obvious reasons, and I trust "official" or so called "professional" reviews even less. 

Besides playing it yourself, the best gauge anyone will get is to wait until 1-2 months after release, and see what the general concensus on the game is. By then rose colored glasses get taken off, and complaints will be legitimized or proven wong.

The op's review was pretty negative, but at least he put went into detail about it,and responded to people's questions and stuff, more than most player reviews will do.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

What you get?

Kind of like Fox news!

You are incorrect.  A review lists what a game has or does not have to offer.  This can be done in as a stand alone list or it can be done in comparison to what is considered a normal or average MMO list of features..  It does not rate them nor is it suppose to reflect the likes or dislikes of the reviewer.  If you want to go that route, then you write up an opinoin piece, not a review.

You people are simply wrong.  Someone point me to a review on this website, written by anyone, that reads like a list of facts.  One without subjective opinion in it.  I look forward to your many links.

What you are talking about is a list of facts, not a review.  I have yet to see a review that reads like this. 

Originally posted by Supersoups

But problem is that a lot of reviews even though opiniated peice always contain mis information and without correcting the opinion you can not correct that mis information. For example OP says there is hardly any reason to form communities in TOR. When i said that there are plenty of incentives like  PVP, flashpints, heroics and there is also an option to ally with other 3 guilds the response i got was 'i want something like SWG'.

I consider this is a mis information more than a bias. Say you don't like the guild system i would agree but do not say there are no incentives at all to form a guild. So yeah you can correct someone's opinion even if they are not asking for it.

That seems to have more to do with what the op considers a community, over misiniformation. Everyone knows the game has pvp and instanced dungeons, but I myself think that does nothing to form communities. All you have to do is go to wow and see what I mean.

You are incorrect.  A review lists what a game has or does not have to offer.  This can be done in a stand alone list or it can be done in comparison to what is considered a normal or average MMO list of features..  It does not rate them nor is it suppose to reflect the likes or dislikes of the reviewer.  If you want to go that route, then you write up an opinoin piece, not a review.

Thank you, been trying to get that message across this entire thread.

What you get?

Kind of like Fox news!

You are incorrect.  A review lists what a game has or does not have to offer.  This can be done in as a stand alone list or it can be done in comparison to what is considered a normal or average MMO list of features..  It does not rate them nor is it suppose to reflect the likes or dislikes of the reviewer.  If you want to go that route, then you write up an opinoin piece, not a review.

You people are simply wrong.  Someone point me to a review on this website, written by anyone, that reads like a list of facts.  One without subjective opinion in it.  I look forward to your many links.

What you are talking about is a list of facts, not a review.  I have yet to see a review that reads like this. 

It's not my fault if people mislabel their Op Ed's as reviews.

I agree. I mistated facts should be called out.  I have no problem with that whatsoever.  However, telling someone they are wrong because they gave the story element a 5/10, is just plain stupid.  How can you fault someone for stating their opinion about art direction, or story content for example?  You can't.  All you can do is disagree, and state your reasons for your opnion on the matter.

In my opinion, the story of the classes I tried is about a 6-7/10 at best.  Am I wrong?  If so, what facts can you use to dispute it?

Perhaps you missed the part where most people of intelligence have always questioned or even sharply criticized the very nature of video game reviews from sites like this and other more main-stream sites?

Which is why a few posts ago I said "everyone is a shill for someone/something in the end."

Make more sense now?

Be it corporate masters, sponsers, or their own bias.

Try and keep up...

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

What you get?

Kind of like Fox news!

While they do have some opinions to them, these two "reviews" I felt had very little bias towards them.  

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/332133/SWTOR-Beta-Review-long-read.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/332347/Directly-from-beta.html

Originally posted by jadedlevir

That seems to have more to do with what the op considers a community, over misiniformation. Everyone knows the game has pvp and instanced dungeons, but I myself think that does nothing to form communities. All you have to do is go to wow and see what I mean.

Communities are formed by players every game can just provide you with enough tools to do so. Does TOR does that? yes. Now if you don't like the incentives that is whole another reason but to say there are no incetives at all is mis information. 

Ccommunities are formed by players every game can just provide you with enough tools to do so. Does TOR does that? yes. Now if you don't like the incentives that is whole another reason but to say there are no incetives at all is mis information. 

Yes, and if the op's opinion of what constitutes a community is different then your's, then those incentives don't apply towards his form of "communities" as they do yours.

Yes, and if the op's opinion of what constitutes a community is different then your's, then those incentives don't apply towards his form of "communities" as they do yours.

Well he did reply to me saying he is looking for something like SWG. ;o 

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Originally posted by Teala

Actually Deacon is, was, one of the biggest fans of this gmae when it first was announced.  I remember howexcited he was when he heardit was being made.    His write up was really accurate on he whole of the game for the most part.   To just blow off his commentary like he doesn't know what he is talking about is wrong.   He is an avid MMORPG gamer with lots of experience beta testing and playing these games.   I for one appreciate the time and effort he took to write this up.  Thanks Deacon!

Yes thanks Deacon. Your review hits spot on with what I expected. Excellent read and the floundering rebuttals were quite entertaining as well.

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Originally posted by Teala

Actually Deacon is, was, one of the biggest fans of this gmae when it first was announced.  I remember howexcited he was when he heardit was being made.    His write up was really accurate on he whole of the game for the most part.   To just blow off his commentary like he doesn't know what he is talking about is wrong.   He is an avid MMORPG gamer with lots of experience beta testing and playing these games.   I for one appreciate the time and effort he took to write this up.  Thanks Deacon!

Yes thanks Deacon. Your review hits spot on with what I expected. Excellent read and the floundering rebuttals were quite entertaining as well.

Posts like these reminds me of football matches. Everyone wants to suppport fans of their favorite team and punch  fans of rival teams. I see similar posts when something very positive is posted. 

"the flundering rebuttals were quite entertaining".

This discussion has been closed.