Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim Difficulty lvl

We have read from player 1st impressions some ppl complaining Skyrim is easy or not that difficult.

Truth is i was afraid of something like that.

So anyone that played the game already can enlight us and  give us any detailsand insights?

It s easy cause enemies fight stupidelly in combat (bad A.I.) or it is easy cause of numbers? Enemies do few dmg have low life etc? cause that could be probably get fixed maybe with mods.

Also enemies suck if player is caster or bow user or melee focused?

From what u see so far playing with 2 weapons ( duel wield ) makes combat very easy aka cheat almost slaghtering eaasy many enemies around? (1vs 4-5)

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

PC is a bit easy on master level, but the thing is as with the previous titles someone will simply create a 'make it harder' mod, its almost a tradition :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by tazarconan7

We have read from player 1st impressions some ppl complaining Skyrim is easy or not that difficult.

So anyone that played the game already can enlight us and  give us any detailsand insights?

It s easy cause enemies fight stupidelly in combat (bad A.I.) or it is easy cause of numbers? Enemies do few dmg have low life etc? cause that could be probably get fixed maybe with mods.

From what u see so far playing with 2 weapons ( duel wield ) makes combat very easy aka cheat almost slaghtering eaasy many enemies around? (1vs 4-5)

for me the difficulty is a bit all over the place. If I keep it on adept it's [edit] easy [/edit] until I come across a boss or some such thing. If I amp it up the diffciulty is fine until I come to a boss and then I die a lot of times.

Heck, last night I went down into a silver cloak stronghold (one where dead werewolves are hanging around, their heads being mounted, etc, and it was easy until the last room where i died somehting like 7 times.

It wasn't until I figured out a deent strategy that I was able to make it through.

Havng said that, the elder scrolls games were never about being hard.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

I'm finding it pretty solid so far only on normal. Some enemies are a cake walk, especially when I stick to the main quest but when I go exploring dungeons, caves, houses and just random enemies around things get a little difficult. I've blasted through enemies only to come to the dungeon boss and get ripped down.

I play SnB so not sure about dual wielding. I haven't found it stupidly easy though. 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Default is pretty well balanced in my opinion. Unlike Oblivion, there are creatures and npc's out there that can one shot you if you are not careful. I personally avoid some encounters because of the danger. You will die now and then in Skyrim.

But there is some scaling involved: I played through a particular quest with a hard npc to kill at level 16, my flatmate played through that at level 26 and he had an even harder time getting past it. So I think at least damage / skill levels and healthpoints get increased at higher levels.

My impression: more of a challenge than Oblivion's easy mode leveling-list system.

• hazyhazy Member UncommonPosts: 89

I'm playing at the default Adept difficulty and I think its really good. Some fights are way harder than others. Sometimes you have to strategize and sometimes you can just hack n slash but in general I think the difficulty is near perfect.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I think the difficulty is fine for players who run in guns blazing so to speak.  I found that if you take your time and use any tactics at all it can be too easy for the most part.  Bosses are certainly harder though.

It might be too easy for me since I raise anything I kill and let it take the initial onslaught :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

On Master some fights can be nearly impossible at lower level without bugging the AI.  I had to turn the difficulty down a notch (Expert?) to get through them.  Once you are higher level and decked out in geared you can handle most fights.

There is some scaling.  Not nearly as bad as Oblivion though.  You'll still encounter low level enemies that you'll one shot.  At lower level there will be lots of enemies you have to flat out avoid as they'll one shot you.  In a typical bandit lair for instance at lower level you'll only be fighting bandits and maybe bandit outlaws, but at higher levels you will still find bandits and bandits outlaws as well as much more difficult marauders and thugs.

I think the game does a really good job difficulty wise.  It's pretty much equivalent to old school RPGs (Wizardry, Might & Magic, Bard's Tale) on Expert setting.  Getting started can be rough (on higher difficutly), but once you get through the first few levels it becomes much easier, just like in old school RPGs.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Difficulty, of course, is subjective to each player's skill.  But that's also part of the challenge for video game companies: to make a game that can feel "just right" for the largest possible skill spread of players.  

Being the first TES game I'm actually committing myself to playing, I'm playing on the default difficulty for now.  I've been pleased so far.  There have been many moments where I've had to temporarily run for my life to go heal up and then proceed to kite my enemies around while slowly wearing them down.  

While I'm certainly not far enough through the game on either save file to make any definitive assertions, physical fighters with high defenses feel stronger, or at least *safer,* to me right now.  My first character was a full mage because dual wielding magic was just so darn fun.  At around level 9-12, enemies felt so much tankier.  I would go completely OOM before I could burn down even one enemy (and yes, I had appropriate magicka regen and cost reduction gear/perks for the spells I was using,) leaving me to conjure up a magical axe and hope for the best (or begin abusing the hell out of magicka potions.)  On top of that, I was of course incredibly squishy.  I hadn't gotten far enough up the Alteration perk tree to get the vital mage survivability talents yet.  

My next character, a tanky paladin-esque fighter with some magical buffing abilities and who crafts his own superior armor, handled everything my mage handled with much more ease.  But, of course, that could also be because I had improved as a player at the game as well. 

It should also be noted that you can choose to play entirely solo or with a companion for almost all of the game.  The companion (not to be confused with the Companions) can really help make parts of the game much easier, effectively making this another difficulty toggle option.  

I just got chased by an ice wolf (on expert) that kicked my ass.

didn't even bother taking my name. image

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

I think mine is set on default right now, and thats where I like it.  I've restarted my game like, 4 times, trying new builds from the start and seeing different things and sure enough I've seen different stuff every time I've restarted, even when going through the same areas.

But I noticed that early on, the mage is tough to work with,  but going a melee route is the toughest if you have absolutely no ranged capability.  Going an archer route seemed to be the easiest... I was able to solo anything and everything including a few dragons, giants,  spriggons...  atronachs... etc -  all before level 7.   Yes, these fights took a while,  but they were a lot of fun, and losing aggro by having a high sneak is really easy.

Even in melee range a well placed shout does wonders for the archer even when you have large groups after you or if you aggro too many.   

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by tazarconan7

Remember in oblivion when you just jump on rock enemy could not reach and stand there being slaughtred without hitting you ones.

Well they change that by let npc/mobs staying far away from you but its still almost same most are easy to kill.

Its fun both most encounters are not much of a challenge.

Im liking this game becouse of huge world go anywhere you want and everything looks beautifull exploring is blast.

But i wish there was more  mobs/npcs its to manytimes way to empty.

But there is also fun moments to watch like mammoth fighting wolfs and sabertooth tigers awesome to see.

Or suddenly a group of hunters shouting to stay away or they attack you hehe.

Suddenly in night a Gohst on horse without HEAD lol.

Im maybe bit negative about game but its still worth my 50euros playing it.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

So far it's been fairly decent for me (sword and board, with a little archery, currently level 6), as the 'run of the mill' enemies are fairly easy to kill, whereas a strong enemy with a two handed weapon will absolutely slaughter me if I don't have room to maneuver. Giants on the other hand just punt me across the map and laugh hysterically.

Other than the one from the story mission, I haven't had the chance to square off against a dragon. I plan on heading up to Solitude to join the Legion today though, so maybe I'll get (un)lucky.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

If you increase the difficulty, it's pretty decent. If you let yourself get led around by the nose by the main story,then it's not too challenging. But if you go off and do your own thing, you will get killed quite often. I've already been killed a handful of times by really difficult dragons swooping down and grabbing me, then throwing me off a cliff. Once I was stomped by a giant and launched a couple hundred meters in the air lol.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I think mine is set on default right now, and thats where I like it.  I've restarted my game like, 4 times, trying new builds from the start and seeing different things and sure enough I've seen different stuff every time I've restarted, even when going through the same areas.

But I noticed that early on, the mage is tough to work with,  but going a melee route is the toughest if you have absolutely no ranged capability.  Going an archer route seemed to be the easiest... I was able to solo anything and everything including a few dragons, giants,  spriggons...  atronachs... etc -  all before level 7.   Yes, these fights took a while,  but they were a lot of fun, and losing aggro by having a high sneak is really easy.

Even in melee range a well placed shout does wonders for the archer even when you have large groups after you or if you aggro too many.   

There are so many class combinations I want to try out in this game.  Next on my list is definitely a semi stealthy ranger who lays down magical traps and runes all over the place.  

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Rednecksith

So far it's been fairly decent for me (sword and board, with a little archery, currently level 6), as the 'run of the mill' enemies are fairly easy to kill, whereas a strong enemy with a two handed weapon will absolutely slaughter me if I don't have room to maneuver. Giants on the other hand just punt me across the map and laugh hysterically.

Other than the one from the story mission, I haven't had the chance to square off against a dragon. I plan on heading up to Solitude to join the Legion today though, so maybe I'll get (un)lucky.

I realy dont understand why all of you have earge to go for the main  Dragon mob in the game so fast if its kind of race lol.

Ive not seen any dragon yet and dont care at the moment i know there somewhere out there but im exploring doing quests on the way crawling ruins and dungeons.

Loved watching mammoth how they move or fight wolves sabers was awesome i enjoy scenery for while instead race to end game haha.

Maybe ill see dragons in few weeks im playing on my own pace and put in 300hours if i see dragons in few weeks fine by me but im not in hurry i wont go to GRAND FINAL in my first 10-20 hours lol.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Originally posted by forest-nl

I realy dont understand why all of you have earge to go for the main  Dragon mob in the game so fast if its kind of race lol.

Ive not seen any dragon yet and dont care at the moment i know there somewhere out there but im exploring doing quests on the way crawling ruins and dungeons.

Loved watching mammoth how they move or fight wolves sabers was awesome i enjoy scenery for while instead race to end game haha.

Maybe ill see dragons in few weeks im playing on my own pace and put in 300hours if i see dragons in few weeks fine by me but im not in hurry i wont go to GRAND FINAL in my first 10-20 hours lol.

There are dragons all the time.  It's not just a 'grand finale'.  Pretty sure you have to do at least a -few- story missions to get your first dragon shout and fight your first dragon.  It's probably recommended, in fact, to get the ball rolling even if you're not going to do the story all at once.

Originally posted by Sheista

There are dragons all the time.  It's not just a 'grand finale'.  Pretty sure you have to do at least a -few- story missions to get your first dragon shout and fight your first dragon.  It's probably recommended, in fact, to get the ball rolling even if you're not going to do the story all at once.

That's true.

They said that Dragons are just like any other mob. There is a storied reason they are there but the idea is so that players don't wait to see them until that 'special' time. With the exception of the named dragons.

And yes, if you don't do the storied mission where you kill your first dragon then they won't be seen. Well, unless there is some cave somewhere that has some named dragon to be found. Don't know about that.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I saw a Dragon within the first 10 minutes of the game. I didn't (wasn't allowed to) kill it but still.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

I got attacked by two blood dragons at the same time today. I'm not sure if the game is supposed to do that to you. It was horrible. It took me at least 30 tries to get out of there alive. I left Lydia there as bait. Strangely enough she survived.

Like someone said earlier, the difficulty goes up and down. Delved through a dungeon filled with draugrs (which I have no problems with) and then at the end there was first this mini-boss that took half my HP in one hit and then a boss that could pretty much two-shot me from afar.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by BarCrow

I saw a Dragon within the first 10 minutes of the game. I didn't (wasn't allowed to) kill it but still.

Everyone sees that, as its part of the origin story.  They're talking about following the main story after escaping from being beheaded.  Even Todd Howard said you have to get to a certain point in the storyline to make the Dragons start appearing regularly and the further you progress the more random encounters will appear.

{spoiler}

After the Jailbreak you head down the path to Riverwood, then shortly after there you skirted off to Whiterun where you meet the first Jarl, and then a dragon appears and you're tasked to help the Dark Elf {forgot her name} in killing it, and I do believe that is the trigger to make them start appearing!  {I only just got to this point after 9hrs ~ busy doing tons of other stuff, and not too concerned with following the main story directly or too quickly}  Anyone could easily get to this point within an hr or two, but I'm taking my time and enjoying everything slowly, and I'm also waiting on mods to make it even better, thus no rush!

{/spoiler}

Other than that, I'm playing it on Master {hardest difficulty} and don't plan to adjust it lower at anytime, regardless of how hard something kicks my ass.  I'll just play like games of the past required, try a different tactic each time until you win, or give up in shame and return later when you're more powerful....muhahaha

So far I've had my ass handed to me more times than I can count, and I really need to learn to quicksave more often but I'm having a great time thus far!

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I rarely died in Oblivion or Morrowind... I die a lot in Skyrim. It's not that it's a lot harder... It's just 'smarter'. The much improved AI mixed with the kinda random scaling makes it a game where rushing in is definately NOT the best strategy. You have to be a lot more tactical in this game than any TES game before. Some encounters are very easy but then there are others that will hand you your ass fairly quick. In this game when you see a group of Bandits you really have to make a game plan before you engage as there may be some very powerful ones mixed in with the group. This goes triple for Mage and Stealth type characters.

Overall I would say the dificulty on 'Adept' is perfect for what 'Normal' should be in a game. Of course you can make it easier or harder if you prefer but if you do make it harder be prepared to reload a lot. This definately isn't like Obivion or Morrowind in the difficulty as it's a lot more all over the place like a good 'Open World' game should be.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

Playing on highest difficulty isn't too easy at all... It's just right. And yeah, killing a boss could be really hard. Certain character builds are even too hard for me on master level..

Yeah, I'm coming to the conclusion that the reason I take down some mobs and npc's is that, let's face it, to them I'm a bad ass.

However, not but 20 mintues ago I was running around in circles healig myself and getting in fire attacks because some bandit chief was kicking my butt.

Nothing heroic in that but I wonder if there should be a scream like a little girl feature when a player does that?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Master level & potions/scrolls to help out seems good. Nice balance getting through a dungeon while worrying that a boss may be around the corner.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89

Im not an expert from Morrowind nor Oblivion. Played Morrowind no more than maybe an hour or two, and only ran through Oblivion once, didnt even do all the side quests.

So when I fired up Skyrim for the first time, I didnt care to change the difficulty, so I have been playing on Adept and now im level 28. So far I have had everything from easy to impossible encounters. Everything has kind of been reasonable(?) to me. Loving it so far.

Im playing a very sneaky character, I dont know if that makes things easier or harder. I open all fights with sneak attacks and try to remain hidden. It seems to become easier and easier now and if I want to, I guess I can just up the difficulty any time I please, like one of the hints at loading screen said,  but I dont really care that much. Im not planning on playing this game for a year, I have other games coming my way soon :)