Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Reasons Skyrim Should be an MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com's Managing Editor Bill Murphy has managed to pull himself away from Bethesda's Skyrim long enough to write The List about Skyrim and why he believes it would be a great MMO setting. Check out why Bill thinks so and then let us know what you think in the comments.

Trust me, that’s not what I’m saying. But like Oblivion before it, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim just reeks of fantastic ideas for a sandbox MMORPG. Todd Howard has outright said he’s not interested in a TES MMO and so maybe that means all your fears of Elder Scrolls being ruined by other people can be laid to rest. Maybe it just means that Todd Howard doesn’t want to do one, while the rest of Bethesda does. I don’t claim to know these things; I just like to pontificate about them. All that said, consider today’s List not an exercise in how I think there should be an MMO based on Skyrim, but why it would be cool to have that world brought to life with other people. Let’s get down to business shall we?

Read more of The List: Five Reasons Skyrim Should be an MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I missed the 'sandbox' reason... This that should be your #1 for sure :D

• TKEmilTKEmil Member Posts: 5

Actually had the same discussion with a friend, with the exact same points.

However, I personally feel that it would be much more fitting as a mini-MMO, limited to about a hundred persons or even less. This is mostly because of the size of the world. Even though it is huge it would be impractical for each player to have a unique house(think about a thousand players).

but I can't help thinking that if they decide to make it multiplayer or even a MMO that the core game would suffer.

Also a note I would add is that, while crafting is quite good and extensive, the gathering of materials(especially ores) is quite tedious since you just have to wait 5 seconds and then recieve the materials. This should probably be a mini-game. Same goes for the rest of the "jobs" you can do in the game.

Regads 

EKN

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

It will NEVER happen period stop wishing.

And i realy hope it will never happen is the BEST RPG series out there and Skyrim is aweome SOLO game that should stay SOLO.

So many MMO'S already and the ONE RPG that's solo but feels it have a similar world like mmo you wanne change bah:(

Lets cherrish this MARBLE, so few RPGs that give you a huge open world with total freedom in solo game should stay solo.

I think if they made it a MMO it would be dumb down so much into a themepark whole game would be a disgrace to the SOLO counter part.

Elder Scroll forever SOLO!!!

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

Maybe it would be nice as a small group multiplayer :)

• SomartSomart Member UncommonPosts: 61

after about an hour of playing skyrim i sat there and said to myself, why arent MMO worlds like this. why arent they believable, why are most of them a path of quests from lvl 1- 50/60/70/80? I always imagined an MMO set in either the Wheel of Time universe of Game of Thrones would have to be like Skyrim. Give them the world, fill it with things, and let the players do what they want, not force them to play a set class on a narrow path. For IPs like Wheel of Time and Game of Thrones (and any other beloved IP), most people would just want to be in the world and have the freedom to do what they want, and that is where an MMO with design features like Skyrim would shine. 

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Brought the very same thing up with the roomate who also plays.   I would want it to be a full MMO..but maybe a 2 to 4 player co-op.  also the abiltiy to trade across games would be nice too.  I think seeing thousands of other players would ruin my immersion though. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

No way. Leave it as single player, we have enough MMO, and I don t want someone ruining my amazing experience with this game.

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

My opinion?  It should be a multiplayer game with persistent servers that each have thier modding capabilities and can hold up to 100 players for example at a time.  Then, it would add countles replayability.  Sort of like how NWN was, but with more allowed players.  

So, esentiialy I would think you start over at level 1 for each unique server you join.  That could be fun :)

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

I think the biggest reason on that list is a classless system.  I still to this day think going classless was a step forwards in MMO, not backwards.  It allows you to be what you want to be.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by forest-nl

It will NEVER happen period stop wishing.

And i realy hope it will never happen is the BEST RPG series out there and Skyrim is aweome SOLO game that should stay SOLO.

So many MMO'S already and the ONE RPG that's solo but feels it have a similar world like mmo you wanne change bah:(

Lets cherrish this MARBLE, so few RPGs that give you a huge open world with total freedom in solo game should stay solo.

I think if they made it a MMO it would be dumb down so much into a themepark whole game would be a disgrace to the SOLO counter part.

Elder Scroll forever SOLO!!!

No one wants a dumbed down version as an MMO, that would defeat the point.  Theres actually FAR more games that give you total freedom as single player games than there MMORPGs that do it.  No MMO since UO has given the type of freedom that many people want.

Plus, you already have your solo Skyrim, why be selfish for no reason and not allow others to have an MMO version?  Not changing whaats in your hands.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

There are tons of reasons imaginable why a mmorpg with Skyrim aspects would be awesome, yet there are a ton of reasons why Skyrim itself should be a single player experience. So yes; for another game, not for Skyrim :)

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

It would be a great MMO in theory. However, people would turn it into a macroing bot fest like Darkfail or find some other way to exploit the same freedom that makes a game like that good, and ruin it for everyone else.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Skyrim provides a much better Virtual World experience than 90% of MMORPGs. I've been slowly coming to terms that what I like is NOT MMOs, but instead virtual worlds. Just happened that some of the first Virtual Worlds I came across playing games were MMOs. Now with games like Minecraft, Oblivion, Skyrim I really think these games are better... so yea to agree with the peons here, should never make it an MMO, it's already better.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by teakbois

Plus, you already have your solo Skyrim, why be selfish for no reason and not allow others to have an MMO version?  Not changing whaats in your hands.

Because Bethesda would need to develop that MMO version and thus would be incapable of developing TES VI or Fallout 4 at the same time.

It is changing what's in my hands in a few years.

I first want my new Fallout made with this new updated engine. Then, maybe, you can have your MMO.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by Meltdown

Skyrim provides a much better Virtual World experience than 90% of MMORPGs. 

point me to this 10% please

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Originally posted by Meltdown

Skyrim provides a much better Virtual World experience than 90% of MMORPGs. 

point me to this 10% please

UO was a good Virtual World back when I played it years ago, Xsyon MO and Darkfall provide decent virtual worlds but suffer from lack of funding and resources. Think there is a Tale of Desert VI or something like that, haven't actually played it. Umm... Wurm Online, Second Life, there are more than you think, just most suffer from a lack of funding or are as old as dirt. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• tanektanek Member UncommonPosts: 63

I agree with your last paragraph.  Leave TES as a pinnacle of single-player gaming, but go ahead and improve MMO gaming by bringing in some of the features.

Something to keep in ming when it comes to multiplayer games (especially MMOs) is that the addition of other players fundamentaly changes the storytelling ability of a game.

--Do you have the same events play over and over so all can experience them? (Even GW2 will do this, though it sounds better than a more "traditional" MMO in that events will chain and you won't have immediate, immersion-breaking repeats.  I hate waiting in line for a quest boss to respawn, you know?)

--If you don't rerun the same content over and over, how do you manage to have enough to keep the game going? You know players will burn through it like it is tissue paper over an open flame.

--Do you make instanced story moments for single players or small groups so it does not interfere with (or get interrupted by) the thousands of other players?

--Do you use some manner of phasing? If so, will it make playing together with others more duifficult?

Add to that the additional overhead required and all of a sudden there is less time and money for developing the game itself.  No, we need to have the single-player games like this available out there and, from what I have seen, Bethesda and TES has some of the best of the bunch.  I don't know that making an Elder Scrolls MMO would ruin it, but it would certainly change the game experience that so many have come to expect.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

Skyrim is already an mmo.. those npc you see.. most of them are real players.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by gobla

Because Bethesda would need to develop that MMO version and thus would be incapable of developing TES VI or Fallout 4 at the same time.

It is changing what's in my hands in a few years.

I first want my new Fallout made with this new updated engine. Then, maybe, you can have your MMO.

Agreed. Lets not interrupt these boys and girls from doing what they do best; giving us the best single player sandbox games ever made.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Negative.. I do not want to see a full fledged MMO.. HOWEVER that is not to say that I would not enjoy a seperate multiplayer function like a detached Arena mode that has nothing to do with your created characters and makes you create a seperate character to level up in some sort of PvP. With Steam intergration this is quite possible because Steam seperates Multiplayer from single player (just look at the breakdown of games being played).

All Bethesda would have to do right now if they wanted to, is take a small chunk of the code and work it inside a few re-done "Arena" style maps that they either create or make from locations within the world. From there they could set it up as a free downloadable extension via Steam.

It could work and the only thing that they would need to work on (or recieve help with) is the online code , which I would think Valve would agree to help with, seeing their extensive knowledge with multiplayer games.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

One HUGE reason why it should not, Bethesda could not make a usable UI if they tried.  Pathetic example of a company that has no clue when it comes to designing a UI for PC games.

It is a shame too as they do design fun games for the console crowd.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Originally posted by coxyroxy

Maybe it would be nice as a small group multiplayer :)

THIS. i would rather buy my own server and allow a few friends to play along with me like minecraft.

• saitoh183saitoh183 Member UncommonPosts: 53

Originally posted by Leucent

No way. Leave it as single player, we have enough MMO, and I don t want someone ruining my amazing experience with this game.

How would this affect this game...If it were to happen, its not like they would remove Skyrim from the selves and make it a mmo...its the aspects that we want not the damn game...take all the qualities of  Skyrim and make a new game with it. 

It would be cool if they would add multiplayer like  Dungeon Siege

GW---> (Ranger/Mesmer)Dark Raziel

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Originally posted by EduardoASG

Skyrim is already an mmo.. those npc you see.. most of them are real players.

LOL wait a minute none of them have told me "omg d00d your DPS sucked on that dragon" or "wow your gearscore is terrible".  so they can't be real players.

:p

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

I would, however,  love to have limited multi player capability with Skyrim. I would love to share the world with my wife, a friend or two, a few other roleplayers. Not a full MMO by any means, but I just do not enjoy solo games like I used to. I would love to share it with a few, select folks though.