Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim PROBLEM need help

tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Got Skyrim today . Run home happy ,installed ,clicking the launcher,,,

And..this is what i get as a message...

The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.

I used everything i know to get it somehow work. SO far nothing smae meessage every time i try to play.

Just so u know i formatted my pc i dont have anything thta may cause this problem i think in my pc, just skype,winzip,winrar

Motherboard g41mi-p28 Msi model

Graficks card asus EN GTS 450 DIRECT CU 1GBT MEMORY

4 GIGA RAM DDR3

WIN XP PROFFESIONAL SP 3

I updated graficks card drivers, i even installed those nvidia beta drivers that were supposed to be ideal for skyrim, installed the game 4 times .. nothing!!!!

After searching i noticed only this : Inside in a text file in skyrim named Skyrim default i saw exactly in the middle this message:

[GeneralWarnings]

SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

I tried to find in hard disk this blasted warnings. txt ,but couldnt spot it also,searched documents,games,program files its no where.

Pls ppl , i was so eager to play skyrim and im so desperate. Cant think of anything. If u have any ideas how to resolve this , i mean any ideas at all about what is this that its causing the problem yell !!

Thnks in advance.

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Try going ot the Steam Skyrim forums board.  I am sure you can find the information you need there.  :)  

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I think you do need Steam to play the game not sure if you have it or not but if not try getting steam and see if that does the trick

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

I run to a friend and he installed my cd and plays it normally he doesnt have any steam at all installe don his pc.... I ll break my head on the wall.

• ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

Did you install any mods? Same thing happened for me, but after uninstalling the graphics mod I had it worked fine again.. Don't know what else it can be..

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589

This is likely due to you missing some C++ library like things that the game needs to install in order to play visual studio or whatever.... there are a few things like that it would be but these can throw up errors for a crapload of stuff.... This may sound off but i do support for second life on the phoenix viewer... Go here http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=downloads and download lower on the page something called the Appfix download if you want either that or look up Visual Studio C++ 2005 SDK and other things like it and download and install them off of microsoft's site that should fix your problem....

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I just chatted with  a friend that had a similar problem, you have to have Steam loaded for it to work...won't work without it.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by Teala

I just chatted with  a friend that had a similar problem, you have to have Steam loaded for it to work...won't work without it.

Hmm, very odd.

I'm playing on two separate computers, one at work without Steam, and my home PC which has Steam. The game plays fine on both computers, so I just can't see how Steam could be the cause of the issue.

However, stranger things have happened. Can't hurt to install Steam and see if that rectifies the problem.

like i said its the visual studio stuff *shrugs* so many people dont install this stuff but alot needs it to be installed to work, i have seen this error happen with WoW, and quite a few other games, applications and other things.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Get WIN7 64 can't believe people still on XP lol

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by forest-nl

i too wonder why people still run xp since a lot of games require you to have DX 10 or higher and as far as i know XP doesn't run higher then 9.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

As far as I know you definatly need 'steam' to play. 

• DameonkDameonk Member UncommonPosts: 1,914

You need Steam to play the game.  Skyrim communiates with the Steam servers in order to authenticate the game.  Without Steam the game will not work.  I suppose there could be a bug that would allow you to somehow play without having Steam installed but it's designed to be necessary.

"There is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer."

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Just woke up. I ll try go to that Phoinix site Linadragon suggests. Supposely i have c++ installed but maybe some files are missing somehow or some file the game needs.

Ok 1 question about steam . When u mean i neeed steam u mean i should just click on the steam shortcut or i need also to login using existing account? or also i need to load the game via steam or something? i never used steam so far so i have no clue.

Forest-nl also suggests win 7 64 but i ve read so many times complains for win 7 users for various bugs especially in older games and in many games that sometimes i feel happy having xp. I think its the 1st game i meet that i encounter problems and im really blurred right now :/. I realise ofc that with win xp i have only 3 giga ram instea dof 4+ and also win 64 takes advantage of some newer technologies that win xp can not use .

• Lupinde3rdLupinde3rd Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by tazarconan

Just woke up. I ll try go to that Phoinix site Linadragon suggests. Supposely i have c++ installed but maybe some files are missing somehow or some file the game needs.

Ok 1 question about steam . When u mean i neeed steam u mean i should just click on the steam shortcut or i need also to login using existing account? or also i need to load the game via steam or something? i never used steam so far so i have no clue.

Forest-nl also suggests win 7 64 but i ve read so many times complains for win 7 users for various bugs especially in older games and in many games that sometimes i feel happy having xp. I think its the 1st game i meet that i encounter problems and im really blurred right now :/. I realise ofc that with win xp i have only 3 giga ram instea dof 4+ and also win 64 takes advantage of some newer technologies that win xp can not use .

You need to have steam installed and logged in for the game to work. I think this is just to activate it  at the begining you may be able to play it with out steam after this. I could be wrong though.

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

Just make sure you also have latest DirectX drivers:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

Then you go to control panel and make sure you have the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable installed as LinaDragon said.

Optional: If you want to see what goes on download Dependency walker, it's a small utility C++ guys use to see what a file (exe, dll etc) needs to run properly.

http://dependencywalker.com/depends22_x86.zip

Unzip, run, locate and open SkyrimLauncher.exe and check if there is any file (DLL) marked red at the treeview (Scroll down), especially MSVCP90.DLL OR MSVCR90.DLL.

If any of these files is red you need to install http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Steam issue. Need authentication.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

i dont know why people keep saying this really... if its a steamworks game it would force steam to be installed pretty much or should install it by default. What i said is a possible problem too..... Basically it breaks down to this. The game will not work if everything it needs to run including background apps and services is not installed, this may or may not include steam and it will definately include things like the C++ things however there are a number of things like the C++ libraries that are out there.... i'm almsot shocked that the installer on the cd wouldnt include it

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Sorry to say this but anyone who is saying he somehow run the game without steam is using a pirated copy which is the OP and one more guy in this thread. You can't run a steamworks title without steam. Or at least that has been the case for steamworks titles so far, I know that you at least need to authenticate them through steam once

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Tirinas

i too wonder why people still run xp since a lot of games require you to have DX 10 or higher and as far as i know XP doesn't run higher then 9.

I bought the game for my son and he loaded it on his steam account (is computer is win xp-3), it works fine on his computer but when I log on to his steam account with my (win7-64bit) computer skyrim will not run.  I tried to run it in 32bit mode but still nothing :(

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

If your problems depend on steam you might want to try install a  program that does bypass steam or download a cracked game launsher.  Horrible that game developers uses things like steam it does not prewent people from downloading games and play for free,it just makes problems for some honest people that actually buy the software

Maybe your firewall is blocking steam,try turn off the firewall.

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by tazarconan

Got Skyrim today . Run home happy ,installed ,clicking the launcher,,,

And..this is what i get as a message...

The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.

I used everything i know to get it somehow work. SO far nothing smae meessage every time i try to play.

Just so u know i formatted my pc i dont have anything thta may cause this problem i think in my pc, just skype,winzip,winrar

Motherboard g41mi-p28 Msi model

Graficks card asus EN GTS 450 DIRECT CU 1GBT MEMORY

4 GIGA RAM DDR3

WIN XP PROFFESIONAL SP 3

I updated graficks card drivers, i even installed those nvidia beta drivers that were supposed to be ideal for skyrim, installed the game 4 times .. nothing!!!!

After searching i noticed only this : Inside in a text file in skyrim named Skyrim default i saw exactly in the middle this message:

[GeneralWarnings]

SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

I tried to find in hard disk this blasted warnings. txt ,but couldnt spot it also,searched documents,games,program files its no where.

Pls ppl , i was so eager to play skyrim and im so desperate. Cant think of anything. If u have any ideas how to resolve this , i mean any ideas at all about what is this that its causing the problem yell !!

Thnks in advance.

You need to activate [register] the game thru Steam to play it (Playing the Steam version and even that doesn't actually require Steam to being running unless you launch thru the Launcher {to configure the game} as opposed to launching TESV.exe directly).

If you continue to have problems with the game (and you can get past the Character Creation part of the Intro) then search for my posts (Same Handle: SysOpPsyche) on the Bethesda Skyrim Forums for an INI build that will probably address most of them (though you may not like the feature setup - you'll have to search around for help with that - I check regularly and have a few users using my build so asking me IF your forum search turns up nothing should get results or at least leads on where to look).

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by Tirinas

Can't think of many games that require DX10 or higher. Most games are backwards compatable to DX9 if they do have DX10 or DX11 features. XP is an awesome OS and there really isn't a whole lot of reason to push up to Windows 7 unless you just must have DX10/DX11 visuals.

Battlefield 3

Hamilton's Great Adventure

Just Cause 2

Need for Speed: The Run

Renegade Ops

Shattered Horizon

Stormrise

Sword of the Stars II

The only 8 games I can find that will not run on DX9.

Let's not forget that most older games had EAX which doesn't work in Win 7 without a creative card and Alchemy and even then it can be problematic.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by SysOpPsyche

/snip

You need to activate [register] the game thru Steam to play it (Playing the Steam version and even that doesn't actually require Steam to being running unless you launch thru the Launcher {to configure the game} as opposed to launching TESV.exe directly).

If you continue to have problems with the game (and you can get past the Character Creation part of the Intro) then search for my posts (Same Handle: SysOpPsyche) on the Bethesda Skyrim Forums for an INI build that will probably address most of them (though you may not like the feature setup - you'll have to search around for help with that - I check regularly and have a few users using my build so asking me IF your forum search turns up nothing should get results or at least leads on where to look).

The TESV.exe fixed my issues :D

tks

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

As far as I know, the only reasons the game would give you this error is:

1. You pirated it.  It's problaby missing some core files/configurations.

2. You somehow managed to not install Steam or a portion of the c++ libraries.  I don't know how this would happen.  The game requires Steam, end of story.  You should able to install from the disk, then you will need a small patch from Steam.  If you are not getting this patch from Steam, the game probably wont run.

3. You didn't list your processor.  You computer is old by the looks of it.  There may be something hardware wise that is incompatible.

There couuld be some other odd reason, but it's probably one of those three.  Good luck.

EDIT:  If you want to force it to install from the disk, hold windows button + r, or 'run' in the start menu and type this:

C:Program FilesSteamSteam.exe" -install %your dvd drive%:

So mine for Windows 7 would be:  C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteam.exe" -install D:

Xp lose the (x86).  Just use your dvd drive at the end.  Try this.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

You definitly need steam to run it. But another issue that may pop up and has for many including myself, is after the "Betheseda" pops up it crashes to desktop. The fix here is to go to sounds inside control panel and set it to 44100Hz.  It doesnt matter whether its 16 or 24 bit. The game just doesnt like to use sound over 44100Hz.