Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why doesnt Darkfall satisfy the crowd that want a Elder Scroll MMO?

1235»

Comments

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Skyrim missing any PvP. 

Skyrim missing any co-op play.

Skyrim missing Clans, Guilds and political immersion.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• DrakedudeDrakedude Member Posts: 5

http://www.embersofcaerus.com/content.php/137-The-Vision

No, this is not spam, and yes, it relates to the topic of an (but if i dare say it, potentially even better) mmorpg similar to the elder scrolls)

This game is in development possibly for 2015, the developers are the most active I've ever seen with thier community (they reply on almost every related thread, and I've talked to them personally online) and they are in effect, sheer, pure, undiluted epicness. Read this, drain the gallons of drool it causes, and weep that you do not currently possess a time machine to travel to its release date. Also, there are more blogs. :D

P.s there are livestreams of the game being developed on thier facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forsaken-Studios/171963932867544) (click on any and i think you'll see what lee perkins currently working on)), and on thier youtbue page (http://www.youtube.com/user/ForsakenGameStudios) theres an engine test which is quite bloody impressive considering that at the time they'd only had 6 weeks with the engine, (they've been in development for a bit over 9 months, perhaps a year), and a soundscapes video which showcases some concept art and sounds from the game. That is all. Enjoy! :D

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Originally posted by Drakedude

http://www.embersofcaerus.com/content.php/137-The-Vision

No, this is not spam, and yes, it relates to the topic of an (but if i dare say it, potentially even better) mmorpg similar to the elder scrolls)

This game is in development possibly for 2015, the developers are the most active I've ever seen with thier community (they reply on almost every related thread, and I've talked to them personally online) and they are in effect, sheer, pure, undiluted epicness. Read this, drain the gallons of drool it causes, and weep that you do not currently possess a time machine to travel to its release date. Also, there are more blogs. :D

P.s there are livestreams of the game being developed on thier facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forsaken-Studios/171963932867544) (click on any and i think you'll see what lee perkins currently working on)), and on thier youtbue page (http://www.youtube.com/user/ForsakenGameStudios) theres an engine test which is quite bloody impressive considering that at the time they'd only had 6 weeks with the engine, (they've been in development for a bit over 9 months, perhaps a year), and a soundscapes video which showcases some concept art and sounds from the game. That is all. Enjoy! :D

Looks similar to DFO but hopefully better for their sake...going to follow this game now :)

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Skyrim missing any PvP. 

so basically

skyrim is missing multiplayer

and

darkfall is missing skyrim

Embers of cearus had my interest until i heard in an interview they were liekly going with more traditional mmo combat which means no twitch based pvp. This instantly put me off. The game was founded by members of the Mortal online communtiy but dont let that put you off they really have assembled a large talented team and the game has some interesting features but i just dont think i can stomach another tab target mmo

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Are you sure about that? From i've seen, i've been given the impression that combat will be skill-based, so a source would be handy. I'm checking on the forums now, however.

I can now conclusivesly say that it will be aim based in the most part, and when its not it will be in very specific cases and not nessecarily combat or damage related. It will also be as twitchy they can make it while bearing in mind that its an mmorpg. This should give the best explanation: http://www.embersofcaerus.com/forum/showthread.php/424-Twitched-based-combat-without-tab-targeting-right?p=6901#post6901. Phew! :D You might want to rekindle your interest. :D

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Grahor

Those who want Skyrim mmorpg are sadly mistaken in their desires. There is absolutely nothing in what makes Skyrim great that can be moved to mmorpg model.

The main great thing about Skyrim is that every little thing you do sticks. You kill somebody - it does not respawn - the Story is changed - it will not change back. Can't be done in mmorpg setting.

Why can this not be done in an MMORPG setting? It would be quite hard to do it because then you would have to repopulate with unique mobs but you could have a random mob generator that does just that. And you could have raid bosses that are never respawned which means the devs would need to constantly create new raid bosses.

It would be very hard but not impossible. Problem is that the MMORPG genre is moving more and more towards having less persistence (more instances, repeteable quests etc) so the persistant element of MMORPGs are slowly going away, replaced with repeatable themepark content.

As for this game... well there are so many things poorly done in this game, ranging from UI to GFX performance to solid system for PvE and the dev. team seems incapable to do much more with the resources you have.

To create an Elder Scroll MMO you would really need a massive budget and innovative sollutions for some really difficult problems and I doubt very much that Aventurine is capable of that. You need a big money studio investing a huge amount of money on a risky project and that simply wont happen, they rather put their money in a themepark which has a greater chance to give them their ROI.

So technically I dont think it is impossible to create an Elder Scroll MMO but reality on the ground makes it highly improbable.

You might want to read the thread on the link i posted last, and how they're doing it! :L :P :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

If I don't like something in Skyrim. I make a mod or if it is made already, I download a mod and change/fix OR even add it.

I trippled Oblivion's world size with TONS of new land mods.

Added hundreds and hundreds of hours of quests with quest mods

added tons of monsters

added the need to eat/drink/sleep

downloaded new races (most are lame though, but there were some that fit with lore)

IMPROVED graphics because players made good texture mods

IMPROVED gameplay, by making the game harder/monsters harder/leveling harder

As for Skyrim, its new to new to see what mods will be made for it...

But my point is. With Elder Scrolls, I can mod the game...HOW I WANT TO PLAY. In an MMO, I'm forced to play how the developers want me to play

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by deathshroud

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Skyrim missing any PvP. 

so basically

skyrim is missing multiplayer

and

darkfall is missing skyrim

Embers of cearus had my interest until i heard in an interview they were liekly going with more traditional mmo combat which means no twitch based pvp. This instantly put me off. The game was founded by members of the Mortal online communtiy but dont let that put you off they really have assembled a large talented team and the game has some interesting features but i just dont think i can stomach another tab target mmo

I'm sorry sir but your are just plain wrong.  Here's proof to the contrary.

http://sandboxer.org/?p=255

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

i heard it in an interview with the lead developer over on a sandbox website when he was aksed if the combat would follow suit with mo and darkfall and be twitch based, he replied that they seen the issues and problems resulting from this sort of system and would prefer to go with a more traditional mmo fare interms of combat, prehaps a form of hybrid.

http://www.thesandbox.mmosmacktalk.com/?tag=embers-of-caerus

the interview is here

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200

I've played both Darkfall and the Elder Scrolls of course, I like open world/do whatever you want games and I find that they have similar combat and have very similar settings, skill systems, etc..  Both games have their ups and downs.. Skyrim is more realistic... I guess Darkfall is more of an MMOFPS, it misses a lot actual RPG elements..

Mortal Online on the other hand I can consider an actual RPG similar to The Elder Scrolls...

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Darkfall is too shallow, compared to The Elder Scrolls.

And its far worse made.

Iam sorry, but everything I do in Skyrim, I can also do in a current gen MMO.  Hey I can even explore,do Dungeons, and quest

in WoW, if I wanted to, just like Skyrim.

so please, explain to me, how a Skyrim/ES MMO would be any different

I don't know anything about Darkfall other than its a FFA pvp game ( never played ). However, saying you can do everything in Skyrim in World of Warcraft is just not true.

Player housing ( multiple towns )  - more than just i have a house, but at least in one instance you have to gain notority to do this and it makes you a bit of a "noble" of that town

Faction alligment  ( empire / cloaks ), other "guild" alignment

World reacts and changes to your decisions

taht said, making an MMO out of skyrim is not as clear cut as it seems of course. What is most interesting to me is that the things i do change the world around me. Events change the world around me.... That is what makes skyrim very immersive.

In addition the ORDER in which i do things in Skyrim is completely up to me ( as level ranges for areas don't really exist )

So sandbox exploration - CHECK ( in the order I wish and the order I do things has impact on other areas of the game )

Sandbox  skill system - CHECK ( no forced leveling proecess by class or by where you can / cant go )

------

These  are just a few, but moreover I do not know a SINGLE MMO in existence today with a world that changes over time, based on things I do and as result my interaction with the world will be different if i :

do things in a different order

make different decisions ( join one faction or the other  ) etc.

Where I as a player can help sack a city/town and change that town's presence on the map forever. In skyrim you can do this...

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Darkfall and skyrim are not the same. I cant think of 1 thing that is similar with both of these games.

If only skyrim had a risk like when you die, you lose all your gear and you then have to retrieve them, but if you die twice, it disapears for ever, then i would approve.

If skyrim ever becomes an mmo, it should be done like diablo, but with a risk to lose you're gear. It should be that way. Bring out what you are willing to recraft or rebuy.

Games of this generation, you have the feeling that you will never die. I just hate that cuz at the end, its not a challenge and i rather check a youtube walktrought in that case. Save and load pretty much ruined it for me, but its there. I cant just ignore it.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif