Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: 'What Is a Lord British Ultimate RPG?'

2»

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

~ looks at phone ~

~ looks at Richard Garriott  ~

~ looks at phone again ~

~ snears at Richard Garriott ~

I'm sorry but I'm just not seeing the mobile mmo working out.  I mean really,  how the hell am I suppose to get immersed in a game on such a small screen with my thumbs blocking half the screen.  Ipads...Ah No,  nothing mobile about them.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I would have to agree with the comment Damon Offord left on the blog.

Every time I read something Richard Garriot writes it just comes across as an attempt to make himself look relevant. 

He refers to Ultima as being his attempt at making the ultimate RPG.  Then NCsoft gives him millions to make a new MMO and he makes TR?  About as not ultima or ultimate as you can get.  

He refers to basically all other MMO's to come out after UO to be "generic fantasy".   Yet he made a generic sci-fi mmo that tanked in near record time.

The first clue that Richard Garriot can't make a game, is the fact that he made 10 ultima games.  Sure people liked them, I never got into them.  He can come up with some good designs, but his story and fiction is aweful.  He's the last person I want to hear talk about developing good fiction when he made 10 of the same game.

Who cares what you did 20 years ago when you haven't been able to do anything sinse.  EA will never work with this guy again because it's always about him and not the game.  The guys been preaching about his new social games, yet he's never once actually talked about the games themself, it's always a frigging thesis on himself.

Narcissism at it's finest.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

The Third Grand Era of Games: Social & Mobile Gaming  as he calls it, will not produce the next RPG to end all RPG's I'm afraid. His failed a lot since Ultima and his gone into this area to play it safe for his next project, I doubt he'll bring a revolution to the social gaming scene as his stated in a interview last year. I'm willing to be bet it will be more an evolution that will still offer the same shallow crap ass gaming designed to make you micro pay through it.

The Third Grand Era of Games: will be the era of the faster paced twitch reaction MMO & motion MMOing/ Online gaming. Mobile gaming always been there, social gaming gamers are made up of people that are not gamers if that makes sense. Which another reason his going to these people to make games for.

• hazyhazy Member UncommonPosts: 89

You're all retarded anything Ultima or Garriot related is gunna be good. Even though I hate facebook and have never made one I would make one to play a new form of UO.

• DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by KyBo

Isn't this browser-based, facebook game fad over with yet?  I mean seriously, how many more of these low-cost, quick shot money-makers that die off within a few months need to be released before the A.D.D. FB crowd stops playing them?  Hopefully not many more, because those "Amy found a pig!" messages were seriously getting annoying until FB added a way to block them.  As for Garriott's theory that a game that keeps your interest for years is somehow inferior to a game that can be figured out iwithin minutes, at which point you are asked for your credit card # goes to show that he doesn't understand as much about gaming as he apparently likes to think he does.

Who could possibly contain their excitement for Ultima: FARMVILLE?!  

I sure as hell can. 

Garriots next major Rpg game (New Britannia) is considered a social game but he has said it will not be a browser game, it will be on their portalarium plugin which is just basically a web-based launcher of regular computer games.  Garriott is not working on farmville type games, rather he is working on regular games that are launched through the browser, similar to all the asian mmos and I've heard battlefield 3 does that as well.  Most of the people on this thread seem to have completely no idea what Garriott is actually working on.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I only read quoted bit above.. im sure he is saying his ultimate RPG is a a super dumbed down version of ultima where you get everything in a few mins..

WTF wont be playing anything he does again...

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215

Considering that there are no technical limitations to putting a game as elaborate as Ultima Online in a browser, i'm sure the issue lies in greedy publishers and a casualization of the market.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Richard is a genius.. and contrary to what might be some opinions, he is for the mmo industry what Steve Jobs was for the computer industry.

So, at least, lets give him the respect a guy that has been in the computer gaming industry since it was born and in an active role truly deserves.

Tabula Rasa for instance, was a great game..

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by EduardoASG

Richard is a genius.. and contrary to what might be some opinions, he is for the mmo industry what Steve Jobs was for the computer industry.

So, at least, lets give him the respect a guy that has been in the computer gaming industry since it was born and in an active role truly deserves.

I hate that it comes across so negative, given his recent passing...but what on Earth do you think Steve Jobs did for the computer industry that was good after the mid 80s?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

You all can bash facebook games all you want, but many developers would kill for companies revenue like Zynga. They are worth a billion dollars. 

• Todd_FuryTodd_Fury Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Excalaber2

Wait am I missing something here?  Wouldn't Game B be a dummed down web game and Game A have the full UO game client?  Or is he trying to say make believe game B was the same exact functioning game as game A but within facebook?

The obvious difference is Game B sounds like it would be crap and game A was the best MMO of all time.

This man knows what he's talking about.

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214
    I have 0 faith in that game, but hwo knows.
    Farmville became very popular and that game is a joke.

Its quite clear what audience he is looking for and im not 1 of em
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by salenger

A lord brittish RPG atm is basically a large cock sandwich..... seriously ho wmuch more is he going to talk and not do anything...Garriot has been doing this for years now without any evidence of backing it up, i think its just an attention grab...well never seen anything decent from this guy again i feel.

In honesty i hope he proves me wrong and gives true RPG fans a game to fall in love with, that is outside of the normal themepark genre, and delivers where the sandbox games do not.

He just realized that most people prefer facebook and cellphone crap to real games and decided to make MMOs alá Farmville and Angry birds.

And he is right too, the real money lies in stuff like that. Of course saying it like that would be suicide.

I have a friend who is the female singer of a Black metal band, she also sings in a rather fine selling lousy pop band which she herself hate. But everybody have to eat and even Lord British needs to earn money some ways.

If he want to play something deep and intelligent he probably plays pen and paper games, that is how he started before he made computer games at all and no computer game is even close to a P&P game in depth.

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by EduardoASG

Steve Jobs done nothing for the computer industry, what he was, was the best marketing promo that ever was. I do agree that Richard Garriot was the supremo and inventor of the MMO.