Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extreme voice acting, Not an mmo in my OPINION.

Comments

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

This guy is a troll, just take a stroll over to the Rift forums and you'll see that he has a thread claiming that Rift is a solo game. It's apparent that he doesn't like theme park games, and takes pleasure in trolling the communities

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

People that like blue and don't like red look at the red game and say: YOU'RE TOO RED!

People that like red and don't like bue look at the blue game and say: YOU'RE TOO BLUE!

Developers keep trying to make a purple game... which makes the Blue haters say, "too red"....Red haters say, "too blue!"

See a trend?

People won't change their opinions that they already have going in.  Game releases just give them a reasons to be noisy about it.

Oh, and now that that lesson in human nature is concluded:...

The voice acting is opional ... just skip it if you don't like it.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Gormok

This guy is a troll, just take a stroll over to the Rift forums and you'll see that he has a thread claiming that Rift is a solo game. It's apparent that he doesn't like theme park games, and takes pleasure in trolling the communities

Well he loves Vanguard no doubt..... maybe he expects all these new games to be smashing success like Vanguard.

*shrugs*

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Originally posted by dubyahite

Originally posted by ktanner3

Do you people also skip the voice acting in arkahm city? I don't understand the mentality of paying for a game and skipping the story. Makes no sense to me but its your money to burn. Just dont come back complaining about a stale game.

Wanting to skip the VO is not the same as wanting to skip the story.

In what way?

I like story.  I read books.  I do not listen to audio books.

Same here, but I also prefer "the talkies" to silent movies.

Each to his own I guess.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Wonder if this game will give birth to: TLDL (Too Long, Didnt Listen) recaps...

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by tuppe99

Originally posted by jerlot65

Yes you can skip the so called boring story lines but really, if you're going to do that you might as well no play this game.  Bioware is putting what they do best in this game and thats story.  Tons of people are going to love this game, but the rest are going to hate it becuase they dont like story and always love the treadmills.  Go play another MMO if you dont like the key features of this one.

Unfortunately, BioWare is also putting what they do worst into this game and that is a closed world.

Both this game and WoW are theme-parks, but compared WoW almost seems like a sandbox. At least in WoW, when I see a tree or a mountain there in the distance, I will be able to get there, and if I cannot walk there, I can fly there.

In SWTOR, I got incredibly excited to see Tatooine and the desert around the quest hub where I just landed. And what do I find? You can only walk a few yards in each direction before "fatigue" sets in. It was HUGELY disappointing and that was when I cancelleld my pre-order.

My plan now is to wait for the free month to pass and then I will see what the fanbase is saying before I decide to pick it up again or not.

On the topic of the VO: I found it fun.

I actually did travel to there, tatoonie that is. Thats because on a PvP server you don't want the other side to jump into the questing area and start ganking people while they are questing. i've noticed that when your talking to someone your still in the world with a little speech bubble above your head with 3 dots.

Thus they seperated the quest hub from the rest of the world. about 99% sure the rest of tatoonie is set up normally. Add to that Tatoonie is the only one that seems to have that fatigue system from what i'm aware of. I went to hoth and just wandered around (best i could anyway with the mobs being so much higher level then me.)

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

I was listening to reviews on twitch.tv and there was a panel of 4 or 5 people and 2 said they were going to spacebar/skip the cutscenes/story at launch. It is a little funny to see people skipping imo one part of the game that is truly different and makes the game extremely fun, but everyone has a right to play how they want and thats fine. What makes me smile though is that these people who don't enjoy the story/give it a chance/or just want to power level to show how awesome they are are still purchasing the game. I think that says a lot about the game. :)

imageimage

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by gaou

So there is no text option...?

there are subtitles that you can turn on, but no text box with everything that was said.  the quest log just gives a short description of what you have to do and why

Oh, oh well.  That's kind of a shame.  I did not realize that (still waiting on the invite, waiting, waiting, lol).  So I can see where folks are saying that people that want to skip the VO are wanting to skip the story...even though they may just be wanting to skip the VO and read what was said instead of listening to it.

Oh there most certainly is. You can turn on subtitles if you want. The VO still plays over it, but I guess you can read faster then they can talk and just skip when you read the text. Seems kind of like putting closed caption on during a movie and turning the sound off though.  I would definitely relate the cutscenes more to a movie than a book, but to each his own i guess.

Okay, so another question here then.  I had thought there was VO outside of the cutscenes.  This makes it seem like it is during the cutscenes.  Or perhaps it is a case of both...
    Basically, going back to what I had asked earlier - it would have been a case of wanting to skip the VO, but read the dialogue - in regard to normal VO (if such exists).  In regard to cutscenes, I take it you are going to lose out on story by skipping them - since it appears unlikely there is any dialogue/summary you can read of what took place during it?
    I'm not a fan of cutscenes in the least.  I like to play the game, not watch the game.  I like opening scenes, before you actually start to play - like things like that available from a website to watch - about stuff going on in the gameworld...but while I'm playing, well - I like to play.
    Hrmm, I had been trying to hold off on most questions in the belief that they would be answered whenever I received an invite - so I did not end up hearing the wrong thing one way or the other.  I've asked a few times about this here and there, but it is generally met with aggression... perhaps it is the time of day.
    Thanks for being patient with me.

The majority of the cutscenes are just from talking to NPCs and picking up/turning in quests. There are also conversations in flashpoints that periodically happen (not too much, but enough to feel important).
    There is some ambient VO when you're walking around a city you will hear NPC's talking or you might here another persons companion talking, this isn't really story related specifically though.

As far as skipping the VO, there is no summary of the story afterwards. In your case when you play the beta you might try turning on subtitles and reading them, then just hitting spacebar after you read it. It won't skip the whole conversation but just move to the next characters sentence, read that rinse and repeat.
    Another thing that lessens the cutscenes for you could be skipping some of the side quests (although some of them have long quest chains with interesting side-stories) but pay attention to the main story. Just an idea.
    Beyond that though, even though you don't really like cutscenes I would highly recommend giving them a chance without subtitles at first. I found them to be highly immersive and usually interesting. 

You do have a mission log. You're not completely flying blind by skipping voice overs. I wouldn't recommend skipping them though. It really is a major part of the experience. I'm not sure I'd recommend the game to someone who actually hates voice overs.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Really nothing to say but, you re a moron.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

So, for years people have been complaining that themepark games were boring, and grindy....with NPCs just standing around distributing quests like PEZ dispensors.

So...Bioware gives us something different, and better.

And suddenly it's "not an mmo" anymore??

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

It's not an mmo if the open worlds primary purpose is to serve as a lobby for instances. In that case it is a series of online games integrated in a framework.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by ktanner3
    Do you people also skip the voice acting in arkahm city? I don't understand the mentality of paying for a game and skipping the story. Makes no sense to me but its your money to burn. Just dont come back complaining about a stale game.
    Wanting to skip the VO is not the same as wanting to skip the story.

In what way?

I like story.  I read books.  I do not listen to audio books.

Do you also walk out 5 seconds into a movie because you're bored of sitting through it?

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Lowcaian

It's not an mmo if the open worlds primary purpose is to serve as a lobby for instances. In that case it is a series of online games integrated in a framework.

Yeah, I would give you that.

But that's not the case with TOR.

I know. I've been playing for months.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

People will never be happy...  Most complain just to hear themselves complain.  I have been in the beta for a year now and the only ones that I hear complaining about the VO are those that are trying to rush their way to 50.  They can't just click "Accept" for the quest and buzz on so they can get to the end and complain about no one being there. 

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

That is not what I experienced during months of play. The open world serves plenty of purpose as well as offers plenty of content. Instancing is used for class quests and Flashpoints, the rest of the game is wide open. THe starting worlds are comprised of (i think) 60% class related content. That percentage turns on it's head once you reach the core worlds (get your ship)...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by Locklain

People will never be happy...  Most complain just to hear themselves complain.  I have been in the beta for a year now and the only ones that I hear complaining about the VO are those that are trying to rush their way to 50.  They can't just click "Accept" for the quest and buzz on so they can get to the end and complain about no one being there. 

I haven t been in quite a year, but I agree with this statement. On that note, what exactly is the rush nowadays anyways.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I have a terrible habit I sometimes have the paperback from buying them while living in Singapore you get second hand books even new ones almost immediately and I listen to the audio while I let my eye run on the paperback in my hand . However if I am cooking or doing housework I just listen to the audio but it is quite an amazing experience especially if the voice reading the book is simple magnificent. My mind's voice is never that good nor that good at doing accents or voices. So in the end the book is elevated because of the voice reading it.

I love voice over . Loved it in Age of Conan especially the delightful Captain Aroyo .

Chamber of Chains
  • hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

op why do you think anyone cares about  your opinion.  play the weekend and then never play it, fine by me. you are not important at all, probably not even to the people that know you.

didnt realize if a game talks back to you it can not be considered a mmo, guess wow isnt either since it does the same thing now, only on a smaller scale.  oh wait, gw2 is gonna have voice acting, guess its not a mmo, so will archeage, guess it wont be one, wow thanks for informing us that there are no new mmos coming out again ever. 

mmorpg shut down the website, according to the op we do not have mmos anymore. 

by the way the game is not heavily instanced, just mainly your story areas, which i like cause nobody can really mess up my story with douchebaggery like the op here and of course the flashpoints(dungeons).  the point the op is complaining about is really what makes me want to play the game, and i have actually played it unlike him.

• StruggsStruggs Member Posts: 205

Originally posted by Wharg0ul
    So, for years people have been complaining that themepark games were boring, and grindy....with NPCs just standing around distributing quests like PEZ dispensors.
    So...Bioware gives us something different, and better.
    And suddenly it's "not an mmo" anymore??

Just like they give you a character story line and all of a sudden its a single player rpg.

imageimage

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Unless the lobby is the desert, the towns, the path in the trees and the whole of hoth and illum then yeah lobby. It's not like GW1 though that once you walk out of the town that you end up in a personal instance. If SWTOR did that i wouldn't consider it an MMO, just like i don't consider GW1 an MMO

However with Tor that isn't the case as many will find out in a few days. The only parts that are instance is a room here and there (yes a room not a series of rooms but a room) for the purpose of say breaking a structure for your class quest. You might after killing all the mobs and get to the back of said dungeon and see 3 rooms, one of which you can enter.

In most cases your in these instances long enough to talk to or kill one thing and you walk right back out.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

You can turn on subtitles; I keep them on all the time.  And there's also a quest log just like any other MMO.

• ElricmerrenElricmerren Member Posts: 295

There is a difference between serving no purpose, and not be used for any other purpose. In many mmos the players not the developers use the world and areas for what they desires, without caring what the devs had chosen as it's purpose. The devs have said that each world has a storyline tied to them thhat you can play, there is pvp areas, instances as well as free roamng in the worlds as well. If the players choose to ignore the fact of some of these purposes does that mean that they do not serve those disgarded purpose? No they are just not being used for those purposes as the devs had wished, but that is the choice of the players not the devs to skip or not use them that way, and does not negate that they have that purpose anyways. Is wow a mmo? IT is primaraly used as a lobby game with little reason to use the open world at all.

Also mmo stands for Massively multiplayer online games, you can not play with every character/player in the game, yet you have the option to play with anyone in the game out of a massive amount of players. No where does it state that a mmo has to be a open world game, but merely that you must have a large/massive playerbase to choose from to  play with even to where you could be playing wiht and against huge numbers. Also it does not state you even have to plaay with these people but that you just merely exist in a world of vast numbers of players that react as well as play differently from each other and npcs.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

To the OP, I completely get where you are coming from on this.  After playing the game myself, I constanty find the sidequest dialogue tedious and it throws the pace of questing/leveling way off.  It's great for Flashpoints and Class quests and maybe main story arcs, but for every single tiny little quest?  It does get in the way.

• Voracity2325Voracity2325 Member Posts: 40

Voice acting? BLASPHEMY! Decisions? SACRILIGE! I want my character to be that mindless brick with no personality. *sarcasm off* Even though some of us are not hardcore RPers, we do give our character some sort of a personality in the back of our mind (there are also those who don't and, playing WoW for 4 years I can say, those people are very boring). A character can show emotion through voice overs and affect the story with his personality you say? Obviously there is something wrong with that and it cannot happen! A little fallacy with the thread name... So voice acting makes this game not massively multiplayer online? So you are saying because of voice acting thousands of people can't log on via the internet and play together? Because in that case there is really a problem with voice acting.

For most people, character development and personal story ends upon clicking "Log in" if not "Start Game"