Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well this is different (a review)

2»

Comments

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Probably the best mmorpg i played for years

The cash shop was too unbalanced for my taste though

The day there's an english subscription server available, most of my guild & myself will be back in a heartbeat

Lucky Japanese, i think they do have such a server

Anyway, great review op :)

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by vladww

The day there's an english subscription server available, most of my guild & myself will be back in a heartbeat

The cash shop and Netmarble income is still heavily biased toward gambling for exclusive ships in the treasure boxes or premium tickets, I don't think that many players will tolerate this for long with less than a 5% chance of obtaining one.

We probably will not see a subscription server but I feel that the cash shop should be expanded to offer many of the ships and other buffs as individual items and the lottery to be made a kind of lucky dip at much less cost. 

The ops review is a well written description of the considerable UWO content available with the dungeon update on another thread, I would like to see more guidance in the way of end game goals and methods of achieving them.

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Well I'm sold. I've been playing for about an hour or two and I'm working my way through the Adventurer School. Would you reccomend I do all the lessons for the other 2 schools as well (merchant and mariner or w.e. the third one is, if that's even possible)? 

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

My recommendation is to start by doing all three of the beginner schools.  The game's conventions are so different from what you're used to that if you try to jump in and play as you might be able to for a typical WoW-clone, you'll quickly end up lost, confused, and frustrated.

Once you've done the beginner schools, try to go out and play the game for a while.  Sail to nearby cities, talk to NPCs, find some nearby trade routes, do a few quests, buy a bigger ship, or whatever.  Get some idea of what you're doing, and what you don't understand.

Then go do all of the intermediate schools.  Finishing one intermediate school gets you all of the European port permits, so that opens up a lot more things to you.  Don't try the level intermediate battle final until you've got a level 10+ ship, or else it will be too hard.

Once you've done the intermediate schools, go out and play the game a while again.  Search around more, try some more things, do some more discoveries or quests, and so forth.  Eventually you want to go do the advanced school.  You really only need to get those to the semi-final (do 10 quests to continue), as that gets you the information there.

You'll eventually want to do all of the advanced finals, but there's no dire rush.  Note that the final for each school gets you 4000 experience, which is actually quite a lot.  You'll probably want a level 17+ ship or so in order to do the advanced battle final.

You get some job change cards from school, which you should use.  You can switch to a job that you've previously held without needing a job change card again.  So when you have a card, it's nice to use it for a job that you haven't previously held.  You can get more job change cards from quests later, but the school cards get you a nice start.  I'd recommend using the adventuring job cards you get from school on helmsperson, biologist, and excavator, as those are the useful early adventuring jobs.

Also, if you get stuck on something, don't just get frustrated and quit.  Ask for help.  There are people in school chat who will answer a lot of questions.  I think I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to use consumables in land battle before I figured it out.  (Incidentally, that one is character -> equipment -> land battle items, and you have to register them before entering a battle.)

• SadarsaSadarsa Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by NortonGB

Originally posted by vladww

The cash shop and Netmarble income is still heavily biased toward gambling for exclusive ships in the treasure boxes or premium tickets, I don't think that many players will tolerate this for long with less than a 5% chance of obtaining one.

We probably will not see a subscription server but I feel that the cash shop should be expanded to offer many of the ships and other buffs as individual items and the lottery to be made a kind of lucky dip at much less cost. 

The ops review is a well written description of the considerable UWO content available with the dungeon update on another thread, I would like to see more guidance in the way of end game goals and methods of achieving them.

I agree, the cash shop is a crap shoot and i for one avoid it at all costs..  also it's asking for too much money for the things that  arn't crap shoots...   Like the item that lets you change your character's apperance. We all eventually get tired of seeing the same ole character and want a change... but unless you buy the Nearly $15 item, your stuck. waaay too much money for something that should already be in the game in the first place if you ask me.

Subscription server? the game is good yes, but 1/2 the reason i even started playing was that it was a free sandbox.

As to "end game content" this is a ideal that has sprung up in the last 10 years or so that for some reason people want to be taken by the hand and shown what to do...

It's a SANDBOX..  there IS no guideance.. make your OWN goals.. your OWN achievments

Games are not ALL about grinding to max level then gearing  out for some insanly hard dungeon, use your imagination... 

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Do you know how this game compares to bounty bay?(the eu version of voyage century)