Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most discussed MMO on MMORPG.COM- Skyrim

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I really wish there was something in the MMO genre worth talking about, but everything is feeling rather stale atm.  I have to say, I think I'm on a MMORPG.com burnout. When I first joined the site, I was pretty excited about taking part in things. I signed up for beta's and was very active in the forums.  Lately however, I post once in a while and didn't even bother signing up for the beta of SWTOR. GW2 feels like an endless wait and my anticipation is starting to slide towards the thought of games even further down the road. The games that are hardly talked about.

World of Darkness has a certain captivating feel. The feeling of something you know is desirable but yet cannot see. The whisper of greatness created by the fondness for things unknown.  It's like the attraction of a well dressed woman, showing glimpses of what is hidden yet actually exposing little.

It's how I used to feel about GW2. The slow and paced reveals were like a dance of seduction, gradually exposing bit by tiny bit. Driving us insane with desire to know the truth, to know all the secrets. But where is that desire now. They have one last class to reveal, yet I know what secret is hidden so it holds no enticement.

The Secret World seemed interesting when I knew nothing but the name of the factions, and had already found a home within one of them. They had a few great trailers but that was it. A name shrouded in mystery. Now it's starting to feel like another conversation that one has had too many times before. Where is the luster? Where is the allure?

Maybe I am alone in this. Maybe it's only me feeling like I have absorbed too much, and ruined the sanctity of that which is to come. Maybe I am of a quiet few that have a passion for the unknown, the lust for discovery.  Or maybe I am echoing the same cries that others have uttered before me, and it's only now that I am learning what they have known.  Maybe the games are simply a faux-pleasure wrapped in the guise of subtle secrets and pretend rewards. A way of selling one nothing by slowing revealing it's truth over such a long duration that one forgets they have purchased nothing, and instead create the lie that it was entertainment for which we paid, not a fallacy.

Meh, no point in stopping now.  

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by Cruoris

comparing the concept of MMO's to Skyrim is silly.

no matter how great Skyrim is (and it is) it would be infinitely better if it were all that it is now PLUS being an MMO.

Skyrim is an excellent game that failed to implement any MMO features.

just because a really awsome novel is written, doesent mean that movies are a bad idea.

You should explain that a little better.

Character development, harvesting, crafting, housing, cooking.

Dungeon after dungeon, with dynamic quest generation.

The only aspect of an MMO that Bethesda didn't implement was the connection to a server and other players.  Other then that they've put to shame every studio that's put out an MMO in the last 8 years or so; at least in my opinion.

Skyrim is exactly what Starvault is attempting with Mortal Online.  If they had Bethesdas financials and payrroll there would be a game very similliar to Skyrim in the MMO genre today. 

I think the only reason developers aren't really taking a shot at an MMO like Skyrim is because they're woried that there wouldn't be a big enough market to justify it.  When the largest MMO's on the market are the complete opposite of a game like Skyrim, they look at that and just assume that that's what people want.  They've been pushing the same game on us, with slight changes in graphics and setting, for over about a decade now.

Bethesda, or any company with the balls to make an MMO like skyrim, would be sitting on a game with a multimillion subscriber base.  Personally, I don't think Bethesda is dumb enough to NOT make an MMO; which I do believe they are already in the process of doing; it won't be an Elder scrolls MMO, but that doesn't mean it won't take place in Tamriel.

@Eyelolled, World of Darkness was shelved indeffinetly, and CCP laid off 20% of thier workers; they were probably all the devs for WoD.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't discuss it nor care much for it because the design is a single player game,much easier to pull off than a MMO.

Does this really have quality?Example buildings have insides and not all instances.Are viewing areas large or typical console smallish?

Biggest question of all,is it just another Wow type game following quest markers around?I NEVER liked hand holding in games what so ever,it detests me.I don't want arrows nor anything telling me where to go,where to jump,what level to pull ect ect.

Basically another Wow but in single player mode would be even more painful,no way could i do it .not even if someone bought the game for me.So is it open ended or painfully linear?

I miss my old days of good rpg's example the Might N magics and Wizardry series. Even Ultima was a good game for it's time,these new games all seem like they are turned out of a repeating factory line.

SO TRUTH be told,is this just the same old or not?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Originally posted by Wizardry

I don't discuss it nor care much for it because the design is a single player game,much easier to pull off than a MMO.

Does this really have quality?Example buildings have insides and not all instances.Are viewing areas large or typical console smallish?

Biggest question of all,is it just another Wow type game following quest markers around?I NEVER liked hand holding in games what so ever,it detests me.I don't want arrows nor anything telling me where to go,where to jump,what level to pull ect ect.

Basically another Wow but in single player mode would be even more painful,no way could i do it .not even if someone bought the game for me.So is it open ended or painfully linear?

I miss my old days of good rpg's example the Might N magics and Wizardry series. Even Ultima was a good game for it's time,these new games all seem like they are turned out of a repeating factory line.

Is Skyrim the same old? 

No it's not.  There's no hand holding, with the exception of markers to let you know where you have to go.  You can turn off floating objective markers so that you have to actually FIND the guy you need for a quest.  The world map has markers so that you can figure out were you're going; someone posted in another thread that they modified some .ini files and removed them.  I personally wouldn't be able to play without the markers on the map, there's simply to much space and I wouldn't like to spend several hours trying to find the entrance to a cave or a dwarven ruin concealed in a mountain. 

But then you can use the clairavoyance spell and it'll show you what way to go to find your objective as long as you're chanelling the spell.  Even with markers, I've had to use the spell.  Trying to find your way up a mountain isn't always easy.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Those old games don't hold a candle to Skyrim...sorry.    Oh and yeah I have played all those old games - so I know what I am talking about.  Skyrim is the single best, as is, right out of the box SCRPG I have ever played.    :)   I really only wish Bethesda had added just a few more things - like combat from horse back and such.  Go check out my wish list for this game over on the general gaming forum.  :)

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Uhwop

Is Skyrim the same old? 

No it's not.  There's no hand holding, with the exception of markers to let you know where you have to go.  You can turn off floating objective markers so that you have to actually FIND the guy you need for a quest.  The world map has markers so that you can figure out were you're going; someone posted in another thread that they modified some .ini files and removed them.  I personally wouldn't be able to play without the markers on the map, there's simply to much space and I wouldn't like to spend several hours trying to find the entrance to a cave or a dwarven ruin concealed in a mountain. 

But then you can use the clairavoyance spell and it'll show you what way to go to find your objective as long as you're chanelling the spell.  Even with markers, I've had to use the spell.  Trying to find your way up a mountain isn't always easy.

OMG yes, even with the markers on the compass it is not as easy to find a place as one might expect.   During one quest I had to constantly use clairvoyance to try to figure out where to go...it isn't always so clear cut as it may seem.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Teala

I really only wish Bethesda had added just a few more things - like combat from horse back and such.  Go check out my wish list for this game over on the general gaming forum.  :)

No worries there, as the modding community will appease your entire wish list and more.  Just gotta give em a little time, but they also need the dern Construction Kit to release and soon!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Bainwalker
    #3.  TES as an MMO would have to be a sandbox game with FPS controls and full loot.  Maybe 5% of you pansies would be able to handle that
    This "pansy" is not in need of pixel fighting and button mashing to feel good about himself. I am not a seeker of stress in my "fun time" activities. I also have no inclination to play sandbox games for this very reason.

You can have the sandbox games.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by elocke

I think we're all so excited because Skyrim is delivering whart so many MMORPG's fail to give us players - a living breathing virtual world.

BINGO!  I don't know why this concept is so hard for MMORPG developers these days to wrap their heads around, I mean they started as worlds.  Suddenly we're being deluged with these F2P shallow lobby games or worlds the size of small islands(rift, cough, cough).  I really hope the new training program for developers is to play Skyrim first THEN come up with MMORPG ideas and designs.

Not sure this will help the development of a good MMO either. Remember that the 'play through recors' is 2h16m, and that's what the MMO developers will take as a reference then :D

Nah... Best thing we can do is wait till Bethesda will finally listen to us (MMO lovers) and make an Elder Scrolls MMO game. Now I'm very sure that THAT would indeed kill WoW ;-)

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

My guess is that it's because there's nothing else to do.  Many bright lights on the horizon but none of them are here right now.  Skyrim's release occurred at the tail end of a major lull in MMO activity.  It's timing was perfect.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Truth be told I'm having a hard time taking this post seriously. It just screams "I'm trying really hard to be hardcore and oldschool" to me.

Skyrim like WOW ? what? There's no similarity between TES games and WOW, none what so ever. I mean come on now what was the last RPG you played? Wizardry? Have you given Drakensang, Divinity 2, Morrowind, Oblivion (moded) or the Witcher a try? Those are just a few examples of games that have by far surpased most RPGs of the past...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Unlight

My guess is that it's because there's nothing else to do.  Many bright lights on the horizon but none of them are here right now.  Skyrim's release occurred at the tail end of a major lull in MMO activity.  It's timing was perfect.

Meh after getting Skyrim I haven't touched TOR, and my excitement for it has worn very thin. Not to say I won't give it a go at launch as playing with my guild will be a different experience. But as many have said playing Skyrim definitely makes the shallow nature of MMO's all the more apparent.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Reizla

Originally posted by elocke

I think we're all so excited because Skyrim is delivering whart so many MMORPG's fail to give us players - a living breathing virtual world.

BINGO!  I don't know why this concept is so hard for MMORPG developers these days to wrap their heads around, I mean they started as worlds.  Suddenly we're being deluged with these F2P shallow lobby games or worlds the size of small islands(rift, cough, cough).  I really hope the new training program for developers is to play Skyrim first THEN come up with MMORPG ideas and designs.

Not sure this will help the development of a good MMO either. Remember that the 'play through recors' is 2h16m, and that's what the MMO developers will take as a reference then :D

Nah... Best thing we can do is wait till Bethesda will finally listen to us (MMO lovers) and make an Elder Scrolls MMO game. Now I'm very sure that THAT would indeed kill WoW ;-)

I'm not sure if your missinformed or just dont understand TES games.  They are not about just following the main story.  I've played 10+ hours and I've barely scratched the main quest.  And that 2h16m only applies to the main quest.  It doesnt involve any dungeon exploring, loot getting, side quests, or faction chains.  Also, an elder scrolls MMO would not be anything like the elder scrolls we have today, no matter who made them.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Distopia

Meh after getting Skyrim I haven't touched TOR, and my excitement for it has worn very thin. Not to say I won't give it a go at launch as playing with my guild will be a different experience. But as many have said playing Skyrim definitely makes the shallow nature of MMO's all the more apparent.

What makes a good SRPG is very different than what makes a good MMO. I am looking forward to playing SWToR with my mates. I will be leveling most of the time with a good RL friend. We will be partnering with Guildies for flashpoints / warzones etc. Social interaction makes games more fun for me. I can still enjoy a good SRPG, but the times I will play one is pretty limited.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I'll agree, based on so many comments I've read, that Skyrim does a great job of delivering a proper RPG experience.  I just doubt people would be howling at the moon and throwing their panties on stage if the release had been a few months from now, once the current crop of games comes out.  SWTOR is kicking off a pretty large surge in MMO activity that's going to run for the next few months.  Had Skyrim released in the middle of that, we wouldn't be talking about it nearly as much -- we'd be busy elsewhere.

I'm not detracting from the game.  It would be the same high quality -- but it would have to compete against some real heavyweights.  Right now, there really is no competition.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I'll agree, based on so many comments I've read, that Skyrim does a great job of delivering a proper RPG experience.  I just doubt people would be howling at the moon and throwing their panties on stage if the release had been a few months from now, once the current crop of games comes out.  SWTOR is kicking off a pretty large surge in MMO activity that's going to run for the next few months.  Had Skyrim released in the middle of that, we wouldn't be talking about it nearly as much -- we'd be busy elsewhere.

I'm not detracting from the game.  It would be the same high quality -- but it would have to compete against some real heavyweights.  Right now, there really is no competition.

I think your partially right.  I think Skyrim would still have sold as many copies, and got as much praise as it has had. And likely would be discussed just as much as it is now.  The only difference is that there would be discussions about other games (like SWTOR) to help drown it out.

Example:

If I'm screaming loudly in a room by myself, then I'm being pretty loud.

Now, if you get 10 of my friends in there and we all scream together, well now my screams dont seem that loud even if I never changed my volume.

I really don't know about that TBH maybe the MMO only oriented players might, but as a gamer in general with only so much time, I go where my biggest interest lies.

There are aspects you can get from an MMO that you can not get from a game like Skyrim, which is why i'll still play TOR. However my biggest interest in gaming is open-endedness which TES games deliver in spades,  while MMO's have been moving far away from that. If MMO's were still designed like UO or SWG I'd probably feel differently. As it stands MMO's just aren't my personal go-to right now.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Picklebeast

Isnt it interesting that the most discussed thing on MMORPG.com is... A single player game made (essentially) with Console Gaming in mind?

I do not want to discuss Skyrim here, its flaws or merits- Rather I want to discuss why a single player game is currently the best "MMORPG" out right now... Or at the very least- Its the most interesting.

Is the genre that bad, that stale? Is Skyim that good??? Seriously, this is probably the biggest MMO site out there and the hottest topic for the last week (or longer) is Skyrim- Or at least it seems that way. And its notjust here- Every other MMO forum I frequent sems to have Skyrim as its hot topic.

Personally, I think this says a whole lot ablut what us MMORPG lovers have to choose from in terms of solid games. How many of you still play an MMORPG? I havnt in probably a year...Still...Waiting...

-AND right now we are on the heels of a Star Wars MMO which (not wanting to discuss this either) I feel is a WoW clone and isnt going to hold gamers attention very long... But at least we currently have a game worth hype. What  if it fails to deliver, what then???

Thoughts?

Its the combination of MMORPG's being stale right now AND Skyrim being that damn good. As far as RPG's go I prefer old school JRPG's myself. But skyrim would be a top MMORPG if it was MMO and not just RPG.

The console comment is false on everything but the UI and your feelings on TOR (which I share) had no place in this thread. The only real reason they could be there is to incite flames and/or trolling. Why put them there?

• DirkzenDirkzen Member Posts: 144

Skyrim is a gream MMORPG because you don't have any connection problems,  or log-in screens,  or generic-feeling questgivers,  or people standing around in one goddamn place shouting  'LFG ULBR'  'LFM'  'NEED TANK -  3000+ GS'  'SELLING _____!  PST WITH OFFER'

No goldspammers.  No assholes.  No griefers. 

Just you, by yourself or with an A.I. controlled companion in a world where people actually act like fucking people,  not like 12 year olds or 30 year old manchildren trying to race to the endgame for pvp or content.

Brb.  Playing Skyrim.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Why do people care more about the MMO than the RPG?

Plus it's int he right forum.

The MMO devs should have been learning a LOT from the stand alone market over the last 6 years or so. Instead they keep pumping out the same carbon copied crap.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

^^ this

No bitchers.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Is the genre that bad, that stale? Is Skyim that good???

yes, and yes.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Isnt it interesting that the most discussed thing on MMORPG.com is... A single player game made (essentially) with Console Gaming in mind?

I do not want to discuss Skyrim here, its flaws or merits- Rather I want to discuss why a single player game is currently the best "MMORPG" out right now... Or at the very least- Its the most interesting.

Is the genre that bad, that stale? Is Skyim that good??? Seriously, this is probably the biggest MMO site out there and the hottest topic for the last week (or longer) is Skyrim- Or at least it seems that way. And its notjust here- Every other MMO forum I frequent sems to have Skyrim as its hot topic.

Personally, I think this says a whole lot ablut what us MMORPG lovers have to choose from in terms of solid games. How many of you still play an MMORPG? I havnt in probably a year...Still...Waiting...

-AND right now we are on the heels of a Star Wars MMO which (not wanting to discuss this either) I feel is a WoW clone and isnt going to hold gamers attention very long... But at least we currently have a game worth hype. What  if it fails to deliver, what then???

Thoughts?

Yes, the MMORPG genre REALLY is that stale.

I have dabbled just a tad bit with EQ2 at random times this year, but yeah, almost a solid year, and no MMO's for me. the best part? i quit waiting on a good one.

Not everyone is waitng on SWTOR.  i could care less about it tbh. however, i hope the game delivers what the people want, for those anticipating it. if SWTOR fails to deliver, people will cry. that's about it.

my thoughts? Skyrim, in a very short time, already gave me my most epic feeling from ANY GAME EVER!!! i killed two dragons in the same fight, with the aid of a random giant and the wandering poet guy. after the fight, i paid the wanderer to sing for me, a song about the Dragonborn's return, while i stood on a rock and stared at a large moon. the giants radius are less aggressive after fighting dragons together!!!! so he just watched us. dope!!! and the song!??!?!? THE DRAGONBORN RETURNS!!! epic song.

• baldernonobaldernono Member UncommonPosts: 96

My opinion, i think it reveals something important about today

Most people are bored by nowadays mmorpg. They have the feeling that each game is a copy of another, that they are using the same recipe again and again, that they are just here to make money and as long as they find their quotas to pay their cash shop (since they all go F2P...) they just do the minimal

Lot of them realize they have more immersion, more fun with that single rpg games than with a mmo one. They just think "WTF", they can do epic single game but they are not capable to make an epic mmorpg.

Maybe it is impossible, maybe mmorpg has his limit in term of innovation. i don't know.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

so, so true.